PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Islamophobia

Soari
July 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I am pretty sure everyone is familiar with the term "Islamophobia" that xenophobes use as a prejudice against, hatred or fear of Islam or Muslims and they are obviously the ones who have completely no knowledge about the religion. Ever since 9/11 happened, there has been a widespread misconception about Islam especially in the sickening world of media where they usually show certain people that belong to a certain group and then they generalize your whole religion based off of a few people's bad actions due to which a lot of people are confused about what to believe and what not to believe. They create unnecessary paranoia. With that being said, there is a wave of Islamophobia that has been sweeping across Western Europe, North America and other parts of the world. It's mainly linked to discrimination against the followers of Islam like for instance: Muslims are denied job opportunities aboard, they are randomly checked at the airports where the airport security judge them by their appearance and label them as terrorist because of their traditional clothing and long beard. That is just totally stupid and ridiculous because a terrorist could also have a clean shave, change their name or even dress like an american and whatnot. Moreover, the teachings of Islam are often misunderstood especially about "Jihad" that is badly misused. Back to the topic: what are your thoughts on Islamophobia and discrimination against Muslims? What role do you think the media has played in Islamophobia, especially post-9/11?

Livewire
July 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
It's so sad and embarrassing, being from the United States. Our country was founded on the ideals of tolerance, love and personal freedom, and yet, Islamophobia is rampant here in the Post 911 world. It's disgusting and our founding fathers would be ashamed of all this ignorance.

deoxys121
July 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I fully agree that it's ridiculous. Ever since 9/11, people in the US, where I live, have thought of Muslims as having connections to terrorism. This is a horrible prejudice and is, in fact, not true in most cases. What most people don't realize is that most terrorists are not middle-eastern-origin Muslims. Most terrorists are, in fact, white Europeans. Personally, I don't get along with people who believe this prejudice, and I try to tell them the hard facts. While some of them listen, most of them just let it go in one ear and out the other.

Kyoko
July 6th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Half of my family is Muslim and when I mentioned it in one of my history classes when it came up, the next day the really overly Christian woman in my class who sat next to me moved to the other side of the classroom and made snarky comments about Islam over the course of the day (we were talking about the rise of Islam in Western Civ). It was so ridiculous and her comments were so ignorant I couldn't believe it. Luckily a lot of students in my class combated her errors and my teacher agreed.

I've also had people tell me "oh, your family is the ones causing problems over in Afghanistan" and I was so shocked they could even say something like that. The fact that people think that Muslims only live in Afghanistan or Iraq/Iran is really upsetting. It shows how little people actually know. And the fact that they think that every Muslim is "causing problems" when only it's extremists.

I think it's sad that people have views like this and shun out a whole religion just because of a few bad eggs and don't even have the decency to try and learn something about it. But it's not just Muslims, other races/religions have been ostrasized too and hopefully this will eventually blow over :/

インフェルノの津波
July 6th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Practically my entire family is Muslim, my Grandfather being a Shiekh. So yeah, Islamophobia ain't new to me though I just find it ridiculous. Can't anyone tell the differences Muslims from to Muslim Terrorists?

And how exactly are you afraid of Muslims?

G.U.Y.
July 6th, 2011, 12:09 PM
As an Atheist, I am disgusted by all forms of religiously-based phobias. However, I grew up in a largely Muslim neighborhood, all my friends up to 8th grade (I moved) were Muslims so I take offense when people say ignorant things about them as a whole.

Where I live, half of the people tend to be Islamophobic, and half are not. Ohio tends to be like that for many things. It's so annoying just to hear people talk about it. σ_σ

Gold warehouse
July 6th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Ignorant people are easily influenced by the media, and the media want to make money. Although I thought it was most prominent in the 00s, and I rarely notice it here any more.

I tend to find that people who are Islamophobic are also racist and prejudiced in other ways; again, it's just all born out of ignorance. Where I live, you're likely to get abused if you belong to any Asian ethnicity at all.

Mario The World Champion
July 6th, 2011, 02:15 PM
It just goes to show you much influence the media can have on something. That and the extremists blowing themselves up aren't helping at all. The media loves that sort of stuff and constantly shoves it in our faces and reinforcing it.

Sadly, Islamophobia will not go away for a very long time.

Zet
July 6th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Practically my entire family is Muslim, my Grandfather being a Shiekh. So yeah, Islamophobia ain't new to me though I just find it ridiculous. Can't anyone tell the differences Muslims from to Muslim Terrorists?

And how exactly are you afraid of Muslims?

Anyone can be a terrorist. I just wish the ignorant would know this, and actually be taught about Islam.

Esper
July 6th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I think that in the West we still have this idea of there being an East/West division and the idea that anything not of the West is sorta, kinda backwards. It gets perpetuated everywhere in one way or another. Books, television, movies, and of course the news. You see angry Muslims every now and then on the news. Often they have anti-West statements, but that's a totally different thing from 'terrorists.' It's a shame there aren't more Islamic countries that we Westerners can look to as examples for how Muslims are just as sane as we are. I mean, you look at some place like Turkey, which is a pretty modern Muslim country, and even if it has problems they aren't to do with some crazy extremist ideology.

インフェルノの津波
July 6th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I think that in the West we still have this idea of there being an East/West division and the idea that anything not of the West is sorta, kinda backwards. It gets perpetuated everywhere in one way or another. Books, television, movies, and of course the news. You see angry Muslims every now and then on the news. Often they have anti-West statements, but that's a totally different thing from 'terrorists.' It's a shame there aren't more Islamic countries that we Westerners can look to as examples for how Muslims are just as sane as we are. I mean, you look at some place like Turkey, which is a pretty modern Muslim country, and even if it has problems they aren't to do with some crazy extremist ideology.

Except Western culture is actually backwards, we're newer in general.

Esper
July 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Except Western culture is actually backwards, we're newer in general.
Forgive me for saying so, but isn't that the kind of attitude that's behind Islamophobia, just in reverse? I don't know what being 'new' has to do with real or perceived backwardness.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
July 7th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I actually don't know anyone who shares these supposedly rampant beliefs. The only time I've ever seen them is when they're being deliberately used for comedy.

Also, tolerance. Are we still thinking the world can be tolerant? There are like, better perfect world dreams to be chasing, like, y'know, curing disease or something. Emphasis on the fact there will never ever be a lack of large intolerant groups, no matter how hard we try.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
July 7th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Also, tolerance. Are we still thinking the world can be tolerant? There are like, better perfect world dreams to be chasing, like, y'know, curing disease or something. Emphasis on the fact there will never ever be a lack of large intolerant groups, no matter how hard we try.But that can't be used as an excuse not to try and have a tolerant world. :/
We have seen so many shifts in cultural perception over the last few decades, the views on homosexuality, white supremacy, and women's rights to name a few, that it would be foolish to just leave it as is and return to that barbaric time before people started caring and being tolerant towards each other. I get that we have other things to worry about, but why shouldn't peace be one of them on the high-priority list? Because, really, everything in life is mostly driven by happiness. on the simplest of levels.

Ephemeral Euphoria
July 7th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I admit that I used to be weirded out by Muslims in the past, starting to learn more about them though due to my GF being Muslim herself and all, wish I could have learned what I knew now back then.

phonastik
July 13th, 2011, 11:54 PM
^ Me too, when I was younger I was a bit prejudiced, because the Middle East was where all the bad news came from.
But when I was 12 I met one of my best friends, and she is Muslim. The saddest thing, I realise now when I look back on it, is that she whispered 'I'm Muslim' to me as if she was confiding in me that she was a serial killer.

Kiyoshi the Polar Bear
July 14th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I believe in a policy that no matter who you are,
That includes, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, what have you,
You could be a jewel to the human race and just as easily be a scumbag.

Just because a group of people who happened to be islamic did something bad, it doesn't mean the entire group of islamic people are like that group.

T_T"

Brane
July 14th, 2011, 05:27 PM
It's this thing where everyone bases a nation off of a few selfish actions of a few.

For instance, 911 (even though I don't believe it, but I'm going to keep that out of this thread). Everyone know believes the Middle East is a terrorist production company.

Nazi Germany, though not as bad, you do get a lot of selfish people that refer to German people as Nazi's.

You also have the popular soccer incidents where small minorities light flares and cause trouble, and a whole nation is labelled as irrational or uncivilized.

I'm sure there are many more examples, but the truth is you can't get to know people if you don't meet them.

I know for a fact back when Serbia was being bombed, and there was a lot of hatred going around for Muslims and Albanians in particular, it was a Bosnian Muslim who gave me and my family bread while we poor at that time.