PDA

View Full Version : Women Wearing Make-up

deoxys121
July 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
What's your opinion on the fact that most women wear make-up while out in public? Personally, I think the majority of women actually are more attractive without make-up on. I told this to my girlfriend that she didn't have to wear make-up to come see me, and she actually looks more attractive to me than she does with make-up. I am one of those people who doesn't particularly like when a person covers up how they look naturally because I think everyone has their own natural beauty. What are your opinions on this?

wcdaily
July 23rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
I don't really pay attention, but if I had to say... I would prefer is if they don't wear makeup.

Alli
July 23rd, 2011, 09:25 PM
To each their own. I myself am not a fan of a lot of make up, but at the same time, I do enjoy seeing nice make up. But of course, in the sense that I like it, it has to be for an occasion, such as theatre, photography, fancy gigs, etc. Just hanging out and such, I am not a fan. Also don't like it when younger girls wear make up too soon. Dunno why you wanna be in a rush to wear it. It's not like it makes you more mature. lol

Aorio
July 23rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
I think make-up is fine, and can enhance a girl's features, if used correctly. But that's what make-up is supposed to do -- enhance your face, not cover it up or cake it. I go natural with my makeup.. a little bit of foundation and some eyeliner. My boyfriend says I look a lot better without it, though. To be honest, I don't understand how so many guys don't like makeup on girls, I just don't :x I always think a girl looks prettier when eyeliner makes her eyes pop and foundation makes her skin glow. But that's just meee.

Forever
July 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
I love make up since it conceals the bad stuff on your face :x And generally I feel like I look bad without it, soo...

But tbh I think when it's over done it looks bad unless it's like for going on TV or something. I know the news presenter I talk to has to wear a lot before she goes on TV and it makes her look nice and helps the camera view her better or something, but in general if people wear that amount of makeup it's sorta crazy. So really I see no issues with makeup as long as it isn't too much.

Alli
July 23rd, 2011, 09:34 PM
I think make-up is fine, and can enhance a girl's features, if used correctly. But that's what make-up is supposed to do -- enhance your face, not cover it up or cake it. I go natural with my makeup.. a little bit of foundation and some eyeliner. My boyfriend says I look a lot better without it, though. To be honest, I don't understand how so many guys don't like makeup on girls, I just don't :x I always think a girl looks prettier when eyeliner makes her eyes pop and foundation makes her skin glow. But that's just meee.

This actually. Forget what I said the first time, haha. Caked on make up is nasty unless you're about to be under a butt ton of lights and need it so you don't wash out under them. That is all.

Perrie ✿
July 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
I think woman look better with only a bit of make-up on. I hate seeing girls who look like they've just gotten a shovel and just thrown it onto their face. I also hate it when they apply more and more during the day. ):
And I'm pretty sure that some chemicals in make-up give you spots? ): Like the cheap stuff, but then they cake more on to cover the spots but they get more from the make-up... ;-;

2Cool4Mewtwo
July 23rd, 2011, 10:06 PM
I've never really cared about someone wearing a make-up or not... :S

But yeah, when it's over-done it looks weird and nasty (Yes, I'm talking to you, Lady gaga... :tired:), or when a guy does it (ex. Justin "youallknow*her*lastname").

G.U.Y.
July 23rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Meh, if that's what they want to do then let them. I like natural beauty, but make-up isn't ugly. It's supposed to be used to enhance your natural beauty (which I feel it does for a lot of women, however some just use too much.)

And can I just say this..eye liner on guys is so smexy. (http://images.wikia.com/lostpedia/images/6/62/RichardWelcomeHome.jpg) o3o

But yeah, when it's over-done it looks weird and nasty (Yes, I'm talking to you, Lady gaga... :tired:), or when a guy does it (ex. Justin "youallknow*her*lastname").

Her make-up goes with her outfit which is very..what's the word I am looking for..deep? It all has meaning or at least it ties into something. She doesn't wear a lot of make-up just to wear make-up. lol

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llkeyu0V5G1qbpemeo1_500.gif

Tyrantrum
July 23rd, 2011, 11:20 PM
Well, it's there own choice. But personally, I hate seeing too much make-up on women. Like, if they want to cover up a blemish, then that's fine. But when they put EVERY SINGLE OUNCE OF MAKE-UP THEY OWN ON JUST FOR ONE DAY, it scares me, and forces me to believe they're prostitutes, looking for attention, or both.

Alice
July 23rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
I've always thought women looked better without make up. Especially if it's on really heavy, it's actually a real turn off, honestly.

Melody
July 23rd, 2011, 11:43 PM
^ This. She's got it right.

Ok, don't get me wrong though; I don't believe makeup is necessary for all occasions. It's like jewelry or certain accessories, it doesn't go with every outfit, nor does it go with every occasion. Now there are exceptions; things like the right kind of mascara, or eye shadow can really make a girl's features pop in any situation and not really be extremely excessive. I personally think that shades of color in natural tones are pointless (this doesn't apply, obviously, to foundation)...if you're going to make your face pop, add some colors! Blue, Green, Red, something right? Other than that though, makeup isn't really needed all the time.

You know, I enjoy makeup when it's done right. When it makes the individuality of the girl wearing it pop out! When she feels supremely happy and confident in wearing it, and to hell with what other people think.

I also enjoy it when the same girl can walk out, without any makeup on at all, and feel the same way, expressing herself effectively however she pleases. Without feeling self-conscious about not having any makeup on at all.

If a girl can meet those two conditions, then she's using the makeup right; regardless of the colors she uses or how much or how little she puts on.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak
July 24th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I did a little bit of makeup artistry a few years ago and I'd usually feel a little guilty when putting makeup on someone. I'd think "You're so pretty without makeup and here I am about to cover up this natural beauty". I really prefer when a girl doesnt wear makeup, however I definately can appreciate some well-done costume makeup (but thats completely different to everyday makeup).

marz
July 24th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Women wear makeup because it makes them feel prettier and it does allow some creativity for themselves. As a man, I have no say in what they do with their bodies and that includes dabbing products on their face. All I can do is try to appreciate what it is they do with their makeup. I used to hate it when girls wore makeup and wanted them to just go au naturel but now I do find a girl to be substantially more attractive if they just put a bit of mascara on and some lipstick. But as soon as a girl starts dabbling with blush and eye shadow I can't stand it. It's just too much and it turns me off.

So yeah I like makeup, just not too much of it. And if a girl likes to wear makeup than who am I to stop her. They wear the makeup for us guys anyway, so instead of hating it we should embrace it.

JinRazielGames
July 24th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Make Ups are like Bingo on your face.
I prefer not to have. It makes every girl look like an evil clown.
Creativity?, Feel Attractive?, NO.
They are Minions of Joker.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
July 24th, 2011, 02:01 AM
The older women get the more they learn to appreciate what some makeup can do for their skin. By that I mean, a lot of makeup is intended to help women look younger again.

On that note, I certainly don't wear makeup just for others. It's for me too~

Blue Nocturne
July 24th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Men wearing make up?

Some people look prettier with make-up to highlight features, some look better without (though a lot of the time they simply don't realize this!), but as long as it doesn't look like it's been caked on with a gardening trowel, I'm fine with make-up.

twocows
July 24th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I think most people look fine (or even better) without it, but to each his or her own. If people want to hide behind a mask, I'm not going to stop them.

Guy
July 24th, 2011, 11:21 AM
To each their own, but personally, I prefer a girl with just a little touch of make-up. Cloaking her face with a ton of make-up just makes me look the other way to be honest. I have no say in how a girl wants to dress up her face, the most I can do is give my honest opinion to them from a guy's perspective. A girl's natural beauty is always the best in my opinion, but if they want to put on a little touch up, then that's fine with me.

As a guy, the only time I've had to put on make up was for performances at school. Depending on what I played or what role I took on, would determine how much make up I would need to take on that character's facial appearance and features. Otherwise, I too prefer myself naturally!

Esper
July 24th, 2011, 11:25 AM
On that note, I certainly don't wear makeup just for others. It's for me too~

^ I wish more people understood this.

I love how so many boys say "girls look better without it" so much. I guess they don't think it might just be for fun. But why the fear of it?

it scares me, and forces me to believe they're prostitutes, looking for attention, or both.

They wear the makeup for us guys anyway, so instead of hating it we should embrace it.

Makeup is all about pleasing the boys? I have to disagree. Maybe there's a discomfort around women's power/sexuality mixed in there somewhere. I mean, if you think that makeup is only for looking good for men then you're kinda assuming that it's only for attention and discount the possibility of it being just for fun. And it is fun.

Corvus of the Black Night
July 24th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I honestly can't stand putting on makeup but if I don't I won't look good enough for a job.

Seriously, everything is all about appearances these days... =_=

Freedom Fighter N
July 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM
What's the problem with make up?
I see no issue as long as there isn't too much. And every girl that has a brain knows what too much is.

Scarf and Yellow, you make it seem like it's some sort of self-esteem boost drug.

Blue Nocturne
July 24th, 2011, 03:01 PM
What's the problem with make up?
I see no issue as long as there isn't too much. And every girl that has a brain knows what too much is.

Scarf and Yellow, you make it seem like it's some sort of self-esteem boost drug.

Oh believe me, not EVERY girl knows what too much is... *shudders*

And it is quite rooted in self-esteem. My good friend Tamasine has a long term boyfriend, but still wore make-up to school (her boyfriend went to another school). She certainly wasn't out to look good for the boys, she just felt more assured with it on.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
July 24th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I perfer to see girls with little make up but that's just me, to everyone their own.
Lucky for me I've never seen a girl in real life that wore so much make up that she looked like a clown...
Also lots of guys wear make up too...actually thoughout history guys have worn more make up than girls...

PkMnTrainer Yellow
July 24th, 2011, 05:13 PM

...Well, it can be, only it's not really a drug so it's that much safer. c:

It's a funny phenomenon. If you make the effort to make yourself "look nice" it subconsciously helps you feel better about yourself. This applies to many things other than makeup as well. Hygiene is a prime example everyone can relate to.

Properly applied makeup only enhances ones natural beauty and doesn't hide it, imo.

Guy
July 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Properly applied makeup only enhances ones natural beauty and doesn't hide it, imo.
Well, that really depends on exactly how much one puts on. Too much and it does hide one's natural beauty.

If you put on make up that blends with your skin tone, and makes it gloss a little bit, then I think that looks nice on a woman. That's what I define as bringing out their beauty. But too much of it and it just looks, well... unnatural.

Oops. Just read your post over again, and I noticed the word properly at the beginning of that sentence. Well, I guess you could consider this a short explanation on "properly" applied make up. Derp.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
July 24th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah... I suppose it can't be helped that not everyone understands how to properly apply makeup. After all, if there are not people doing it out of naivety (or cultural differences for that matter), the hipsters will still do it out of ignorance.

Cassino
July 24th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Because women whom otherwise wouldn't are expected as per social norms to wear makeup, they tend to be complacent about it and it ends up looking bad.
Makeup looks great on both sexes if it's done well.

King Goodra
July 25th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I always thought the purpose of makeup was, not to hide your features, but to bring them out? It seems like most of the people I run across who are wearing makeup these days put a ton of makeup on and they don't even look like themselves anymore. Granted, to each their own, it doesn't look very flattering and gives a very deep impression on your opinion on yourself. Psychologically speaking, I find that people who wear a lot of makeup are more interested in what other people think of them, don't have very high self-esteem, despite whatever they may appear to have, and find themselves to not be very attractive.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
July 25th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Its very gross seeing a lot of old women wear pounds of makeup and plus their wrinkles.....eww. I wear makeup, I wear a little bit of eyeliner and I also wear mascara. I feel that if you put on just a little bit of make up then its okay but if you put on a lot, then that is gross because I feel that you are hiding who you truly are. I agree with PY, makeup does bring your features out more, thats the main reason why I wear eyeliner and mascara just so my medium brown eyes can stand out more.

:t354:TG

KateWills
August 1st, 2011, 03:56 AM
I personally think it gives another glance for your beauty in a professional way.

Adventure
August 1st, 2011, 05:17 AM
I wear makeup most of the days. Unfortunately, I've kinda become one of those girls who think they look a bit boring without make up. But I can go to school without it. I just... don't ^^

I sort of condemn people who wear too much though. It just looks silly. I never wear much.

m2287
August 1st, 2011, 10:18 AM
I think a little bit is ok as long as its not over the top

Gold warehouse
August 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM
Like Cassino said, either gender can be attractive with make-up when it's done well. People can be attractive without it either. It doesn't really matter. One person's preference isn't the same as everyone else's

It is sad that some girls feel like they have to be wearing it to be attractive, but only they can break out of that outlook. Otherwise there's no problem with it. It's just an extension of fashion; I don't hear anyone say that someone who takes pride in what clothes they wear is trying too hard

Anders
August 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
I don't mind makeup, it can be put on light or heavy, and it can look bad in both cases.. but that goes for everything. You can do the wrong hairdo, or wear clothes that don't look good on you.

It's just an extension of fashion; I don't hear anyone say that someone who takes pride in what clothes they wear is trying too hard

Well said. :)

Avey
August 2nd, 2011, 05:07 AM
What's your opinion on the fact that most women wear make-up while out in public? Personally, I think the majority of women actually are more attractive without make-up on. I told this to my girlfriend that she didn't have to wear make-up to come see me, and she actually looks more attractive to me than she does with make-up. I am one of those people who doesn't particularly like when a person covers up how they look naturally because I think everyone has their own natural beauty. What are your opinions on this?

most of these girls who 'don't wear makeup' are usually wearing 'natural looking makeup'.

Bluerang1
August 2nd, 2011, 05:30 AM
What I don't like is that from a young age it becomes part of them. Some can't leave the house without some form of make-up with is sad. Lotion isn't make-up by the way xD On the subject I think it's fine when used in moderation. Eye liner and masacara make the eyes stand out but they can also over shadow it making all you see black. Foundation is good to cover break outs. Lip balms/stick/chaps I'm not so fussed about. Even vaseline makes a good effect. That's all :)

Southueki
August 2nd, 2011, 07:25 AM
The skin is beautiful by itself.

So in my opinion women look better without make up.

I do agree with hydratant creams and such

Esper
August 2nd, 2011, 07:41 AM
What I don't like is that from a young age it becomes part of them. Some can't leave the house without some form of make-up with is sad.
Makeup is just another branch on the tree of personal appearance. We all wear clothes, bathe, brush our teeth and hair, mask our body odors, etc. so what's one more thing? I get that if you've never worn makeup yourself it might seem excessive, but that's what we used to think about bathing every day.

What I think is sad is that it's generally not considered acceptable (or at best it's only mildly tolerated) for men to wear makeup.

Shizz
August 2nd, 2011, 07:41 PM
To put it simply, make-up tastes bad, looks weird, and is unnecessary. I much prefer ladies to be proud of themselves for who they are, not how 'good' they can make themselves look with shark-skin made products and yak urine for scents. (perfumes, if you're wondering what I'm referring to.)

Kylie-chan
August 2nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
First of all, if the woman chooses to wear it and feels it makes her look good, then power to her. It's not about making someone attractive, because makeup can't do that. It's about enhancing what naturally exists and it's no different to someone dressing to draw her eyes out or choosing clothes that flatter her figure. It's another part of fashion and can really bring out your best physical assets when applied correctly. I don't wear it because I don't think it really suits me (not very good at applying it either, kind of heavy-handed) and I prefer the natural look myself (red lipstick, though, mmm~) but that's just me. I think the only problem with makeup is when women feel pressured to wear it because they think they can't look beautiful without it, which isn't a problem with makeup -- it's a problem with the messages that have been sent to them, and the media and people that reinforce them

If perfume counts, I wear a lot of that (not at once, I mean I wear a small amount regularly) because I like floral scents and frankly I smell damn good. It's not overpowering, it adds to a pleasant experience for both myself and everyone else.

To put it simply, make-up tastes bad, looks weird, and is unnecessary. I much prefer ladies to be proud of themselves for who they are, not how 'good' they can make themselves look with shark-skin made products and yak urine for scents. (perfumes, if you're wondering what I'm referring to.)

But wearing makeup doesn't mean you're not proud of who you are. To the contrary, a woman can be proud of who she is and want to enhance those things she's proud of. I'm proud of who I am and I still try to look my nicest (without makeup for aforementioned reasons), because presentation is important. I'm not trying to impress other people, though making a good impression is important in society (you don't need makeup to look clean and well-groomed, but it's a similar principle). It's about fun and enjoying working on one's appearance and if it's about anything more desperate than that indicates self-esteem problems, not makeup problems.