PDA

View Full Version : Nippon Ichi Software

FireEmporer
December 19th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Has anyone Besides me Played games from Nippon Ichi Software? Some of them Are La Pucelle: Tactics, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, And Phantom Brave. (Those are the ones Released in The US... Was the Sequel to Rhapsody ever Released?)

They are (Mostly) Strategy RPGs (I'm not calling PB a SRPG... It IS cool, but has no strategy required) And Have cute little Chibi Sprites.

pokejungle
December 19th, 2004, 05:50 PM
never heard of them. What platform are they for?

SBaby
December 19th, 2004, 06:00 PM
They are for PS2. Most people probably won't be too familiar with them, since they really weren't openly advertised, except in a few magazines.

Yes, I've played all three. My favorite, by far, is Disgaea. That game is so freaking awesome. Plus, the story is hilarious, ranging from exploding penguins, Power Rangers gone bad, to robots that actually pronounce their beeps and blips. Not to mention the huuuuuuuuge array of anime jokes...

Go above Level 100. Heck, while you're at it, go all the way up to Level 9999. It's fun! Especially when you Transmigrate, get there again, and are almost twice as strong.

Then there's the Dark assembly (typical politicians). Pass bills or get rejected. All depends on how many gifts you give 'em.

Every item has a dungeon that is up to 100 floors. So in a sense, you're never bored.

But, yeah. Freaking awesome!

pokejungle
December 19th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Sounds like an awesome game! =3

I wish I had a PS2 >> [Acutally i don't =P ]

Kairi
December 19th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Go above Level 100. Heck, while you're at it, go all the way up to Level 9999. It's fun! Especially when you Transmigrate, get there again, and are almost twice as strong.
Well yes and no. It’s actually possible to transmigrate and have fewer yellow bars if you do it too soon. And you lose some weapon mastery, too. Maxed Armsmaster is a must when CoO3ing. XP

Then there's the Dark assembly (typical politicians). Pass bills or get rejected. All depends on how many gifts you give 'em.
I just kill em. Much easier. XP
Every item has a dungeon that is up to 100 floors. So in a sense, you're never bored.
Only Legendary items have 100 floors. ^_^ Regulars have only 30.
Just some random facts to show you’re not the only Disgaea geek here. XD

SBaby
December 20th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Well yes and no. Its actually possible to transmigrate and have fewer yellow bars if you do it too soon. And you lose some weapon mastery, too. Maxed Armsmaster is a must when CoO3ing. XP

I just kill em. Much easier. XP

Only Legendary items have 100 floors. ^_^ Regulars have only 30.
Just some random facts to show youre not the only Disgaea geek here. XD

Glad to see I'm not the only one that plays this game.

I actually never went all the way down a Legendary item yet. (I'm still on the Cosmic Blade) I usually get higher weapons on Prinny Day (I have 8 of the penguins).

Killing the assembly is actually required to open up the two hidden characters and Baal. They will NEVER approve these three. (Of course, killing Baal gives them all high opinions of you.)

Armsmaster is always nice when Transmigrating. In fact, I do recommend having specific equipment just for the purpose of Transmigration. That makes you retain alot more.

And, yeah. I'd never recommend Transmigrating on anything less than Genius.

(Oh, almighty Space Pirate, Steal thine equipment from thine foe, Uber Prinny Baal, so I mayest defeateth mine foe!)

pokejungle
December 20th, 2004, 10:55 AM
You guys are both uber-geeks...xP

But, if I had that game, I would be too....xD

If it were for GCN I'd have, it really sounds cool ^^

Kairi
December 20th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Uber Prinny Baal’s stuff is really bad. It’s already level 100, but its stats are such that he never killed any of the item generals/kings/god. Not to say it’s not a collectors items. XP

I’ve been to the bottom of a Cosmic, a Galactic Staff, and a SuperroboSuit. I’m working on maxing out Flonne, since everybody does A Divine Majinn anyways.

SBaby
December 21st, 2004, 11:35 AM
Yeah, Divine Majin is like on the top of my list in each game. The thing's more powerful than Laharl!

Flonne is interesting because if you take the time to build her up, she gets pretty nasty with higher equipment and levels.

As for the Prinny items, I know they're not the best, but think of what it's like getting them when you only have Arondight as the strongest weapon and have never maxed out your item levels... You sit there thinking that nothing could possibly be more powerful. Of course, you end up being wrong after seeing other items. (The Prinny Items only bring your Attack and Defense up by 40,000 each... It's not like they make you invincible, or anything... lol...)

Have you ever tried teaching someone every attack in the game? Isn't that fun? I haven't been able to yet, but I've been working on it for over a year.

Kairi
December 21st, 2004, 12:09 PM
Thursday’s proficiencies though make him even stronger. Even without being able to equip the Yoshi, that 150% makes all the difference.

Flonne with all the Tera spells and plenty of nice items is MUCH more fun than a Majin. Cause she’s cute!

And no, I haven’t. I’ve just been working on Flonne, though I have been playing PB more than Disgaea. So. XP

Which brings me to the original poster’s point. PB *does* have strategy. You can’t just send all your units out at once. You’ve got to play more conservatively, confining as you go. And with protection, and confinement, your units aren’t always going to be these pillars of consistency they are in most other SRPGs.

Then there’s leveling. In Disgaea, this means getting a level 300 statistician into your equipment, then doing Winged Slayer runs of CoO3 or BoE. In PB you’ve got to balance your work between mana harvesting, confinement bonuses, and improving your equipment. And your Bottlemails, for taking away items to help you do all of this.

SBaby
December 24th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Oh, God. Phantom Brave was a nightmare until I actually got more people. I'm the type of person that likes to have all of my characters pick off enemies one by one. With Phantom Brave, you can't do that.

Of course, now it's not an issue. Prinnys actually stay around long enough to do whatever you need with them. But earlier, I needed about 20 characters all even with the enemies just to survive the drawn out maps.

Then there's the last boss... If he wasn't killing my characters, they were running out of time destroying the crystals. Of course, I had 20 characters at around Level 115 then, so I managed to out-HP him...

Thing I'm waiting for: Battle with Baal. (Don't tell me he isn't there. Every Ichi game has him in it.)

Kairi
December 24th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Ohh…yeah, *giggles* he’s there. And I could take him. I had no problem with Sulfur or the level 2000 rematch with him.

PB is fun once you get a rhythm going, and completing the story takes more strategy than previous NI games, provided you don’t use Random Dungeons to uber level.

SBaby
December 26th, 2004, 09:44 AM
That's the thing though. You have to go through Random Dungeons to open up some of the secret maps, so it's unavoidable.

Kairi
December 26th, 2004, 10:40 AM
You can’t open them up until after you finish the game though.

And another thing PB does is give you quite a freedom deciding how you want to play through. You could take pretty much any type of character and make them how you want with fusion. Sure it makes a little generic quality amongst characters, but it gives you a reason to at least replay the story part. Disgaea was a blast, but the only reason to replay the story is to see the various endings.

FireEmporer
January 1st, 2005, 10:12 PM
I've played Phantom brave again, and it does require some strategy. I really didn't like the No grid system though, Because Attacking would get messed up some times... The character would end up walking back and forth. Chapter one and two required no strategy, so I stopped, and recently started again. Fear my team of Puttys and Fallen Angel Flonne!