PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2011/2012 Topic

Kenshin5
July 28th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Since the lock out is lifted NFL we now have a new CBA in place for the next 10 years. The salary cap is now set at $120 million. Because of this there has been talks teams will try and work their way around this and instead of paying up front just add more incentives to the contract. Huge rookie contracts seem to be a thing of the past, it seems as thought the contract is going to be a 4 year one, with an option to opt out at the 4th year.

Since the Lock Out was lifted there has been a flurry of signings, resignings, trades and releases. Quite possibly the most active couple week off season strech

Notable ones being: Free Agents -Steve Breaston signs with the Chiefs, Matt Hasselback to the Titans, Santanio Holmes resigns with the Jets, Vincent Jackson resigns with the Chargers, Johnathan Joseph to the Texans, Logan Mankins stays with the Pats, Sidney Rice signs with the Seahawks

Trades - Chad Johnson goes from Bengals to Pats, Pats get Haynesworth, Dolphins acquire Reggie Bush from the Saints, Bears deal Greg Olsen to Carolina, Cards get Kolb from the Eagles, Vikings get McNabb from the Redskins.

I am glad we get this season underway with out missing any regular season games.

Livewire
August 4th, 2011, 08:11 AM
The Bengals managed to grab a few nice signings, Nate Clements will easily replace Jonathan Joseph. Too bad the Deuce Lutui trade backfired, a veteran O-lineman would be great for Andy Dalton. Also, A.J. Green has lived up to the hype, and has been looking extremely good in camp so far. Hopefully, they won't suck. Dx

Kenshin5
August 4th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Looking good in camp is one thing, but performing when it counts is another. Especially if Carson Palmer isn't QB. I doubt Andy Dalton will see any significant time until next season. Looks like the Eagles are the winners in FA thus far. Speaking of them I hope Mike Patterson is okay.

Sweet Candace
August 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM
The Eagles have training camp in the same city I live in; Bethlehem, PA at Lehigh University.

Dallas has been extremely quiet on the free agent warpath, as they mostly dumped players to get under the cap.

Expecting at least a .500 season for Dallas this season.

Kenshin5
August 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
That's cause the Cowboys are 6.7 million over the cap. Adam Schefter said they would have to restructure the contracts of Romo and Austin, so they could actually get under the cap.

Sweet Candace
August 4th, 2011, 09:57 AM
They dumped contracts of several players, most notably Roy Williams and Marion Barber.

They were discussing re-structuring those contracts, but I haven't seen any news about them actually going through with it.

Exile
August 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Well, since the lockout is finally over and kickoff happens in 2 weeks or so, it was only a matter of time that someone make this thread. So, just discuss pretty much everything football, here, whether it's fantasy, or discussion of how the league pans out.

To kick this thread off, what teams have stood out to you, in terms of offseason additions and their performance a year ago?

To me, the Eagles definitely look like one of the teams to beat in the NFC, same goes for the Pack, who have most of their players returning, not to mention Ryan Grant and Jermichael Finley, both elite players who were injured last season.

jab2033
August 23rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
the Pack, who have most of their players returning, not to mention Ryan Grant and Jermichael Finley, both elite players who were injured last season.

Yeah, I can see those two doing some really great things this season. Packers could have had at least a couple more wins if they didn't get injured.

They're running game is going to improve with Grant returning and 2nd year RB Starks. Finley's amazing as a tight end. They did lose Nick Barnet and Cullen Jenkins to the lockout, but still have a decent Defensive Back/Line group

Looking at their schedule, they have Carolina, Denver, St.Louis, Tampa Bay, Oakland, and Kansas City, all of which haven't done well in the past should be easy victories. As far as division games, Detroit may be improving but I do expect for the Pack to go 2-0 against them this season. I also expect a 2-0 record against Minnesota.

Go Pack Go!

Livewire
August 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
My hometown Bengals will still be probably god-awful, and I fully blame Mike Brown and the Bengals front office/management. They can't even rebuild right, they're that bad. Dalton should sit and learn, then the Bengals can tank 2011 and draft more studs in 2012.

Mr Cat Dog
August 24th, 2011, 01:43 AM
There's already a thread like this so...

Merged!

Kenshin5
August 24th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Looking at their schedule, they have Carolina, Denver, St.Louis, Tampa Bay, Oakland, and Kansas City, all of which haven't done well in the past should be easy victories. As far as division games, Detroit may be improving but I do expect for the Pack to go 2-0 against them this season. I also expect a 2-0 record against Minnesota.

Go Pack Go!
I dunno about Tampa or KC being easy victories. I think KC is just going to get stronger the next few years. Dwayne Bowe is a good upcoming receive just like say Deshawn Jackson, and Jamaal Charles keeps up what he did last year he is going to be one of the topic RB's up there with Chris Johnson(if he ends his hold) and Ray Rice(who I personally think is pretty good I dunno about anyone else though). I'm looking forward to Atlanta, San Diego, NYG games.

Dalton should sit and learn, then the Bengals can tank 2011 and draft more studs in 2012.
Yeah so he doesn't get a beat down by Suh again xD.

Livewire
August 24th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah so he doesn't get a beat down by Suh again xD.

Suh is a freakin monster of a man ok he does that to everyone. XD

I'd much rather save Dalton and throw Gradkowski or J. Palmer to the wolves. Even though the Bengals do have an easy schedule this year.

Kenshin5
August 24th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Gradkowski is alright(of course the comparison is against Jamarcus Russel is one of the biggest busts ever). I'd lawl if Jordan did better the his brother and they made him top QB. Although I am not a fan of Dalton, I still think he should set. I think Ryan Mallett is in a better position to succeed in the new few years after Brady retires(which who knows when that will happen). I was surprised Mallett fell as far as he did. Pats got a steal imo.

Livewire
August 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I think Ryan Mallett is in a better position to succeed in the new few years after Brady retires(which who knows when that will happen). I was surprised Mallett fell as far as he did. Pats got a steal imo.

Mallett isn't the first QB steal either - Remember Matt Cassell was Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart's backup at USC, and now he's the successful NFL starter. Brian Hoyer, the old Michigan State qb, is great too and could start somewhere. And Mallett should be the QB of the future in NE. A few years tutlage under Brady, then add his freakish size and abilities, combined with Bill Belechick, and you have one good QB. He could win some Super Bowls of his own.

Kenshin5
August 24th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Only thing I am wondering about NE is. WHY Haynesworth, then guy is more trouble the last couple years then he was worth having him. You think Moss had a lack of work ethic well Haynesworth too me is even worse. I understand they need a pass rusher after Seymour(who they should have paid) went to the Raiders.

And speaking of the Raiders now they got Terrelle Pryor. Which I kind of question if they NFL made an exception for him, because he broke NCAA rules didn't want to set out so went to see if he could go to the supplemental draft. Kind of almost seems he is rewarded for breaking the rules(which imo is kind of ridiculous that he can't see his own autographed memorabilia or any of his Big 10 rings. Then again rolling around in cars lent to him by local dealerships is another thing.

Exile
August 27th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Only thing I am wondering about NE is. WHY Haynesworth, then guy is more trouble the last couple years then he was worth having him. You think Moss had a lack of work ethic well Haynesworth too me is even worse. I understand they need a pass rusher after Seymour(who they should have paid) went to the Raiders.

And speaking of the Raiders now they got Terrelle Pryor. Which I kind of question if they NFL made an exception for him, because he broke NCAA rules didn't want to set out so went to see if he could go to the supplemental draft. Kind of almost seems he is rewarded for breaking the rules(which imo is kind of ridiculous that he can't see his own autographed memorabilia or any of his Big 10 rings. Then again rolling around in cars lent to him by local dealerships is another thing.

Well New England has a certain standard and nearly all of the supposed "problem players" that entered the team conformed to that standard, so I believe that Bill Belichick believes that they will conform to that standard, and that they obviously have the talent to be effective.

The Supplemental Draft isn't a huge deal, and no one really seems angry that the NFL allowed him to forego his senior season. Honestly, there is a chance Pryor can be effective, unlike Russel he has the work ethic and willingness to play and the athleticism is obviously there.

Livewire
August 28th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Kinda surprised by the drubbing the Lions gave the Pats last night, wow. :o Maybe they will actually be better than we thought.

My Bengals did pretty good against Newton and the Panthers. :D Dalton looked very good, hopefully it'll be like that from now on.

Kenshin5
August 28th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Well New England has a certain standard and nearly all of the supposed "problem players" that entered the team conformed to that standard, so I believe that Bill Belichick believes that they will conform to that standard, and that they obviously have the talent to be effective.

The Supplemental Draft isn't a huge deal, and no one really seems angry that the NFL allowed him to forego his senior season. Honestly, there is a chance Pryor can be effective, unlike Russel he has the work ethic and willingness to play and the athleticism is obviously there.
I haven't watched Sports Center or NFL programming in several days, but I heard he was under investigation for inappropriately touching a waitress or something like that. He is not really helping his case. I know they struck gold with Randy Moss, but this guy I dunno.

Kinda surprised by the drubbing the Lions gave the Pats last night, wow. :o Maybe they will actually be better than we thought.

My Bengals did pretty good against Newton and the Panthers. :D Dalton looked very good, hopefully it'll be like that from now on.
Lions did finish pre-season 4-0 when they went 0-16. They may be better the the Bears(who I think downgraded), and the Vikings(who come off too me as a 500. team just mediocre at best)

donavannj
September 11th, 2011, 01:16 PM
There have been some fairly shocking scores so far today. Bills beat the Chiefs 41-7, Lions beat the Bucs 27-20, and the Bears beat the Falcons 30-12, for starters.

Kenshin5
September 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Lions really isn't surprising tbh. Even the analysts say they are a team on the rise. And teams are still getting into their groove so a lose too the Bear isn't too bad, I mean they perennially have one of the best D's in the NFL. Although to put up 40 on them is a bit surprising. And the Bills wtf I thought they were going to be one of the worst teams in the NFL(although we are only one game into the season). All that matters is mah Pack won (=

donavannj
September 11th, 2011, 01:58 PM
What was surprising about the Lions is that they didn't revert to the incompetence that's plagued their organization for years, and that they beat a playoff team from last season. And that Chicago was so thorough in beating Atlanta.

DarkAlucard
September 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I wish that this season be a good one for Dallas, my favorite team. But the truth is that I think Green Bay will repeat as champion. The Lions also look strong this season. Meanwhile, I prepare to watch the Dallas Cowboys vs New York Jets game tonight.

Livewire
September 11th, 2011, 08:51 PM
There have been some fairly shocking scores so far today. Bills beat the Chiefs 41-7, Lions beat the Bucs 27-20, and the Bears beat the Falcons 30-12, for starters.

The Ravens also crushed Pittsburgh, 35-7. o_0 Wow.

donavannj
September 14th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I knew I forgot some shock result. o_O

Also, looks like Cam Newton tore up the Arizona defense for 400+ passing yards. That's a bit of a shocker, but not much of one.

Kenshin5
September 18th, 2011, 01:17 PM
-_- I am disappoint at the end of Raiders vs. Bills I'd be 8-2 if it wasn't for that CB not dropping the INT. So looks like Lions are the real deal, or that Chiefs just really suck this season. I think it's probably a forgone conclusion Colts miss the playoffs, there not going anywhere its the Texans year to shine anyways. Mah Pack come back <3 lets get some repeat baby!

donavannj
September 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I turn the game off at halftime with the Vikings up 17-0, and I check the scores later and they choke away that lead and lose 24-20. It was a near-repeat of Week 1. >:(

Kenshin5
September 25th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Wow Bills beat the Pats... And here I thought they would be one of the worst teams this year. Guess that breaks their 15 game losing streak to them since 03.

donavannj
September 25th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Wow Bills beat the Pats... And here I thought they would be one of the worst teams this year. Guess that breaks their 15 game losing streak to them since 03.

I found that really surprising. Bills might be for real this season.

In other news, the Vikings choke away yet another big half-time lead (this time it was 20-0) in losing 26-23 to the Lions. This is frustrating as a Viking fan.

Kenshin5
September 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Maybe the Vikings should not lead then come back. It seems like McNabb is definitely not the answer they were looking for.

donavannj
September 25th, 2011, 09:38 PM
They just need to know how to finish a game. They come out aggressive for a half and then play very conservatively, therefore leaving the defense on the field almost the entire second half.