PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 Discussion Thread

Captain Fabio
June 26th, 2011, 04:24 AM
http://www.declankerin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/formula1_logo.jpg
Formula 1 Discussion Thread

Well, if you didn't know, the F1 race in Valencia is on RIGHT NOW.

This thread is to discuss anything to do with Formula 1 and I will update this thread when the race has finished and make it pretty!

Race calendar:
British Grand Prix
Silverstone, 8-10 July

German Grand Prix
Nurburgring, 22-24 July

Hungarian Grand Prix
Hungaroring, 29-31 July

Belgian Grand Prix
Spa-Francorchamps, 26-28 August

Italian Grand Prix
Monza, 9-11 September

Singapore Grand Prix
Singapore, 23-25 September

Japanese Grand Prix
Suzuka, 7-9 October

Korean Grand Prix
Korea International Circuit, Yeongam, 14-16 October

Indian Grand Prix
Greater Noida, 28-30 October

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Yas Marina, 11-13 November

Brazilian Grand Prix
Interlagos, 25-27 November

DISCUSS!

shenanigans
June 26th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Watching it right now, although I only just started. Valencia looks beautiful omg. ;-;

Not a massive amount surprising going on right now, tho like I said I haven't seen much of this particular race. Hamilton in 7th struck me as a little bit odd. What happened there?

Captain Fabio
June 26th, 2011, 04:28 AM
The only problem with the beautiful Valencia is the sheer heat!

As I speak, Hamilton has gone up to 6th, overtaking MSC! From what I saw, he was dragging at the start and couldn't get his speed down.

Nuke
June 26th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Let's hope this one doesn't die.

Nice move by alonso there.

Captain Fabio
June 26th, 2011, 04:46 AM
New fastest lap by M. Webber, 1:43.5.

Alonso made a great pass before.

Went
June 26th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Looking good for Vettel as always (+3.4), but Alonso is a much more credible threat than Webber.

Also, what the hell is Pérez doing without any pit stops yet XD (And right as I post...)

Captain Fabio
June 26th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Pérez is being pretty brave. It is an interesting one to watch until he pits.

1:43.3 by S. Vettel. Oh wait, L. Hamilton just beat it with a 1:43.1

Went
June 26th, 2011, 04:52 AM
And the lapped cars fun approaches, let's hope they annoy Vettel as much as possible.

More pit stops coming soon? That could be a problem for Red Bull, as they'll have to leave one of their drivers unattended.

Nuke
June 26th, 2011, 04:53 AM
It worked for kobayashi last year. He went for something like 53 laps before pitting and he gained a few points from it.

This race needs more crashes.

Captain Fabio
June 26th, 2011, 04:55 AM
It is going to be very interesting. I think it is going to be a good few laps before Vettel is annoyed.

Also, Hamilton got told off and told to watch his rubbers!

LOL! Hamilton's radio:
Team: Just to let you know, your rears are very hot.
Hamilton: I CAN'T GO ANY SLOWER!

Nuke
June 26th, 2011, 04:59 AM
It is going to be very interesting. I think it is going to be a good few laps before Vettel is annoyed.

Also, Hamilton got told off and told to watch his rubbers!

And typical, careless Hamilton just rejects the advice. Where is his routine stupidly aggresive overtake today?

Went
June 26th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Great gamble for Red Bull. Ferrari need to learn to stop first.

Captain Fabio
June 26th, 2011, 05:02 AM
And typical, careless Hamilton just rejects the advice. Where is his routine stupidly aggresive overtake today?

From what I have seen, he has only had once chance but didn't take it.

He is going to have to pit soon otherwise he will be in trouble.

Great gamble for Red Bull. Ferrari need to learn to stop first.

Indeed.

It is easy to say, we have more of a race than a destruction derby on our hands here.

Went
June 26th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Well, the fight for the second place in the Championship is as entertaining as ever!

2- Button (109)
3- Webber (109)
4- Hamilton (97)
5- Alonso (87)

This is going to be really entertaining, if none of them ever manages to do two good races in a row. And maybe, when Vettel wins the WDC in a couple of races, he can go away and let the other guys fight for the victory, that would be cool.

Captain Fabio
June 26th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Well, the fight for the second place in the Championship is as entertaining as ever!

2- Button (109)
3- Webber (109)
4- Hamilton (97)
5- Alonso (87)

This is going to be really entertaining, if any them never manage to do two good races in a row. And maybe, when Vettel wins the WDC in a couple of races, he can go away and let the other guys fight for the victory, that would be cool.

That would be an entertaining thing to see but I don't think he will just allow that. He will be wanting to break as many records as he can!

Either way, it is going to be entertaining to say the least. Silverstone is the next on the cards!

Kenshin5
June 26th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Looks like Vettel upped his lead even more. If he keeps this up everyone will just be racing for second place. Sucks for Michael getting his wing clipped by Petrov right his pit stop. And if we are talking about waiting awhile for pit stops Alguersurai sure took his time. He had a heck of a race, but whats the deal with the off to track stuff that may prevent him from racing and Silverstone? Loved the battle between Alonso and Webber throughout the race.

Nuke
June 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM

2- Button (109)
3- Webber (109)
4- Hamilton (97)
5- Alonso (87)

This is going to be really entertaining, if none of them ever manages to do two good races in a row. And maybe, when Vettel wins the WDC in a couple of races, he can go away and let the other guys fight for the victory, that would be cool.

It'll never beat the 07 title fight.

We're going into another schumi type dominance with Vettel, be prepared for many seasons of boredom.

Razer302
June 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I never get the chance to watch the races live due to work but I always watch the highlights. I absolutely love F1 races and would love to go to silverstone which is literally 30minutes down the road from me.

This year has seen a change in a lot of the drivers and the cars and has been very entertaining.

Kenshin5
June 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I find it more interesting with the new additions or re-additions of things like DRS and Kers. I am surprised to see how well Heidfeld has done this season in replacement of Kubica whose lucky to be alive after that rally car crash. I heard Kubica is supposed to be back by the last race of the season. I am interested to see the team changes at the end of this season, I heard rumors like I did last year that they(Ferrari) want to replace somebody with Massa and this time it's Rosberg. And of course see where Heidfeld goes.

Went
June 29th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Also, according to certainl politicians, Montmelò has good chances of leaving the calendar in a few years, due to the high price of the F1 license. Nothing set in stone yet, but chances are it won't last after 2016. If that happens, Valencia will be the Spanish Grand Prix, because that bland & boring track has officially extended its contract until 2020.

Also, Ricciardo will be the new HRT driver, replacing Karthikeyan. A relief for the Toro Rosso drivers.

Captain Fabio
July 8th, 2011, 09:13 AM
So, Silverstone has started for practise laps and the official rage, as usual, will be on Sunday. Tomorrow is the qualifying round.

Also, in the practise laps today, Kobayashi had a pretty bad crash, car is pretty wrecked and he nearly flipped the car.

Kenshin5
July 9th, 2011, 01:08 PM
So much for the new rules being an issue with Red Bull since Webber and Vettel took 1/2. Ferrai was definitely looking go taking 3 and 4 positions. Di Resta and Maldonado looked pretty good.

Went
July 9th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Well, the difference was barely a tenth, and they reported a possible overheating issue during the race now that their engines can't expel as much steam as they used to. If they win tomorrow, the season is definitely over. But if they don't...

Nuke
July 9th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Good to see Di Resta up the grid at his home grand prix. Button not as good but still decent and as always its good to see Hamilton lower down the grid.

As far as I'm concerned, the season was over a long time ago. Even a 2009 esque turnaround won't stop Red Bull now.

Captain Fabio
July 10th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Agreed with you Nuke. Get to see Di Resta and he is currently 7th.

Hamilton is really going for it. He just went off the track due to too much speed going into the corner and locking up. Well, he is lucky because where he run off use to be a gravel pit! Only changed last year.

Went
July 10th, 2011, 06:51 AM
"We will never use team orders. Our philosophy is, 'let our drivers race'. People don't want to see fixed races. We support equality and giving our drivers a fair chance at it". Sure Horner, sure.

Also, from the "Mantain your position Mark" thread in Autosport:

Austria 2001: Schumacher was only two points ahead of Coulthard had he not been let past.
Austria 2002: Schumacher led by 22 points if not being let past (55 by today's system)

Germany 2010: Alonso was Ferrari's only hope, would be 41 points behind if not let past.
Britain 2011: Vettel would be 74 points ahead if his closest rival in the championship had been allowed to pass.

Captain Fabio
July 10th, 2011, 07:24 AM
It would have been nice to see him overtake Vettel. I am bored of seeing him up on the podium! XD

Kenshin5
July 10th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Sucks for Di Resta and Button that the pit crew had a mishap cost both of them valuable points. And what a lost race for 4 there on the final few turns. And I really hate these team orders. So what if Vettel comes in third he still has a commanding lead. Webber was clearly the faster driver toward the end. But it didn't help Vettel that the crew screwed up on his last pit stop as well. Good race but I would have preferred Hamilton to run out of gas or at least finished 5th.

Nuke
July 10th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Damn Hamilton! He can't go one race without bumping into someone. I may be completely biased (in fact I am) but I think he should have gave Massa his place back.

Good to see Alonso win but it will have little effect on Vettel's inevitable title win.

This will probably be the last straw for Webber, I doubt he'll be at RBR next season.

Kenshin5
July 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Your not bias. Heck this is the second time this year the he has ran into Massa, since he already ran into him at Monaco. Hamilton is just a really aggressive driver sometimes too aggressive which is why I don't like him. They may over turn the Grid positions and award Massa 4th, but I kind of doubt it.

And I have no doubt in my mind Vettel has got it with an 80 point margin between him and Webber.

Also if Webber leaves then who would replace him and where would he go? I would think he would be apart of a team that at least competes week in and week out like Ferrai, McLaren, or even Mercedes and Renault. I can't see him on any other team then those four if he is not in Red Bull as for who that could have replace him Rosberg would probably be a good candidate even though he has yet to have a win. I don't know if they would want a GP2 driver to take his position of if there is any really "outstanding" GP2 drivers out their anyways. I don't see Jenson leaving McLaren for Red Bull as far as I can tell him and Lewis have a good realationship compared to some of the other duos. Even if Webber went to Ferrai and McLarden they would still favor Alonso and Hamilton above him.

Went
July 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM
If Webber leaves, they have three replacements sitting around- two in Toro Rosso (Italian for, guess what, 'Red Bull') and Ricciardo in Hispania (not likely since he barely had one race, but that's more than any GP2 rookie can say).

Kenshin5
July 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I'd definitely prefer Daniel Ricciardo over Algersurai or Buemi. I guess time will tell what happens. Either way if Webber leaves he will be a hot commodity.

Captain Fabio
July 11th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Oh dear...
Red Bull driver Mark Webber has spoken of his frustration after being ordered not to overtake team-mate Sebastian Vettel in the closing stages of the British Grand Prix.

Because we didn't see this one coming...

Nuke
July 11th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Really they only need a driver to keep the car up the grid while maintaining Vettel as their number one.

If they look from their own youngsters then Alguersuari could probably do it.

If they look elsewhere then Kubica & Kobayashi could certainly do well for a front-running team.

Blazichu
July 11th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Was hoping that Ricciardo would have driven better there as he probably has driven there heaps, guess it's just the terrible HRT. Maybe have Buemi and Vettel at Red Bull. Read something about Hamilton (though he cannot go without a race where he doesn't hit someone) being a chance at Red Bull, speaking to Horner about it. Would love to see Webber go to another team though. It's so cringeworthy watching them praise their "Golden Child" and Webber getting no praise.

Shelmet
July 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
It's a shame that Button retired - it looked like he was on for a podium for sure. With Ferrari obviously favouring Alonso in pretty much everything the team does, and the possibility that Massa isn't happy with them (which I really wouldn't be, if I was him), does anybody see him moving to another team? If Ferrari get their act together, and the situation at Red Bull continues like this, Webber moving to them could be a possibility, right?

I think the whole story about Hamilton being linked to a spot at Red Bull is quite exciting. If this actually happened, and the team keep up their pace from the past couple of years now, then Hamilton would definitely have a shot at the title again - he's a much better driver than Vettel, in my opinion. They're both prone to mistakes - both of them being pretty damn violent and reckless when it comes to overtaking - but it could make for an interesting in-team battle.

Even though team orders aren't banned for this year, the message given to Webber near the end of the race disgusts me. It wasn't even a fair thing to ask of him - he was obviously quicker, and what would be the consequence if he did overtake Vettel? He'd lose a few points of his massive advantage? Big deal - this year's pretty much over already.

tl;dr - Red Bull suck.

Kenshin5
July 11th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I don't see why Massa would willing move when his best shot at a title would be with Ferrai. And this isn't anything new since he was ordered aside last year in Austria Circuit if I remember correctly.

I really don't see how going from McLaren to Red Bull would exponentially increase his chances at a title. Especially considering you said tl;dr Red Bull sucks(unless you mean the drink which does). 110 point gap says otherwise.

Team orders would happen regardless if they were banned or not. They can just make up excuses for it like conserve gas, your breaks aren't working right, handle your tires better, or whatever else that want to use. They will find a way around it one way or another. As for this race Team orders were definitely unnecessary, considering the distance Vettel has between himself and the next driver(who happens to be Webber) is quite a bit I don't see what they have to worry about.

Shelmet
July 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
It was Germany, not Austria. I agree with the fact that his best chance at a title is with Ferrari, and he'd know that, but drivers have been known to suddenly change teams before because they're favouring another driver over them (or they think they are *cough*Alonso*cough*). A few months ago, there was a small news atory about Ferrari saying they're not sure if they should keep Massa or not. I'm just saying that, if he does move, then Webber going there could be a possibility.

Going from McLaren, a team currently struggling, to Red Bull, a team that, at the moment, is semi-unstoppable, wouldn't increase his chances of a title? That's kinda like saying that Trulli moving from Lotus to a team like Mercedes wouldn't increase his chances of getting any points - it's kinda obvious that they would. I meant "Red Bull sucks" as in functioning as a "happy" team. They are good, and they have an amazing car, but they just don't seem to work as well together as a team like McLaren (where everybody likes everybody, and everybody would protect everybody else).

Blazichu
July 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Webber does keep on bringing up how he would "like to drive a ferrari". Though I cannot see it happening for him. There were some talks with Renault though and they being happy if he went there.

Would be alright to see Hamilton driving for Red Bull (then you can have a golden child and a spoilt brat on the same team). I can't see Hamilton leaving McLaren for at least awhile. Another driver who I wouldn't mind seeing at another team is Kobayashi, he looks like he has potential but maybe with another team?

Shelmet
July 13th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Yeah, I can see why Renault would be looking for another driver. Heidfeld's good, but... not that good. It's a shame Kubica had that accident before the season began - with the way Renault were looking in the first few races, he might even have been able to grab a win. I mean, if Petrov and Heidfeld could get podiums, then I'd imagine Vettel would have been terrified if Kubica was driving.

Heh, Kobayashi is one of my favourite drivers. He can certainly do some incredible stuff in that Sauber, which is by no means a great car, so it wouldn't come as a surprise if a few teams have their eye on him. Renault's rear grip + Kobayashi = potential for fun.

Blazichu
July 20th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Just read something from the HUN(Herald Sun site) that Mark will know in a month whether or not he'll be driving for Red Bull. Horner seems to really dislike Mark, blamed him for so much in his career at Red Bull, the Turkey crash, not taking team orders etc. I would be more than happy to see Mark move to a red car in 2012.

Kenshin5
July 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Vettel clearly ran into back of Webber in Turkey then weeks later he plows into the side of Button as well. I would die if Mark goes to Ferrari and whens a Championship there and pretty much says up your Vettel and Red Bull. They way want to say publicly that the don't favor Sebastian but it's pretty clear they do.

Captain Fabio
July 24th, 2011, 04:13 AM
So, as it stands 6 laps in.

1. Hamilton
2. Webber
3. Vettel
4. Alonso
5. Rosberg

Barney.
July 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Really annoyed at Massa and Ferrari for taking so long on their pit-stop on the last lap. But still, well done Lewis.

Kenshin5
July 24th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I am disappointed that Jenson had to leave the race for the second week due to technical issues. He could have been up there with Vettel and Massa at the very least since he was persevering his tires 11 laps after Webber pitted. And boy did Vettel have a horrible race for his standards. Guess it goes to show you if he ain't out in front he isn't overly dominate as he may seem. The Pit crews did a great job getting their boys out, but Red Bull got their boy out a little bit faster. Get race between the top three, who knows how it would have turned out if the race came but it didn't. Even though I don't like Hamilton I liked when he said "Could you please stop talking to me while I race". I think I would be a bit distracted if they were talking in my ear while trying to hold off Webber. Yeah I know he is on me I don't need you guys to tell me that.

Nuke
July 25th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Another strong performance from Alonso but unless he wins them all from now there isn't much chance of anyone beating Vettel.

Ferrari really need to drop Massa.

Went
July 25th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Massa was doing a very credible race until the pit stop mess, although he wouldn't have catched a watered down Vettel had he not spun earlier. Either way, if Lewis and Fernando are to do something this year, they need as much support from their teammates as possible. I'd love to see any McLaren or Fernando getting it this year, but I know it's just a crazy dream.

Captain Fabio
July 30th, 2011, 05:15 AM
So, after qualifying, this is how the top 10 stand.

Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Massa, Alonso, Webber, Rosberg, Sutil, Schumacher and Perez.

Going to be a very interesting race.

Went
July 30th, 2011, 05:24 AM
I hate Vettel and his amazing ability to perform unbelieveable laps after a really anonymous session :|

Captain Fabio
July 30th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I know, it came out of no where; annoyed me actually.
I would have loved Hamilton and Button to be P1+2.

Went
July 30th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Now, the most logical start is that Alonso will overtake Massa and meet lewis while Button fights Vettel. The clean side has an enormous advantage over the dirty side here, so... unless it starts raining tonight, then only God knows.

Captain Fabio
July 30th, 2011, 01:11 PM
That sounds about right. Hopefully Button can finish a race and finish well; would be nice to see Button and Hamilton on the podium together.

Went
July 31st, 2011, 12:32 PM
Always count on Button to win a wet race, always count on Vettel to turn anonymous races into podium-finishes, and always count on Lewis to put the spice on the dish. That was one of the weirdest ways to ruin a race I have ever seen. I'm happy for Alonso's 3rd place but he could have challenged Vettel had he not spun twice.

Also, the fight for P2 is as exciting as ever:

2 Mark Webber 149
3 Lewis Hamilton 146
4 Fernando Alonso 145
5 Jenson Button 134

Captain Fabio
July 31st, 2011, 12:59 PM
It was a very good race to watch. Was made up Button won it but it is a shame Hamilton was trying to think way far ahead, but oh well.
As you said Went, the battle for second is awesome.

Nuke
August 1st, 2011, 02:39 AM
Good to see Hamilton screw up his chances of winning.

I'm glad Button won, if Alonso can't win then I always want to see Button on the top step.

What a bad season for the driver's and constructor's championships in terms of competition.

Went
August 1st, 2011, 05:44 AM
I'm glad Button won, if Alonso can't win then I always want to see Button on the top step.

What a bad season for the driver's and constructor's championships in terms of competition.

I just want to say that I could have written this exact post myself XD

Captain Fabio
August 5th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I agree with both of you. I do prefer Button over most.

I am sad there isn't going to be another F1 race for a few weeks now, what will I do with my Sunday afternoons now?!

Nuke
August 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Watch some football. :D

Button thinks he is still in with a shot at the title but I just don't see it.

Went
August 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I wish, I bet €5 on him after a few races, when he was 80-on-1 XD

But Vettel has already got it packed, we should start accepting it.

Kenshin5
August 29th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Looks like Webber is staying with Red Bull at least one more year...

As for the race, am I the only who thought it was Hamilton fault for the collision between him and Maldonado? If Maldonado gets a 5 grid spot penalty i'd that Hamilton would at least deserve the same. Not that it matters since he crashed at which didn't break my heart. Michael did a hell of a job going from dead last to 5th. And I wonder what was up with Rosberg, guy blows out of the start leads lap 1 and doesn't lead any after that and ends up 6th. Then Massa is about to pass Rosberg for 3rd if I recall correctly and gets passed by Alonso then Hamilton, after that he wasn't the same. Oh and Vettel wins again I am just soooooo surprised. Yeah I'd say Vettels got it with an 89 point lead. I think they said he has more points now then he did at the end of last year, that's pretty amazing considering he was champ last year and we still have seven races left.

Camisado
August 29th, 2011, 07:58 AM
My boyfriend managed to go to Spa-Francorchamps, I thought I'd leave you any pictures he'd posted on his travels. I'm sorry there aren't any cars in them. xD;

Picture 1 (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308860_10150782814920602_592780601_20601218_3530071_n.jpg)
Picture 2 (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/228888_10150782804810602_592780601_20601140_3701270_n.jpg)
Picture 3 (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205918_10150782801550602_592780601_20601111_3371152_n.jpg)

Went
August 30th, 2011, 01:05 AM
...if tehre is a race I'd like to watch live is this one XD (or Canada). He's a really lucky dude.

(=Nemesis=)
August 30th, 2011, 02:44 AM
In case this is seen as flame bait, let me just stick a great big

IMO

in front of it.

I wish I lived in the 1980s... when F1 was still just about racing, and very little else. I think the only major highlights of the 1990s were Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher going head-to-head throughout, but that didn't happen much after 1995. Still, it was hilarious in Monaco last year when Schumey thought he could overtake on the same lap a safety car was out, and it turned out that Damon was the guy with the final say in whether or not it was cheating. XD Bit of a boring race otherwise, except I was surprised by just how speedy the cars have become in the last ten years.

But during that time... when teams realised they could just order their Number 2 drivers around... and when FIA made the cars so difficult to handle that overtaking became rare rather than constant... I'm not sure why anyone watches them live. Seems to me you could just wait to hear if a race was watchable or not and then decide whether to see it on iPlayer or something, rather than spend two hours every other Sunday watching some large Scalextrics.

Went
August 30th, 2011, 06:19 AM
In the 80's and 90's, cars were technologically underdeveloped, most of them were unstable, and a good chunk of teams were anything but professional (http://www.f1rejects.com/teams/index.html). The main result is that accidents were more prominent, teams would repeatedly fail to qualify, and cars would get much more mixed in the starting grid due to mistakes during qualifying. Cars were harder to control back them, and much harder to keep on track, that's why there were more accidents around.

But, nowadays, a qualifying session gives you several chances to do a good lap and get in your natural grid position, and even HRT can qualify and finish races without major problems due to the strict reliability rules imposed by FIA to avoid major accidents. So, what can we do? Make cars more unstable, so they blow up more often? I assure you that, if the Bulls, Mclaren and Ferrari started in mid-grid (or even in the back!), they'd be in the top 6 by the second pit stop.

Oh, and I'm sad you didn't mention people like Senna, Prost or Hakkinen during the 90's. And last year was probably one of the most exciting championships in decades.

Captain Fabio
September 11th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Well, Monza never fails to impress. Mental couple of first laps, fairly large crash, MSC doing really well, awesome driving from the front runners!

:D

Went
September 11th, 2011, 06:25 AM
And Vettel could win the championship in Singapore. Just compare this season with last year's :\ I'm glad we didn't have Bahrein or the championship could be over already.

Well, let's look at the other championship, which is as exciting as ever:

2- Alonso - 172
3- Button - 167
4- Webber - 167 (no wins)

Kenshin5
September 11th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I have a feeling it may end.

Alonso
Button
Hamilton
Webber

To me Mark really hasn't done that much this year that really wowed me. Quite frankly I was surprised he racked up this many points as it stands. At least for me I have heard almost nothing about him. As for the race this week MSC was taking it to Hamilton. Oh noes he is blocking me not like I haven't done that plenty of times to other people in the past! Also did they ever say why Button went to the pits on his last hot lap in Q3? I could have swore he was up on mostly everyone in two of the three sectors on the last lap.

Went
October 9th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Well, we have a new youngest two-times world champion! Also the Japan race was surprisingly fun, I wonder what would have happened if Jenson hadn't been able to save fuel during the SC period, he barely made it to the goal.

I wish all the races this season had been like this one though. Four cars in 6 seconds.

Kenshin5
October 9th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I wonder more how this Championship run would have been if Jenson didn't have to retire what 3 times? Compared to Vettel 0 retirements this season. Loved seeing Michael in P1 for the first time since 06. And there was some spotty driving from Vettel blocking Jenson at the beginning as well as Hamilton usual bs. All and all good race, and OMG Webber didn't lose his position at the start O=.

Nuke
October 9th, 2011, 11:59 AM
The most dissapointing title race for years is over then...

I want the 2007 season back. :'(

As with all other races not in a similar timezone to me, I didn't watch it so I can't contribute better opinions unfortunately.

Captain Fabio
October 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I do agree this year was a little boring and predictable for the winning slot, took the edge off a little, but no doubt the battle for second place will be awesome.

Kenshin5
October 9th, 2011, 02:08 PM
The most dissapointing title race for years is over then...

I want the 2007 season back. :'(

As with all other races not in a similar timezone to me, I didn't watch it so I can't contribute better opinions unfortunately.
You really didn't much tbh. From what I really not a whole lot of overtaking outside of Rosberg making his charge through the field. There was only two minor racing incidents that were looked into farther and that was about it.

Vettel could have maybe cut the ending closer if he didn't exit the pits in traffic but it is what it is.

Went
October 10th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Well, I personally think it was one of the most entertaining races this year. Vettel ran away in the start after pushing Jenson into the grass, and Hamilton took advantage and got second. But his insane tyre degradation made him stop first, and that same problem made Vettel lose most of his 5 second advantage over Jenson. A lap later, Fernando was cutting down on Jenson as well, and, when all did their pit stops, they three were in a 4 second gap. The same thing pretty much happened during the second stint, but this time Vettel got a bit of traffic and ended up losing P1 to Jenson.

Then a SC popped in, so the marshals could clean some debris from Massa's car after one of Hamilton's trademark overtakings, as well as a part of Michael's car Webber took with himself. That reduced the differences even more, allowing Fernando (who consistently was the last one to stop) to jump Vettel in the pits a bit later. Jenson ran away while Vettel tried to overtake Fernando during 4 frentic laps until a lapped car got between both, allowing Fernando to get enough space to nullify Vettel's DRS help.

Finally, with 7 laps to go, Fernando and Vettel started taking Jenson a second per lap, because the McLaren was running low on fuel and couldn't go as fast. Fernando managed to cut the gap down from 8 to 1.1 seconds, and who knws what could have happened if the race had been a couple of laps longer.

Also Michael led the race for almost 10 laps and that's awesome in itself.

Hikamaru
October 10th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Well done Sebastian Vettel for becoming the youngest-ever Formula 1 driver to win consecutive titles.

At least his teammate at Red Bull is an Australian!

Now Australia has two players in the Formula 1, Mark Webber and Daniel Ricciardo!

We still have a few races to go in the lead-up to the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix, which comes after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. I bet the 2012 season will be huge!

Kenshin5
October 16th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Great race for the top 5 through out the race. Especially the battle between Hamilton and Webber. Kind of a shame Michael got took out be Petrov. And I hope they fix that pit exit since it doesn't seem the safest or most practical pit exit. I lawl at the story how they weren't doing work at the track since last year and the teams where hungry so they went to their areas to get some and there was still the food in their fridges from last year xD. Kudos to Red Bull clutching the constructors and Vettel being the second driver to win double digit wins.

Went
October 16th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hadn't Vettel been there, the race would have been really exciting at the end. A shame Massa ruined Alonso and Button, they could have done better without him blocking them for so long.

Anyway, respect when respect is due, what Vettel is doing is absolutely amazing and can only be compared with Michael's golden years. Let's see how long he can keep it up for.