View Full Version : Favorite Topics in History

August 13th, 2011, 3:57 PM
Now, I know not everyone enjoys history class. But even so, there usually are a few topics that tend to grab your attention, even if it is a little bit. Maybe you're somebody who enjoys learning about ancient civilizations, the world wars, regional history (european, american, etc), military history, political leaders, etc etc. There are plenty of areas of history people tend to gravitate to :) So the questions are:

What are your favorite topics in history?

What made these stand out to you as opposed to other areas in history?

As for me, I enjoy: the World Wars, the Renaissance, and Ancient Civilizations.

August 13th, 2011, 4:01 PM
I love history, especially ancient civilizations.

Harley Quinn
August 13th, 2011, 4:55 PM
The World Wars
The Renaissance, specifically the Borgias
The Holocaust
Ancient Rome
The Russian Revolution

There's more, but those are the best that sprung up in my mind.

August 13th, 2011, 7:16 PM
I'm not sure why, but I've always had a big interest in World War II and the Holocaust.

August 13th, 2011, 7:52 PM
* The World Wars
* Napoleonic Wars and the Enlightenment
* American Civil War
* Hundred Years War
* Victorian Era
* Renaissance

Wow, there's a lot of wars on there. Guess that quote was right about peace being the curtain between acts.

Gold warehouse
August 14th, 2011, 5:45 AM
Literally anything that's post-1800. I enjoy the industrial revolution and everything that comes after it, probably because it feels closer and more relevant to the modern world. It doesn't matter what country, I enjoy studying all of them. But predictably, I know more about the history of Europe; then a little about America, very little about Asia, Africa and Australia.

Anything between 1600-1800 is hit and miss; I haven't studied much from that time period, but I wouldn't turn down the opportunity. It just doesn't interest me as much as more modern history.

Then anything pre-1600 is at the bottom of the pile. Still interesting! But it just pales in comparison.

August 14th, 2011, 6:05 AM
What are your favorite topics in history?
Holocaust, Civil Rights Movement, hearing about the Nazi's always makes me laugh out loud. :D

What made these stand out to you as opposed to other areas in history?
Bleh, a lot of the topics bore me, but I don't why why those certain things interested me, it's just strange seeing how our world has changed so much I guess- I dunno. xD

August 14th, 2011, 6:08 AM
I hated American history. Boring...

I liked learning about ancient civilizations a whole lot.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 14th, 2011, 1:49 PM
I have never liked History and the fact that I have to take History in College this Fall (American History) is making me cringe a lot. I am not good at History but luckily my college offers free tutors so I will be with the tutor for a long time.

August 14th, 2011, 8:13 PM
I like almost all history, especially when it's about some place that I never learned about in high school. What I find terribly boring is modern history, particularly if it's about war or famous people. So WWII is about the last thing I care to read about. I'd rather study cultural and social aspects in history. Scientific history is also pretty interesting, learning about how cultures developed medicine and animal husbandry and things that don't actually sound interesting but have far reaching consequences for entire regions of the world.

August 14th, 2011, 8:32 PM
I actually really love history, but my favorite period is 20th century history, and everything in it, including the World Wars, Cold War, Great Depression, and much more.

August 15th, 2011, 6:43 AM
I actually don't like any history as a subject, except for really old stuff. So anything from like medieval and the feudal system and whatnot, to ancient civilisations like Greece and Rome (which I'm studying now at University) and definitely the Egyptians and any other really old stuff, particularly mythologies and the hand to hand combat.

August 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Triassic, Jurassic, Paleogene periods — ecology thereof.
As for human history, I would retort that there is no time for us like the present, but I always had an interest in Japan.

August 15th, 2011, 7:03 PM
History was a meh subject to me, but I liked learning about the World Wars.

August 15th, 2011, 9:19 PM
Renaissance, the Maya, and the French Revolution.

Pretty much anything that has nothing to do with America. American history bores me so much.

August 15th, 2011, 9:24 PM
Anything involving the Holocaust.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
August 17th, 2011, 5:35 AM
World war I and II for the win! \o/
History is the hardest subject EVER x_x

Mr Cat Dog
August 17th, 2011, 7:43 AM
The Cold War is my favourite history topic. Such interesting personalities, such a global conflict with such diverse events. Vietnam, Berlin, Afghanistan. And we're still reeling from the effects of the Cold War today, so it's so relevant.

August 18th, 2011, 1:55 AM
Good question. The impact of individuals on their times, the people around them, and the world as a whole is my answer - eg. Alexander the Great, his aura, the respect he commanded and still does, and his influence on Western society.

Captain Hobo.
August 27th, 2011, 5:55 PM
I love history and my favorite things to learn about in it are the World Wars and the Civil War.

August 27th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I like some topics in History, but my favorites would have to be the World Wars and the Renaissance because they're the only history topics, that I've taken an interest in.

August 29th, 2011, 4:49 AM
world wars
the french revolution

There are few more. but these are the topics that I've taken an interest in.

August 29th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I like studying the entirety of history in general, but most particularly the World Wars and the contemporary history that follows it because it has shaped our modern political climate.

August 29th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I'm not sure why, but I love studying early US History...how the Native Americans arrived, the 13 colonies were formed, etc. British history also fascinated me as well.

August 30th, 2011, 9:29 PM
Earlier in life, my favourite topics were the political ones. I liked learning about political conflicts and whatnot and my friends always made fun of me for it since... to be honest, early Canadian politics (from before Canada was even a country) is super boring. xD; When I took history in high school, the only parts that interested me were the World Wars.

I always wanted to take a world history or ancient history but couldn't fit it in my schedule and it has nothing to do with anything I'm studying in university so it would be a useless credit for me. :'( So unfortunately my only exposure to history is Canadian history and wikipedia, whoo.

Jack O'Neill
August 30th, 2011, 9:40 PM
I've always found history in general to be quite fascinating, but World War II and the Cold War are areas of particular interest to me.

August 31st, 2011, 7:53 PM
Tbh I don't have a favorite topic. Almost all history seems interesting. I could do the generic thing and say the World Wars but they have been so overplayed. I'd much rather learn about things I haven't even gotten into. Like this semester I am taking Modern Eastern Civilization. The only times the mention it otherwise is threw Marco Pallo, or when the European powers try and exert their sphere of influence on it and of course the modern history like the last 150 years.

I have interest in the Age of Exploration, Russian Revolution (especially after watching Dr. Zhivago), General Industrial Revolution and the increase in Urban Centers, Age of Colonialism, the American West(I took a class on it during my Senior year it seems interesting compared to the bland US History they teach that goes over the same material).