PDA

View Full Version : TOMAYTO TOMAHTO

Harley Quinn
August 7th, 2011, 10:54 PM
The word that divides civilization: tomato. Simple question, how do you pronounce it?

Alice
August 7th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Well, they're both wrong. It's obviously pronounced tuhmayter.

(But really, tomayto.)

Oryx
August 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Tbh I have NEVER met anyone that says tomahto.

zappyspiker
August 8th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Heh I say ToMAHto, probably cause I'm from New Zealand xD

Patatas Fritas
August 8th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I say toMAHto because thats how someone from the UK says it, and I'm from the UK and speak British English after all~

PlatinumDude
August 8th, 2011, 01:35 AM
To-may-to, because I grew up in the US, and that was how (almost) everyone there said it.

Mazen
August 8th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Tomayto. My dad and sister say tomahto --we constantly fight over it. >.>

Hybrid Trainer
August 8th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I say it tomahto because thats how pretty much everyone who was brought up in britain says it.

Bluerang1
August 8th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Tomahto. Potayto. Which is the British pronunciation?

Kevin
August 8th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I pronounce tomato as ta-may-to.

shenanigans
August 8th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Tomahto. That's pretty much what everyone does in the UK.

Owl
August 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM
ToMAYto. That's how everyone says it here. Or tries to say in the case of my family who has some lingering accents.

Myles
August 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM
As an Australian I pronounce it to-mah-to.

donavannj
August 8th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I say it "tomayto" and I always have. I also say "potayto" in the same manner.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
August 9th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Most of my friends pronounce it as Toe-mah-toe but I pronounce it as Toe-may-toe because it sounds better imo. o3o

~Ryukaa
August 9th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I say tomahto, since I'm Australian, and Australia branches off Britain. So yeah.
When I was younger, I used to be pretty confused about how to pronounce it, though. xDD;;

...Saying Potahto is pretty fun. o3o

U.Flame
August 9th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I'm in the U.S. so I never met anyone who pronounces it tomahto or potahto. The only time I ever hear it is when I say it myself to hear what it sounds like,

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 9th, 2011, 04:45 AM
To-may-to, because I grew up in the US, and that was how (almost) everyone there said it.

I second to this, my sometimes when I want to be a jerk I say it the other way lol

:t354:TG

Mr Cat Dog
August 9th, 2011, 11:39 AM
ToMAHto. Again, the British thing.

Although the British pronunciation, I believe, is still PoTAYto Anyone who says it otherwise in the UK is a pretentious hipster.

Esper
August 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM
It seems so strange to me that anyone would say toMAHto yet also say poTAYto, but I guess that's because I'm American and I say toMAYto.

Now who spells the plural tomatos and who spells it tomatoes?

King Goodra
August 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I pronounce tomato like sort of a hybrid between may and mah with a twist. I pronounce it tah-mahy-to; I would say I pronounce it tah-mah-to, but there is a very short y sound at the before to, and it took me a while to figure out what exactly I was saying, given how I say to in the beginning of it. I don't even know why I pronounce it like that because it's so complicated to explain with words how I pronounce it in the first place. I should really fix it...