PDA

View Full Version : Game Over for the Democrats: Harry Reid reveals his 3 "Super Congress" picks

Bela
August 9th, 2011, 05:42 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/09/harry-reid-super-congress-murray-baucus-kerry_n_922761.html

Included among his picks is Max Bauchus, who was largely responsible for killing the public option during the health care debate.

Meanwhile, the Republicans have stated that they will pick some of their most conservative members for the "Super Congress." Only 1 Democrat has to vote with the Republicans to make the committee's proposal pass to the chambers of Congress for up-or-down votes.

How do you feel about this move on Harry Reid's part? Do you feel that this is a sign of surrender by the Democrats before the committee has even been formed? Discuss!

Lance
August 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Reid obviously tried some stupid attempt ay being 'Bipartisan' by putting a more conservative Democrat like Bauchus on the committee. I still like John Kerry. The only person I'd add would be Barney Frank, because he's freaking awesome.

Bela
August 10th, 2011, 10:28 AM
It's true that the Democratic leadership is still under the illusion that the Republicans are going to negotiate in good faith on this issue--and thus make decisions like appointing Max Bauchus to this committee.

It would have been nice to see Al Franken and, why not, Bernie Sanders on this committee. Strong progressives to counter strong conservatives.

I don't think people realize what is at stake here. This is a committee that is going to gut Social Security.

Today the Republican leadership revealed their picks:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/10/mcconnell-boehner-deficit-committee-appointments_n_923312.html

It's all Republicans who signed Grover Norquist's pledge to not raise taxes. With no hope of revenue-raising coming out of this committee, you can bet that severe cuts to social programs like Social Security are on their way.

TRIFORCE89
August 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM
When did bipartisanship and compromise start meaning bending over backwards?

I don't understand the Democrats. They have no spine. I don't know why Obama keeps trying to cater to the people who will not vote for him in ten million years.

Bela
August 12th, 2011, 06:54 PM
NdMbLSBQAdQ

Cenk says there is only possibly 3 votes that will favor Democrats. We're screwed!