PDA

View Full Version : Laughter, the best medicine™

Mariah Carey
August 15th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Do you think that laughter genuinely helps a person if they're sick? OR do you think it's just a trick of the mind?
(too lazy to bother typing up a paragraph about this USE YOUR IMAGINATION)

Kevin
August 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I don't even know. I never heard of laughter help curing you if you're sick, but I guess it's just a trick of the mind.

Naruto Uzumaki
August 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM
No. I'm just going to go into technical point and say that with some sicknesses it's bad to laugh, in case point, it wasn't good for me to laugh while I was sick in the hospital.

Now I'm going to go into the mental sickness view point and such and say that laughter does not cure depression. It doesn't really help at all, you're just masking how you feel and such.

PlatinumDude
August 17th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I think that having a sick person laugh would help them feel better, but only by a little bit.

Cassino
August 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I don't expect wonderous things of laughter itself, more likely damaging given the movement involved; but I do think that if one is happy and wants to recover, they'll be more likely to. It's like how people who regularly have sex apparently live longer — the body's existence seems to persist if one often does things conductive of what nature considers a healthy life.

Mr Cat Dog
August 19th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Unless the act of laughter makes symptoms worse, then I certainly can't see it doing any harm. I'd rather be ill and getting distracted by something funny than be ill and just be depressed. In terms of the curative effect of laughter... I've heard anecdotal evidence of laughter's effects but can't say anything definitive, unfortunately.

Dakota
August 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I say it's a trick of the mind, it takes the person mind of their body and makes them think of whatever it was that made them laugh. A diversion, if you will.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 21st, 2011, 04:38 AM
Do you think that laughter genuinely helps a person if they're sick?
Nope, I highly doubt it because at the end of the day, you are still sick--the only thing that can cure you is medicine and if not time

OR do you think it's just a trick of the mind?
I believe that it is a trick of the mind because when you are laughing, you are forgetting the fact that you are sick and once you stop laughing, you will still be sick regardless

:t354:TG

Captain Hobo.
August 21st, 2011, 07:26 AM
I think laughter helps when you are feeling down, but no when you are sick.