PDA

View Full Version : Could it possibly be real?

Bluerang1
July 31st, 2011, 08:26 PM
Are there any Myths or Legends you think might be real? For example the Loch Nest Monster and Big Foot?

Where do you think these legends derive from and how easy is it to come up with one?

This isn't a voting poll, please state your belief or disbelief in any, why and proof :D Let's discuss their existence. Articles will be good too.

U.Flame
July 31st, 2011, 08:29 PM
I believe many mythical creatures can exist, but not as powerful monsters, but as an undiscovered species.

G.U.Y.
July 31st, 2011, 08:38 PM
Things like the Oarfish, Komodo Dragon, Giant Squid, and even animals like the Kangaroo, Mountain Gorilla, and more all used to be considered mythical creatures.

So, I don't think it's impossible for "mythical" creatures to exist, although it's becoming much less likely as we explore more and more. I wouldn't be surprised of the Loch Ness Monster was actually an animal in the deep Atlantic, we've explored less than 1% of the ocean floor and various depths of waters.

And Loch Ness does connect to the ocean..so..I mean..I don't know. It'd be cool but I'm not saying they're real.

Lance
July 31st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Every single myth or legend has a root or a basis in fact. For centuries, Sailors told stories of giant squid large enough to attack ships. Fast forward to 2006, and what do we find off the coat of Japan? 50 foot long Giant Squid species, Architeuthis.

Bluerang1
July 31st, 2011, 08:41 PM
Good point. What could these legends have been based on? Some say Nessy was a dinosaur. Nessy is like the only one I know stuff about xD

G.U.Y.
July 31st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Good point. What could these legends have been based on? Some say Nessy was a dinosaur. Nessy is like the only one I know stuff about xD

More than likely, the root of Nessy is the Plesiosaurus (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/37/Plesiosaurus2.jpg/250px-Plesiosaurus2.jpg).

Looks exactly like people describe the Loch Ness Monster.

Gymnotide
July 31st, 2011, 08:56 PM
It depends. Cryptozoology draws from a lot of different sources, but it's also the least credible of studies out there. It's more anthropology than an actual science, so I don't think scientifically justifying it is necessary.

If you're interested, you can always check out this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Cryptozoology
It was recently expanded--joy!

deoxys121
July 31st, 2011, 09:12 PM
I personally believe that every "mythical creature" that I've heard of is actually not a mythical creature, but it's an undiscovered species. Some of these would be the Loch Ness Monster and Ogopogo, which would be some type of large freshwater serpent, serpent-like fish, or, in the case of the Loch Ness monster, possibly an amphibious creature due to some of the proposed images of it.

Another example is bigfoot: this could be some type of ape, primate, or monkey-like creature, though more closely related to humans than known, similar animals.

And how about El Chupacabra? Quite simply, it's probably some sort of undiscovered carnivorous mammal that preys on livestock.

2Cool4Mewtwo
July 31st, 2011, 09:28 PM
I don't believe in a lot of myths, but they're usually based on something that already exists.

That being said... I wish this species (http://freehindu.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/quagga-freehindu-pets-animals-astrology-astronomy-relationships-career-technology-mom-kids-health-lifestyle-celebrity-sports-crime-news-freehindu-travel-literature-history-FREEHINDU-FREE-HINDU.jpg) was real NOW. (it's extinct)

U.Flame
July 31st, 2011, 10:29 PM
That being said... I wish this species (http://freehindu.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/quagga-freehindu-pets-animals-astrology-astronomy-relationships-career-technology-mom-kids-health-lifestyle-celebrity-sports-crime-news-freehindu-travel-literature-history-FREEHINDU-FREE-HINDU.jpg) was real NOW. (it's extinct)

You never know, many thought-to-be extinct species turn out to be alive.

Also, what do you peoples think of the giant centipede/millipede?(forgot which one) It's supposed to be an extinct species but some people say there's an island where they still exist. True or false? Opinions?

Myles
August 1st, 2011, 01:13 AM
There's actually a few reasons to be skeptical of things like Big Foot and the Loch Ness Monster. Both come in only a small area and people have been trying to prove their existence for a long time. You'd think we'd have something credible by now.

Things like the Oarfish, Komodo Dragon, Giant Squid, and even animals like the Kangaroo, Mountain Gorilla, and more all used to be considered mythical creatures.

So, I don't think it's impossible for "mythical" creatures to exist, although it's becoming much less likely as we explore more and more. I wouldn't be surprised of the Loch Ness Monster was actually an animal in the deep Atlantic, we've explored less than 1% of the ocean floor and various depths of waters.

The existence of the giant squid and mountain gorilla were once in doubt, but no the others. I don't see this as a big deal though. Just because something was doubted doesn't mean it's not true. If we accepted everything at face value before getting proof... we'd be believing in Big Foot. :P

Loch Ness (the place) is freshwater. I doubt Nessie could live in both freshwater and saltwater. So I don't think they'd freely be able to go from the lake to the ocean without problems.

Zet
August 1st, 2011, 01:44 AM
Ogopogo is the only real plesiosaur known to date. Nessie is probably just a toy submarine and Champ is just a log.

OminousMix
August 1st, 2011, 02:05 AM
I believe lots of these Mythological creatures to be real, just undiscovered.
Aliens were once a myth or just never thought of i guess....
But lot's of events occured pointing to their existence.
I consider Mythological creatures to be hybrids of different species...[Extinct or still living] that were just a type of animal evolution.

Spherical Ice
August 1st, 2011, 03:10 AM
It depends. Cryptozoology draws from a lot of different sources, but it's also the least credible of studies out there.Second least credible. Don't forget astrology.

Aaaanyway, I can't say I believe in the Loch Ness Monster and creatures of that ilk, however I do find there must be some truth in what these myths say, especially when two completely different cultures who probably never met describe essentially the same thing in some myths/legends.

Azure Rathalδs
August 1st, 2011, 03:37 AM
Like many people, I think that mythical creatures are just undiscovered creatures. We've found some rather bizarre animals like the duck-billed platypus and the koala, so I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that dragons or unicorns exist.

Zet
August 1st, 2011, 03:38 AM
Like many people, I think that mythical creatures are just undiscovered creatures. We've found some rather bizarre animals like the duck-billed platypus and the koala, so I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that dragons or unicorns exist.
You forgot the drop bear.

Myles
August 1st, 2011, 03:41 AM
Unicorns wouldn't be extremely implausible. Although that we haven't found them yet is enough for me to believe there aren't any. Dragons though? Flying is ridiculous aerodynamically. There are come sea creatures that can shoot extremely hot (thousands of degrees) bubbles, but I highly doubt that. Also, the same as with unicorns, we haven't discovered them yet.

Gymnotide
August 1st, 2011, 07:08 AM
I don't believe in a lot of myths, but they're usually based on something that already exists.

You never know, many thought-to-be extinct species turn out to be alive.

Also, what do you peoples think of the giant centipede/millipede?(forgot which one) It's supposed to be an extinct species but some people say there's an island where they still exist. True or false? Opinions?

Guys, the zorse (yee-aww, it's called a zorse) isn't extinct, but a chimera. If you wanted to, you could go to your backyard and create one right now--provided you had a zebra and a horse of opposite genders, in good health, and prime mating condition. However, the reason why zorses are so rare is that (1) chimeras are pretty inefficient to make--you've got one wild species and one domesticated species, and what comes out is something with neither of the qualities you want, and (2) chimeras can't breed.

Pyrax
August 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM
Ogopogo is the only real plesiosaur known to date.
I thought Ogopogo was created by the Okanagan to keep their kids from going into the lake?

Unicorns wouldn't be extremely implausible. Although that we haven't found them yet is enough for me to believe there aren't any.
As far as I know, Rhinos and Narwhals were the basis for the Unicorn myth.

Mew~
August 1st, 2011, 09:50 AM
I've always been a big fan of Dragons and I really like the idea of a Griffin. Though I know they are just made up myths, I'd love it if they were real.

Though, if there can be such thing as a Platypus, then I'd love to see a real life Griffin.

U.Flame
August 1st, 2011, 10:54 PM
If unicorns are horses with a horn, wouldn't that mean they can be genetically engineered?

Gymnotide
August 1st, 2011, 11:17 PM
If unicorns are horses with a horn, wouldn't that mean they can be genetically engineered?

That's not how that works. You can't just alter one or two genes and expect a horn; you'd need to alter a whole lot of them, just to get the right bone structure without messing everything else up. Sure, you /can/ genetically alter a horn onto a horse, but you'll have changed its entire species too. It's the same concept as creating a whole new species altogether.

U.Flame
August 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM
I never said it'd be simple. If they make it into a new species, that would actually be better. Also, even if they mess up the bone structure, kill it in the process, but only after it lives seconds of immense pain and torture, but it's fine on the outside, I'm sure a picture of that would satisfy Unicorn fanatics.

Gymnotide
August 1st, 2011, 11:43 PM
With that philosophy, you could create ANY cryptozoological creature.

U.Flame
August 1st, 2011, 11:45 PM

I'm sure it's already happened in secret experiments just for fun. Who knows?

Gymnotide
August 1st, 2011, 11:53 PM
Yeah, sure. Except we haven't even the basics of genetic engineering mastered yet.

U.Flame
August 2nd, 2011, 01:48 AM
Yeah, sure. Except we haven't even the basics of genetic engineering mastered yet.

...Or have we?... Dun dun duuuun! conspiracies

IceSage
August 2nd, 2011, 02:12 AM
I believe in undiscovered species not yet found, or found again. However, Bigfoot and Loch Ness I can tell you, don't exist, period. They only exist as legend and stories, and nothing more.

U.Flame
August 2nd, 2011, 02:31 AM
What about UFOs? Many sightings are misinterpretations and hoaxes but there are still many that are unexplained. I personally believe aliens can be responsible for that. But maybe secret government aircraft? I still think aliens.

Emolga
August 2nd, 2011, 03:18 AM

Ahh, that would be so cool. I am fascinated my marine species that are not discovered.

Bluerang1
August 2nd, 2011, 05:26 AM
The Yeti might have just been a big ape. I heard that when the world is at peace, the unicorn would appear again ^^

Lance
August 9th, 2011, 08:36 AM
What about UFOs? Many sightings are misinterpretations and hoaxes but there are still many that are unexplained. I personally believe aliens can be responsible for that. But maybe secret government aircraft? I still think aliens.

I tend to agree. There are some reports that are obviously bogus, but every now and then you'll find accounts of extraterrestrial activity that can't be readily disproven.

Or go back and look through history - the ancient alien theory is eerily plausible.

dinosaurodon
August 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM
^ you watch Ancient Aliens too?

SV
August 10th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Santa Claus is real! I don't care what anyone else says!

deoxys121
August 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I tend to agree. There are some reports that are obviously bogus, but every now and then you'll find accounts of extraterrestrial activity that can't be readily disproven.

Or go back and look through history - the ancient alien theory is eerily plausible.

With all of the speculation about aliens having visited in ancient times, such as ancient people perceiving aliens as their "gods" that they believed in, I truly believe that there is a great possibility that aliens visited in the past and may still be doing so today.

Spanner226
August 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM
With very little of the ocean explored, I would think it's safe to assume that there are several organism species yet to be discovered, and perhaps prehistoric species once thought to be extinct still existent today(the coelacanth is an exceptional example). Myths and legends are no exception; however, I am sure the most plesiosaurs dwell within the ocean, though living things adapt(some not as well as others), and if the Loch Ness monster was existent, this would be a good reason why.

It would be quite exciting to see something such as a liopleurodon today. However, I'm most likely be going ahead of myself a tad too much.

Yagerbomb
August 12th, 2011, 11:36 PM
By the time i am forty, I should be able to own a Griffin that I can ride to work. His name would be Zeus, and his wings would be a chocolate brown, and after a long day I can snuggle with my Griffin. Not to mention Zeus could catch mice and small rodents. Heck, he could fish too. Hmm... Griffins..

Chu
August 19th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Some of then could be true I guess...

Azure
August 19th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Well Im sure they could be, I mean where did they all come from and the term for them plus apparent "sightings" you just don't know... you can't say yes or no untill you find a conclusive answer.

TheUltimateSacrifice
August 20th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I saw a Bunyip once when I was young. No one believed/believes me but that doesn't change the fact that I saw it!

Chikara
August 20th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Not really. I think I've had some paranormal experiences, but I can't be sure about it so :/

If Slenderman exists though, I think I might an hero.

Cartooned
August 22nd, 2011, 06:02 AM
Bigfoot is awesome. And UFOs are cooler. I think that there are Bigfoot everywhere...and UFOs. :P Freaky stuff.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
August 24th, 2011, 04:39 AM
The only mythical creatures I have an opinion on are ghosts. I definitely believe in them, mainly due to personal experience.

Others? No opinion.

Lance
August 31st, 2011, 08:48 PM
The only mythical creatures I have an opinion on are ghosts. I definitely believe in them, mainly due to personal experience.

Others? No opinion.

Ooo, thanks for reminding me to remake an old thread.

Ghosts are a grey area- literally. The effects of carbon monoxide and ones own consciousness can explain ghostly things, but then again, every now and then you hear old legends that have endured fir centuries. Hmm.

Bluerang1
September 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
Plus mediums.

I saw an article today about all these creatures. People that have seen huge foot prints, surely they're big foot's? And it seems some of these things are just thought to be or actually extinct animals. Link. (http://travel.uk.msn.com/mythical-creatures-and-where-to-find-them)

Tomandgreen
September 1st, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm a firm believer in Nessie, Bigfoot, and possibly even Thunderbirds (large undiscovered birds), but ghosts, zombies, demons, etc. are too unlikely for me to believe in. Why would ghosts haunt people? They are bored? I mean, really? That's like believing in magic. it's fun to say it's true, but there is no proof at all that anything like it could be true. Bigfoot is easily possible, and so is Nessie, and discrediting them is closing your mind to a serious possibility. Narwals exist! Zebras exist! Whales exist! Those animals could be considered strange. Oh, and the Giant Squid. Admit it, you can't say they are fake. You just can't.

Mikosage
September 5th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I still hold out hope that Jackalopes are real.

Flashpoint
September 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I would like to see big foot just because they say he's so big. I'm not the type of person that believe in myths or legends.

aruchan
September 5th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I think some of the cryptids might be real, maybe even the Loch Ness Monster. I personally like bargheests the best. ^_^
Psuedoscience sometimes does become science, for instance.

Lance
September 25th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I think some of the cryptids might be real, maybe even the Loch Ness Monster. I personally like bargheests the best. ^_^
Psuedoscience sometimes does become science, for instance.

At one point in time, science was thought of as a pseudoscience. Nothing should simply be written off simply because of biased thinking.

Guy
September 26th, 2011, 07:04 AM
The way I see it, I have no reason not to believe something such as mythical or supernatural beings exist. If it doesn't exist in our world, who's to say it doesn't exist elsewhere? The universe doesn't center around Earth after all.

Joe Chan
September 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I believe in them! Except for anything that doesn't sound right.
Unicorn sure, a horse with a single horn.
Bigfoot, a large ape.
UFOs, government/extraterrestrial.
Elves,...really.

Lance
October 8th, 2011, 09:50 PM
The way I see it, I have no reason not to believe something such as mythical or supernatural beings exist. If it doesn't exist in our world, who's to say it doesn't exist elsewhere? The universe doesn't center around Earth after all.

With billions of other galaxies, each with billions more planets, the odds are, well, astronomically high that there is some sort of life elsewhere. .