PDA

View Full Version : Ga Ga Goo Goo

Oryx
August 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
What do you think about Lady Gaga and the Goo Goo Dolls? I kid, I kid.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/taboo/5333/Videos/10113_00#tab-Videos/10113_00

First, watch the video. If you can't watch, here's a basic summary of it, but you won't get the whole effect of the video if you just skip to summary, it's less than five minutes long and worth it.

29 year old Stanley Thornton spends about half his life pretending to be a baby. He's felt more comfortable like this since he was 14 years old. He lives in a house with an older retired nurse who fills in as his mother, while he plays with legos and toy soldiers, sleeps in an adult-sized crib, and wears diapers. He has the ability to act as an adult and does so when he leaves the house to avoid questions or judgement, but at home he is taken care of as if he is a baby.

What are your thoughts on this? I don't really have any specific questions; go wild with your opinions :3;

Gold warehouse
August 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Saw this recently; if he had a job and was supporting himself financially then what he does in his own time is his business, he's not harming anyone, so there would be no problem with it.

Only thing is, neither him nor his carer have a job. They're both claiming to be disabled, unemployed and getting the state to pay for his lifestyle. That's the only real issue.

Esper
August 3rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
What Vendak said.

But to add my own words: I'm not going to judge what people do if it's harmless. I'm sure that's what a lot of people will say, but in addition to that I don't find it bothersome or weird personally either. It doesn't feel at all threatening. The guy in the video seemed quite normal. To say that in another way, if I had to choose to hang out for an afternoon with him or any random person I encounter in my daily life I think I'd pick that guy at least half the time because lots of people out there seem... just too difficult to relate to. The rationale behind this whole lifestyle (?) seems kinda mundane, really.

U.Flame
August 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM
I think it's incredibly creepy. But no harm should mean no problems. But, it's just a really weird thing to do.

Sydian
August 3rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
Well, it's odd to say the least. But it's not hurting anyone and it's how he enjoys living. No problem there. I could never do that. In a way though, I think he's got a nice train of thought. That desire to remain young and retain that innocence of a baby...there's nothing wrong with that. However, the thing with infants is that once you get to around age 3 or 4, that's when you start remembering things. You can't look back and think "oh I remember back when I was four weeks old" so in a sense, I find it odd he'd choose to live as an infant, and not per se, a toddler or 6 year old or something. But I digress, lol. I think I'm like, way off track or something. :( I'mma just go now.

Oh. I do agree with Vendak though, that it's not really right that this guy is living off the state when he is very well capable of acting like an adult, and could probably hold a job of some sorts. It'd be better if he was affording this lifestyle on his own, however, infants don't pay for their lifestyle. So, in a sense, he's kind of just...furthering that infant role he's going for. So I'm sure he's thinking that because he is an infant, why should he work? And why should he pay? Hardcore roleplaying, bro.

2Cool4Mewtwo
August 3rd, 2011, 09:34 PM
what is this I don't even... :tired:

I mean, there's nothing wrong with it if he acts normal in the "outside world," but I honestly have no idea why he wants to do this. It's just abnormal.

pokecole
August 4th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Well, I guess what he does in his time is his own business but... I can't help feeling like he's taking advantage of it, not having to be responsible and being waited on, it just seems, weird. I mean don't all kids just wanna be an adult and have a house, make the rules, and have alot of money? What kind of kid says, I dont wanna have a family and have a job and things like that? And what parent lets him?

But again, it's his life and he can live it how he wants. It's just, taboo. (I think it was on that show to be honest :) lol)