PDA

View Full Version : Daily Single Reviews

RHIOneAlbum
July 7th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Not like anyone is gonna read this nor care
But Team RHI presents:
Daily Single Reviews
I'll be reviewing various singles from various genres every day! (hopefully I'll have the time every day to do so!) I find music, listening, remixing, producing, reviewing, to be a very fun hobby. I would like to share my thoughts on various singles by artists for you to enjoy! You can recommend a single that I review if you post below, and I will give a one-three paragraph review on the song! Along with a final rating and recommendation on to download it or not!

And now- let's get started!

Review #1-Airplanes (ft Haley Williams)
B.o.B
B.o.Bs Airplanes, originally by Lupe Fiasco, has become his greatist hit. Posting at #2 on the US Hot 100, and going multi-platinum before it's one year anniversary. Haley Williams sings the calming chorus to this track, where she wishes for a wish (that was funny. Laugh.) it goes along well with B.o.Bs verses, a perfect mix. The track was produced by Alex Da Kid, who is responsible for the #1 hit Love the Way You Lie, which is in many ways similar to this track. Now to the song~

The track starts with a piano intro, then goes into Haleys chorus, which adds a synth-clap beat and later a guitar. After Haleys chorus, B.o.B delivers his first verse, which explains the struggles on his want to become a famous rapper. Lines like "When your staring at that phone in your lap and you hope but them people never call you back!" express this. After another chorus by Williams, B.o.B delivers a longer, more detailed verse. In this verse he explains what his life was before, "Trying to get a tip at subway", and how he used to rap "for the hell of it". The song is a "Be careful what you wish for", when B.o.B asks if you could have a wish, what would you wish for? Then explaining the faults of being famous, where the media covers him so, and in the end he states he wishes he could get back to the music that started his career, before the famous producers etc.. He chants at the end that he wants one more wish.

Lupe Fiascos version, which has a different instrumental, is used in the sequel titled "Airplanes Part II (ft. Eminem and Haley Williams)". In this, B.o.B adds two new verses wondering if he had never became a rapper. Same with Eminem, except he uses one verse filled with cursing, possibly the most he's done recently in less than a minute. All three are great tracks.

9/10 B.o.Bs vocals could have been more excited, they sounded kinda dull to me.
I would definitely recommend buying Airplanes. Airplanes part II is album only, so you would have to buy B.o.Bs full album to get it. Lupe Fiascos version is found online after a quick Google search.
Till next day!
Review #2-All Signs Point to Lauderdale
A Day To Remember
Straight from A Day To Remember's new album, "What Seperates Me From You", the single "All Signs Point to Lauderdale" shines with a memorable chorus, great production by New Found Glory's Chad Gilbert, and outstanding vocal sound. The singles weak points are the beats which I'm pretty sure you've all heard before in various songs, however Gilbert arranged the beats so it sounds appealing. Another weak point is the rough ending, where an unpleasant guitar riff repeats multiple times, ultimately fading out, as most alternative songs do. Now for the in depth review~

Jeremy McKinnen, the bands vocalist, surely knows how to keep people listening, even if this isn't the listeners fav genre. Lines in the chorus such as "all my friends don't give a ****", added to the way he sings it, kept me tuned in. The song is composed of three verses, four choruses, and a nice intro. After listening a few times, i realized the chorus was recorded four times instead of once and then repeated, as dome commonly in modern bands. So in that case, props to you ADTR! The guitar instrumental is obviously identified from many songs, however the tempo set by the drums keeps it fresh. After the final chorus, however, the song dies. The final chorus is faded, and then a highly irritating riff starts, goes on for around 10-20 seconds, until it finally fades. I am not fond of fading to end a song, however it worked quite well for the song until the riff started.

8/10 for it's genre, it's a great song. And Im probably over ranting on this-but THAT RIFF.
I would recommend you buy this single, "All Signs Point to Lauderdale", and maybe ADTR's whole album. If you are into the genre, that is. Great song, but beware the ending.
Review #3-Morning Star
N-Dubz
I couldn't find much info on this song, so I'll go straight into the song and skip the background.

This single by N Dubz, which to me seemed like a lesser known "Black Eyed Peas", is better sounding than BEPs recent singles, and deserves a #1 spot more than "Boom Boom Pow". The instrumental, which is primarily techno pop, is great for the rememberable chorus. While the lyrics are cheesy at times, it makes for a great autotuned rap verse. By the time you're done listening, "You got me wishing on a starrr" will be stuck in your head for the rest of the day. It was for me, at least.

The song is composed of an opening singing verse, then goes into a chorus, singing verse, chorus, rap verse, chorus, outro bridge. The singing verses are quite weak and at times the producer seems to have been lazy, however the rap verse and the ending bridge sounded GREAT! Even though I could tell it was autotuned on the rap and some limes during the singing, it works for N Dubz, and they didn't overuse it like the more popular BEP.

7/10 for cheesy lyrics and at times lazy production, but great rememberable chorus and outro.
If this was on iTunes, I would have bought it. Unfortunately I could not find it and so I RealPlayered it off YouTube. But yes, definitely a song to get, one way or another.

Thanks for reading!

Lashh
July 7th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Ohh I have a single to request for you.

Could you do a review for All Signs Point to Lauderdale by A Day To Remember?

RHIOneAlbum
July 8th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Review #2-All Signs Point to Lauderdale
A Day To Remember
Straight from A Day To Remember's new album, "What Seperates Me From You", the single "All Signs Point to Lauderdale" shines with a memorable chorus, great production by New Found Glory's Chad Gilbert, and outstanding vocal sound. The singles weak points are the beats which I'm pretty sure you've all heard before in various songs, however Gilbert arranged the beats so it sounds appealing. Another weak point is the rough ending, where an unpleasant guitar riff repeats multiple times, ultimately fading out, as most alternative songs do. Now for the in depth review~

Jeremy McKinnen, the bands vocalist, surely knows how to keep people listening, even if this isn't the listeners fav genre. Lines in the chorus such as "all my friends don't give a ****", added to the way he sings it, kept me tuned in. The song is composed of three verses, four choruses, and a nice intro. After listening a few times, i realized the chorus was recorded four times instead of once and then repeated, as dome commonly in modern bands. So in that case, props to you ADTR! The guitar instrumental is obviously identified from many songs, however the tempo set by the drums keeps it fresh. After the final chorus, however, the song dies. The final chorus is faded, and then a highly irritating riff starts, goes on for around 10-20 seconds, until it finally fades. I am not fond of fading to end a song, however it worked quite well for the song until the riff started.

8/10 for it's genre, it's a great song. And Im probably over ranting on this-but THAT RIFF.
I would recommend you buy this single, "All Signs Point to Lauderdale", and maybe ADTR's whole album. If you are into the genre, that is. Great song, but beware the ending.

Hope you enjoyed my review! What's up for tomorrow Post your suggestion below!

Gold warehouse
July 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Could you please review Morning Star by N-Dubz!?

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
July 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Suggestion: you might want to write the body of the review on a different, smaller font. x.o For clarity purposes, maybe you could leave the fancy formatting for the titles. Just my two cents.

RHIOneAlbum
July 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Suggestion: you might want to write the body of the review on a different, smaller font. x.o For clarity purposes, maybe you could leave the fancy formatting for the titles. Just my two cents.

Ok, I'll switch it to Verdana for the bulk.

Review #3-Morning Star
N-Dubz
I couldn't find much info on this song, so I'll go straight into the song and skip the background.

This single by N Dubz, which to me seemed like a lesser known "Black Eyed Peas", is better sounding than BEPs recent singles, and deserves a #1 spot more than "Boom Boom Pow". The instrumental, which is primarily techno pop, is great for the rememberable chorus. While the lyrics are cheesy at times, it makes for a great autotuned rap verse. By the time you're done listening, "You got me wishing on a starrr" will be stuck in your head for the rest of the day. It was for me, at least.

The song is composed of an opening singing verse, then goes into a chorus, singing verse, chorus, rap verse, chorus, outro bridge. The singing verses are quite weak and at times the producer seems to have been lazy, however the rap verse and the ending bridge sounded GREAT! Even though I could tell it was autotuned on the rap and some limes during the singing, it works for N Dubz, and they didn't overuse it like the more popular BEP.

7/10 for cheesy lyrics and at times lazy production, but great rememberable chorus and outro.
If this was on iTunes, I would have bought it. Unfortunately I could not find it and so I RealPlayered it off YouTube. But yes, definitely a song to get, one way or another.

what's for tomorrow? Post below!