PDA

View Full Version : Deuce! (General Tennis Discussion)

Nuke
June 30th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Not sure if this will recieve much attention...

I'm a bit late with the thread since the semis are only tommorow but we can still get a fair bit of discussion out of it (and people may discuss after wimbledon).

Anyway, hopefully some of us have been watching wimbledon over the past few days so I decided to make a discussion thread for tennis watchers alike.

Any ideas who you would want or think will be in the final?

I personally think and hope it will be a Nadal-Djokovic final.

Ivysaur
June 30th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I'd love to see Tsonga in the final amazing the hell out of everybody (if being the first alive person to beat Federer coming back from 2-0 in a Grand Slam wasn't unbelieveable enough), but it's almost certain that we'll end up seeing a Nadal - Djokovic final.

And, if Nadal were to win that, we'd see an interesting scenario: the guy who won 3 out of the last 4 Grad Slams would be the no. 2, and the guy who won the one left would be the no. 1. Although Rafa's foot is injured since he played Delpo so maybe Andy will stay a chance this time.

And, in Women, Kvitova got her first final ever, against Sharapova. Another player fighting against all odds, but we'll see.

Nuke
July 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM
Nadal doesn't look himself in this game but I'm certain Murray won't take advantage.

Tsonga did well but djoko is too good.

Edit: You say that and Murray makes a mistake so that nadal breaks serve.

Ivysaur
July 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM
So it's Current No. 1 VS New No. 1 as expected. Previous Nadal-Djokovic on grass ended with a Nadal victory in Queens and Djokovic dropping out due to an injury in Wimbledon. We'll see how it goes now.

(Also, can I change the title to "General tennis discussion thread" once Wimbledon has ended?)

Nuke
July 2nd, 2011, 01:07 AM
(Sure but you get the feeling it'll just be me and you.)

I think this will be a good final. I'm bored of the annual Nadal v Federer final so its a nice change.

Women's final today but I think I'll miss it.

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
July 2nd, 2011, 04:02 AM
I'm really sad to know Federer lost, he's always been my favorite. If I had to choose then I'd root for Tsonga but the Nadal vs. Djokovic final is a reallity now. :s

Go Djokovic!

Antebellum
July 2nd, 2011, 04:27 AM
Not a huge tennis fan, but hey, there's SportsCenter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SportsCenter) for that. I'm hoping Djokovic wins, mainly so he can stake his claim as the world's best. Murray was somewhat disappointing against Nadal, but I guess that's what's expected when you play the World's Best, although I was hoping it would have been closer.

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
July 2nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
I feel bad for Murray. He always gets stuck on semi-finals and if he ever makes it to a final he ends up as runner up. :s

Ivysaur
July 2nd, 2011, 06:23 AM
Murray said "It's a hard age to play Tennis". Djokovic added a bit more "It's unbelieveable that I need to spend 7 months without losing more than a single match to become number 1".

And now he'll be the first person who is not Nadal or Federer to become No. 1 in 7 years and 6 months. Wow.

I'll be rooting for Nadal though. I'm Spanish weird like that.

Nuke
July 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
I don't mind who wins as I like both players but I have a £2 wager with a friend on Nadal winning so I guess I have a very small preference toward him.

I agree with that Went, it is pretty difficult.

I don't feel bad for Murray, if he hadn't screwed up all his chances then he might have won.

Mr Cat Dog
July 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
(Also, can I change the title to "General tennis discussion thread" once Wimbledon has ended?)
NOOOOOO! Don't take stuff like this away from me, Wenty! It's the little stuff like this that keeps me sane here!

o.o

On topic: Wimbledon hasn't been as exciting for me this year and I'm not particularly sure why. I think it's because on the men's side, I've realised that I don't care about any of the major players - Federer's ridiculously arrogant, Nadal as well, Murray's so dour and depressing and Djokovic has zero personality; on the women's side, my fave player Kim Clijsters was nowhere to be seen because of an injury and there are just so many fluctuations in that league that it's hard to keep track of them all.

So... yeah. Not really bothered about what happens tomorrow.

Posting Binge: 2/40

Nuke
July 3rd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Excellent from Djokovic. Apart from the third set, he played brilliantly. Thoroughly deserved win.

I still don't know how you manage to win a set 6-1 then lose the next 6-1 though.

Ivysaur
July 3rd, 2011, 10:46 AM
I think the whole thing was worth watching just to see him eating the grass at the end XD man he was excited.

The first two sets looked boring, a player running over the other. The last two ones were an improvement though.

And with this, Nole secures the No. 1 for a while, possibly until next year. Otehrwise, nadal would have got it back in August.

*Firestar*
July 3rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
It was a fantastic display to watch, and I think both played very well. I was routing for Nadal but hats off to Djokovic, he played superbly, and has skillfully and rightfully claimed the no1 position untill next year at least. I have enjoyed this years Wimbledon, and hope to see both get as far next year.

Ivysaur
July 9th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Well, Davis Cup: US 0 - 2 Spain. I'm really surprised both Fish and Roddick lost at home.

Nuke
July 9th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I tend not to pay much attention to the Davis Cup.

Murray annihilated someone from Luxembourg 6-0 6-0 6-0 in less than an hour though.

Ivysaur
July 9th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Losing by a triple bagel is pretty sad XD I think you have to search up pretty deep in the records to find results like that.