PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Anyone?

Dippydunker
June 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Right now I'm sitting in my lounge about to watch the new series of Top Gear which is starting tonight in the UK (for those of you who don't know Top Gear is a BBC Motoring programme, it's quite light hearted and funny in places) and I was wondering if anyone on here watches it! So that's my question anyone here watch Top Gear, do you like it or dislike it?

Until The Next Time, Dippydunker

竜の子
June 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Since I'm nor from UK,or USa or from EU or from any plac ewith an acronym,no never watched but maybe I'll crawl in the net searching for it

groteske
June 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM
YES. I don't have cable or I'd be right there with you. Seen every episode they've done. Because of Top Gear, I agonize over never, ever being able to afford a Zonda.

Dippydunker
June 26th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I know it's not broadcast to that many places across the globe, but where it is from what I've heard it's quite popular!

YES. I don't have cable or I'd be right there with you. Seen every episode they've done. Because of Top Gear, I agonize over never, ever being able to afford a Zonda.

lol, I here you there man!

groteske
June 26th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I know it's not broadcast to that many places across the globe, but where it is from what I've heard it's quite popular!

On behalf of America, I apologize for our version of Top Gear. I watched 15 minutes of one episode and that was enough.

Dippydunker
June 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM
On behalf of America, I apologize for our version of Top Gear. I watched 15 minutes of one episode and that was enough.

Didn't know America had their own version! I will have to look it up, although out of the different incarnations of the show I have seen, I much prefer May, Clarkson and Hammond presenting!

Lance
June 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM
-This goes here-

Top Gear is pretty awesome. I love drooling over all the foreign sports cars, particularly the Porsches. XD

shenanigans
June 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Oh yes Top Gear is wonderful.

The one thing I don't know that I like about it though is how obviously staged all the "accidents" are, or most of them anyway. But it's still funny when you watch it without thinking about that.

Also, is that 5th Gear thing the American version? If so then yes groteske your apology is most accepted.

Amore
June 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Haha, too right, Porsches are awesome.

Personally, I love Top Gear. I got into it rather late, I was around 12 at the time, but I've seen tons of episodes, watch every new one (Except tonight, sadly), and love it so much I can actually watch the same one twice in a day on Dave (only when there's no other good t.v. though).

Dippydunker
June 26th, 2011, 12:22 PM
-This goes here-

Top Gear is pretty awesome. I love drooling over all the foreign sports cars, particularly the Porsches. XD

Agreed! And my bad if I posted in this thread wrong section :/ new to the community

shenanigans
June 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Haha, too right, Porsches are awesome.

Personally, I love Top Gear. I got into it rather late, I was around 12 at the time, but I've seen tons of episodes, watch every new one (Except tonight, sadly), and love it so much I can actually watch the same one twice in a day on Dave (only when there's no other good t.v. though).

Oh what the hell there was a new one tonight? Seems I missed it. Which channel was it on?

And lol, Dave is more or less just repeats of Top Gear and Dragons' Den.

Dippydunker
June 26th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Oh what the hell there was a new one tonight? Seems I missed it. Which channel was it on?

And lol, Dave is more or less just repeats of Top Gear and Dragons' Den.

It was on BBC 2 at 8pm, Should be on Iplayer now if you looked :)

shenanigans
June 26th, 2011, 12:33 PM
It was on BBC 2 at 8pm, Should be on Iplayer now if you looked :)

Yeah that's what I was asking for lol. Although I could've just found it anyway.

So since this a bit of a closed-ended discussion right now, let's talk about the things that have been done on there. What's anyone's favourite challenge Hammond, May and Clarkson have been set?

Dippydunker
June 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM
My favourite challenge they were set was probably the one when they travelled to the north pole.... But I also like the Vietnam special, that was pretty hillarious!

Weeaboo Name
June 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Not the biggest car fan but Top Gear is amusing, used to watch it every Sunday but i seem to miss it now. I watch old episodes on "Dave" a couple of times a week as well. ^^

Esper
June 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I don't watch it since I don't really care about cars, but I've seen some of it and I think it's pretty funny. I loved the episode where they drove through the the U.S. South and the 'decorations' they gave to each others' cars.

groteske
June 26th, 2011, 05:21 PM
The episodes when they traveled through Bolivia & Iceland were great. I was a fan of both car-into-boat episodes as well. Oh yeah, and when May brought the Bugatti to top speed - he reacted the same way I think I would in that position. Just awestruck.

Another spin-off: what's your favorite car that's been featured on the show?

Mine are the Zonda F, Ascari, Maserati MC12, and the Noble. Can't pick just one.

Katholic Nun
June 27th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I think I must be one of the few people in the world that does not care at all for Top Gear lol. Even my female friends who know nothing about cars seem to love it because they think it's quick-witted... but I just don't get it. That's just me though; I guess millions of people can't be wrong.

Though I would also like to apologise on behalf of Australia for our version of Top Gear, which is basically British Top Gear without anything that makes British Top Gear watchable.

Nuke
June 27th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I have never really watched the series as its first aired, I just occasionally watch the repeats on Dave.

Its always funny though, it's a great show and they did an episode in Boro which is always a good thing (even though it slated us to hell and focused on art).

jackblaze
June 27th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Always loved the show and I love the way they describe the stig beforehe goes on the track

Dippydunker
June 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Always loved the show and I love the way they describe the stig beforehe goes on the track

Yeah The Stigs introductions are pretty funny and they often refer to current events in the UK which I find quite cool. . .but if you are watching the repeats on dave the references aren't always up to date. . .Still awesome though!

Eight
June 27th, 2011, 11:32 AM
^ I like how they've started to make references to the repeats on Dave in the more recent shows.

Depending on what they're doing, I like Top Gear. Usually the silly tasks, like the one where they built their own car and edited the footage to make it pass the three standard tests.

Mr Cat Dog
July 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
I stopped watching the show about two or so years ago. To me, it's become almost a parody of itself, with the 'banter' between the hosts turning into mugging and overpowering the gentle humour the show used to have. I saw a clip of one of the latest episodes and it just seemed like a completely different show to the one I watched a few years ago with unforced chemistry between the presenters. Eh... I'm probably just getting old and cranky.

Posting Binge: 12/40