PDA

View Full Version : Being Sensitive

Esper
June 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
(I was inspired to make this thread after reading about how certain Mickey Mouse cartoons caused offense in Egypt. That's not the topic though. Read hear (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13944231) if you want.)

We all know that people don't always agree and get along. We're different and we can be quite sensitive when someone doesn't respect our views and way we live our lives. Or maybe we don't. But we can talk about our respective views here.

Some ideas to throw around:

- Your level acceptance of other people's sensitivities and your own sensitivity when someone does something you find disrespectful, offensive, or rude
- How accepting people in general should be
- People being "oversensitive"
- When sensitivities collide and resolving problems

Azureth
June 28th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I just hate it when people expect you to bend over backwards to accommodate them.

Overlord Drakow
June 28th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty lenient in general when someone throws down the disrespect on me. I'm far too passive for my own good at times and I have an open minded approach to most things, both of which give me a laid back attitude. Though god help you if you do manage to break the chains that bind my wrath of Darkness.

People should try to stick within the bounds of reason when being sensitive. Sometimes people try to stretch the truth or manipulate their choice of words, to comfort people and attempt to make the situation seem a lot better than what it may actually be. While the intention is pure, deceiving the recipient generally is more harmful than helpful in the grand scheme of things. Comforting someone is fine, but don't try and twist the reality of the situation.

Those who embrace the Darkness will not appreciate it when people are oversensitive. They will know when one is trying too hard to comfort them, and that will only anger them. For Darkness shuns those who discard logic and reason. Members of the Light on the other hand may appreciate the oversensitive. They delude themselves in the illusions of hope which the oversensitive present to them, in a feeble attempt to escape from the despair of reality. But in the end, they are only sinking deeper and deeper into the pit of their own suffering.

"Without understanding, there can be no compassion" (Overlord 2011).

In some cases, being sensitive will have the opposite effect due to the recipient claiming that the sensitive person does not understand their circumstances. So if you want to help someone out, make sure you have a good understanding of what they are going through first.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overlord, D. (2011) Facebook Profile Page [online] restricted access from <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=533435942&sk=info> [3 June 2011]

Catholic Nun
June 28th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Oversensitivity is something that really bothers me. I understand reacting if someone is being overtly discriminatory or insensitive to something important to a person, but when it gets to the point where people are being offended by every little joke, it means it's time to take a chill pill and learn to get a sense of humour about yourself.

I'm gay, make all the bantery jokes you want about that. I find them funny too lol

Vader
June 30th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Well, what's the demarcation between what's acceptable, and what would lead someone to react over sensitively? I imagine you'd be hard pressed for a concrete, uniform answer. If you're Jewish and someone makes jokes about the Holocaust or the Nazis, you're allowed to be pissed off in my book. Now somebody making fun of your hair color or something incredibly mundane like that, then no. Toughen up.

Overlord Drakow
June 30th, 2011, 04:43 PM
That's the problem with emotion. It cannot be gauged quantitatively. Therefore decisive boundaries cannot be created to distinguish when someone takes things too far.

Charizard★
June 30th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I used to pretty over sensitive in the past, but after years of being called a 'dot head' and 'Dunkin' Donuts' I'm used to it. Then again, I'm still pretty emotional. I get angry pretty quickly and I'm usually always depressed about one thing or another. But, then again, I'm always acting 'happy' whenever there are people around seeing as I don't want to be labeled 'depressed freak' or 'emo'.

Overlord Drakow
June 30th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I used to pretty over sensitive in the past, but after years of being called a 'dot head' and 'Dunkin' Donuts' I'm used to it. Then again, I'm still pretty emotional. I get angry pretty quickly and I'm usually always depressed about one thing or another. But, then again, I'm always acting 'happy' whenever there are people around seeing as I don't want to be labeled 'depressed freak' or 'emo'.

I'm not bullcrapping you when I say you need to embrace the Darkness. In other words, you could use a darker frame of mind. Try it sometime and see if it provides you with any improvement.

Charizard★
June 30th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I'm not bullcrapping you when I say you need to embrace the Darkness. In other words, you could use a darker frame of mind. Try it sometime and see if it provides you with any improvement.
By 'darker', the way I see it, means more anger right? Well, whenever I'm out in public, like in school for instance, I've put up an act and people now think I'm rude and blunt. It's completely different then the way I am, but I guess you can say it's 'darker'?

Overlord Drakow
July 1st, 2011, 04:34 AM
By 'darker', the way I see it, means more anger right? Well, whenever I'm out in public, like in school for instance, I've put up an act and people now think I'm rude and blunt. It's completely different then the way I am, but I guess you can say it's 'darker'?

Not necessarily more anger. It's controlled rage. That is what you seek. Darkness is all about optimization and unleashing the wielder's full potential. You are being overwhelmed by your emotions. Such people are blinded by the light. A burning hatred which you command can be far more deadly and effective than a mindless rampage.

The heart is easily manipulated, confounded and deceived. The mind when trained sees things truly for what they are. A powerful mind will not miss even the faintest of details but at the same time, can analyse the bigger picture, which opens new possibilities to explore and consider. Such is the nature of one who has a dark frame of mind.

Stay true to who you are. I think you have a lot of unnecessary emotions dominating your frame of mind. They are probably causing you to feel confused and vulnerable. You should try and free yourself from those feelings and calm your mind. The path will become clear if you can manage that.

Sometime in your life, you may have a friend or someone close who could use some comfort. In order to help other people though, you must be able to help yourself first.

Esper
July 1st, 2011, 09:41 AM
That's the problem with emotion. It cannot be gauged quantitatively. Therefore decisive boundaries cannot be created to distinguish when someone takes things too far.
That's true, but perhaps that means we need to be more sensitive to people just so we don't cross too many boundaries accidentally and cause too much offense.

Overlord Drakow
July 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM
That's true, but perhaps that means we need to be more sensitive to people just so we don't cross too many boundaries accidentally and cause too much offense.

The problem with most of society is that they are driven and governed by their emotions. If everyone utilized a dark frame of mind, it wouldn't be necessary to be cautious in order to avoid offending someone. People would accept reality irrespective to how grave the truth of the matter is. There wouldn't be any denial or rejection of reality. People wouldn't run away, seeking false hope. No. Society would be much better in my opinion and this is the society I seek to create in the future.

Tezuka
July 1st, 2011, 10:38 AM
;~; Sadly, i'm extremely sensitive. Even the smallest comment can make me drop into tears. Its annoying, thats for sure. Alot of people I know are too.

Alley Cat
July 1st, 2011, 11:52 AM
Some people are oversensitive, and need to learn to handle a joke every now and again. But some jokes are also a lot more than jokes and just cross the line too far.
I'm blunt & honest, I don't sugarcoat things, and if you come to me, you get the truth. I don't intend to hurt your feelings, but I'm going to call it as I see it. You came to me for my opinion. If you wanted to hear something to make you smile, go to your mom or someone you know who will always compliment. Will it help you? No. Not really. If you look trashy, and they say otherwise, you're going to leave the house looking trashy.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
I'm sensitive (body wise) but not mentally wise. I was told from a bird that most people do not like oversensitive people because you can't really joke around with them.

:t354:TG

TRIFORCE89
July 3rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Accommodation is okay, bending over backwards is not.

I'd be sensitive to an individual, particularly if I know them. But to a large grouping like a country or a religion... if you don't like it, change the channel.

JimJams
July 3rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
I tend to have a really hard time realizing that other people might be sensitive, and am sometimes a little bit oversensitive myself.

I can be way too blunt and verbally aggressive toward other people (as a kid I would seek out arguments and even physical fights, and trolling people who I feel are unreasonable still tends to be very satisfying to me..I am a horrible person Dx) and I become unnecessarily defensive when people don't understand something about me or say something that I feel is offensive. I tend to be unable to or have a really hard time resisting the urge to say something, civilly or otherwise, when someone says or does something I don't like.

I am rude and emotionally wonky and I know it..:v

Sometimes it's not a bad thing though. If I have a group of friends and they and I have a problem with someone, I'll say or do something about it.