PDA

View Full Version : Nico Nico Douga / ニコニコ動画

TornZero
July 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Nico Nico Douga has been known as "the Japanese YouTube", though it has its own features, such as comments that scroll across the video as it plays. It's also known for having no English website.

As of April, it has an English website in its beta stages, and users of any other NND website can log in with the same e-mail and password as before.

Seeing as it has an English site now, and most probably can't understand Japanese, would you start using it? Or start using it more if you already tried the original page?

Sora
July 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I already go on NicoNicoDouga to watch/snag videos with NicoFox. I don't have too much problems using it, as I use Pixiv (another Japanese only site - this one for fanart) a lot and I generally have to do the same thing over there in order to get what I want to watch. Hearing that they're going to have an English site as well will make it much easier to go and watch videos, and perhaps I can broaden my 'horizons' in what I watch on NicoNico (unlikely, but hey. It might happen). Right now though, it doesn't look like the Beta has anything that I watch on the Japanese site, so I'll probably be sticking to the Japanese side until it's out of beta, or at least until they have the content I watch.

TornZero
July 7th, 2011, 05:38 PM
That was my original intention, too, since NND wasn't exactly difficult to use beforehand. The actual trouble was getting the registration done (though I did this in a time of having less understanding of the language), then it's easy-peasy.

The English site's already up, too, it's just niconico.com.

And I use ピアプロ/Piapro for my non-video needs.

Alice
July 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I've already been using it for a long time. I watch singing/gaming streams all the time.

In fact, I'm watching this stream right now: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv55833332

Sora
July 7th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I was using NicoNico until just a moment ago. Am I the only one who's getting some kind of message. I know there's a reason behind it, but when I translated the page telling me the details it looked like gibberish to me. Maybe it's just too late.

But yeah, I went and checked it out after I saw this thread (the english beta) and as I said before: it doesn't have what I watch/listen to yet so I'm going to wait until it does.

digi-kun
July 7th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I enjoy it for the musics, MADs, and "I tried doing it" stuff. A lot is also that the videos can loop and auto-forward to the next video when wanted. It also helps that all the anime radio shows I follow (ex. SSS Radio, Natsume Brothers (21)) end up on Nico as well.

~Ryukaa
July 14th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I tried using the Japanese version a couple times in the past, but didn't it require paid registration or something? Well anyway, since there's an english version now, I'll definitely use it time to time. xD;

digi-kun
July 14th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I tried using the Japanese version a couple times in the past, but didn't it require paid registration or something? Well anyway, since there's an english version now, I'll definitely use it time to time. xD;

Nope, it just required registration. There's the premium accounts, which are paid, but not having one doesn't really hurt the watching experience.

Cherrim
July 29th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I don't really see the point in having an English version... most of the biggest memes videos end up on YouTube and the people who venture off YouTube to look for this sort of thing were already doing in in Japanese. And its not like English menus will really make searching any easier. (Unless this is separate from the JP site in which case I ask why bother with a translated version if YouTube is already the big market in english speaking markets.)

Cassino
August 1st, 2011, 02:35 AM
It's http://www.niconico.com/ right? That's nice to see; if that is the site I can finally register. Plenty of things on Nico that fail to stay long on Youtube, or simply don't get put there at all.

I don't really see the point in having an English version... most of the biggest memes videos end up on YouTube and the people who venture off YouTube to look for this sort of thing were already doing in in Japanese. And its not like English menus will really make searching any easier. (Unless this is separate from the JP site in which case I ask why bother with a translated version if YouTube is already the big market in english speaking markets.)
I think they just want to make their site more globally accessable, and if they can then great; it's more of a 'why not' case than a question of 'why'.