PDA

View Full Version : Liquid water discovered on Mars

Livewire
August 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14408928

On the heels of the discovery of Oxygen molecules in space, NASA has confirmed the existence of a flowing 'river' composed of a mud like substance, and salty water.

"The best explanation we have for these observations so far is flow of briny water, although this study does not prove that," said planetary geologist and lead author Professor Alfred McEwen of the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, University of Arizona.
Saltiness lowers the temperature at which water freezes, and water about as salty as Earth's oceans could exist at these sites in summer.
"This could be the first flowing water," said Professor McEwen. This has profound implications in the search for extraterrestrial life.
"Liquid water is absolutely essential for life, and we've found life on Earth in pretty much every moist niche," said Dr Lewis Dartnell, astrobiologist at University College London, who was not involved in the study.
"So perhaps there could be hardy microbes surviving in these short periods of summer meltwater on the desert surface of Mars."
This was echoed by an expert on life in extreme environments, Professor Shiladitya DasSarma of the University of Maryland, also not involved in this study: "Their results are consistent with the presence of large and extensive underground salty lakes on Mars."
"This is an exciting possibility for those of us studying salt-loving (halophilic) micro-organisms here on Earth, since it opens the possibility that these kinds of hearty bugs may also inhabit our neighbouring planet," he said.

Thoughts?

pokecole
August 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I always find these discoveries interesting. Water on Mars is amazing, especially flowing water, which can very well support life. (We've seen so on earth obviously) It just shows us that extraterrestrial life may not be so far away.

インフェルノの津波
August 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I hope for their sake that extraterrestrial life exists on Mars, it would definitely suck if it didn't.

U.Flame
August 4th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I knew it! Also, my opinion on extraterrestrial life is they may or may not even need water. People think Earth is the perfect place for life, but what if that's only us? What if there's a faraway planet with life that is -100000 degrees Celsius and they think their planet is the ideal condition for life.

Proto
August 4th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Oooh cool, how'd I miss this? O.o;

It's just one step closer to more people accepting that the idea of humans being the only life in the universe is absolutely ridiculous.

*research more*

Spinor
August 5th, 2011, 12:31 AM
What if there's a faraway planet with life that is -100000 degrees Celsius and they think their planet is the ideal condition for life.

You fail, good sir. Absolute Zero is at -273.13•C >____>

Well, it is exciting to see the possibilities of life on Mars increase. But there really can't be much surprise if it becomes a definite fact. We will now know that aliens exist.

But I'm more for the theory that humanity is the first intelligent life form in the universe. We'll be finding plenty of planets with microbial organisms.

JinRazielGames
August 5th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I don't really believe E.T.s but this made me believe it(kinda)
But the Roswell Crash is a stupid fake. My evidence.
So--you Deans keep researching.

Blue Nocturne
August 5th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Don't drink the water, don't even touch it. Not one drop.

Good news, everyone! I doubt there is complex, intelligent life on mars, I'd have thought we would have found something more by now, since we're pretty obsessed with the planet. Other planets? The size of the universe makes it incredibly likely, finding water certainly makes it seem more likely that it could be found on other planets as well, though I'd wager if there is intelligent life they'd be a great deal more developed that us.

jcsimpson
August 5th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I wonder if the water on Mars is any good ?

Mr. X
August 5th, 2011, 09:59 AM
You fail, good sir. Absolute Zero is at -273.13•C >____>

Well, it is exciting to see the possibilities of life on Mars increase. But there really can't be much surprise if it becomes a definite fact. We will now know that aliens exist.

But I'm more for the theory that humanity is the first intelligent life form in the universe. We'll be finding plenty of planets with microbial organisms.

Not really. Its proven that organisms can adapt to a wide varity of diffrent habitats. With as many planets there are in the universe, its all possiable that there are organisms that can survive in that habitat.

And it's doubtable if we are. With all the planets in the universe, we most likely weren't. That said, lifeforms developed/evolved at diffrent rates. So, knowing that, its possiable that there are species on other planets that have evolved quicker then we have.

I wonder if the water on Mars is any good ?

Well it wouldn't be contaminated with all sorts of drugs, both intentionally added and nonfilterable.

I'd buy a bottle of it first chance I got. Even if it was 10K a bottle.

Cassino
August 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
"The best explanation we have for these observations so far is flow of briny water, although this study does not prove that."
Everyone here seems so amazed as to eagerly ignore that.

I'm more interested in the prospect of human colonisation of Mars than life already being there. Since this (what is believed to be) water must be away from the poles of the planet, it could make living there an easier feat for us.

G.U.Y.
August 5th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Well it wouldn't be contaminated with all sorts of drugs, both intentionally added and nonfilterable.

I'd buy a bottle of it first chance I got. Even if it was 10K a bottle.
Assuming that it is water, the only way it would exist on the surface is if it was incredible viscous, mixed with many many minerals (one needing to be salt). We wouldn't even be able to drink it.

Pyrax
August 5th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Well, this certainly interesting :p
Probably more interesting than this theory. (http://www.voanews.com/english/news/science-technology/Scientists-Think-Earth-Once-Had-Two-Moons---126841858.html)

But the Roswell Crash is a stupid fake. My evidence.

That's your entire evidence?