PDA

View Full Version : AOL does something *good* for once?

aRedMoon
December 22nd, 2004, 01:54 PM
http://news.com.com/AOL+gets+ready+to+launch+free+Web+e-mail/2100-1038_3-5501107.html?tag=nefd.top

That comes as a suprise to me, I'd never think of AOL actually going out and doing free e-mail. :/

Kairi
December 22nd, 2004, 05:05 PM
The best thing they could ever do for the internet is rid it of themselves. ^_^
Only a 100 MB and the AOL name? I don’t see what it has over Gmail and such. >P

pokejungle
December 22nd, 2004, 05:32 PM
You'd see how good AOL is if you had to suffer Earthlink....>>;

I think its a nice service, even if Hotmail is giving out 250mb.

aRedMoon
December 22nd, 2004, 06:10 PM
Hotmail is so slow though. :/

GMail still pwnz all others.

pokejungle
December 22nd, 2004, 06:13 PM
I know XD

Once you experience GMail, there's NO going back. ^^ *Hugs his GMail account!*

BigCN401
December 23rd, 2004, 05:24 AM
Yay! I'll sign up for AOL free e-mail for spam because that's all you really going to get. :)

Really, I don't need another e-mail account. I have MSN/Hotmail for eBay, Yahoo! for public, GMail for... er, nothing right now and Verizon for personal/private.

pokejungle
December 23rd, 2004, 08:47 AM

I just use my hotmail/gmail interchangeably. Sometimes I give out one or the other XD I like GMail better though. It's what I have for MSN Messenger.

Haruka
December 24th, 2004, 05:01 AM
*sighs* AOL is still evil.... even if they start free email. ^_^...

MSN Peminum is still better than aol.... ^_^

pokejungle
December 24th, 2004, 06:32 AM
I don't get what made AOL so evil...?

Although, I love MSN. Too bad they don't have any access numbers for my area >>;;

-.-;

Carlito-san
December 24th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Is Gmail free? But Abby's right.They are the worst internet service.*hugs his comcast*

Haruka
December 24th, 2004, 07:25 AM
AOL is evil because they take the full internet experience away. =/...

such as Parental Controls... =p

pokejungle
December 24th, 2004, 07:35 AM
My parents never use those. Earthlink has those too. I wish I had MSN or Comcast.

Yes, GMail is free.

Carlito-san
December 24th, 2004, 07:41 AM
I have comcast.I use Firefox though.Can i have the Gmail link?

ryan
December 24th, 2004, 07:45 AM
gmail is free but don't you have to be recomended for it?
do you think i'll be able to get my old aol username back? because that would be very good.
and, aol doesn't do good things. it's pretty funny, if you have the aim taskbar (i don't anymore, but i used to) it has popup blockers. when you go to aol or to aim.com your popup blocker is disabled.

pokejungle
December 24th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Ya, someone has to invite you to GMail. I have 5 invites currently. *I'm not sure how i'm going to use them yet =P*

Carlito-san
December 24th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Invite me.Come on!Please?

AOL is just a bad service,compared to Comcast speed,and the Firefox browser.

pokejungle
December 24th, 2004, 08:14 AM
What's your email?

You're lucky I'm so nice XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Carlito-san
December 24th, 2004, 08:19 AM
[email protected]

Wow,you're awesome.

pokejungle
December 24th, 2004, 08:26 AM
I know ^_~

Back on topic:

I really think that you guys complain too much about AOL. They may not be the best ISP, but they're certainly not the worst!

Carlito-san
December 24th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Then what is the worst?It's not comcast,or netzero.AT&T?

BTW do I wait for a email about Gmail?

Kairi
December 24th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Yes, they are the worst. A horrible piece of mutilating software with dumbed down everything all in one program. Crappy dial up, and very scandalous policies. I could go on and elaborate, but I don’t know too many of the specifics. Take a look around though, I’m sure you’ll find many educated AOL haters…and that’s not a coincidence.

aRedMoon
December 25th, 2004, 03:42 PM
At least they aren't like my aunt's internet provider... they put an ad on every page! :(

...and guys, GMail invites & stuff is against Sawah's rules.

Cherrim
December 25th, 2004, 11:35 PM
x_X Talk about GMail invites and stuff through PMs... not here.

To be honest, I think this is too little too late. It doesn't measure up to Yahoo or Hotmail which have been around longer, thus having a much bigger presence in the free e-mail department. Plus, with GMail and everything, I don't really see any sort of appeal AOL might have to the general public. o_O; Pretty much anyone who WOULD use AOL's free service are probably already subscribed to AOL for their internet connection.

FullMetalPipsqueak
December 25th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Gmail rules all! I dont think that even Yahoo, Hotmail, or AOL will compete with Gmail if they ever come out of the beta stage and give 1 free GB to everybody.

!Verb
December 25th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Yeah thats why they had to give it out free :P their loosing $$ thanks to dsl, cable, and netzero and now netscape.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 26th, 2004, 02:57 AM
JKaizer: Actually, even I would ban Gmail invites, but I'm not too interested in modding here, but I'll still close one. They're everywhere, like loads on your tree. And when I say loads, I mean, like one tonne.

Blah, AOL has been the driver of the AWOL train. They can't get any better from what they do. Sure, I like the messenger (only when I'm using iChat) and love MSN (only when I'm using the Windows version). I HATE AOL's official clients on the Mac and PC. It's so darn... messy, adware supported.. MSN isn't as bad, since it rarely actually shoves an ad in front of your face. When AOL is paid for flash ads (like the "Polar Express" one that popped up over all my windows) it gets annoying. That's only 1/100 of AOL's disgusting deeds.

I LOVE iChat. ^_^;; I hate AOL Win/Mac, I hate MSN Mac, I love MSN Windows. But best of all, I love the Linux "gaim" program. It's intergrated and open-source. ^_~

pokejungle
December 26th, 2004, 05:14 PM
~Sorry about the invite thing~

Its too bad AOL doesn't put more time into making AIM look as clean, smooth and as all around polished as MSN-M. The only reason I use AIM is for my friends, and to reach a wider spectrum of people because I'm a webmaster. =/

And AOL can't put an ad on every page unless the browser had a frame, because AOL would have to hack every site and re-code it to include and ad. If you're talking about pop-ups, AOL blocks those well. I use AOL at my grandmother's house and have never had a problem with it, so I'm not sure what you're talking about JK.