PDA

View Full Version : What were you raised on?

Alli
August 29th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Our parents had good (or bad) taste in music back when they still paid attention to the radio. You might remember hearing their favorite stuff back when you were young. So with that in mind, what music did your parent(s) raise you on? Do you enjoy it today and still listen to it? Feel free to add in other stuff that you see fit.

I was raised on Bon Jovi and Hootie and the Blowfish, myself. And a lot of classic rock I can't care to remember who it was. Gonna go out on a limb and say Kiss, The Rolling Stones, and AC/DC, since that's stuff my dad likes. I listen to Bon Jovi occasionally...probably because if I didn't my mom would disown me lol. And Hootie and the Blowfish are really awesome, and I'll listen to them on my own free will. Though it's funny listening to them now and realizing how dumb I was as a kid, since I got ALL the lyrics wrong. I thought "Let Her Cry" was a really bad version of the alphabet. I thought "Let her cry", "let her see", "let her go", and "let her sing" were "letter I", "letter C", "letter O", and "letter A" respectively lol. I think those are the lyrics. cbf'd looking it up. OKAY. Done rambling. :] Your turn.

Perrie ✿
August 29th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Wow, I can't remember many but I remember hearing UB40, Bon Jovi, Fleetwood Mac, Spice Girls. :x lol It hasn't had much impact on me today since I rarely listen to any of them. I remember going through a phase where I listened to nothing but the Spice Girls. ;o; I occasionally listen to a bit of Fleetwood Mac now and then. :)

Gold warehouse
August 29th, 2011, 03:11 PM
My dad listens to mum music, his favourite musician is Madonna. I like that though, I love Madonna, but then he just has loads of other new wave pop which I don't care for.

And then my mum listens to music as if she were a teenager? She has Linkin Park and Nirvana CDs, then Bauhaus, then ABBA; my parents are crazy. But I credit her for getting me into music; she bought Gorillaz albums for me.

Though it's funny listening to them now and realizing how dumb I was as a kid, since I got ALL the lyrics wrong.
I still do that now lol

Saerith
August 29th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I wasraised on the blues. Ol' Blue eyes and the rat pack ftw :)

Spherical Ice
August 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Definitely brought up on Bon Jovi and U2, with some Eagles, Beatles, Bee Gees and some other stuff mixed in. I like them all quite a lot so it's all gravy :>

donavannj
August 29th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I was raised on a large assortment of music, including, but not limited to, '90s popular country music, Elvis, Survivor, Journey, Survivor, Eagles, Shaggy, Survivor, Bee Gees, the Back to the Future soundtracks, and the songs from the movie version of Grease.

Astinus
August 29th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Oh, the music of my youth.

My mother listens to Neil Diamond, the Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, and other various easy listening bands. My father is more into heavy rock, like AC/DC and Black Sabbath. It was from him that I learned about Journey, which is one of my favorite bands. But I also grew up listening to Phil Collins, Paul Simon, Billy Joel, Elton John, Culture Club, and just various songs from the 80s and 90s.

I still listen to everything today, and the only part of my favorite music lists that didn't come from my parents are the songs that are current (Black Eyed Peas and Far East Movement, for example) and songs from the 80s and 90s, particularly the 90s. My parents just don't "get" that music.

Arma
August 30th, 2011, 12:48 AM
My parents listen to a lot of Soul, R'n'B, Reggae and Salsa, so I grew up with artists like Bob Marley, Lauryn Hill, UB40, Elvis Crespo, The Fugees, Shaggy, Al Green, James Brown and such. I still listen to them a lot, they make good music! =D

Cq9F6OWOF4s7j3Mx4Z7y-cb_EWWrl4Jts

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
August 30th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I was raised on the m80's pop songs that I enjoy today, most from '85 on. Too many artists to list, but I eventually got interested in the older stuff as my parents moved on to other music styles. Much of what I listen to today I fondly remember listening to while in the car as a kid.

Cassino
August 30th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Whatever was on the popular radio stations. I never really listened, it was just annoying.

Esper
August 30th, 2011, 07:15 AM
My parents listened to a lot of "easy listening" or as I called it "elevator music." Lots of really boring music like that. Sometimes they spiced it up with a little Nat King Cole, but I think that was too intense for them because it wasn't that often.

Generally music only played in the car over the radio or from the same two albums they listened to. I think this is part of the reason why I didn't even start listening to music until I was in junior high.

Houndour2005
August 30th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Every evening there was an hour with Heavy Metal on Danish radio.

I also grew up on Laban.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUZdExk3bGQ

Kyoko
August 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM
My mom doesn't listen to much music so she never really played anything for me. My dad however, raised me right with regards to music ha :) My best summer memories from when I was a kid include eating outside and singing to the music my dad played which was: Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Jimi Hendrix, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eric Clapton, Lenny Kravitz, Phil Collins, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and other classic rock bands.

I loved it as a kid but as I went into my pre-teen years I ditched my rock n' roll upbringing (aside from Aerosmith) and listened to the 90's pop like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, N*SYNC, etc.

Then once I hit my actual teens I went back to my rock roots and that's where i've stayed :) I've branched out into other bands like Guns n' Roses, Anberlin, Ozzy Osbourne and lots more but those artists I were raised on have a place in my heart. I still most definitely listen to them and I still credit my dad for my taste in music :D

JP
August 31st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Classical music and Celine Dion. Yep, glad the latter didn't stick around in my later years. I don't remember any of the classical stuff my father listened to while I was young, but I like to think that it helped me develop the taste in music I have today.

Ephemeral Euphoria
August 31st, 2011, 11:40 AM
Video games (Zelda, GTA, Pokeymans, Star Wars, Metroid, etc.), video game music, pop and techno music for the most part (Listened to alternative rock and 90s rap too.), having fun with friends while getting into trouble (Vandalizing, graffiti, that sort of stuff.), reading, drawing, and the occasional anime or tv show as well to name a few things.

Exile
August 31st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Man, this brings me back quite a bit, I recall being brought up on 3 Doors Down, Creed, NSYNC, The Backstreet Boys [and the Backstreet Boys figurines at Burger King!]. Later, I began to listen to Rush after a friend introduced them to me [Rush was all the rage among my friends and I, then], I also recall to Justin Timberlake and The Black Eyed Peas being on VH1 and the Radio quite a bit. In 4th Grade, I started to listen to rap music, and well, haven't gone back since, I remember "Gold Digger" by Kanye West and "Smack That" by Akon where the two songs that really got me into the genre, even though they weren't all that great. I still delve into other genres a bit, but now I primarily listen to rap.

Graceful
August 31st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Well, my parents didn't really raise me on anything, but it was mainly my older sister that I used to listen to music with. I remember if my mum went out shopping or something, me and my sister would sit and watch the music channels like MTV.
The music we used to listen to would usually be pop music, like Girls Aloud, Britney Spears, Christina Agulera, P!NK and all of that kind of music.
My mum got me into liking Green Day and their music in 2009, just before I conned my dad into giving me his ticket xD

TheEvilDookie
August 31st, 2011, 01:49 PM
My parents were pretty strict about school work. They never really let me get out of the house much as a teenager which turned me into a pretty socially awkward person around others. I didn't really get into music until middle school since all I did was either watching the 90s cartoons or playing N64, Gamecube, or surfing the web. But I guess all that turned out well in the end because my life is heading in a good direction and I was able to start an almost completely new social life in college.

Sodom
August 31st, 2011, 06:23 PM
I wasn't brought up on any music. My parents mustn't be musical people, because it's more the TV shows and movies that my mother brought me up on that spell out my childhood. I actually couldn't tell you a song my mother likes outside of John Farnham (Australian singer) but she didn't push it on me as I was growing up lol

Sverige
August 31st, 2011, 07:23 PM
My dad was the only musical parent. It was mostly Queen although somehow I think my mum had ABBA.

mondays suck
September 2nd, 2011, 09:08 AM
That would be my grandfather's classical music for me. My favorite was Händel and right now I feel bad for not having listened to him for ages.
I'm not sure whether my parents listened to music at all or not - most likely they did, but it must have had a far, far lesser influence on my than the above.

jvpski3
September 2nd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Classical, Opera, Easy Listening, Smooth Jazz, and Jazz. NO ****ING RAP CRAP WHAT THEY HAVE NOW. They also gave me some Rock n Roll as well, but very seldom.

Harley Quinn
September 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
The only music I can remember my parents listening to while I was growing up was Duran Duran (my mother was such an 80's child, they're still her favorite band today), Madonna and ABBA, with some Bon Jovi, Nirvana and Michael Jackson thrown in from the father. Not that I think I was 'raised' on them, the main music in the household was whatever was being played on the radio anyway. But since I like the artists I said before, I guess I can say I was influenced by my parents into liking them.
I hate to think what I'd raise my kids on, omg. Most likely Britney Spears, Gwen Stefani, Lionel Richie and every 80's cult classic known to existence, lol.

-Jared-
September 7th, 2011, 06:00 PM
My dad primarily listened to country with me when I was little. That's all I really remember with him. XD And he is still like that. Pretty much all he has listened to, since I was little, is country music, classic rock.

My mom, though, listened to a lot of stuff. I distinctly remember Enya, Ace of Base, Duran Duran, and lots of other '70s and '80s music, along with whatever was popular at the time. She always had '70s and '80s CDs, and we listened to them all the time, in the car, and at home. As I grew up, she still listened to them, but also started listening to more modern stuff.

moments.
September 7th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Well my dad didn't listen to any sort of specific genre really, but artists like The Ramones, The Bloodhound Gang, Beastie Boys, Vengaboys and stuff were the big ones whenever we were in his car. Mum on the other hand was very much just like mainstream 90's pop and stuff. The likes of Cher, Shania Twain, Spice Girls, Ricky Martin and others like that. I still love those 90s dance songs a whole heap, mainly just because I was surrounded by them so much on the radio at least, and they are nostalgic and stuff. But I definitely hung onto Bloodhound Gang from my dad most notably!

Controversial?
September 11th, 2011, 12:45 PM
The only music my dad listened to was classical.

It rubbed me in the opposite direction...I like metal and punk now.

zoo3891
September 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM
My dad listened to a lot of Classic Rock, which I listen to occasionally, and my mom liked 80s/90s pop, which I don't really ever listen to.

marz
September 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I grew up mostly on Bob Marley, the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Natalie Merchant randomly lol. I think my parent's taste in music was pretty awesome lol

Althea
September 11th, 2011, 09:57 PM
On my mother's side, I grew up with a lot of pop and rock hits: Ace of Base, Bananarama, Diana Ross, Bon Jovi, Queen, Aerosmith and ABBA. On my father's side, it was Meatloaf, Black Sabbath, Metallica and a little bit of classical mixed in.

For some reason, both encouraged me to listen to Gilbert and Sullivan, as well...

Know-Nothing Bozo the Non-Wonder Dog
September 13th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I grew up listening to country music. My mother liked pretty much anything country. Which is funny because she NEVER listens to it anymore.

I only liked some of the country music, like the older stuff. Especially music by Johnny Cash, and Kenny Rogers. It's not something I listen to all the time, but sometimes I listen to it and I'm kinda sentimental about it. But for the most part, now I just listen to classic rock, and occasionally I might listen to 80's love songs.

=(^.^)=
September 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Growing up, my mom played a lot of country music. The weird part is when it was bedtime, she'd put on classical music for me to sleep to. So I grew up on this weird mix of country and classical.