PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Management

FreakyLocz14
July 4th, 2011, 11:02 PM
The Central Valley of California is often referred to the "Congress-created Dust Bowl" by locals because extreme environmental policies from the left-wing have cut-off water to the area. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and her colleagues have water cut-off because a 3-inch fish would sometimes get caught in the water pipes.

While Sarah Palin isn't my favorite member of my party, I like what she said about it. "“A faceless government is taking away their [California farmer's] lifeline, water, all because of a 3-inch fish," Palin said. “Where I come from, a 3-inch fish, we call that bait. There is no need to destroy people’s lives over bait.”
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/05/01/palin-decries-water-restrictions-at-calif-college/

One can drive north on the Highway 5 and see miles of barren land. This is our liberal elected officials at work. Some of the towns have up to 45% unemployment, and most of the inner-state counties have unemployment rates which are higher than the statewide average (12%), which in turn is higher than the national average (9%).

Here a blog about it:
http://www.highwayhags.com/2009/06/01/dust-bowl-post/

Well, I've made my opinion clear on the matter. Do you think that these environmentalists have gone too far? I'd like to hear your opinions.

Discuss.

Esper
July 5th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Do you think that these environmentalists have gone too far?
I think you're misrepresenting the situation, especially by quoting Sarah Palin. And maybe a topic on environmental management in general would be a better place to start. Actually, I'm just going to respond as if that's what the topic was.

I think it's fine to have regulations for how much water gets used. Water's a resource that everyone needs and it's important that when there is a limited supply (which happens in California) that it gets parceled out and nothing gets left high and dry whether that be a farmer or an endangered species. That's why I watch how much water I use, take quick showers and so on.

FreakyLocz14
July 5th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I think you're misrepresenting the situation, especially by quoting Sarah Palin. And maybe a topic on environmental management in general would be a better place to start. Actually, I'm just going to respond as if that's what the topic was.

I think it's fine to have regulations for how much water gets used. Water's a resource that everyone needs and it's important that when there is a limited supply (which happens in California) that it gets parceled out and nothing gets left high and dry whether that be a farmer or an endangered species. That's why I watch how much water I use, take quick showers and so on.

I live here in California. I've driven on the Highway 5 and I can attest to the fact that our agriculture industry is in shambles. Learning that our water was cut off to our state's farms over a 3-inch fish really infuriates me. Lots of new jobs would be created if we revived agriculture here, and we'd have more commerce to help deal with our budget crisis. While a balance does need to be found, it is apparent that there is no balancing act going on here. California farmers have clearly received the short end of the stick.

parallelzero
July 5th, 2011, 05:23 PM
It's hard to make a call regarding the sanity of the move when you don't supply any of the important facts. What fish? Why is the death of the fish an issue? Do they clog the pipes? You can't really formulate a proper opinion unless you have these things (particularly when it's an environmental issue). If you're going to make a discussion thread "fishing" (hurhur) for opinions, you should probably make sure to have this information readily available, else you'll get a one-sided opinion from everyone based on the little information you gave.

Making assumptions based on what you did supply, it's probably because they clog the pipes and cleaning it out is expensive. That, or the fish are endangered. But, like I said, until an actual reason is provided it's hard to say, really.

FreakyLocz14
July 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM
It's hard to make a call regarding the sanity of the move when you don't supply any of the important facts. What fish? Why is the death of the fish an issue? Do they clog the pipes? You can't really formulate a proper opinion unless you have these things (particularly when it's an environmental issue). If you're going to make a discussion thread "fishing" (hurhur) for opinions, you should probably make sure to have this information readily available, else you'll get a one-sided opinion from everyone based on the little information you gave.

Making assumptions based on what you did supply, it's probably because they clog the pipes and cleaning it out is expensive. That, or the fish are endangered. But, like I said, until an actual reason is provided it's hard to say, really.

The fish is called a smelt. They don't clog the just sometimes they get caught in the pipes.

TRIFORCE89
July 5th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I live here in California. I've driven on the Highway 5 and I can attest to the fact that our agriculture industry is in shambles. Learning that our water was cut off to our state's farms over a 3-inch fish really infuriates me. Lots of new jobs would be created if we revived agriculture here, and we'd have more commerce to help deal with our budget crisis. While a balance does need to be found, it is apparent that there is no balancing act going on here. California farmers have clearly received the short end of the stick.
But what was the "why"? I need to know the why.

I don't think they just woke up one day and went "Now, here's an idea... We can really screw up things for people"

Livewire
July 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Again, what part of my "Keep the liberal flameing threads confined to your blog" PM did you not understand? And, no, I'm not silencing your opinions, because YOU'RE THE ONLY PERSON WHO MAKES THREADS LIKE THIS. You don't see anybody else making threads deliberatly attacking people because of their political views, i.e, I don't make threads on how stupid I think George Bush is. Maybe you seriously consider looking at joining a politics forum, because the constant political jabber is boring, and Other Chat will not be defined by it.

*Locked*