PDA

View Full Version : Welfare on Drugs

G.U.Y.
July 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Recently Florida passed a welfare drug-screening law (http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-01/politics/florida.welfare.drug.testing_1_drug-testing-drug-screening-tanf?_s=PM:POLITICS), and I was just wondering what peoples' opinions on this was?

Do you think that this is a good idea, or a bad idea?

I figured the OC would be good for this, since it's more of a debate than a poll.

Livewire
July 27th, 2011, 10:18 PM
It sends a horrible message that obviously, everybody on welfare abuses the system to buy cocaine instead of food and the like.

FreakyLocz14
July 28th, 2011, 02:08 AM
It sends a horrible message that obviously, everybody on welfare abuses the system to buy cocaine instead of food and the like.

People will draw whatever message they like. The reality is that our entitlement system is default bloated and we need to ween as many malfactors off the system as we can.

Blue Nocturne
July 28th, 2011, 03:08 AM

Of course they do! WHY NOT!

The welfare system is, as Freaky puts it, Bloated. But surely there are better ways of weeding out people who abuse the system than this?

Livewire
July 28th, 2011, 08:18 AM
People will draw whatever message they like. The reality is that our entitlement system is default bloated and we need to ween as many malfactors off the system as we can.

Show me some actual proof that the welfare system is "bloated" as you say. And I assume that by wean the malfactors, you mean cut the programs, so that people who actually need it can't get it.

groteske
July 28th, 2011, 09:10 AM

No, it reinforces the idea that those who are most likely to abuse welfare programs do so for a drug-related motivation. IMO it's more the appeal of getting by via feeding off the public teat while not having to work.

The food stamps program in particular is difficult to swindle, especially with the introduction of debit cards. When I worked in retail I'd have people try to return food items for cash (usually to purchase the 40oz in their other hand); doesn't work, it's put back into their food stamps balance.

ETA: re actual topic, why would I oppose drug testing for something I'm helping pay for?

FreakyLocz14
July 28th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Show me some actual proof that the welfare system is "bloated" as you say. And I assume that by wean the malfactors, you mean cut the programs, so that people who actually need it can't get it.

Wean those off who have been on welfare too long and those who abuse the system. Nobody is entitled to what others have earned.

You wanna see how a bloated entitlement system can destroy a state's economy? Come visit California and I'll show you around.