PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

2Cool4Mewtwo
August 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Days after the earthquake, this happens. (http://news.yahoo.com/hurricane-irene-tightens-aim-east-coast-223254202.html)

I call 2012 conspiracy theory.

Looks like it'll be a really serious hurricane. It will hit North Carolina, then upwards on East Coast, passing major cities, including DC, Baltimore (closest city to where I live), Pennsylvania, and NYC. I've also read that it's the same size as Katrina... :paranoid:

Lenax
August 25th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Wow, the size of Katrina? ....Looks like everyone should prepare for major destruction, then. I have a bunch of friends that I consider my family over there. I'm worried. =(

Now I'm sorta glad I live in Arizona... @_@

G.U.Y.
August 25th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Uh, hurricane Irene has existed for awhile before the Earthquake and we've know that the path would most likely result in a U.S. landfall for awhile.

(For all those thinking "OH IT'S THE SIZE OF KATRINA?!" read before posting) That being said, it's not going to result in anything like Katrina. The reason Katrina was so devastating was because of infrastructure failure caused by stress of the hurricane, NOT because of the size (although that didn't help). Unless if there are below sea-level cities only kept dry by poorly maintained levies in the general location of the landfall (if it does make landfall, it's possible it won't) then it won't be nearly as bad.

If it does make landfall and travel over land up north, it will weaken considerably. It's not like it's going to stay a major hurricane the entire time. lol And all hurricanes that might make US landfalls get this much publicity. There's nothing that sets this hurricane apart from other major hurricanes.

Hopefully it weakens by the time it makes landfall. I believe it is supposed to weaken to a Category 2 before it is supposed to make landfall.

Team Fail
August 25th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I literally saw this on the news 10 minutes ago. Seeing how large it is is kinda scary. I't's longer than the state of Florida. That is big. And if it's going to crawl along the coastline and get cities like New York in it's path is unnerving because they don't usually see storms like that there. And they see it hitting Eastern Canada next week. I think my old LA/Social teacher is gonna flip as her favorite niece lives there.

It seems that many of will have a connection to this storm, whether it is direct or indirect, but the result will be the same. I hope there are few casualties, seeing as people have a few days' warning.

Livewire
August 25th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Katrina was a freak, one in a million storm. Literally the epitome of 'The Perfect Storm". Irene can't do to the east coast what Katrina did to the Gulf.

What interests me is that it's slated to hit the Outer Banks, a longtime vacation spot for my family. Lots of history and memories there, hopefully it won't be damaged badly. :/ Also, Irene looks to be upgraded to category 4 sometime soon.

BlooMilk C.
August 25th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Yup, Hurricane Irene's actually supposed to reach my area by Sunday if it makes landfall. Hopefully it will weaken before then and there won't be too much damage, but there's no telling what will happen.

This definitely won't be as bad as Katrina because Katrina was devastating for purposes triggered by the hurricane.

Cordelia
August 26th, 2011, 04:46 AM
It's supposed to be here Saturday... glad we got our generator up and running!! I just hope we won't lose power for that long...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
August 26th, 2011, 04:47 AM
We have property on the South Carolina coast, so we're hoping it doesn't veer west and make landfall early. I'm just wondering what effects we'll feel where I'm living, approximately 200-300 miles inland from the coast. Guess it's wait for the weekend and see.

Kevin
August 26th, 2011, 05:20 AM
I live in Virginia, and heard about this hurricane about an hour after that earthquake happened...

Hopefully nothing disastrous will happen where I live. They said it will hit us on Sunday.

tleit004
August 26th, 2011, 07:20 AM
he eye of the storm is actually sapposed to go right over were i used to live, ll.good thing i moved.

Kaean
August 26th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I live on long island (outside NYC) so its supposed to hit me at first on Saturday and then keep going through Sunday. That said, I'm not worried. Power wise I have enough redundences to keep lights and my cellphone working for sometime and if my cell is working I have internet. I have food water and so on and so forth along with batteries. I'm rather looking forward to this actually, I love storms.

Team Fail
August 26th, 2011, 10:09 AM
This just in from Twitter:

***BREAKING*** NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg announces MANDATORY EVACUATIONS for low-lying areas. Goes into effect at 5pm Saturday

G.U.Y.
August 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM

***BREAKING*** NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg announces MANDATORY EVACUATIONS for low-lying areas. Goes into effect at 5pm Saturday

I feel like this is a bit overreaction. The hurricane will be a category 1 by the time it's supposed to hit, and it's not even certain if it will hit. :/

Livewire
August 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Wow. If they're evacuating parts of New York, this must be worse than anticipated. This is like something from a doomsday movie.

G.U.Y.
August 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Wow. If they're evacuating parts of New York, this must be worse than anticipated. This is like something from a doomsday movie.

No, it's actually better than anticipated. The hurricane is weaker than it was predicted to be, the pressure has became lighter and it shrank in size. The NYC mayor is just overreacting.

Livewire
August 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM
No, it's actually better than anticipated. The hurricane is weaker than it was predicted to be, the pressure has became lighter and it shrank in size. The NYC mayor is just overreacting.

Yeah, just went on CNN and it's dropped to a Category 2 storm. Plus, Irene is probably too far north now to pick up more steam and get back to Cat. 3.

G.U.Y.
August 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Yeah, just went on CNN and it's dropped to a Category 2 storm. Plus, Irene is probably too far north now to pick up more steam and get back to Cat. 3.

Yep. It's going to be a weak category 1 by the time it reaches New York City - possibly even a tropical storm if it slows down over land.

Morkula
August 26th, 2011, 11:32 AM
For those of you who think people are overreacting...the East Coast (or at least the Mid-Atlantic) hasn't seen a hurricane since Isabel in 2003. That was devastating, and it was only a category 1. Irene is expected to move through as a 2. It's similar to Ike (2008) in both sheer size (it's over 600 miles wide) and intensity, and Ike was a disaster of historic proportions in Texas. And Irene is expected to move up the coast pretty much right on the edge of the water, meaning it's not going to lose much strength.

Irene's expected to directly pass right over where I live tomorrow. Heavy, torrential rain starts tonight and goes through Sunday morning, with 10-15 inches quite possible. They're calling for up to 90 MPH winds. And to top it all off, the heart of the storm is expected to move through pretty close to high tide, meaning that the storm surge is going to top off already high water. Everything is in place for this to be a really really devastating storm, if not disastrous...probably the worst storm we've experienced in my lifetime.

thedestinedblade
August 26th, 2011, 11:47 AM
When I first started following Irene, I was certain it was gonna strike somewhere here in South Florida, but it took that huge turn and pretty much all we got were a couple showers here. Even though we're prone to hurricanes, we've been rather lucky that last couple years. Last one was about 7 years ago.

marz
August 26th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'm actually surprised at how far up north Irene is expected to come to. Although I'm quite thankful I live far enough up north and west to not be struck by Irene's destruction, I'm very concerned for the friends of mine who live near or underneath Irene's expected path.

The only good news I can see here is that Irene is expected to lower in power, down to Category 1 or lower, by the time it hits the north-eastern coast. Seems North Carolina is going to be hit the hardest with Category 2 winds and rain for a total of 7-8 hours. I wish the best for all those who will be affected by the wrath of Irene.

Tyrantrum
August 26th, 2011, 02:07 PM
The fact that it's gonna completely cover New Jersey is freaking me out. One of my friends lives in New York, and they're being evacuated. So I'm hoping he's safe.

JP
August 26th, 2011, 04:12 PM
It's going to pass through where I live Sunday. Should be interesting, haven't experienced a Hurricane since 2003 and that one didn't feel too bad. We are expected to not have power for about 3 days though, which sucks. Also suppose to be in the eye when it passes over this way, though this is what someone told me, can't be sure obviously. Also, could have sworn I saw on the news that it'll drop to a Cat. 1 by the time it gets to Delaware (here), which would be nice I guess lol.

Shiny Celebi
August 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
For those of you who think people are overreacting...the East Coast (or at least the Mid-Atlantic) hasn't seen a hurricane since Isabel in 2003. That was devastating, and it was only a category 1. Irene is expected to move through as a 2. It's similar to Ike (2008) in both sheer size (it's over 600 miles wide) and intensity, and Ike was a disaster of historic proportions in Texas. And Irene is expected to move up the coast pretty much right on the edge of the water, meaning it's not going to lose much strength.

Irene's expected to directly pass right over where I live tomorrow. Heavy, torrential rain starts tonight and goes through Sunday morning, with 10-15 inches quite possible. They're calling for up to 90 MPH winds. And to top it all off, the heart of the storm is expected to move through pretty close to high tide, meaning that the storm surge is going to top off already high water. Everything is in place for this to be a really really devastating storm, if not disastrous...probably the worst storm we've experienced in my lifetime.
Isabel was bad. Irene is a big storm and it is gonna be bad. Lots of rain, lots of wind, flooding, power loss potentially, this is going to have a big affect on the areas its hitting. My house is surrounded by woods, so Im hoping no trees fall. I just hope there isnt too much damage and that we dont lose power. If we do, I hope it isnt for long, like days. My area hasnt had a storm like this since Isabel in 2003.

Mario The World Champion
August 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I live in Western Massachusetts and I can see that Irene will hit us. I just don't know how strong it will be when it does. The back of my house has some high trees that can easily snap and fall on our house.

2Cool4Mewtwo
August 26th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Basically a glimpse of Irene. (http://news.yahoo.com/2-million-ordered-leave-irene-takes-aim-212056071.html)

Seems serious. I really hope I don't have power outage for a week or something. That's extremely terrible to imagine.

jab2033
August 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I'm quite a ways inland, so I don't think it'll get too bad where I live (northern VA). Still, they are expecting 20-40 mph sustained winds and thunderstorms. My area is supposed to get the worst of it between 5pm Saturday and 5am Sunday.

Thing about Isabelle was that it basically went right up the Chesapeake Bay, and this one is farther East, so I don't think it'll be as bad.

I guess tornadoes from this thing could be a more dangerous threat. I just hope I don't loose power. I need my internet!!

CureYoshiDarkness
August 26th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'm in New Jersey, I'm awaiting it's wraith at the moment...

G.U.Y.
August 26th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Isabel was stronger than a category one and stronger than Irene at landfall.

jab2033
August 27th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Got the first rains from Irene in my area around 10:08am.

Morkula
August 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM
It's getting pretty bad here. The wind is absolutely wicked and it's been raining cats and dogs. The eye is a little over 100 miles south of us, so we're not even getting the hurricane conditions yet - and won't until tonight. Crossing my fingers that we'll keep power, but I'm not optimistic.

Team Fail
August 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
It's getting pretty bad here. The wind is absolutely wicked and it's been raining cats and dogs. The eye is a little over 100 miles south of us, so we're not even getting the hurricane conditions yet - and won't until tonight. Crossing my fingers that we'll keep power, but I'm not optimistic.

Sounds scary. And to think that what you're seeing isn't all that will happen? Eek. I hope you don't have to deal with too much after this storm.

Lie Ren
August 27th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Ugh, this is awful. I'm sooo freakin' out, due to having a number of friends in it's path. @__@ Bugs me because it's like "I'LL HELP YOU D8", but then I'm stuck in freakin' Kansas, and we can't do anything to stop it anyway. I'm just hoping that things don't get too bad. If Virginia and surroundings states lose power, then.. ugh. At least people will have cellphones for a time, but eh.

Team Fail
August 27th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Ugh, this is awful. I'm sooo freakin' out, due to having a number of friends in it's path. @__@ Bugs me because it's like "I'LL HELP YOU D8", but then I'm stuck in freakin' Kansas, and we can't do anything to stop it anyway. I'm just hoping that things don't get too bad. If Virginia and surroundings states lose power, then.. ugh. At least people will have cellphones for a time, but eh.

Well, that is if the towers don't go down. If they still use towers, that is.

Toshiro.
August 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I'm in New Jersey, I'm awaiting it's wraith at the moment...

Same, though its raining pretty hard right now. Waiting for the wind.

Shiny Celebi
August 27th, 2011, 12:20 PM
The power went out for an hour at about noon, I hope since we're supposed to be getting the worst of it tonight, that we wont lose power. We lost the water during that hour too. Mom says if that happens again, she wants to leave the house and go to a hotel where there is running water for the night.

Team Fail
August 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
The power went out for an hour at about noon, I hope since we're supposed to be getting the worst of it tonight, that we wont lose power. We lost the water during that hour too. Mom says if that happens again, she wants to leave the house and go to a hotel where there is running water for the night.

That'd be a plan.... That is if the hotels aren't packed already or closed.

Frozen Flames
August 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Ugh I live in Virginia and I had to exactness to Martinsville, but I just ate really good homemade food at a restaurant that cost really good for me and family and friends totaling nine!

Omg did you see what was on the news!

The News Reporter was standing out in Virginia talking about how Virginians aren't taking the hurricane seriously and a guy walks out of his home behind the cameraman and pools his pants down and the agency or whatever that delays stuff on tv by seven seconds so they can censor it couldn't censor the guy pooling his pants down and showing his junk on tv. ROFL XD

Blue
August 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Fortunetely I don't live in the U.S but I hope everyone is okay over there!

YuDaMan
August 27th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I live near the boston area and it just rained, but it lightened so I guess it was just rain lol.

Cordelia
August 27th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I live near the boston area and it just rained, but it lightened so I guess it was just rain lol.
It's not there yet, it'll be there tonight. It's right off of Virginia right now.

Kevin
August 27th, 2011, 04:30 PM
It was raining this whole day. Not extremely hard, but it wasn't a light drizzle either. No thunder or lightning either. Glad there weren't any power outages.

Buut my sister said that it'll get worse where I live tomorrow. Hopefully that isn't true, but it probably will be.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
August 27th, 2011, 10:08 PM
there have been 10 reported deaths as of this postand hundreds of thousands have lost power...sure looks awful but imagine if it had come as a level two instead of weakening to one...hope there's no more deaths.

Black Ice
August 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Wonder what New York is going to look like tomorrow. Right now it's just empty and rainy.

BlooMilk C.
August 27th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I'm in New York (Long Island, to be specific) and it's raining men, hallelujah! really hard. The winds are pretty fast, but they're still kicking in. There's also some lightning and thunder. I just hope that no one in my area gets harmed so that they can just continue with their lives if they take precaution.

The power here keeps restarting, but it doesn't go out for us, it seems.

G.U.Y.
August 27th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Wonder what New York is going to look like tomorrow. Right now it's just empty and rainy.

I'm going to bet money on that besides broken windows, trees, power lines - you know, the stuff that a normal strong storm would do, nothing will be that different.

Cordelia
August 28th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Got really lucky here, never lost power. Took my family over to my parents and we were all safe. No damage here but soon I have to go home and check it out.

Honest
August 28th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I live in Queens, New York City, which is right next to the heart of New York City, Manhattan, and I must say, I didn't go through much, really. Other than it raining all night, no destruction, no power outages, or any of the like for me. I haven't gone outside yet, so I dunno about the flooding in my area, but I don't live in ANY of the zones placed in New York City (my school was in Zone A though, downtown Manhattan, which is where it was supposed to hit hardest and get flooded... fingers crossed for late school). I slept through the whole thing, and I must say, personally, it was nothing. I do know that this thing caused massive damage down south though, along with a ton of flooding elsewhere in NYC, and my heart goes out to them.

an illegible mess.
August 28th, 2011, 10:21 AM
it just passed me, actually. on friday we were getting rain bands and small gusts of 50 mph wind, but there wasn't massive destruction. my uncle lives in new york city, he said the earthquake wasn't that bad for him, and he's excited about the hurricane (he LOVES storms). i'm still very worried about him though.

Gerudo Wolf
August 28th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Has irene hit any part of NYC at all then?

G.U.Y.
August 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
The hurricane already passed NYC. Just goes to show that my prediction of almost nothing happening and that this was overhyped so much was completely true.

The only thing I have heard so far from Irene is inland flooding and power outages along with very minor damage. No major damage, a death toll of 11 I believe is very low for a hurricane, although still sad.

This storm wasn't strong at all. It was overhyped. Now everyone is just staring at themselves wondering why worse didn't happen.

Gerudo Wolf
August 28th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Ahh thank god thats good then, I have a few friends over there. and i havn't heard from them in a few days. Lucky over here. In england we hardly ever ever get tornados.

G.U.Y.
August 28th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Ahh thank god thats good then, I have a few friends over there. and i havn't heard from them in a few days. Lucky over here. In england we hardly ever ever get tornados.

Tornadoes and hurricanes are two completely different things.

This is a tornado. (http://tornadoquestions.com/images/tornado_pic.jpg) A tornado, at the strongest possible scale is probably a kilometer wide.

This is a hurricane. (http://www.katrina.noaa.gov/images/katrina-08-28-2005.jpg) They can become the size of states/countries depending on the size of the states. That hurricane is obviously way bigger than a single kilometer.

Gerudo Wolf
August 28th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Ahh you learn something new everyday I actually didn't know that, ahh now I feel dumb :/

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
August 28th, 2011, 12:57 PM
The hurricane already passed NYC. Just goes to show that my prediction of almost nothing happening and that this was overhyped so much was completely true.

The only thing I have heard so far from Irene is inland flooding and power outages along with very minor damage. No major damage, a death toll of 11 I believe is very low for a hurricane, although still sad.

This storm wasn't strong at all. It was overhyped. Now everyone is just staring at themselves wondering why worse didn't happen.

The media always seems to overhype these things...among other things.Lucky you guys didn't get the worse case scenerio :)any date on when New york will open up it's subways?

Ice Car
August 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Hey, guys, remember Harold Camping? The guy who predicted the Rapture/End of life on Earth while the internet laughed at him and held parties?

Read this.

http://judgementday2011.com/

"Hurricane Irene just another sign the Rapture is near"
"Earthquake and the floods prove end of the world is near"
"Earthquake in D.C. shakes the East Coast -- Another Sign of the End of the World"

Are you serious? This is both laughable, sad, and maddening at the same time.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/299/3/f/Head_desk___Forkke_by_NeoSlashott.gif

2Cool4Mewtwo
August 28th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I did think the media overreact, but I've had power outage for more than 24 hours and I'm still having it right now. My laptop has 20 minutes left and I had to "borrow" a public internet just so I could do some basic stuff and revisiting pokecommunity, etc. This just sucks.

G.U.Y.
August 28th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I did think the media overreact, but I've had power outage for more than 24 hours and I'm still having it right now. My laptop has 20 minutes left and I had to "borrow" a public internet just so I could do some basic stuff and revisiting pokecommunity, etc. This just sucks.

At least you have internet! Most the people without power are also without internet - for obvious reason.

I once had to go 3 days without power in the middle of winter thanks to a horrible ice storm followed by a blizzard. Yay for lake effect snow. -_- I'd gladly be without power if I were on the coast.

2Cool4Mewtwo
August 29th, 2011, 09:38 AM
At least you have internet! Most the people without power are also without internet - for obvious reason.

I once had to go 3 days without power in the middle of winter thanks to a horrible ice storm followed by a blizzard. Yay for lake effect snow. -_- I'd gladly be without power if I were on the coast.

I've not had internet for 24 hours before I was able to access my computer and internet for 30 minutes at most. It was also frustrating, because our apartment blocks were one of the last to get our power back. (hence "borrowing" someone else's public internet - even then I was lucky to find one)

The experience sucked (If it was longer I'd have gone slightly mental), but at least my school opening day is delayed :cheeky:. I don't know for how long though.

jab2033
August 29th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I personally don't think it was an overreaction.

Keep in mind that they were predicting Irene to be a strong Cat 3 or even a Cat 4 when it made landfall in NC. It was predicted to be a Cat 2 when it hit NY. The reason it weakened was because it sucked in a lot of dry air after turning north and didn't reorganize in time.

The only reason people are considering it an overreaction was because it weakened. Considering the amount of people affected by this storm, I don't think it was an overraction at all.

G.U.Y.
August 29th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I personally don't think it was an overreaction.

Keep in mind that they were predicting Irene to be a strong Cat 3 or even a Cat 4 when it made landfall in NC. It was predicted to be a Cat 2 when it hit NY. The reason it weakened was because it sucked in a lot of dry air after turning north and didn't reorganize in time.

The only reason people are considering it an overreaction was because it weakened. Considering the amount of people affected by this storm, I don't think it was an overraction at all.

No it wasn't. They never predicted it to be a strong category 3 or 4 when it was supposed to make landfall in NYC. They knew that it was going to hit the dry air and wind sheer, that's all predictable.

They thought it was going to be a major hurricane when in hit North Carolina, but about a day before the actual landfall they said it was going to make landfall as a category 2. They were ALWAYS saying that it was going to make landfall in NYC as a weak category 2 at most and that it was very unlikely to be any stronger than a category 1.

A hurricane's strength is highly predictable, and very easily so. It's the path that is more unpredictable.

Landorus, jab2033 said NC as in North Carolina, not NYC as in New York City for the area to be affected by the Category 3 landfall.

Oh.

http://www.ragemaker.net/images/thumbs/HerpDerp.png

Toshiro.
August 30th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I don't think the media overreacted that much, a lot of damage has been done from Irene.

Anyway, I have no damage done by me, but I did lose power for like a day. That sucked, but at least im ok.

donavannj
August 30th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Landorus, jab2033 said NC as in North Carolina, not NYC as in New York City for the area to be affected by the Category 3 landfall.

Considering that it's a hurricane hitting the rarely hit portions of the East Coast with upwards of 60 million people potentially affected, I think the reaction was appropriate. It just seems overblown due the 24 hour cycle news networks operate on, and the fact that the storm fell apart before hitting New York. It still dumped insane amounts of rain in many areas of the Northeast even though it was broken apart.

Sora
August 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Let's not forget the fact that Irene was basically the first Hurricane that really hit America in years. The past few Hurricane Seasons were basically duds. While it may have fallen apart before it his New York, it hit pretty badly in some areas as a Category 3, and with that said the new coverage was appropriate. Now if it came under difference circumstances I would be thinking otherwise.

Honest
September 1st, 2011, 10:26 AM
I have to agree that NYC overhyped this hurricane. I mean, it was a bad hurricane, but New Jersey was what got hit bad, not New York. Truth be told, I think Mayor Bloomberg (mayor of NYC) just didn't wanna risk getting his butt flamed again after the failure with the post Christmas Blizzard. Ah, I remember that day well.