PDA

View Full Version : Post comments

Mariah Carey
August 6th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Ever since the fall of reputation, PC has had to use 'post comments' to give an opinion about someones post. But do you actually bother to use them? Or are they just a background feature that you notice every once in a blue moon, or fail to notice at all?

Patchisou Yutohru
August 6th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I think that they're one of those features that need to be removed. I don't see any purpose in them, but sometimes I do make some fun out of them. If I really need to say something to someone about their post, I'll say it to their face.

Hybrid Trainer
August 6th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I think there a good idea, it stops people going off topic in a thread and it saves the time of having to go out of your way to VM/PM them.
the only thing i don't like about it is that they are anonymous to everyone but staff. It kinds leaves an open window for mischief and being rude.

Avey
August 6th, 2011, 06:18 PM
i want them GONE. a lot of the post comments ive received are from PUNKS who wouldn't have the guts to say it to me in front of my e-face (i know who it is 99.9% of the time). i think the entire idea of them is stupid. if you're impressed with someone's awesome posting (example; me), leave a vm and say you think he's cool. if bad posting is annoying you, tell them they're a bad poster TO THEIR FACE!

backbone, people.

Anders
August 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I'd like it more if it left their name behind.

The feature as a whole, idk, I think something like reputation would be better. I'd like it to be more than just a comment only I can see that really means nothing. Green boxes mean everything.... :nervous:

Also where do I find these comments?

Vrai
August 6th, 2011, 06:24 PM
the only thing i don't like about it is that they are anonymous to everyone but staff. It kinds leaves an open window for mischief and being rude.

That's really the only issue. Allowing things like comments to remain anonymous is more than likely only going to lead to flaming and just people being rude in general and I wouldn't mind it being gone at all.

To actually answer the questions, I only use it when I'm a) talking to someone I don't know so I feel uncomfortable leaving a VM or b) referencing a specific post only so I use the comments on that (I also leave my name in case they have something to say back which no one ever does ;;). Regardless, I've only left five in the last three months or so, so I'd say I hardly use it.

Mariah Carey
August 6th, 2011, 06:26 PM
it stops people going off topic in a thread

how do post comments stop people going off topic in a thread
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KI9gcT8Agi4/TNgc_4y5hxI/AAAAAAAAAoQ/gHqbv4hGAIs/s1600/show+me+the+receipts.gif

Captain Hobo.
August 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I don't do it to anyone else, but I have had a few saying I am funny, but others saying I am a idiot:(

Oryx
August 6th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Tbh, I use post comments because sometimes I think a post is really good or I think a poster is a really good poster but I feel embarrassed telling them, especially if we haven't really talked. Or I feel like they might be embarrassed by it, or the conversation is going to go super awkwardly. So I leave them an anonymous post comment. More than once I've started a post comment, seen the user was staff and realized they could see my name, and felt really awkward sending it and decided not to.

But if they take away the anonymity then you might as well VM. I post comment when I have a specific reason to want to be anonymous, otherwise I would just VM them. Although I understand that a lot of people don't use them like I do so it's really open to people abusing it.

Anders
August 6th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Also btw Rekky, I just recently sent you a post comment!

I don't do it to anyone else, but I have had a few saying I am funny, but others saying I am a idiot:(

Don't worry about it dude, anybody who's calling an 11 year old an idiot on a pokemon forum is most likely a really sad fellow.

Avey
August 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
it stops people going off topic in a thread and it saves the time of having to go out of your way to VM/PM them.

lol indeed hybrid trainer. lol... indeed.

*poster reads through thread*

*sees completely awesome post by someone he's never talked to before named 'rikky'*

*completely disregards rest of thread, makes post telling rekky, sorry, 'rikky', how awesome he is*

and how much of that situation seems plausible to you? certainly the Rikky kid being awesome but not the other poster's actions. there's no member on of who's five years old, they're not going to post blatantly off topic and even them the stretch would be 'i agree with what 'rikky' said' and it's not like that sort of thing isn't done to death in cq&f by members of your supposed caliber, hybrid trainer already, right? oh wait...

as for your other point, lol @ being too lazy to potentially strike up a new friendship.

Kenshin5
August 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Seems like a poor mans rep system(without the rep of course). It's somewhat useful in complimenting somebody post or saying thanks for the help especially in Quick Questions since thank you posts are not allowed. Personally I'd prefer to complement them in vm or pm.

@Anders
When I look I just go to User Control Panel and it is displayed under Post Comments Received.

Anders
August 6th, 2011, 06:39 PM
When I look I just go to User Control Panel and it is displayed under Post Comments Received.

Ah, yeah that's where it is, unfortunately it only shows comments I've given out. Please send me post comments guys, I'd love to read them! ;-; I really do care.. so, so much..

Sodom
August 6th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I like post comments, but I wish they weren't anonymous. That way you could reply to what someone is saying without going off-topic and they'd still know who was replying.

Gold warehouse
August 6th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I use them a lot when I want to say something but can't be bothered to post, it's always obvious it's me otherwise I leave my username there.

how do post comments stop people going off topic in a thread
I just left a post comment for Rekky because I didn't want to start a discussion in the middle of the thread. I could leave a VM but that means one extra click!

Anders
August 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I just left a post comment for Rekky because I didn't want to start a discussion in the middle of the thread. I could leave a VM but that means one extra click!

Idk, one click to get to the comment space and write it out, and one click to send it. Then one click to get to a profile, and one click to send the message. It's pretty much the same except the person might feel like they're in a better position to badmouth somebody!

Oryx
August 6th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Idk, one click to get to the comment space and write it out, and one click to send it. Then one click to get to a profile, and one click to send the message. It's pretty much the same except the person might feel like they're in a better position to badmouth somebody!

More like, post comment is 3 clicks: 1. Open post comment box. 2. Send comment. 3. Hit OK on dialog box thanking you for commenting.

VMs are 4 or 5: 1. Click to open menu in thread for user. 2. Click to view profile. 3. Click to send message. 4-5. Get back to where you were.

So it is one click more, and the post comment is something you can do right there. Most of the people that comment me are just saying something in passing, like I got one saying "Good point" in a debate thread today, and another one a few days ago correcting me on a technicality in a post. Not worth a whole VM for, lol.

Anders
August 6th, 2011, 07:42 PM
More like, post comment is 3 clicks: 1. Open post comment box. 2. Send comment. 3. Hit OK on dialog box thanking you for commenting.

VMs are 4 or 5: 1. Click to open menu in thread for user. 2. Click to view profile. 3. Click to send message. 4-5. Get back to where you were.

So it is one click more, and the post comment is something you can do right there. Most of the people that comment me are just saying something in passing, like I got one saying "Good point" in a debate thread today, and another one a few days ago correcting me on a technicality in a post. Not worth a whole VM for, lol.

I was gonna argue how it's shorter than you said, but lol post clicks111! But I mean "more like" I guess you're right lmao.

But if you think sending vm's with messages isn't worth it that's cool. I'd basically send a vm telling somebody I thought they had a good point, that's not something I deem "NOT WORTH VMING" lol. I mean that's good for you, if you need the distinction between sending a comment and vming, okay then. They're basically the same things but you said you might find it awkward so I guess the post comment system was made for people who have a hard time talking to others. And that's cool, we aren't all socially outgoing (lol, I'm sorry, just pointing out that this isn't the case for me.. I don't see how it could be awkward at all to send a message to somebody online, for myself)

Oryx
August 6th, 2011, 07:56 PM
But if you think sending vm's with messages isn't worth it that's cool. I'd basically send a vm telling somebody I thought they had a good point, that's not something I deem "NOT WORTH VMING" lol. I mean that's good for you, if you need the distinction between sending a comment and vming, okay then. They're basically the same things but you said you might find it awkward so I guess the post comment system was made for people who have a hard time talking to others. And that's cool, we aren't all socially outgoing (lol, I'm sorry, just pointing out that this isn't the case for me.. I don't see how it could be awkward at all to send a message to somebody online, for myself)

It's not a "vm with a message", you're oversimplifying. If all I want to say to someone is "good point", why bother leaving the page to VM it to them when the post comment system is right there and integrated right into the page? It's only one more click to go to the profile, but loading another page takes a bit of time for me and if I don't have much to say or don't need/want a reply, there's just nooo point.

I wouldn't use it as much if it wasn't anonymous but I would still use it because it's just convenient. And the icon for it on Top Dog is adorable

Cassino
August 7th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I use post comments (and always sign them — you'll know if you get one from me) to say small things that aren't worth posting nor PMing. This might be because I don't use the VM system at all, but post commenting works for me.

Azure Rathalδs
August 7th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I don't find post comments useful at all. If I want to say a post I good, I usually VM or PM the poster or even tweet the post on Twitter.

Overlord Drakow
August 7th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Oh wow. I didn't even know such a concept existed until now. How do I leave post comments?

I have received three of these post comments in the past but I don't know who they are from. I can take educated guesses though.

Reputation system could be quite interesting. It's used on Duelist Groundz without too many issues. If it can run OK on an elitist forum like Duelist Groundz, it should be fine for Pokecommunity.

Kyoko
August 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I JUST recently found out these existed and I was so confused when I saw mine haha :x I actually like them, I guess I'm in the minority here. It's nice to see when people enjoy your posts. I haven't given any yet, but I'd like to :D

Alinthea
August 7th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I use them, but most of them are hardly constructive.

Jorah
August 7th, 2011, 09:47 AM

Yeah, I've had some childish insults in them (eg "screw you!!!"), I don't think it was enough to tell staff about it, but it irritates me that it's allowed :S

2Cool4Mewtwo
August 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I didn't even know "comments" existed. I'd say it's pointless, since we already have VM and stuff.

Kevin
August 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
It's more of a background feature for me. I use it every so often, but meh.
I don't get that much post comments either.

Naruto Uzumaki
August 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Hardly ever use them, but I don't see why they're still around. Much of the comments are childish and don't really have purpose.

Tyrantrum
August 8th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Edit the feature and make it show their name, that way if it's a rude comment, I can punch them where it hurts. (their profile, duh)

Pokemon Trainer Touko
August 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM
... Where is the post comment button? o.o And how do you receive comments? :O
(No I've never used it before :v)

Anders
August 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Hahaha, yeah post comments are definitely a joke to me. I just got one for my 'do you get in fights' thread that says 'and even after they apologize you still fight. ;3' which is pretty 'funny' for many reasons, one of which is apparent just from them making a comment. I guess it's plenty obvious why there isn't a reputation system.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 9th, 2011, 04:42 AM
I just found out today that these exist (thanks to this thread) so I wouldn't know how they work and from the sounds of it, I dont think I would ever use this feature

:t354:TG

Mr Cat Dog
August 9th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I used to not use them at all; now I just use them very infrequently. Unless it's obvious that it's me posting a comment, I'll put my name at the end of them so that people aren't confuzzled. If they were abolished, I probably wouldn't care that much.