PDA

View Full Version : That guy said black. GET HIM!

Hybrid Trainer
August 6th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Do you think that some people use their race as an excuse or to justify causing trouble or targeting those who they dislike?

Mew~
August 6th, 2011, 05:23 AM
It's the other way round if you ask me, like when cops used to beat up black people because they were black.../and other bad stuff before that you could go into like lynching...

Melody
August 6th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I have seen some people do so, but that doesn't necessarily mean they all do it.

But this is true, people who are looking for trouble, or looking for a fight tend to do this. Yes, it's wrong and yes it's annoying to anyone...but anytime anyone hears someone cry "Racism" they MUST endure it, because legal systems DO tend to favor them now. Nobody likes being accused of being a racist, so this does readily "take the wind from their sails", making them tiptoe around like a ballerina in a way.

Bluerang1
August 6th, 2011, 05:42 AM
ffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuu what did you say?! >=X

Yes, yes some of us do ^^ Sometimes it's based on the circumstances of the other person's actions and what happened in the past :)

Alinthea
August 6th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Yes, they do. I bloody hate people that do this.
Many times I have answered someone back and started an argument with them and their golden response?
"You picking on me because I am black? Racist."

Christ, it just annoys me and it is mainly teens to mid/late 20s that do it. I just ignore them mainly.

waitstobecalledaracist

twocows
August 6th, 2011, 07:36 AM
But "black" is accurate. And I'm "white." If I tried to use some PC term like "African American," I could be insulting someone who is not of African descent (or potentially not even an American).

Åzurε
August 6th, 2011, 07:41 AM
you racist

Some people do that, yes. It aggravates me to no end when it happens.
"No, it's not because you're black, it's because you think it's because you're black!"

We're having an issue in Texas about this right now. John Wiley Price, the Dallas County Commissioner is under FBI investigation for "...tax evasion, bribery, money laundering, fraud and more". He maintains that the FBI is investigating him because he's black.

:|

-ty-
August 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I remember on the Gay Adoption thread that I stated that interracial adoption has, and in some areas, continues to be frowned upon because it is not a normative family composition, because most of the time we see parents with children of the same or similar skin tone. Then I went on to say that although the majority of families may not be interracial, it does not mean opponents of interracial adoption have the right to deny a child from a great home; race does not determine the affection that a parent can give a child.

Someone replied that they were very very offended that i said that interracial adoptions are not normative to our culture. After that whole spiel about how interracial adoptions should not be inhibited by discriminatory beliefs, you are gonna act like I insulted you because I stated that the majority of parents are of the same ethnicity as their children!?!?

LOL, That is just one of many examples. But if there is real intent to cut someone down purely based off race, sex, appearance, or whatever else, then by all means, you should be able to claim discrimination.

Kylie-chan
August 6th, 2011, 08:32 PM
The concept of a 'race card' is often used by those who are racist in order to perpetuate more prejudice against minorities (dirty minorities, pulling out the race card and relying on their skin colour to get by in society!), or even devalue legitimate complaints of racism. I do think people are too easily offended by mere references to race etc. nowadays, without considering the context, and that goes for everyone. I also concede that sometimes people pull out the so-called race card, which not only demeans them but victims of discrimination, because people are less inclined to take their complaints seriously.

But people will always use whatever they can find to get out of accusations, etc. -- it's not limited to things like race, age, sexual orientation, etc. If they can accuse the accuser of bias and prejudice, then it puts them in a better position. Absolutely anyone can find something to use as verbal ammunition.

In summary: I do loathe the practice, but it's unfair to single out, for example, black people. And note that I know nobody has used the phrase 'race card'; it's just a common idiom.

Bluerang1
August 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I remember on the Gay Adoption thread that I stated that interracial adoption has, and in some areas, continues to be frowned upon because it is not a normative family composition, because most of the time we see parents with children of the same or similar skin tone. Then I went on to say that although the majority of families may not be interracial, it does not mean opponents of interracial adoption have the right to deny a child from a great home; race does not determine the affection that a parent can give a child.

Someone replied that they were very very offended that i said that interracial adoptions are not normative to our culture. After that whole spiel about how interracial adoptions should not be inhibited by discriminatory beliefs, you are gonna act like I insulted you because I stated that the majority of parents are of the same ethnicity as their children!?!?

LOL, That is just one of many examples. But if there is real intent to cut someone down purely based off race, sex, appearance, or whatever else, then by all means, you should pullout every card you got because no one has the right to discriminate.

Me! Wait but that doesn't really make sense with this thread ;/ And I'm doing it again, it's not just black people guys :P But I guess the majority/what you see on TV. I do really think some people are discrimination, sub-consciously so that's why others get easily offended. I've only been in real life situations when it's used as a joke between friends, or maybe there was a real one...

Zet
August 7th, 2011, 05:31 PM
But "black" is accurate. And I'm "white." If I tried to use some PC term like "African American," I could be insulting someone who is not of African descent (or potentially not even an American).

I never understood why some people use the term "African American", you don't see people calling white Americans "English Americans".

But I do honestly dislike when people use that as an excuse to beat someone up.

Xyrin
August 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I have girls at my school who do this. >_> It's insanely annoying. I try to say something and they say "You're just saying that because you're racist and because we're black! RACIST"

2Cool4Mewtwo
August 7th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Some kids in my school do this, but it's usually tongue in cheek.

DarkAlucard
August 8th, 2011, 01:50 AM
The racial problem in Mexico is not as extreme as in other parts of the world, as we ourselves are a mixture of races.

Sodom
August 14th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I think people do this a lot, and it does annoy me. But then again, I sort of can't blame them. If you're in a minority that gets picked on, then using that as a weapon so you at least get something good from it actually makes a lot of sense to me.

Though it does annoy me in a smaller, day-to-day life context. For instance, once I was talking to this girl and she got worked up about something, and then later blamed her short fuse on her South American heritage. It made me roll my eyes so hard. No, you're short-tempered because you have a short temper, not because you're South American.

Draglems1
August 14th, 2011, 02:19 AM
It all depends, really. but yes, I agree.

Yoshikkko
August 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I've seen a lot of people do this, and it annoys me to no limit. I hate it when people do that, it is extremely hypocritical. The thing is, when they say something you do, which is completely normal otherwise, is 'racist' towards them, they oversee the fact that it is them who are establishing a racist status for that particular thing you did. The fact that they perceived it as racism, means that they already link it back to themselves in a negative manner, which is the same as racism. The people who do this, are honestly bringing it upon themselves, by acting this way. You can't reason with these kind of people and the best is just to ignore it, but it annoys me to the max.

Moogles
August 16th, 2011, 11:31 PM
SOCIAL JUSTICE AHOYYYYY.

No. Honestly, the race card isn't thrown around as much as white people tend to think it is. It's all a matter of perspective really, and that's something that many people aren't able to see. Privilege is the word that I'm looking at here today. Here's the thing, when you're white/male/cisgendered/heterosexual/able-bodied[...] you really don't manage to see it from the other perspective. Your quality of life is better. Why? You were born that way. You aren't going to get discriminated against in the society that we live in. So yes, in that sense people like that are privileged. They automatically don't get to be discriminated against.

Now this obviously doesn't make their viewpoint invalid. No, it just means that they need to consider the fact that, well, they really haven't been discriminated against. So who are they really to tell a POC or someone of the LGBTQ what is offensive or not? Not unless they can consider every perspective. I do understand that probably one of the worst fears for anybody is to be called a homophobe or a racist. But you should probably consider what sort of words you're offending people with.

Let's throw down a situation for you all. It's one that I had recently read about actually.

A black lady was in a lineup for a roller coaster. She wanted to accompany her small child on this roller coaster. However, it was against the safety regulations for the ride so the attendant told her not to. She complied with his wishes. However, a white man had managed to sneak onto the ride with his son. Obviously offended, she tells the attendant that it's unacceptable and that it must be because she's black. Now the attendant didn't actually know, but made sure that the man had gotten off the ride, per the safety regulations.

Now a lot of people managed to complain about this. Why? They figured that she didn't have any authority or right to complain that it was about her race. Why I agree, perhaps pulling out the so called 'race card' may have been a bit hasty, it's completely acceptable for her to do so. The fact is that she's had to actually face discrimination within her day to day life. The man who attempted to get on the ride was white, she had total right to assume it was because of her race. Obviously she was wrong, but when you're put in a position where you've been continually discriminated against, who is anybody to say what she can or can't do? This is what I mean, you need to try and see it from this lady's perspective.

As for teenagers using it, as someone commented it's usually tongue and cheek. Something that everybody needs to consider is what can and will offend people who are minorities. Whether they be a POC or a member of the LGBTQ or whathaveyou.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
August 24th, 2011, 04:52 AM
In this day and age, any time racism is brought up there is somewhere around a 70 or 80 percent chance that there is no racism to be found.

As a matter of fact, improperly calling racism is done so often these days that I am not above satirically, deliberately doing it myself, albeit in an overly obvious manner.

twocows
August 24th, 2011, 08:34 AM
SOCIAL JUSTICE AHOYYYYY.

No. Honestly, the race card isn't thrown around as much as white people tend to think it is. It's all a matter of perspective really, and that's something that many people aren't able to see. Privilege is the word that I'm looking at here today. Here's the thing, when you're white/male/cisgendered/heterosexual/able-bodied[...] you really don't manage to see it from the other perspective. Your quality of life is better. Why? You were born that way. You aren't going to get discriminated against in the society that we live in. So yes, in that sense people like that are privileged. They automatically don't get to be discriminated against.

Now this obviously doesn't make their viewpoint invalid. No, it just means that they need to consider the fact that, well, they really haven't been discriminated against. So who are they really to tell a POC or someone of the LGBTQ what is offensive or not? Not unless they can consider every perspective. I do understand that probably one of the worst fears for anybody is to be called a homophobe or a racist. But you should probably consider what sort of words you're offending people with.

Let's throw down a situation for you all. It's one that I had recently read about actually.

A black lady was in a lineup for a roller coaster. She wanted to accompany her small child on this roller coaster. However, it was against the safety regulations for the ride so the attendant told her not to. She complied with his wishes. However, a white man had managed to sneak onto the ride with his son. Obviously offended, she tells the attendant that it's unacceptable and that it must be because she's black. Now the attendant didn't actually know, but made sure that the man had gotten off the ride, per the safety regulations.

Now a lot of people managed to complain about this. Why? They figured that she didn't have any authority or right to complain that it was about her race. Why I agree, perhaps pulling out the so called 'race card' may have been a bit hasty, it's completely acceptable for her to do so. The fact is that she's had to actually face discrimination within her day to day life. The man who attempted to get on the ride was white, she had total right to assume it was because of her race. Obviously she was wrong, but when you're put in a position where you've been continually discriminated against, who is anybody to say what she can or can't do? This is what I mean, you need to try and see it from this lady's perspective.

As for teenagers using it, as someone commented it's usually tongue and cheek. Something that everybody needs to consider is what can and will offend people who are minorities. Whether they be a POC or a member of the LGBTQ or whathaveyou.
I completely disagree with pretty much everything you said. This is people blatantly using their race as a blunt object with which to whack everyone with. It should be stopped. Two wrongs do not make a right, and just because some other person may have been a jerk about someone's background doesn't mean that the victim of that should be able to go around calling everyone a racist/sexist/homophobe/whatever for whatever perceived slight they experience. In your example, people should not automatically assume that any perceived slight is due to race. In fact, that should be the last thing they assume. Racism is no longer the norm and people need to stop using it as the go-to thing. If it had been all white people in your example, how would the accusation have been different? The fact is that if anyone was being racist in that situation, it was the black woman. She immediately assumed that because of the situation, the guy was discriminating based on color, merely because of his skin color. What if the attendant had been black? Would she have claimed racism then? She acted differently because he was white.

My opinion is that people just need to calm down and stop throwing that word around. Most people in today's society don't really justify their actions on the basis of someone's skin color.

Also, I believe the term you were looking for was "tongue-in-cheek."

Freedom Fighter N
August 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
To be honest, these are the kind of people that are looking for trouble. So trouble they'll get. I don't mind trouble, because I'm never the one to purposely get in it. People like that should stop living two generations ago (I think it was around there, right?) and realize they have equal rights.

Besides, someone smart never really says a thing like that. So yeah, in short: people like that look for trouble, and if they really insist give them a punch or two. (Anti-violence pure souls: they're most likely the ones to initiate it, and even if they did not there's a good chance they're the cause of it.)

minajeh
August 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM
it isn't thrown around as much as some people seem to make it.

like how some white people being such *****es about black people using the n word, like get over it.