PDA

View Full Version : I want to be famous for being me!

Bluerang1
June 19th, 2011, 06:34 PM
"Reality" shows are everywhere, and lots of people want in on them to get their 15 or maybe even longer minutes of fame. What do you think of said shows and the "stars" they create? They can be entertaining and informative, gives us insight on others' lives. They can also highlight truths about society that we'd rather keep hidden. Discuss.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
June 20th, 2011, 05:43 AM
The "stars" of the reality shows I watch aren't "rising stars" as much as they are "fugitives on the run from justice."

I really don't find reality shows (except for the true crime ones) particularly interesting, and I'm probably the person you'll meet who's most out of touch with that kind of thing.

Oryx
June 20th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Omg I hate reality shows so much. Like for example, I had ambivalent feelings towards Glee until I saw that it had created a reality show, and then I went straight to hating it. I also hate the fact that Americans won't watch Ninja Warrior unless it's a reality show so that's how they made it in The American Ninja Warrior or whatever it's called.

My sister is obsessed with reality shows, such as Jerseylicious, The Dog Whisperer, and Kitchen Nightmares. I watch them and I'm just like "....why?" ;_; Honestly, I don't even feel like what happens on there is real life actions. They pick the most dramatic, angry people and put them together on purpose just because fights bring ratings. They give the girl that cries the hardest challenge so they can put her crying and saying something like "I JUST CAN'T HANDLE THIS" on the commercials. It's ridiculous and these people are directed to not act like the average person because that would be boring and no one would watch that.

Esper
June 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I like the occasional documentary and some shows with a 'reality' component, by which I mean it has some unscripted content, like Mythbusters, but I don't want to watch a bunch of non-professionals doing nothing important and whining about it. I don't really watch reality shows so that might just be my impression of them though.

Either way I don't think they'd tell you much about human nature except what some people would do for 15 minutes of fame, which we already know.

Cherrim
June 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I don't... really understand "reality" shows. I never have, even way back when Survivor took to the airwaves and everyone was absorbed in it. :s It just seems so fake and, if it isn't, then I find it boring. The only ones I watch are the competition-based ones and even then, I'd prefer to watch a gameshow over them almost any day, since at least those don't usually require you to tune in each week so you don't miss something important.

I think the cake shows like Cake Boss and whatnot count as reality shows, and I love stuff like that. Like Scarf said, the documentary-esque ones with professionals are pretty interesting, so I find those to be worth watching if the subject is neat but the other stuff? No thank you.

Oryx
June 20th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I think the cake shows like Cake Boss and whatnot count as reality shows, and I love stuff like that. Like Scarf said, the documentary-esque ones with professionals are pretty interesting, so I find those to be worth watching if the subject is neat but the other stuff? No thank you.

See, I hate Cake Boss, but I love that show that's like Amazing Wedding Cakes or something. It's real, they make cakes for real people, but it's not dramatic, it's not competitive, it's just...cool.

Cherrim
June 20th, 2011, 03:23 PM
See, I hate Cake Boss, but I love that show that's like Amazing Wedding Cakes or something. It's real, they make cakes for real people, but it's not dramatic, it's not competitive, it's just...cool.
I mostly just like seeing them describe and create the cakes. I could care less about the people in it, I just like the cakes. I also like the competition-based ones, though I don't think I've seen the one you mentioned. :B So long as I have something like artistic cakes to focus on, I mostly ignore any characters/people in the TV show. XD

TRIFORCE89
June 20th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I don't like the term "reality show". It's just so broad now. It's considered... like anything that isn't written (or at least, expressed as such).

I still watch Survivor, The Apprentice, and The Amazing Race, mostly because my family watches it and I'm in the room. XD I'm not all the invested in the shows. Everything got boring in all of them after the second season. Heck, I don't even watch the crazy stuff in the beginning of American Idol anymore. They're all fun at first. And then they each get really samey really quick. I don't care about the personalities. So, that there's a different cast in competition each year does nothing for me. You see Dancing with the Stars one year and its the same as any other year.

I like food competition shows. Like Iron Chef or Chopped. I love Top Chef too, which would be a food reality-competition show. I watch Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes on occasion. I think I'm about done with Cake Boss though, I like the cakes, but the people annoy me lol I can't take his sister's voice anymore.

I used to watch The Mole. That was an awesome reality-game show. There wasn't a focus on the cast or fights or anything. It was kind of like a living version of Clue (no murderer lol You had to figure out who the saboteur was), and you as a viewer at home had to try to figure it out alongside the cast. But it always had trouble with the ratings :c So, after two seasons it had two seasons of a celebrity version. Which defeated the point of the show because then it became about the personalities and not the game. And now the show is long dead.

For "follow-me-along-on-my-daily-life" kind of shows... I used to watch Gene Simmons' Family Jewels. I like how despite his hard rock and roll demon image, he's just a dad and a family-man. It was genuinely interesting. He cared about his family and they'd goof around with each a lot and I always got a laugh out of it while watching. But again, it gets old fast. So, I don't watch it anymore.

Shining Raichu
June 20th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I hate 95% of reality shows. They're uninteresting and the networks use them as a cheap way to make money rather than going to all the effort of actually hiring actors and writers to make quality television.

The two reality shows I did watch were Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List and Little People, Big World. Kathy Griffin was just a hilarious show, some of the funniest TV I have ever seen; and Little People was great because it was an incredibly benign show that was just about a nice dwarf family and their adventures, and there was not one ounce of fame-grabbing in the entire thing. But both shows have been cancelled now, and with them the last nails in the reality TV coffin were finally put in.

If you get me started on Jersey Shore or any of the crap E! or MTV brings out, I may punch somebody.

Bluerang1
July 3rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
It turns out some of these people are getting paid big for doing nothing. No wonder so many people are interested in doing reality TV :/