PDA

View Full Version : A character who enraptures us with persuasive intensity

abnegation
August 3rd, 2011, 04:15 AM
Little extract from my Hamlet essay, back in my final year.
Have you ever met someone who has had an astonishingly strong personality? A character that draws you in, to everything that they say, that you find yourself eager to be around them more, and everyone else feels the same?

I've met few people in my short lifetime, that have had this effect on me, that they truly drew me in to admire their character from the moment I met them. I've met people with comfortable intensity, and striking yet soft personality. So, have you ever met someone who from the moment you met them, has drawn you in by their character and personality?

Katholic Nun
August 3rd, 2011, 05:02 AM
Yeah, there was this one girl called Alex that I went to high school with. She transferred in in Year 9 and won everybody over almost immediately with her overwhelming yet not-obnoxious sort of confidence, and had this oddly seductive way about her - not necessarily in a sexual way - that just made everybody want to be her friend. And she was nice to EVERYBODY, no matter who they were, which is so incredibly rare for a high school. I still keep in contact with her now on Facebook. She does alternative modelling and works as an amateur burlesque dancer while she goes to university to become a journalist.

I think she's the most interesting person I have ever met in real life.

Esper
August 3rd, 2011, 08:21 AM
There was someone I met in college. She lived just across the way, but I never spoke to her for most of a year just because I didn't spend much time there and didn't really talk with my neighbors (who were mostly annoying). I forget how I ended up over at her place, but I ended up there until something like 3 in the morning without realizing it. She had this kind of storyteller personality where anything she talked about was really well spoken and captivating. It's not that she was talking about anything terribly dramatic or was a very dramatic person herself, she was actually a little shy, but she had a way of making you want to listen to her and keeping you engaged. It was kind of amazing. When I left I spoke with someone else and they said they had the exact same impression so I know it wasn't just me.

I've met other people I had similar impressions of. They tend to leave a mark.

groteske
August 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Yes, two.

Both were extremely intellectually intense - one was as objective in mind, purpose, and personality as a Rand character. He emanated knowledge and wisdom in a calm, rational manner that drew you to listen and inspired you to better yourself.

The other was that particular brand of intellectual & artistic genius combined with the lid slightly ajar on the crazy bin. He's what I truly define as intense, and can appear downright intimidating even before he speaks. His ideas and musical compositions are always astonishingly outlandish yet oddly rational and efficient.. his whole existence seemed to be a challenge. He serves as a constant creative motivator, and inspires me to dredge more deeply and become more artistically honest in compositions.
Because his fiance decided I was a threat, I am no longer able to speak with him. The day I received that news I cried for the first time in five years.

Naruto Uzumaki
August 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
A few times, to be honest. One of the main ones was my ex. She's pretty smart for her age, she helps out whenever she can, always there to listen to you, never gives up, and overall she has a certain aura about her. A lot of people are moved about her, but for some reason, she doesn't really show how smart she is all the time, not on grades really or people who think they're smarter than her. She always lets them think they're smarter. And the only bad part is, she doesn't trust people very well, since an incident in the past. She also gives off a feeling where you want to protect her, at least for me it was like that.

Gold warehouse
August 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Can't say that I have. I have been captivated by many people, but not in an astonishing or extraordinary way. They've never been widely appreciated either; I tend to have different views of what's great and what isn't.

There's been a few occasions where I thought I'd met somebody amazing, but they were actually just very good actors.

Ayselipera
August 3rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
There have been people who definitely had a certain vibe about them that drew me towards them, but it's never been in such a monumental way that I was overtaken by it. No one ever agrees with me so I can't say everyone else sees it too, but I suppose that makes it more "special."

Patatas Fritas
August 4th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Yes, I have met and am close too someone like that. I'm hooked on their every word, no one I know actually agree's with me on the matter but I have been told by others that this person does have an alluring personality, though it appears to only be me who's drawn in by them in such a way.