PDA

View Full Version : You're sentenced to 6,060 years in prision!

Gothitelle.
August 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Apparently there was something that happened in Guatemala where 3 men were sentenced to 6.060 years in prison for killing over 200 men, women and children. Read here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44005630/ns/world_news-americas/?gt1=43001

I brought this up because I wanted to start and discussion about sentencing. Does anyone else think that their sentences are getting ridiculous? I mean we have some who are serving two 100 year sentences etc but this one takes the cake. Can't people just give them life? It's the same thing, they are never getting out?

Whats the difference between life and 6000 years?

Stormbringer
August 3rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Life sentences still offer the possibility of parole. Ridiculously long sentences like this mean that they won't ever see the light of day again. As it probably should be.

U.Flame
August 3rd, 2011, 06:12 PM
Isn't there such thing as life without parole? (besides an impossible amount of years) I also wonder if the day someone invents immortality (if it's invented, and while we have the same legal system) and get a ridiculously long sentence, would they actually get out at the end of their sentence?

Oryx
August 3rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
There's no such thing as a life sentence in real life, I believe. It's just a sentence longer than a natural life would be able to last. The longer it is, the less likely they'll reach a point of parole before they die.

Ivysaur
August 3rd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Here, the prison limit is 40 years, so ridiculously long sentences only have the goal of making reductions and benefits null and void. Example: if you work or get a carreer or apologize for your crimes via letter and pay your debts, your sentence will be cut by some years. That's some years from the 6000 years you have been sentenced to, so this means you'll still have to serve the full 40.

Of course, in countries with life imprisonment, I can't really see the point. But not all countries have that..

Melody
August 4th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I know in the US, life sentences can be handed down by the judge with a "NO PAROLE" modifier. So it's not a matter of that. It's just a sentence that's mathematically added up to that many years. Someone who has committed that many crimes should naturally be given an insanely long sentence like that, because who knows what lawmakers in the criminal's future might do, especially in countries which change regimes as often as they change socks, or just happen to be politically unstable or corrupt.

It's not inhumane to sentence them to that much time when they clearly deserve a death sentence anyway, but cannot be executed because the country has banned Capital Punishment. Obviously the court wished to make damn sure the person never sees the light of day and considering what that person did, I cannot honestly blame them.

Logically speaking, a prison term which exceeds double the maximum theoretical lifespan of any human should simply be considered "Life without appeal, parole, or any access to being released ever again."

If that's inhumane to you, then perhaps Capital Punishment isn't so bad after all, even if it's used only in cases like this where the person would never live out enough of his/her sentence to be freed.

What's worse is that the country has a cap of 50 years. I don't like maximum prison terms...I think if your sentence exceeds such a number it should be death sentence anyway, with your time in prison as the chance to prove yourself innocent in a court of law, if you don't run out of courts.

fire_man
August 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Life sentences still offer the possibility of parole. Ridiculously long sentences like this mean that they won't ever see the light of day again. As it probably should be.

Yeah that's right. For me personally I'd rather just have them kill me then sit in a prison cell my whole life...unless I got to bring my DS haha

pokecole
August 4th, 2011, 06:08 PM
In some states in the U.S, a life sentence isn't until they die. Sometimes it's about 40 to 60 years in prison, which is longer then they'll probably live.

clacla$$$
August 4th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Wow, I'd laugh if one of them were like a wizard and Lived the 6,060 years xD
That's an extremely long sentance though :\

NurseBarbra
August 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
A "Life sentence" is different in all countries, for example,
In the UK,A "Life sentence" means for life,
In Norway,A Life sentence means 21 years
In Ireland though, a "life sentence" is only 7 years, don't ask, our system is messed up enough.

Gothitelle.
August 5th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Here, life means you stay forever. I see no need for these long sentences.

Impo
August 5th, 2011, 07:18 AM
The punishment fits the crime, in my perspective.
Killing is an unlawful thing to do. I'd command for death - but then I realized that would be the easy way out. To be brutal - I would prefer them to suffer and dwell in the insanity of a jail cell than to be killed in a matter of minutes by an injection.

Atomic Pirate
August 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Here, life means you stay forever. I see no need for these long sentences.

Well, in the USA (pronounced yoo-ess-aiyy), a Life Sentence is for life, but likely the inmate will be paroled at some point. I remember a certain case of a man who murdered his family with an axe, and he got 27 consecutive life sentences. That just means that he won't be paroled. (By the way, Gothitelle, parole means that they are released from a prison term, due to some complicated legal actions that you couldn't possibly understand)

Bela
August 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_az-r16syqyo/TK1atXce1xI/AAAAAAAAGv8/vfqka2WvLUo/s1600/bleach-01.png

When you're immortal like Aizen, no amount of time is ever enough!

In which case, the only logical sentence is a life sentence.

G-Virus
August 5th, 2011, 09:16 PM
A life sentence is a bit ridiculous if it's for a crime such as killing. Personally, I'd give them the death sentence, but I would have them killed in the same way they killed, but more slow and torturous. Yes, I have no mercy for evil that does not repent and thinks it's ok to do wrong.

Captain Hobo.
August 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Here is what I think if you kill someone other than in self-defense you should be sentenced to death.

DarkAlucard
August 8th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Here in Mexico a few days ago, there was a record-breaking decision, because it is the longest in the history of the Mexican justice system: more than 1500 years in prison for a scammer. This is so in any way, even paying millions in fines, these people can see again the light.

Guy
August 8th, 2011, 03:56 AM
If someone is issued a life sentence, then it should be just that. For life; no parole, no bail. If they're just going to be sentenced to prison for 10 maybe 25 years with parole, then I don't think that should be considered as a life sentence if their freedom is inevitable providing that they do live out that time span.

In the case of these three men who murdered all those people, then I believe that's where the death sentence should come into play. If they can take so many lives away without considering what they're doing is absolutely wrong, then I don't think they need to be taking up government money and a cellar in prison. It doesn't feel like justice to me.

clacla$$$
August 8th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I've seen people saying stuff like:

The punishment fits the crime, in my perspective.
Killing is an unlawful thing to do. I'd command for death - but then I realized that would be the easy way out. To be brutal - I would prefer them to suffer and dwell in the insanity of a jail cell than to be killed in a matter of minutes by an injection.

A life sentence is a bit ridiculous if it's for a crime such as killing. Personally, I'd give them the death sentence, but I would have them killed in the same way they killed, but more slow and torturous. Yes, I have no mercy for evil that does not repent and thinks it's ok to do wrong.

Here is what I think if you kill someone other than in self-defense you should be sentenced to death.

Honestly, if you would kill them or have them sentenced to death, what would make you any better than the criminals and murderers?

Gothitelle.
August 8th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Honestly, if you would kill them or have them sentenced to death, what would make you any better than the criminals and murderers?

Excaclty. I'd rather sentence someone to life than death any day.

Mr. X
August 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM
So in other words you'd rather trap a person in a metal box and make people pay for his every need?

Ivysaur
August 8th, 2011, 10:16 AM
That way he'd have a chance to be proven innocent and regain his freedom, something a corpse doesn't have. Also, time to think about his errors, and suffer the consequences. Being trapped in "a cage" is not exactly a leisure trip.