PDA

View Full Version : The Unrest in Libya

Team Fail
August 21st, 2011, 08:54 PM
I'm not going to go too in-depth with this because it has been plastered on the news for almost half a year. But, recently, the city of Tripoli was taken over by rebels and that Gaddafis' forces fell.

What do you think will happen in Libya, and what do you think will happen to Gaddafi?

~I was recently watching Al Jazeera English and a man was asked, "How do you feel now that Tripoli was taken over?" and his response was "I am happy... Because I am free."
That was the best thing I have heard today.

Went
August 21st, 2011, 11:48 PM
Gaddafi will either run away to some other African country to hide (rumours of North Sudan) or commit suicide, I doubt he'll allow himself to be caught and put on trial like Mubarak.

Meanwhile, the question is, who will take the lead of the NTC during the transition? That's the biggest problem. The group is really indebted to the West for the support so there is a chance they won't start lazying off like the military in Egypt, but still... having a democracy there is still a wish.

But, for now, let's all celebrate there is a dictator less in the world.

Netto Azure
August 22nd, 2011, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I was surprised at the breaking of the stalemate this week. But yeah, how will the whole tribal system be incorporated into this new government...?

Team Fail
August 22nd, 2011, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I was surprised at the breaking of the stalemate this week. But yeah, how will the whole tribal system be incorporated into this new government...?

It's going to be interesting seeing how Libya will even get the next government going. Amyone can say that they wanna be president, but plans could backfire if they are pro-Gaddafi. We'll just have to wait and see, is all.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
August 22nd, 2011, 04:51 AM
Seems like his rule is over after many years of as a tyrant :)
Let's just hope this revolution is more like the US's rather than the French one...

Went
August 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Seems like his rule is over after many years of as a tyrant :)
Let's just hope this revolution is more like the US's rather than the French one...

Historically, the French Revolution meant a lot of political improvements, ending the Ancient Regime in Europe (the counterrevolution that came later quickly backfired). The only thing to avoid is the existence of a Napoleon... like Gaddafi himself was when the previous king was overthrown.

Kyoko
August 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Half my family is over there so this whole mess has been pretty stressful to watch and hear about. I don't quite know what will happen, but at least he'll be out of power. Maybe they'll go back to a monarchy? A lot of people were okay with the King before Gaddafi took over, but there's always a chance for dictator round 2.

It'll be interesting.

Freedom Fighter N
August 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
To be completely honest, I think it will change from dictator number #Idunno to dictator number #Idunno+1. Not much a change, is it.

Lance
August 23rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
The latest I've heard is that the Rebel forces have managed to breach a gate at Gadhafi's compound? And it would seem that he has no intention of surrendering, so chances are they'll kill him.

Team Fail
August 23rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
The latest I've heard is that the Rebel forces have managed to breach a gate at Gadhafi's compound? And it would seem that he has no intention of surrendering, so chances are they'll kill him.

I can definitely see that happening to him. That is, if they don't arrest him and have him sit in a jail cell for the rest of his life.

EDIT: Just read from Twitter (Via CNN) that they (the rebels) are taking items from that compound.

Went
August 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Gaddafi's regime only exists in theory anymore. It's only a matter of time until they surrender the few places they haven't lost yet, but with Tripoli under the NTC's hands, they have little to claim they still are in control.

.Fenris
September 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Has anyone heard about this kid?

UCLA math major joins Libya rebels on 'vacation'

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44359943/

Yeah, what a sick vacation. Nothing like smelling cordite and seeing mangled bodies day in, day out.

Esper
September 2nd, 2011, 08:26 AM
I can sort of understand someone wanting to visit Libya right now. Sort of. It is a revolution and a changing point in one part of the world and as this guy has shown it's not exactly difficult to get there... but it's still dangerous and stupid, especially in the Arab world where lots of people are ambivalent at best about Western countries' involvement with their lives.