PDA

View Full Version : Your first anime?

Venusaur♣
August 21st, 2011, 08:52 AM
What was the first anime you watched?
What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime?
What was the first anime you watched with subs?

(taken from the original 'Your First Anime?' thread by Lightning (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=31).)

Well, let me start off:

1. Pokemon, back in 2000. I was still pretty young, but from what I heard from my parents is that I used to obsess over the show. I always thought it was produced in America, then it became famous in Japan. Found out it wasn't like that a few years later when I was talking to my cousin about it XD

2. Bleach. I knew it was anime from a family friend and he introduced it to me back in 2007. He also introduced me to Naruto, which I then watched for two years or so. Started watching it online back in 2008. Same with Bleach.

3. Naruto. I remember waiting for the new episodes to come out on tailedfox (or w/e it's called) every week. Ah, good days. I then started watching a wide variety of anime after that. From then on anime played a role in my life XD

Galukxy
August 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM
Card Captor Sakura -insert cool face-

Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh because I watched them both around the same time, sort of.

Lucky Star.

matu
August 21st, 2011, 09:35 AM
1. Pokemon, because, you know, we all watched Pokemon.
2. I guess Naruto, when it started on Jetix. (Yes, we don't have 4Kids in Europe)
3. Bleach, and thank god I started watching with subs. Their voices are awesome.

Graceful
August 21st, 2011, 09:48 AM
1. I think it was "Pokemon" or "Sailor Moon" because that's what my older sister used to watch when I was really young :)
2. I think it was when I rewatched "Sailor Moon" and "Pokemon" when I was around 10 years old. ^.^
3. I think my first subbed anime was "Maria-sama ga Miteru" or "Lucky Star" which was early last year >.>

Weeaboo Name
August 21st, 2011, 09:56 AM
watched?-
Pokemon/Sailor Moon/BeyBlade

watched knowing it was "anime"?
That would probably be Blood+ or Bleach. Watching anime on youtube, nostalgia.

watched subbed?
Blood+

Chairman Kaga
August 21st, 2011, 10:57 AM
1. What was the first anime you watched?

Probably either Mitsubachi Maya no Bouken (http://myanimelist.net/anime/2571/Mitsubachi_Maya_no_Bouken) or Fushigi na Koala Blinky (http://myanimelist.net/anime/1333/Fushigi_na_Koala_Blinky). These aired in the late 80s/early 90s on Nick Jr. dubbed as Maya the Bee and The Noozles respectively and I watched them regularly as a preschooler.

2. What was the first anime that you watched, knowing it was anime?

Pokemon. I was initially told by my parents that I wasn't allowed to watch it because it was "Japanimation", which was my first exposure to the concept of anime, even in that horribly bastardized form of the word.

3. What was the first anime you watched with subs?

Hellsing. A friend who had broadband before I did burned the series to some DVDs for me and I watched it on television. It was horrendously pixelated from high compression (pretty sure these were grabbed off of an IRC channel before bittorrent existed) and the subs would be laughably unprofessional by today's standards (unreadable fonts, terrible QC, random commentary from the subber, etc.) but the show was still mind-blastingly awesome to me the first time I watched it. It's certainly vastly overshadowed by Hellsing Ultimate now, but Logos Naki World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-KxsdWX9xE) is still one of the best anime opening themes ever.

Mr Cat Dog
August 21st, 2011, 11:12 AM
The first anime I watched, like so many other people on PC, was Pokemon. It was probably a close-run contest between that, Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon, but as they were advertised alongside the other cartoons in the childrens' block of programming, I didn't think anything was really different.

The first TV anime I watched knowing the differences between anime and Western animation - as well as the first one I watched with subs - was FLCL, and I wouldn't recommend this as the first pure anime experience. I imagine I'll come back and appreciate it more in time, but I'd much rather have started with the infinitely more accessibly Cowboy Bebop (which I really, really like). The first cinematic anime I watched was Spirited Away,many years ago, although I might not have watched it with subs for the first time until just last year!

Pyrax
August 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
An old Mecha anime. It wasn't Voltron, as far as I know.
I'm pretty sure I also watched Doraemon as a kid.

Either Pokémon or Dragonball.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Sora
August 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
1. It was either Sailor Moon or Pokemon. I'm not too sure which one came first.
2. Inuyasha. My friend told me that I should watch it, but it ran too late. Sooo, I asked my dad to tape some episodes and voila, my first anime.
3. I think it would had to have beeen... Pita-Ten. It was the first Manga series that I finished and I wanted to watch the anime, but it was subbed so there you go.

Truality
August 23rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
I watched Dragonball for the first time back in '95. I was amazed by it because even though I was 4 back then I already would understand how different this is from a Western type of cartoon (even though I wouldn't call it 'western' then, just 'different')

Then it was Pokemon. I knew it was an anime.

And finally, Naruto was the first subbed anime I watched. Well, more like downloaded.

thedestinedblade
August 23rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
1. I'm almost certain it was a movie called Little Nemo. Probably around 92' or 93'.

2. Dragonball Z

3. Now this one, I'm not too sure of. Could of been Gundam SEED or Shaman King. I also have some subbed Dragonball GT VHS tapes, lol...

Kenshin5
August 23rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
1. I'd have to go with the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that run from 87 to 96. If that is actually considered an anime. If not then I'd go with Beast Wars, Dragon Ball Z, Ronin Warriors.

2. Dragon Ball Z or Gundam Wing

3. Naruto (cause I was getting sick of waiting for the hyped up Village of the End fight so I watched ahead and said screw all the fillers, Shippuuden is out I'm watching that. Same with Bleach I wanted to find out what happened with Ichigo after he fought Kenpachi and I didn't feel like waiting another week so I started to watch that as well.)

PokéSwimmer
August 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Yeeeeeah, I don't watch too much anime, but here goes:
It was Pokémon way back when it first came out.

I honestly have no idea, it was probably Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z though.

Some animated adaptations of the "Tales of" series, back when I was really into it. I think it was the "Tales of Eternia" anime adaptation.

parallelzero
August 23rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
In all likelihood, Pokemon, but that was a long time ago.

Inuyasha in... 2003? Whenever it started airing in Canada, more or less.

Gundam SEED Destiny... before I'd even finished the first season since it was airing on TV at the time.

Kevin
August 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Oh... Either Sailor Moon or Pokemon.

Naruto.

Um either Bleach or Naruto.

Happy Azumarill
August 23rd, 2011, 05:20 PM

Sailor Moon and Pokemon

What was the first anime you watched, knowing it was anime?

Ghost in the shell

What was the first anime you watched in subs?

Ghost in the shell SAC 2ND GIG

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
August 24th, 2011, 04:51 AM
1.What was the first anime you watched? Sailor Moon. Came years before Pokemon.

2.What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime? Ah My Goddess. Picked it up, believe it or not, at Wal Mart back in '05.

3.What was the first anime you watched with subs? I seem to recall Clannad being one of the first, but I'm not completely sure and there might be some random, obscure subbed OVA that I discovered first.

Zet
August 24th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Sailor Moon

Spirited Away

Gurren Lagann

I think Gurren Lagann was the first anime I watched subbed.

Geri
August 24th, 2011, 06:19 AM
memoles, dragon ball, sailormoon, kickers, candy :D

Game Over1375
August 24th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Sailor Moon. Just now started watching it in its original language with subs. Awesomeness!

Cowboy Bebop. Aw yeah...

Digimon Seasons 1 and 2

GAOlivier
August 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM
1. pokemon of course :3 you don't realise it's anime until you get introduced to the whole anime concept
2. Naruto. A friend of mine recommended me to watch it. Have watched every episode with satisfaction ever since ( All those filler haters may leave the building xD)
3. Naruto. :3 (screw you dubs)

Sesh
August 26th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Sailor Moon probably when I was like 4 lol maybe 5

Probably Pokemon and when I went back and watched DBZ

Same as above poster :P Naruto! Subs in that one are smexy o.o

Digimon Kaiser
August 27th, 2011, 10:09 AM
1. Sailor Moon
2. Pokemon (Indigo League)
3. Digimon Savers

Ryoutarou
August 27th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Teyandee of the Legendary Ninja Cats. It was dubbed over as Samurai Pizza Cats in the early 90s and was a pretty fun show to watch. Though it had some pretty major changes when it was dubbed, both versions are nonsensical comedies, so it never bothered me too much.

Hm, this one is a little tricky, but I'm pretty sure it was Ronin Warriors, known as Yoroiden Samurai Troopers in Japan. This was around the time I started frequenting flea markets on the weekends with my family and found a lady who sold super early subs of it along with Dragonball and Dragonball Z. (I had already seen them, but had no idea they were anime)

I want to say either Gundam SEED or Zeta Gundam, but I'm not quite sure since they were really close. I bought HK box sets of both series not that far apart from each other. This probably would have been around late 2003. The first series I actually followed as it aired is a toss up. I started watching the first Fullmetal Alchemist near the end of its run raw before I found fansubs and then started Gundam SEED Destiny in fansub form right from the first episode.

lucariolugia
September 6th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Pokemon~ Well the first series anyway~
Hetalia. *points to a Norwegian and a Finn* Blame them.
Hetalia. Blame said Scandinavians. They told me to.

jvpski3
September 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
My first anime is Golden Boy.
I knew it was anime because at the cast, it had Japanese people and a Japanese company, Shueisha.
I watched Golden Boy as well in subs.

Midori Chi
September 8th, 2011, 09:43 AM
1. What was the first anime you watched? Sailor Moon
2. What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime? Chobits
3. What was the first anime you watched with subs? Ummm..I can't remember? It might have been Chobits as well. XD

Jarred0809
September 8th, 2011, 10:29 AM
1. Pokemon
2. Naruto or Yugioh, can't remember
3. Might've been Naruto, but the only one I'm sure of is Deathnote.

smile!
September 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM
The first ever, I think, was Doraemon (it IS considered anime, right? idk XD)

Dubbed Pokemon, when I was really young, I think.

Then Uninhabited Planet Survive. Though I watched the dubs first. In like, 20 or so episodes XD When I was 14 or something. Then I got the full episode in Japanese, so I was pretty happy about it. And it's a pretty good series as well ^_^

Ephemeral Euphoria
September 8th, 2011, 08:17 PM
First anime I ever saw was Dragonball Z, believe I was around 7 at the time.

pink-tiger
September 9th, 2011, 06:16 PM
1. Sailor Moon
2. Inuyasha
3. Pokemon
4. DBZ
5. Yu-Gi-Oh

Lightblind
September 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Pokémon and Detective Conan. I really can't recall which one I took to first.

Toradora!.

Ah! My Goddess.

wonjoon0330
September 13th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Candy Candy

Card Captor Sakura

Card Captor Sakura

Althea
September 14th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Sailor Moon, which I used to get up to watch at, like, six in the morning.

Ghost in the Shell, about a decade later...

I'm pretty sure it was Death Note...either Death Note or Elfen Lied. It was quite a long time ago now...

Eurydice
September 20th, 2011, 07:08 AM
1.What was the first anime you watched?
The first anime i watched i believe was cardcaptor sakura. either that or pokemon. i dont remember what one was first. it was about the same time.

2.What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime?
I would like to say outlaw star but i dont think i knew what anime was so it was probably Inuyasha
3.What was the first anime you watched with subs?
D.N.Angel. i cant stand the english voices so i had to watch the whole series in japanese. which was alot better not the greatest tho

Yoshikkko
September 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM
When I was little, those were all Pokémon, Medabots, Super Pig, Sailor Moon, etc.

2. What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime?
The first anime I aimed at was Death Note (iirc, it was a long time ago). I got to anime through my cousin, who was watching DN at the time, and that got me hooked, so I'm guessing it's that one. I'm not entirely sure though.

I've always watched anime with subs (except the ones when I was little of course), and I don't think I ever watched a dubbed one.

My favourite studio is GAINAX and Studio 4°C, and my favourite anime are probably DN, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, Mushi-shi and some more lol.

Joe Chan
September 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
1) Pokemon. Nough said.
2) Hetalia. Sister Introduced to me.
3) Hetalia. I don't think it was dub when I started watching it.

Zeroblivion
September 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Gundam. The old series.
(http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6856856#)Maybe Dragon Ball.
Pokemon, duh. It's just awesome and I felt okay, cheered up.

miju-kun
October 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Pokémon
same as above
Lucky Star

Taro Tanaka
October 8th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Dragon Ball Z
Sonic X
Soul Eater

DarkAlucard
October 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Saint Seiya and Captain Tsubasa, these were my life when I was a child.
Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin), I stay awake until the show, since it was broadcast at midnight.
Neo Genesis Evangelion. Japanese audio with english subs.

MuffinPaula
October 10th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Pokemon
I never knew what anime was back them so I gotta say none
Shugo Chara! I was never into anime until I watched AMV's so that's how I know the anime's people know today.

ashe-chan
October 11th, 2011, 05:29 AM
hmmm.... my first anime? well if pokemon counts then pokemon if not then it would be ouran high school host club

femtrooper
October 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM
My first anime was to my knowledge Sailor Moon (dubbed version) when I was 6, however, a part of me feels that I was exposed to anime before that with Hello Kitty and possibly Keropi. I also watched Unico when I was really young, so that may actually be my very first anime, but that was a movie, not a series.

ScarletCross
October 12th, 2011, 08:09 AM
1) Pokemon. I think. Or it was Digimon. But I liked Pokemon more.

2) Death Note. I love that anime but it's one that you can't just re-watch unless you are a crazy fangirl. Or unless you wanna watch the 'crisp' scene....lol

3) Naruto. Because I couldn't find dubbed.

Nintendork15
October 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
1]The most generic asnwer you'll get ... Pokémon :3 :cer_boogie:
2]Bleach! :cer_love:
3]I don't remember it, it was a japanese one english sub, it was a anime movie tribute though :cer_confused:

GAMBY
October 12th, 2011, 10:02 AM
1. Pokemon
2. Sonic X
3. Shaman King

PokeshippingSuicune
October 18th, 2011, 05:05 PM
My first anime was technically was Pokemon but my second was Lucky Star :3
Lucky Star is a really good anime, I really enjoyed it :)

My first anime was technically was Pokemon but my second was Lucky Star :3
Lucky Star is a really good anime, I really enjoyed it :)

Brendino
October 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Sailor Moon was the first anime that I remember watching, but Dragon Ball wasn't that far behind.

Aside from the shows I had watched that I later found out were anime, the first one I saw was Dragon Ball GT.

Pokemon is really the only anime I've watched with subs, but really only after the English voice actors changed.

Sodom
October 19th, 2011, 06:22 AM
The first anime I ever watched would be either Pokemon or Sailor Moon, but I honestly don't know which came first. I was very young when I first saw both, but I can't really say for sure. It was probably Sailor Moon, come to think of it, but I could be wrong.

I've never watched an anime with subs though lol - I don't like reading subtitles, so I only watch the dubbed stuff.

DexHolderBlue
October 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM
As a kid, I used to watch anime such as Sailor Moon, Pokemon, etc. But my first full anime was Tokyo Mew Mew. That's what really got me started on the whole anime craze to begin with. I don't care what people say, it's a great Magical Girl anime.

potterfan434
October 25th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I honestly don't remember, probably Saturday morning stuff.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Weirdest anime ever.

Spice and Wolf. I thought it was interesting, then I discovered Code Geass.

The Author
October 25th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I think it was Sailor Moon to be honest.

HEY MAN, THAT SHOW WAS AWESOME‼

sherreamethyst
October 27th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Pokemon Seasons 1-5. I always thought of it as a cartoon when I was younger, and didn't ever hear the term 'anime' until I got older. It wasn't really the coolest thing at my school to watch back then, but I loved it! I didn't watch every episode, and I sure didn't keep track of Ash's journey. But whenever I saw it on the little tv screen under the soda machine at the Mexican restaurant my dad owned, I would totally eat rice and drink root beer while watching it. Those were the good ol' days!

-If I can put a movie in here, Spirited Away, ehehe! <3

-Again, Pokemon episodes!

Cresta
October 27th, 2011, 07:07 PM
1. Pokemon.

2. Ouran High School Host Club.

3. Sailor Moon.

xGlaceonx
October 28th, 2011, 04:08 AM
What was the first anime you watched? Pokemon
What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime? Pokemon(although at first i think i thought it was considered more of a cartoon...then i realized it was anime.)
What was the first anime you watched with subs? k-on, which was my second anime.

Snivy063
November 6th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I can't choose whether it was Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura. :'x

Probably Pokemon, I actually thought this was cartoon but my classmate told me it was an anime. XD

I tried watching Cardcaptor Sakura again and it had subs in it! <3

Namehere
November 6th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I want to say Sailor Moon, but I honestly can't remember.

Either Pokemon, Digimon, or Dragon Ball Z.

Can't remember too well, but I think it was either Kuroshitsuji or Naruto.

Muskaan
November 6th, 2011, 02:57 AM
It was Detective Conan Still My Fav ...................

Kikyochanx
November 6th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Uh.. Sailor Moon I thinks, and then DBZ

InuYasha

CardCaptor Sakura, InuYasha, Pokemon, and EVERYTHING on Toonami.

And yeah.. I liked InuYasha a lot years ago, but not so much these days. So, you maybe wondering why I even use this name.. It has stuck with me all over since then. Could never think of any other names. XD

Zaicon
November 6th, 2011, 04:38 AM
1) Pokemon. What else?
2 & 3) Death Note. It is one of the only anime series I've completed.

Eucliffe
November 6th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Surprisingly, I think I saw Kiki's Delivery Service before Pokemon or Sailor Moon. I didn't watch much, but still.

...Probably Yu-Gi-Oh!? That or Shaman King. ...Of course, Fighting Foodons and Ultimate Muscle had already aired by then... I think Kirby did, too. Sonic X, I'm not so sure about...

Tokyo Mew Mew. I looked it up on Google Videos (back when YT was still very new and I wasn't that good at browsing the web) and found a single episode subbed. So, out of curiosity, I watched it!

Eeveemaster9
November 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM
-----Pokemon, I believe. Would wake up at 3AM to watch it because that was the only time it aired back in '07 OTL
-----Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (When The Cicadas Cry), actually. I was looking up Pokemon stuff, and I happened upon a Mystery-Dungeon themed "Nageki no Mori" and in the related videos, was the original from Higurashi. The first season was extremely confusing for me because of the 'arcs' and myself being about eleven watching this gore and blood. Derp.
~~~
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. I didn't like the english dub of Rena's voice.

Squeaker Ed
November 8th, 2011, 11:15 PM
~ Sailor Moon, way back when I was little. X3

~ Case Closed, I believe, back when it was on Adult Swim.

~ Mermaid Melody. And nope, I do not regret it at all.

Exzessiva
November 10th, 2011, 12:07 AM
* Tom and Jerry, Justice League and Popeye the Sailor man. That time I was a toddler I guess. xD

* Pokemon Johto League. Infact my pokemon journey starts with the Johto League championship with Ash, Pikachu, Misty and Brock!.

* Naruto. I actually enjoy watching animes with subtitles. That way I can catch some Japanese words.

이큐리
November 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Sailor Moon when I was 7. I thought it was made in USA. xD

Ah! My Goddess!

Omg, this is a hard one to remember. Um, it was with my cousin...so it might have been Akira.

Nerdy Mojo
November 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM

(taken from the original 'Your First Anime?' thread by Lightning (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=31).)

Well, let me start off:

1. Pokemon, back in 2000. I was still pretty young, but from what I heard from my parents is that I used to obsess over the show. I always thought it was produced in America, then it became famous in Japan. Found out it wasn't like that a few years later when I was talking to my cousin about it XD

2. Bleach. I knew it was anime from a family friend and he introduced it to me back in 2007. He also introduced me to Naruto, which I then watched for two years or so. Started watching it online back in 2008. Same with Bleach.

3. Naruto. I remember waiting for the new episodes to come out on tailedfox (or w/e it's called) every week. Ah, good days. I then started watching a wide variety of anime after that. From then on anime played a role in my life XD

1. dragon ball-the original was awesome
2. gundam wing-got turned onto this by my best friend
3.super robot taisen-checked it out after playing the gba game based on the original characters (the anime has everyone from gundam to macross)

A Pixy
November 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Dragon Ball Z is the answer to all of those questions.

Because Dragon Ball Z is COOOOOOOOOOL.

Xeberos
November 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM
My first anime was Pokémon and second was meaby Dragon Ball Z. I remember when I first time saw Pokémon about 10-12 years ago. First episode I saw was Clefairy episode where Ash and others were in Mt. Moon.

Sentinel 677
December 6th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I don't remember exactly what the first anime was that I watched, but it was one of these-

Beyblade, as often as I could, getting up early every saturday to watch it, truly enjoyable.
I was sad when it ended (sniff). :(
or
Digimon, although not reguarly. The worst part was the fact the first seasons of pokemon aired at the same time on another channel and I never watched it. I was little, okay?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
December 12th, 2011, 02:35 PM
1.What was the first anime you watched?
Well Pokemon of course ^^

2.What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime?
Pokemon, yet again

3.What was the first anime you watched with subs?
Naruto because I liked the English episodes so much that I went ahead and kept following the Japanese epuisodes of Naruto

:t354:TG

Juicy
December 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
The first anime I watched would have been something on Cheese TV, Pokemon, maybe? It could just have easily been Dragon Ball Z. The first anime I watched knowing it was anime would had to have been Ranma 1/2. I remember my friend gave me a bunch of DVDs with Ranma episodes on them. That was also my first time watching subbed anime.

Seki
December 12th, 2011, 11:54 PM
The first anime that I watch is either Pokemon, Captain Tsubasa or Doraemon. The first anime that I knew that it was an anime is probably Inuyasha (Just one of the many movies, its the also the only time I watched Inuyasha) or Gundam Seed. The first anime that I watched with subs is definitely D-Gray Man.

BryGuy Shinigami
December 13th, 2011, 09:54 PM
The first anime I remember seeing was Speed Racer, back in the early 90s. As far as first anime I watched that I knew it was anime was Pokemon and DragonballZ in 2000. And the first anime I watched subbed I think was The Excel Saga in 2006.

Ayutac
December 21st, 2011, 02:32 AM
* Tom and Jerry, Justice League and Popeye the Sailor man. That time I was a toddler I guess. xD
I don't think these are animes.

-----Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (When The Cicadas Cry), actually. I was looking up Pokemon stuff, and I happened upon a Mystery-Dungeon themed "Nageki no Mori" and in the related videos, was the original from Higurashi. The first season was extremely confusing for me because of the 'arcs' and myself being about eleven watching this gore and blood. Derp. Damn, with eleven? Well, I played DOOM2 with nine, but there were monsters and everything was pixeled. Watching this thrilling Anime with good quality, whua…

Probably either Mitsubachi Maya no Bouken (http://myanimelist.net/anime/2571/Mitsubachi_Maya_no_Bouken) or Fushigi na Koala Blinky (http://myanimelist.net/anime/1333/Fushigi_na_Koala_Blinky). These aired in the late 80s/early 90s on Nick Jr. dubbed as Maya the Bee and The Noozles respectively and I watched them regularly as a preschooler. Wow, for a moment I thought Blinky Bill would be Anime, too…

Well, for 1. it may be Maja, but I do not really consider this as anime. About the same time, there was (probably) Cat's Eye (http://myanimelist.net/anime/2043/Cats_Eye). It was so long ago I didn't recalled a thing besides one or two images until someone helped me remembering it some years ago.
2. Pokémon, but without knowing the proper term is "Anime". I had this magazine where it said Pokémon comes from Japan, so, that would be it.
3. Should be Love Hina, even if Naruto should be second two this. Was years before it came out in Germany, I watched with english dubs, too. The first English words I learned by watching dubs were probably hug and dare, because they appeared so often in Love Hina I simply had to look them up.

2. I guess Naruto, when it started on Jetix. (Yes, we don't have 4Kids in Europe)Thank god for this. And Jetix is cool.

Loriania
December 25th, 2011, 12:24 AM
It was either Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball Z. I used to watch all the time when I was younger.

Inuyasha. I have since watched the whole series.

Record of Lodoss War. I used to catch episodes on an Asian Channel.

real.
January 10th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Dragon Ball anyone? Although back then I didn't even know about anime... If we're talking about actually knowing we were watching anime - Bleach.

Alley Cat
January 10th, 2012, 06:01 PM
My first anime was Dragon Ball Z. Of course then I was too young to really understand the plot, but the good guys beating up the bad guys was enough for me. I understood it... Just not very well :p it was easier to just indulge myself in mindless cartoon violence.

The first anime I watched knowing that it was anime was Inuyasha. Pretty awesome, one of my favorites too. Perhaps because it was what started me on anime in the first place.

As for the first subbed anime, it w as Wolfs Rain. I had remembered seeing a few episodes on AS so I went and hunts down the anime and watched it from start to finish. I couldn't find dubs, so I watched the subbed ones. That was before I realized how bad most dubs are.

Netto Azure
January 12th, 2012, 10:42 PM
What was the first anime I watched?

Depends, but the one I seriously remember back when I was like what 5?

Was Aoi Blink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aoi_Blink

The story opens with the meeting between our hero, Kakeru, and a mystical pony named Blink. Kakeru saves Blink from a thunder shower and in gratitude, Blink tells him that if he is ever in trouble, all Kakeru needs to do is call out his name and he will appear. At the end of the summer when Kakeru returns home, his father, a writer of children's stories, is kidnapped. Kakeru, weeping, calls out Blink's name and, as promised, Blink immediately appears, and the two set out on the trail of Kakeru's father. Only at the end, when Kakeru woke up from his deep sleep found out that all his adventures with Blink was only his father’s writings that shown in his dreams

Seriously, I remember how I was so deeply into the show that it was the first time I cried over..."a cartoon." The ending was just too much for a young kid like me back then. Even now I would freaking cry since it's somewhat like Angel Beats. .__.

Pokemon of course. :P

Gatekeepers. Really good stuff in AXN Asia back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gate_Keepers

The story is set in 1969, a period of time in which Japan is experiencing intense economic and social development after the end of World War II in 1945. Unbeknownst to humans, alien/interdimensional beings have emerged with plans to take over the world by sending numerous agents to wreak havoc in cities, turning people into robotic minions. They are referred to as "Invaders" (インベーダー Invēdā?).
In an attempt to confront the Invaders and defend the planet; an elite but highly secret organization of peace-keepers called the Alien Exterminating Global Intercept System (more commonly known as A.E.G.I.S.), was set up with special funding from the government. They rely on the ability of "Gate Keepers", who have the power to open dimensional "gates" of a paranormal energy that give them their superpowers. These superpowers are the only weapons that have any effect on Invaders.
Although A.E.G.I.S. has branches around the world, the series focuses on the Far East division in Japan. The headquarters of the Far East branch of A.E.G.I.S. lies beneath Tategami High School, a facade created by the organization to mask the active recruitment of new Gate Keepers. Since many of the candidates were High School students, the location allowed the agents to be enrolled in school and be available for a mission at a moment's notice.

Prons
January 14th, 2012, 02:01 PM
The first anime I ever watched was probably Speed Racer

The first anime I ever watched that I knew was anime was Cowboy Bebop or Trigun

Haguri
February 8th, 2012, 01:19 PM
My first anime was a movie, and it was Kiki's Delivery Service.

Kajini
February 8th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I grew up on DBZ. I was obsessed @_@

Casidesia
February 8th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Sailor Moon! Even today, its still a favorite, so much so that i own the entire series in japanese. lol

PetalDanceD
February 8th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Inspector Gadget <3

EDIT: Hi there, digi-kun here with a fun fact involving this to drive it over the 25 character limit.
While Inspector Gadget was indeed created to be an American cartoon, most of the animation was actually done in Japan and Taiwan, therefore technically counting it as as an anime, similar to the Yugioh movie being pushed by 4kids.

wilso
February 8th, 2012, 11:48 PM
well when i was a kid i didnt really no wat anime ment or was but im pretty sure dragon ball and digimon where first then i remember this show called mar not sure wat it was about but me and my bro watched it when we where kids

Charicific
February 9th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I was a kid back then and I never knew what the hell is an anime and what's not.
I believe the first one is either DragonBall or Pokemon. My first Anime I watched, knowing it is, was Pokemon. For me, Pokemon is exceptional and my first Non-Pokemon Anime was Death Note.

DarkDoom3000
February 9th, 2012, 04:10 AM
VOLTRON! -I was really young when I saw it though, don't remember much about it.

DBZ is my favourite from my childhood. such a great show. Gonna be picking up DBZ-Kai soon.

Possibly DBZ? I can't really pin down when I found out what anime was. It's an odd question. Maybe naruto.

Hmm... I can't really remember. I don't think I've really watched subbed anime. I always watch stuff on TV, while multitasking on my computer, so reading was out of the equasion.

Actually, back in the day, I did watch through subbed DBZ movies- if that counts.

Briar
February 10th, 2012, 04:32 AM
probably voltes five as it used to air on local cable.

i don't really remember, but it was most likely one of those anime that used to air on axn (gate keepers and all that.

see above.

Shinigami_
February 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Rurouni Kenshin and Dragonball Z - Anime was fairly new to America at that time, so choices were limited. but I think its safe to say it was the former that got me really hooked; I just loved the story and the characters.

Tachikaze
February 19th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Aside from the original Pokemon Anime, my first ones were probably Dragon Ball and Gundam, around the late 90's-early 2000's or so.

Overlord Drakow
February 20th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I am going to exclude Pokemon, YGO and DBZ to be honest as they are mainstream. So the first anime I ever got into was one called Elfen Lied lol. I was listening to music on youtube and found an AMV of it and all the blood and gore intrigued me so much, I decided to watch it XD

RedJ
February 20th, 2012, 08:09 PM
What was the first anime you watched? Voltron: Defenders of the Universe
What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime? Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z
What was the first anime you watched with subs? Uh...Bleach or Vampire Knight, not for sure.

awolfsquared
February 24th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Pokemon that's why Im on PC right now.
Naruto; the dub when it was on Toonami
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt heard about it online and almost finished season one.
That or Katekyo Hitman Reborn a friend recommended me to watch it but it was only subbed.

dajman1996
March 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM
What was the first anime you watched? Pokemon, Digimon and Transformers Amada. (All in the same sitting for the first episode)
What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime? Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, Transformers
What was the first anime you watched with subs? Digimon, Yugioh and Bleach.

Joshawott
March 24th, 2012, 09:13 PM

Pokémon (shocking, I know). The show really did wonders for anime way back when.

Shuffle! Though oddly enough I've still never gotten around to finishing it.

None. I've watched a few episodes of Pokémon with subtitles (specifically the banned ones) but that's about it. I just can't seem to get into animes with subtitles, mostly because it's a different language that I'm not used to. If I ever do watch an anime with subtitles it'll probably be Lucky Star.

Mysterious
March 24th, 2012, 09:21 PM

Pokemon, when I was around 5 years old and the TV stations didn't suck.

Sailor Moon.

Pokemon, again. The subs were terrible, though. The first anime I watched with decent subs was Lucky Star.

jbthedelirious
March 25th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Pokemon. What else?

What was the first anime you watched, knowing it was an anime?
Dragon Ball Z

One Piece.

yevon15
March 26th, 2012, 10:40 AM
What was the first anime you watched? Dragon Ball (I remember coming back from kindergarten and watching this, around 20 years ago)
What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime? Naruto (started at around 14)
What was the first anime you watched with subs? Clannad (2-3 years ago, when I started watching anime on a more regular basis)

Gleam Noiyam
April 1st, 2012, 10:23 AM
Either One Piece or Pokemon.

Knowing that it was an Anime? Pokemon I guess. (In 2008.)

I don't remember. Probably some anime name Lamune.

deck23
June 15th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I'm confused between Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon. Not really sure which I watched first.

Death Note. Could any anime beat this? Still the best anime ever XD.

Naruto.

SubVirus
June 19th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Tenchi Muyo! and Outlaw Star (both were on Toonami and played one after another)
Ranma 1/2 soon after falling in love with all of Rumiko Takahashi's work (writer/artist for InuYasha)
I don't really know to be honest... Could have been Pokemon or Naruto

ryuzakix7
June 19th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I can't remember (since it was about 18 years ago xD)..I think it was Dragon Ball.
But should be Saint Seiya/Hokuto no Ken/Captain Tsubasa,/Sailor Moon (yeah, Sailor Moon xD)/ Ranma 1/2/Yu Yu Hakusho too..
uhm..see above xD xD
uhm..i think it was Naruto...

FayAurora
June 19th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Most likely Sailor Moon, but it could have been Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z (I think), or Yu-Gi-Oh.
One of the four above, my brothers kept me well educated :P
Hmmm I think it was a short, not well known anime... Hmm I can't quite recall the name of it

Purple Materia
June 19th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Pokemon, but I really don't consider it to be my first anime.

I really consider my first to be Sonic X; it's the first time I discovered I could watch anime with subs over the Internet.

Antemortem
June 19th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I distinctly remember watching Inuyasha with one of my friends, his mom, and my mom in a hotel room like six-seven years ago. Not much else to that testimonial!

Draco Razr
June 27th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Pokemon was the first anime i watched. Subs i think was Mega Man Star Force in which I saw it on the Internet

Shrew
July 23rd, 2013, 11:20 PM
1. Pokemon. Blah.

2. Pokemon, again. By the time I learned what anime was, it was one of the view anime-shows I was watching. I also watched stuff like Yugioh, or whatever else was on KidsWB.

3. Lucky Star. <3

Mesut
July 26th, 2013, 11:33 PM
My first anime I ever watched was Saint Seya! I remember coming home from school everyday just to watch it! xD Then one day they cancelled it and then they started airing Captain Tsubasa at first I was furios but then I coped with it then it became My favorite anime ! I think that's the reason why I started to play soccer

zakisrage
August 10th, 2013, 06:46 AM
What was the first anime you watched? The first I remember is Dragon Ball Z. I didn't like it. I thought it was so dumb. As for the first I ever watched...

My older sister remembers watching a really old anime about fairy tales - this was before I was born. We lived in Lebanon, so she saw the Arabic dub. (An English dub exists too.) Mum taped a few episodes for my sister. We still had the tapes when I was little, and Mum said I watched them, though I don't remember. I rediscovered the series last year - it's called Grimm Masterpiece Theatre in Japanese and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics in English. It was made by Nippon Animation, who makes a lot of anime based on Western literature (such as Heidi - their Heidi anime is nearly 40 years old now). They made Noozles too...that was mentioned earlier.

What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime? Hamtaro. I found out Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and DBZ were anime before that, but I didn't know that at first.

What was the first anime you watched with subs? I think it was Bleach. I'm not too big on the series, but it's decent.

BubbleBeams
August 10th, 2013, 09:47 AM
1. Pokemon. I had never even heard of the term "anime" and didn't for quite a few years, so I didn't know what an anime was. I just saw a cartoon of something I liked so I watched it. Before I had heard the term "anime" I also watched shows like Digimon, Card Capture Sakura and Sailor Moon.

2. The first anime that I watched knowing what an anime was is InuYasha. In fact it's the only one I watched for years before I discovered Fullmetal Alchemist.

3. The first anime I watched with Subs would be InuYasha: The Final Act. idk if this completely counts, but when the final episodes were finally released, I couldn't wait for it to be dubbed to see them. I had to know how it all ends. Otherwise, the only other anime I've watched with subs so far is Hyouka.

Lamp
August 27th, 2013, 04:59 PM
1. Pokemon
2. Inuyasha
3. One Piece

Sora
August 27th, 2013, 06:11 PM
1. Pokemon. The Mystery of Mount Moon was my first pokemon episode, and thus, my first episode of anime. Of course, not knowing that it was called anime at the time. After that there was Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, etc without me knowing the term.

2. Inuyasha. Someone I knew on a forum told me about Inuyasha and told me to watch it. It was at that time that I knew what anime was and later on realized that Pokemon, Sailor Moon, etc, are also anime as well. Since it was on Adult Swim I couldn't stay up that late to watch it (I was like ten or something) so my dad actually recorded episodes for me to watch the next day.

3. Pita-Ten. By this time I had gotten into Manga as well. Pita-Ten was my favorite at the time and I wanted to watch the anime of it after learning that there was an adaption. Of course, there is no dubbed of the anime so I ended up watching it with subs and thus was my first anime subbed experience. ♥

BeefTaco
August 27th, 2013, 06:18 PM
My first anime was Saint Seiya(Los Caballeros del Zodiaco as I remember them). I was very young so of course I couldn't follow the plot, all I remember was the cool armors hehe.

Orifiel
August 27th, 2013, 09:26 PM
1. I think it was either Card Captor Sakura or Sailormoon
2. I think it's Dragonball Z
3. Azumanga Dioh

REVOLUTION21
August 29th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Well, besides Pokémon, Naruto. It was love at first sight.

Flushed
August 29th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Pokemon or Yugioh. I still don't really consider them anime, but I'm pretty sure they are.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I don't really remember why I started watching it, but it was pretty interesting, so I finished the first season.

I haven't. Not actually a big anime fan to begin with, and I ended up watching tMoHS dubbed.

Peitharchia
August 30th, 2013, 01:58 AM
The first anime I've ever watched was Pokémon. I didn't actually know that this was an anime until I was twelve. I used to think it was just a cartoon like Johnny Bravo and Tom & Jerry, haha. Bleach was the first anime that I've watched by knowing it was an anime. My friends used to talk about it a lot in school, so I just had to see what all the fuss was about.

Trozzul
August 30th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Probably naruto or pokemon, i played both games first before loving the TV shows.

Mimosa_song
August 30th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Pokemon
InuYasha
I really can't remember. So many.. X.x