PDA

View Full Version : I love you!!!

Gold warehouse
September 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Do you take "I love you" as the most serious expression of affection or do you hand it out to anybody you have an appreciation for?

Raizhu
September 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
I take "I love you" pretty seriously. I reserve it for family and, er, you know.
V Shut the hell up. :p

Folly~
September 1st, 2011, 05:52 PM
I take "I love you" pretty seriously. I reserve it for family and, er, you know.

For me

All kidding aside, I do take it very seriously and will only use it if I'm sure the girl is going to mean alot to me. Otherwise, it's not said. Makes sense?

Shiny Celebi
September 1st, 2011, 05:52 PM
Yes I take it really serously. I usually dont say " I love you unless I really do and mean it.

poopnoodle
September 1st, 2011, 06:37 PM
i mostly say it to my friends when they make me laugh. that's because i love my friends and i love laughing so when my friends make me laugh it's like my fondness for them is amplified. i suppose i throw it around in vain every once in awhile, but when i mean it seriously, that's what context and tone are for.

Truality
September 2nd, 2011, 12:39 AM
Yeap, I take it very seriously. Mostly because everyone around me does as well. To express appreciation, I use other phrases.

PlatinumDude
September 2nd, 2011, 01:02 AM
Sometimes I take the phrase seriously, but I know when it's being used for appreciation.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
September 2nd, 2011, 02:25 AM
I don't take it that seriously... 'cause like, I say that to 99% of my friends irl. o3o

Weeaboo Name
September 2nd, 2011, 02:30 AM
I'm a bit old fashioned so yep, I do very much.

Patatas Fritas
September 2nd, 2011, 02:43 AM
Yeah, I take it really seriously. I only ever say it to family members, friends that are practically family & obviously a significant other or whatever.

Binary
September 2nd, 2011, 03:30 AM
Well, it kind of depends on the context. But, it's not like I hand out "I love you"s to everyone I know; there will be a reason. When I give it out as a serious expression, it'll be pretty obvious from the tone of my voice and the expression on my face.

mondays suck
September 2nd, 2011, 04:22 AM
I'm not even sure if I ever said that for another reason than using it as a humorous variant of "you are awesome" online.
http://immigrate2us.net/forum/images/smilies/sad-smiley-014.gif

Kevin
September 2nd, 2011, 06:59 AM
I would... take it very seriously if they weren't a family member.

Esper
September 2nd, 2011, 08:04 AM
I mean it when I'm the one to say it first. If someone says it to me first I might sometimes reply with a "love you too" or something along those lines because it's hard to think of what to say when someone says "I love you" and you're like me and hesitant to make that same pronouncement. That doesn't mean I don't mean it, but in my mind "I love you" and just "love you" are a little different.

Sora
September 2nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
If I'm among close friends and family, I take the words 'I love you' in a more friendly way, as I say it whenever someone does something I love, or I'm very thankful to them. However, if I'm dating someone, or I'm with someone that isn't as much as a close friend, I would take the words more seriously. On the internet, for me it depends on how it's typed. For close friends it could be either way: "ilu" or "I Love You". But for others the words must be typed out if they want to take me seriously, and I would only type out the words if I'm serious about it myself.

I'm a little confusing when it comes to the word, I suppose. Perhaps it the skeptical part of it that causes it.

Dixie Kong
September 2nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
I take it pretty seriously. There's a difference in "love you" and "I love you" to me. I might say love you to like...two people (excluding family rn cause I mean, that's a given) but "I love you" is usually reserved for one person. Or no one. But yeah, I don't toss around that phrase much. I don't even toss around ily that much.

Fire Heart
September 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
Simple answer here. Yes, I take it seriously.

*Firestar*
September 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
I do take I love you rather seriously, and only use it for family members, or that one special person that means a lot to me. I would only really say it if I thought they'd love me back, and that we both had the same feelings, which is why I say it so rarely. I very rarely get the impression that someone loves me, and it never lasts, or at least so far XD I guess its just me, but hey, if I'm meant to be alone so be it, that's how it goes.

Aquacorde
September 2nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
For me, there are different levels of "I love you", same as there are different levels of relationships. For friends, I say I love you to show affection. For really close friends it's a bit more serious, for my boyfriend it is extremely serious and meaningful.

The words themselves I tend to toss around, but all they are to me is a way to show that I like a person a lot. A lot of love to give, a lot of I love yous to say. The tone is what changes things.

Crimson5M
September 2nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
What is love?
Baby don't hurt me
But seriously though nobody's said it to me so idk.

Mr Cat Dog
September 2nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
For me, words are just words. If you truly do love someone, it's in your actions where the love is going to be felt. Because of that, I guess I'm quite flippant in my usage of the eponymous phrase. I say it to family, I say it to friends (and have it said back to me by both, although in the latter case, it's normally when they're inebriated). I just don't make a big deal of it the way television has conditioned many people to do so.

Owl
September 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Not really. I've seen the word being thrown around, whenever I talk to some of my friends 'I love you!', or 'I love ____'. It's just overused, imo. I'd rather someone prove that they loved me then tell it to me. After all, it's just a word.

Vrai
September 3rd, 2011, 01:35 AM
I rarely ever use "ily" or even like <3 online for any random reason. "I love you" are three words thrown around a lot but half the time don't really convey what it's meant to, especially when you're one of those people who just shout I LOVE YOU to all of your friends all the time. Not to say that it's a bad thing, but I guess when it comes down to really loving someone you'll have to come up with some ingenious ways to prove it in words.

I guess I try to reserve it for when it's necessary. There have been a few times that I have told a friend "I love ya bro" or something of the sort when they've done me a favor and I guess it's more like acknowledging that they're worth a lot to me. There are other times that I say it too, but those are for select people only and definitely those who deserve it. ;) So yeah, I guess I try to only say it to people who I think it needs to be said to, which generally comes few and far between.

I mean it when I'm the one to say it first. If someone says it to me first I might sometimes reply with a "love you too" or something along those lines because it's hard to think of what to say when someone says "I love you" and you're like me and hesitant to make that same pronouncement. That doesn't mean I don't mean it, but in my mind "I love you" and just "love you" are a little different.
I've never really thought about it but this tbh I definitely agree with this, too.

Ink Heart
September 3rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
Well, I tend to take that meaning quite seriously.

Maybe I say few certain "love you"'s to close friends, but I believe there is a difference in all it. The whole word is the difference.

I would expect it from my mom, of course. From others.. not really.

Sterling
September 3rd, 2011, 06:46 AM
I usually toss around an "ily" occasionally to friends, only because they're awesome in my terms. The phrase "I love you" written in full, is considered serious to me. Yeah, I had a few friends say it to me, but not in a serious way. But when someone tells me that in a serious tone, I'll be like, "you're serious, right?" xD

Shining Raichu
September 3rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
I think there are different ways to say "I love you". There is "I love you" in the sense that you say to everybody, and the more serious sense which you save for serious relationships. I use the non-serious version a lot, and when I find somebody to love in that special way I'm sure I'll use it in the more serious way. It's only really gained that serious stigma in relationships, though, because people are so scared to make themselves vulnerable.