PDA

View Full Version : Do you tend to get emotionally attached?

Guy
July 13th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Usually when I get into a TV series or I'm watching a film, I can sometimes get emotionally attached to the characters and what they're going through. For instance, if they encounter the loss of a loved one, I feel like I'm enduring the same pain they're going through. One good example of this would be when Elena from 'The Vampire Diaries' thought her best friend, Bonnie, had sacrificed herself to protect her from Klaus. I got really emotional inside, ─ but not crying ─ because Bonnie was such a great character and what she had to do really got to me. Another prime example would be Harry Potter. As we all know, it's coming to an end. Every time I see the final trailer for the film, my insides just burn up in all sorts of emotion for the series. Sadness, excitement, it just all gets to me.

Then, there's that feeling I get after I watch a film from the theater. I leave feeling exhilarated and pumped, and afterward I end up thinking about the characters of the movie for days to come. Thinking about what they would do in this situation and whatnot.

I consider myself becoming emotionally attached to TV shows and movies I'm really into, but does this happen to you all as well? Perhaps not for movies, but for books or music even.

Oryx
July 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM
For books I get emotionally attached. Often I can't even read sitting down, the story gets me so animated that I have to stand up and pace while I read, or pace and think about what they'd do. No matter how the story ended I would be sad just because there was nothing left to read.

Sodom
July 15th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I get so attached to my fictional characters it's unhealthy. Movies, books, TV, it doesn't matter. Fiction is pretty much everything to me, so if a character dies it's like I'm experiencing the death of a real life friend. It is for this reason that watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, AWESOME as it is, was probably not the most mentally-sound move I have ever made lol

Gold warehouse
July 15th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I think that you have to get somewhat emotionally attached to really appreciate a work of fiction.

I don't tend to get attached; most of the time I don't. Sometimes something just clicks, and that's when something goes from being great, to being a favourite of mine.