PDA

View Full Version : but I have...

Talli
August 25th, 2011, 07:30 AM
this is starting to tick me and my family off, getting away with bad behaviour cause of ADHD.

My Daughter got into a fight at nursery/kiddergarden and I was called up to take her home. She wasn't the one who started it, it was the other kid who is said to have ADHD.

Did he get into trouble no.

Are you sick of people using ADHD as an excuse for bad behaviour
yes I so am
do you know anyone who uses this as an excuse
No, but if I did I'd tell them ADHD is not an excuse of bad behaviour

Cherrim
August 25th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I've seen people use disabilities of any kind as excuses for all sorts of things and it really bothers me. I can understand having it as a sort of disclaimer in general, but it's very obvious when some people make no effort to overcome them and move their behavior more in-line with the general populous. To an extent it can be an excuse and I can sympathize, but when all you give is the excuse time and time again instead of TRYING to improve... it bothers me immensely.

My #1 "uggggh" thing is Asperger's though, not ADHD. :/ Before people jump at me, I have no issues with people who have legitimately have it but... I've met so many people in my time on the internet who self-diagnose it from the symptoms list on Wikipedia and then throw it out as an excuse for trolling or generally being idiots when it comes to online interaction. And to me, that not only greatly insults the people who struggle with it daily, but it's immature and definitely insufferable.

G.U.Y.
August 25th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I hate when people use illnesses or physical problems as excuses (or try to find excuses for them.) Here are some examples:

I'm fat because of my family history/thyroid, not because I eat too much!
That person then goes to McDonalds and buys 4 cheeseburgers. Yes, some people don't have control over their weight. But not that many. More than likely if you stuff your face with tons of garbage all the time, it's your fault.
I'm only rude because I have Asperger's Syndrome, I don't know how to deal with people!
No, you're just a jerk. Asperger's Syndrome does not make you a jerk, it makes it hard for you to deal with people in general. There is a difference. As Lightning said, many people self-diagnose themselves with this.
I get bad grades because of my ADHD. Hold on, let me finish my completing my PokeDex, did you know I maxed out the clock on my Pokemon White?!
You get bad grades because you don't care. If you really had ADHD, you wouldn't be able to sit in one place and stare at a screen for hours without end. You have the ability to study, you just don't want to. There is a difference.
YOU SHOULD RESPECT ME BECAUSE I HAVE (enter medical condition here.)
No, I should respect you for being a decent human being. I don't care if you had cancer, are paralyzed, have diabetes, etc etc. That's not an excuse for bad behavior, and that's not a reason to be praised by everyone hands down so stop acting like that.

I know someone who fits into every single one of those categories. I hate them all. You know why? Because I have Aspergers! Because they're ignorant or just plain stupid, and when given the opportunity to be enlightened they throw it on the ground and spit on it.

PlatinumDude
August 26th, 2011, 02:53 AM
For one, I don't like people who use ADHD as an excuse for bad behavior; it's their decision to have bad behavior or not.

Truality
August 26th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I'm pretty sure there aren't any people who like excuses like that. The thing is how much they bother you.

I've never even met someone who has ADHD in my life, so I wouldn't know about that, but I have met a lot of people who use psychological problems as an excuse for e.g doing nasty stuff or doing poorly at school. It doesn't particularly bother me. Unless these people doing it are someone I care about, I just ignore them. It would annoy me if I knew someone was faking the symptoms and using it as an excuse to anything, though. The bad thing about that is the actual mockery of these who truly have psychological problems; and trust me, few of them that I came across are too timid to even complain about anything, and so they just apologize when something happens.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
August 26th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I had ADHD and I never used it as an excuse for my behavior, other than getting out of one of my classes early to get medicine from the school nurse. With my parents, that type of excuse just wouldn't fly, and it's not like I announced that I have the condition to my friends.

Galukxy
August 26th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Are you sick of people using ADHD as an excuse for bad behavior?
Not really. My brother has ADHD and I just have to live with it, but it is a bit unfair when he does something bad and gets a way with it, but when I do it. I get told off.
Do you know anyone who uses this as an excuse?
Yes, my Dad usually sticks up for my brother and uses it as an excuse for him to get away with trouble.

Kevin
August 26th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I've... never heard of that excuse, to be honest...

But that is a stupid excuse if they don't actually have ADHD. I dunno anyone who uses that excuse though.

PokéSwimmer
August 26th, 2011, 07:48 AM
OK, I'm going to throw my two cents in here and hopefully not get too many people ticked off. As with many of the posters above, I am also very annoyed at people who use it as an excuse for bad behavior. Out of all of the people that I have met that supposedly "had" ADHD (or ADD), I have not met one that truly had a mental disorder.
In fact, I am one who believes that ADHD (as it is defined now) does not really exist.

What? Healthy, normal, energetic kids don't like being shut up indoors and forced to sit still for 3-6 hours a day? There must be something wrong with them! Let's call it a disorder and give them "medicine" for it so that drug companies can make money off of it.

Look at the symptoms list (http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-symptoms) (page 2 also (http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-symptoms?page=2)).

It seems as if it were constructed by adults who fail to see this from the children's perspective. Of course a kid will be "fidgeting, squirming when seated" if they are cooped up in a classroom all day. They are "distracted easily" and "have difficulty paying attention" because they are bored not because there is something "wrong" with them. They have no idea as to why they are in school or how it is relevant to their life. They simply don't care about it.

If you look at the last section (on page 2), I'm sorry, but all of those "symptoms" are just an excuse for bad parenting. If a child isn't properly taught manners, how could you expect him to display proper manners?

ADHD is just an excuse for bad behavior, bad parenting, and allowing drug companies to make money off god knows what they're giving those kids.

tl:dr

ADHD, as it is defined now, is not a real disorder in my eyes
Most of the symptoms are normal for healthy children
The rest are just an excuse for bad parenting

TornZero
August 28th, 2011, 02:02 AM
What? Healthy, normal, energetic kids don't like being shut up indoors and forced to sit still for 3-6 hours a day? There must be something wrong with them! Let's call it a disorder and give them "medicine" for it so that drug companies can make money off of it.

ADHD, as it is defined now, is not a real disorder in my eyes
Most of the symptoms are normal for healthy children
The rest are just an excuse for bad parenting

This. I was "diagnosed" by a psychiatrist and prescribed two different medications (Adderall and Concerta) for ADHD when I was around 12 years old. Got stuck with that bull for two years.

I certainly hate when people try using ANYTHING as an excuse for bad behavior, and it doesn't include, "Sorry, I'm a huge ***** and it's not because of ('disease' here), but I was diagnosed with it so I may pull stereotypical (disease nickname here, such as Aspie for someone with Asperger's) crap."

And I definitely know some people who've used ADHD as an excuse: My own freakin' parents. During most of my elementary and middle school time, I plain could not stay still because it was SO DANG BORING, regardless of passing tests and playing around afterwards, or just not doing homework. Even before I was diagnosed, my own parents tried to explain to my teachers that I had ADHD and I'll act up from time to time.

tl;dr

People may use ANYTHING to keep out of trouble.
Other people will buy said anything.