PDA

View Full Version : Fads and trends

Mr Cat Dog
August 14th, 2011, 07:01 AM
A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed with enthusiasm for some period, generally as a result of the behavior's being perceived as novel in some way. A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase rapidly. The behavior will normally fade quickly once the perception of novelty is gone
How susceptible are you to the overwhelming power of the pop-culture fad? Be it Rebecca Black-bashing, the Numa Numa guy, Jersey Shore (although that one seems to have some legs in it!), most of us will at some point have succumbed to something experiencing its 15 minutes of fame.

Any fads you're not ashamed to admit you liked? For those who can see through media hysteria, are there any that you wished you could have been a part of, for whatever reason?

(Just a reminder that this is about fads in Culture & Media, so just entertainment examples, please!)

Anders
August 14th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I like whatever I like and I'm not going to decide not to like it because it's popular. I love everything that comes on the radio usually, and Jersey Shore is one of my favorite MTV shows. I also like things that aren't popular.

I think things that are popular enough to be called a fad are like that for a reason. They're enjoyable.

Shining Raichu
August 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Bieber-bashing I succumbed to BIG time, but I maintain that that wasn't so much due to the fad as it was to that kid being so unbelievably obnoxious it made me want to tear off my arm and throw it at him.

EDIT: I thought about that post for so long that in the meantime Anders ninja'd me :P and after all that it wasn't until I posted that I actually started thinking of more. So:

As a kid I had a ton of collectable fads that were going around in the pop culture of kids at the time. The most notable and lasting one would be Pokemon Cards, but I was also obsessed with Crazy Bones (these little collectable figurines that in the end were pointless like most collectables). But Pokemon and Dragonball Z in general were the pop-culture fads of my school that I fell into out of peer pressure. And since I still love them both well after the fad loosened its grip, I'm glad I did :)

Jarred0809
August 14th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I was part of the "Pokémon anime sucks now!" fad and still am. It went downhill when Ash went to Hoenn, and just got worse and worse. I imagine it is still watchable in Japan, since most anime aired in America is censored to the point of not even making sense.

Esper
August 14th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I joined the Harry Potter bandwagon when it was really starting to pick up, though I'd known about the books for a while before, but never gave them a second thought because they were "children's" books. I also joined the Doctor Who and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fads. I dunno, is it right to call these fads? I feel like I first got into them because they were popular and not because of anything I thought was good about them until I got into them.

Alli
August 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Totally jumped on the MLP bandwagon. Forced myself into the Pokemon fad back in the day also. And uhh, well look where it got me, haha. Most of the time though, I don't get heavily involved in fads, whether it be entertainment, or even fashion (that's counts as culture right? lol). I'm usually one of the people that steer away from the things everyone else likes, unless it genuinely interests me.

vaporeon7
August 16th, 2011, 01:20 AM
http://images.wikia.com/ed/images/2/23/Its_way_ed_0014.jpg
Sorry, I straight away thought of that episode of Ed, Edd n Eddy.

I was on the MLP fad for a bit, but generally I am heaps behind all of them.
Oh and who doesn't remember those yoyo ball things that got banned in Australia. I also used to play with Bayblades until I put a rip cord in my mouth, pulled, and cut it open. I'm usually the one to steer away from cultural fads though. Nuts to what others think impo.

~Ryukaa
August 16th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I usually steer away from fads. The most recent one I've gotten into is MLP, and I'm still obsessed with it. xD;
When I was in primary school, I joined all the fads, because it was cool, of course.
Except Pokemon. I was still into that when it was considered lame.
I'm usually hesitant about fads these days, so yeah.

Katalyst
August 16th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I'm immune to that crap. I've never, ever got into any kind of fad.

Eliminator Jr.
September 3rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
I haven't really gotten into any fad before. I thought Rebecca Black was terrible but that's because her music is bad, not because everybody else thinks she is bad. I think Rebecca Black is as bad as anything else in the Top 40 at the moment. Twilight I didn't really enjoy when I was dragged into seeing it at the films but I didn't mindlessly bash it like everybody else - some of the scenes were interesting and it had a nice soundtrack. So no fads.

Actually, no wait - rickrolling. I did rickrolling a few times, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

shenanigans
September 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Do you tend to follow trends, both offline and online, or do you prefer to stay completely individual rather than changing to fit in with whatever's popular at the time? Why or why not, in either case?

basically the are you a hipster thread

Alli
September 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Uh oh it looks like I'm a hipster oh snap. I've always been one to avoid popular trends, but I mean, I do that without trying haha. Things just don't appeal to me if it's incredibly common or if it's one of those "everyone's doing it" things. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are a good number of things I like that are overly common/popular, but most of the time I just naturally avert things like that. I've always been the weird one. lol

Oryx
September 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'm terrible at following trends because I'm lazy and honestly, trends are expensive and time-consuming. Even the usual nerd trends, I just realized this when I tried to join the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Club on campus. They're all like "OMG DOCTOR WHO OMG STAR TREK" and I'm like "I don't have time for all this TV..." so I don't even follow enough trends to fit in with the nerds. I don't have time for TV trends, don't have money for book trends and game trends.

And then even if you do get the latest thing, people move on within a month and then you just have all this interest in something that no one else cares about anymore. It's disappointing.

Ash
September 8th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Naaaah. I'm far too lazy in order to get into trends, nor do I really have the time (or money!) to do so. I'm not too sure why, but especially when it comes to things like anime I can't really get into something that everyone is craving over. There has been several instances where I would get into something after the trend dies down, because I'm a rebel like that I suppose. xD;

The Last One
September 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
nope =D I either a) like something BEFORE it becomes a trend, or b)after everyone forgets about it... im usually the odd one with the weird trends though =D ...

Raizhu
September 8th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I never bother. I don't pay attention to them nor do I ever follow them.

wcdaily
September 8th, 2011, 04:42 PM
No, I'm just weird, I never really followed trends or really did something everyone else was doing. I will do something if I think it was cool, but I won't be like "omg, everyone else is doing it." This has been apparent in my tastes, while everyone might be listening to their hip hop, rap, pop, etc I will be sitting back listeing to rock, blues, jazz, electronica, etc, or while everyone has their fancy xbox 360 or ps3 I will be enjoying the classics. Am I a hipster?

PlatinumDude
September 8th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I don't follow trends that much because I don't find them particularly interesting. I find online trends more interesting, though.

seeker
September 8th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I actually went on a little rant about conformity today. It drives me mad when people all follow the same path because they're just too short sighted to see that their virtues cannot be the same as any sort of fad.

Did you hear about the hipster who burned his tongue?
He tried to eat his dinner before it became "cool".

aruchan
September 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
#That #facebook #fad #is #so #annoying. I hate following trends. I break the waves. ^_^

Gold warehouse
September 9th, 2011, 04:03 AM
No, I haven't. I like what I like, regardless of what everyone else thinks.

There was a huge hype over OFWGKTA a few months ago, of course I had to see what it was all about because I love a lot of hiphop, so I gave them a listen and found I liked some of their stuff. Does that mean I was part of the fad? Not really, I still would have liked it whether there was hype around it or not.

And I think most people don't even know what a hipster is.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
September 10th, 2011, 01:34 AM
MLP, Bieber bashing and Rebecca Black bashing :D Oh and recently I gotten everybody in my class obsessed with Pokémon. :3 Which is awesome because now I can talk about Pokémon without being ashamed. XDDD;

bobandbill
September 10th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Sure did - Pokemon was a big fad back in the day. ;p

For more current ones... I was one of those that didn't like Bieber, but that was more due to his attitude/unimpressive song (to me anyways) rather than myself following the crowd. Actually... the ones I'm more into are more to do with games (e.g. Cavestory, TWEWY) and the such (also say webcomics like Homestuck), and less to do with say music, in which I tend to ignore mainstream opinion in general (bah humbug @ a lot of the popular music these days -_-).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
September 10th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'm very out of touch with modern trends and stuff like that. Simply because I really don't care about that kind of thing. I have my own interests, and 99% of the time they aren't in any related to the hot trends and topics everyone else is buzzing about. And that's fine with me.

Shining Raichu
September 10th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I think a lot of people follow trends without realising it. They might think that they are above such follow-the-herd behaviour, but everybody follows trends in one way or another. These people may never have known about the things they like had they not reached a level of popularity that allowed their exposure.