PDA

View Full Version : Emoticons

Aphrodite
August 6th, 2011, 06:54 PM
:3 :/ ;-; :) XD
After using all of these emoticons successively in a row, I felt like a little part of me had died inside. The only time I ever use XD is for ironical purposes and it physically hurt to use it otherwise. But what about you? Do you use emoticons? If so, how often? Do you use them because you're lazy or as a reflection of your personality?

Oryx
August 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Why would using emoticons be lazy?

I use them because online it's hard to read a tone. If I say something that's teasing as a joke without emoticons, it could very easily be taken as rude or serious, but if I add :P or XD, it's much less likely to be. If you're just chatting with me over something like irc or Skype and constantly speak with capitalization, punctuation, and lack of emoticons, I get really uncomfortable because the tone you give off is very formal and not so friendly, or only friendly in an "I'm being polite" sort of way. When I get serious I generally stop using emoticons completely.

One of the problems though is that you get so used to the emoticons of the people you normally run with and what they mean that sometimes it doesn't transfer well to other groups. I've seen people tell me that to them XD is just smiling and not laughing, and the :/ is always sarcastic or rude when I just see it as a general feel-bad smiley. That can cause misunderstandings that lead to unnecessary fights at times, because the tone of what you said isn't what you meant so you sound like a jerk or whatever.

Captain Hobo.
August 6th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I was about to make a thread about this:P

Well, I use smiles a lot because I like them.

I use :P, :), :D, ;), >:) and XD.

Anders
August 6th, 2011, 07:18 PM
:3 :/ ;-; :) XD
After using all of these emoticons successively in a row, I felt like a little part of me had died inside. The only time I ever use XD is for ironical purposes and it physically hurt to use it otherwise. But what about you? Do you use emoticons? If so, how often? Do you use them because you're lazy or as a reflection of your personality?

I only use emoticons when they're popular on the site I'm on or if I want to seem like I'm calmer than I really might be.

Kaori
August 6th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I've always used emoticons so if I'm in a conversation with someone I know pretty well (or well enough anyway) and I don't really use any kind of smilie, they would think something was wrong. :( Emoticons just allow me to express what I'm saying in a better view too. For instance you might take "Omg you're such a noob..." differently from "Omg you're such a noob... :P", which is basically as Toujours said. So I tend to use emoticons a lot for that purpose and also because they're funnn.

I guess in a way they do give off my personality well since I'm one to always smile and laugh at many things irl, so that shows well online here too. :)

Anders
August 6th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I only use emoticons when they're popular on the site I'm on or if I want to seem like I'm calmer than I really might be.

Well, I'm really always calm. I'm just projecting why I think others use them in a way that doesn't offend, because I wouldn't want to offend anybody!

Cherrim
August 6th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I never use graphical ones, but I still use text-based smileys all the time. I used to do all the anime ones (^___^) but I can't stand most of them now and stick to the boring :) or :( types. The only others I use with any amount of frequency are xD and 8D.

I've been doing my best to not use them as much on the internet but I often can't help it. Their frequency has definitely diminished (especially with twitter and having to cut out extra characters to hit 140), but not all the way... and that's almost fine with me because it helps personality come out in my posts, I suppose.

PlatinumDude
August 6th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I very rarely use emoticons. I ouse :D, D: and xD whenever I feel like it.

Ayselipera
August 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I usually only use :) :( and ;o;. Anything else gets really annoying after a while. Even just constant use of any of those three can become an annoyance. Depending on who I'm talking to I may just send an emoticon because I either can't think of anything else to say or for persuasive reasons!

mondays suck
August 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I rarely use text-based emoticons, simply because I have difficulties understanding their meanings, aside from the most basic and boring ones.
Instead, I like to import Smileys from elsewhere and get annoyed at google every time because its first suggestions keep being huge images no sane person would ever actually use as a smiley in a text under most circumstances. Of course the standard size setting "Any Size" means what it says, but in this case it functions just in such an unreasonable way...

Kevin
August 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I don't like using emoticons. They look... eh.
But sometimes in my posts I use text-smilies...

Mazen
August 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I do use them quite often, but only text emoticons such as xD, ;), or D:

Exile
August 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Emoticons are p cool! I disable the default vBulletin ones, but I do like to use them in text. A few of the ones I use are: ^o^, :'), 8(, B), :o, ;), xD, ^__^, n__n and of course, the grand daddy of them all: x).

Venusaur♣
August 8th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I use them every now and then. However, I don't use them whenever I'm trying to make a point or such because I feel like it ruins the 'atmosphere' of the post.

Sammi
August 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I use text ones at least once a post. I should probably stop doing that. -_-; But it's habit at this point!

The ones I use are mainly :), :(, :p, :D, D:, ;_;, -_-;, ._.;, :/, ect... yeah I can use a lot of them if I feel like it.

Esper
August 8th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I started using them to get across that I was not always being so serious. I noticed that they seem to make a big change in how what I write is perceived and the kinds of responses I get seem a lot friendlier... but maybe that's just because they used emoticons, too. I dunno. Now they're sort of a habit for me when I'm on PC.

Avey
August 8th, 2011, 01:38 PM
i don't use them ever i think it reflects badly on what i write
if you need to SHOW everyone your emotions you ain't doing something right!
but instead of using happy sad laughing emoticons
i wouldn't mind using tiny pics of pokemon!!!

Anna
August 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I use text-smilies only, never images. I notice that I have a tendency to use them more often when I'm hyper or in the IRC/in a chat since at those times I'm usually not explaining myself well at all and therefore feel clarification on my tone is necessary. Otherwise I use smilies as accents to what I'm saying, but quite a bit less.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
August 8th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I love emoticons!~ I use them all the time~ (text emoticons only tho, 'cause graphic ones can be kinda ugly lol. XD) :D My favorite ones are: :D :> :3 >u< >.< ^_^ n_n :P XD xD :< D: D:< ):< :) ;D ;3 ;w; ;o; ;~; ^~^ <3 8D |D >n< >w< >///< ^u^ owo o3o *w* -w- ._. -_- *.* ^.^ >.> >__>

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 9th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I use them sometimes. Rarely would I use the graphic ones. I usually use xD 0_0 -_-" >:) >=(
>=/

you know those a lot more

:t354:TG

Mr Cat Dog
August 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
:D and maybe o.o are the ones I'll stretch to. I used to use a lot more (like the dreaded XD and o_O), but I guess I've grown out of them, for whatever reason. Before you know it, I'll be calling everyone whippersnappers and telling people to get off my non-existent lawn.

Azure Rathalδs
August 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I use emoticons very rarely. The only time i use them is to make a post less serious or to make it basically a joke.