PDA

View Full Version : do u use shorthand typing?

shenanigans
September 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM
In chats or texts or whatever, do you use shorthand writing instead of full words? If you don't, why not; do you find it hard to read, irritating to type, or just have too much respect for proper grammar?

And while we're on the topic, what about capital letters and apostrophes in chats?

Gold warehouse
September 4th, 2011, 01:22 PM
yes erry day, why even use the full word? It's not like I have to prove that I'm capable of writing properly, it's far more convenient to use shorthand

I am in the habit of capitalizing I and using apostrophes at all times though, it just comes naturally

Patchisou Yutohru
September 4th, 2011, 01:27 PM
y i h8 it so much when ppl use shorthand typing Almost As Much As I Hate It When People Type Like This. I messed up so many times trying to type that... The only time I generally use shorthand typing is when I'm joking, and it's almost always with people who do the same thing (type like that when they're joking).

[Ghost]
September 4th, 2011, 01:46 PM
y i h8 it so much when ppl use shorthand typing Almost As Much As I Hate It When People Type Like This. I messed up so many times trying to type that... The only time I generally use shorthand typing is when I'm joking, and it's almost always with people who do the same thing (type like that when they're joking).

Lol, what Patchi said! Even in texting I'm using proper grammar.

.,:;'`Ghost`';:,.

Kevin
September 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM
When I text my friends I sometimes type "u" instead of you and "r" instead of are. But that's like it. I sometimes use capital letters and I still do apostrophes (caps and apostrophes are actually auto-text but yeah).

Hybrid Trainer
September 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I tent to use abriviations such as cos and stuff when i'm texting and sometimes when i'm on MSN or another instant messenger but sometimes, like when i'm texting and typing on the computer at the same time i'll slip in the odd cos by mistake. I'll usually correct it if i spot it though.

As for my opinions on shorthand i don't really mind it in post, i don't like it but its their post. But when it really bugs me when people put things like plz in thread titles.

Sammi
September 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I always try to have good grammar, no matter where I'm talking. In texts and IMs I might use a lot of abbreviations because I'm lazy, and I might miss capital letters sometimes, and sometimes I might use "lol" or smilies as punctuation and drive my sister mad, but I spell out everything. I just feel like a bit of a loser when I use shorthand like u/ur/ect.

Ryanna Jameson
September 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I try to have fairly good grammar and spelling, although when typing quickly as I do in chats I tend to be a horrible speller. I also sometimes have grammar issues when trying to get my thoughts across quickly. Basically I try to make everything perfect when I have time to and tend to care less when I don't. /shrug

BareBones
September 4th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I always type in full. I type quickly and I text quickly. I don't need to shorten it down. I also find it difficult to read, and if I type properly all the time it comes more naturally when I'm actually doing something important.

Esper
September 4th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I like to have what I write be legible. To me, that means capitalization at the beginning of sentences and at least a noble attempt at proper punctuation throughout everything. It's those kinds of things which help the eye space things out well. Too many short letters between spaces and a lack of punctuation and it's more work to slow down and try to understand what's being said.

Overlord Drakow
September 4th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Only when I'm texting do I use shorthand typing.

BlooMilk C.
September 4th, 2011, 05:10 PM

This pretty much sums it up for me; Since I don't like chat speak very much since I think it's generally illegible, I only use it when I'm joking or things like "idr", "idc", idk" or "lol". I sometimes don't capitalize in chats, but that's it; I use apostrophes.

Raizhu
September 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I don't usually use it. If I'm on a chatbox, I might leave out a period, but other than that I keep my spelling and grammar accurate.
i mean wut's even the point dis just maks u look less intelligent
And This Is Even Worse

Sodom
September 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
When I was new to the internet, at age 14 or so, I used to type using every shorthand trick in the book. After a while, I felt like it was starting to mess with my IQ a little bit lol, so I decided I'd make the effort to type properly. Now that I do, I find that it's actually less effort to type properly than it is to use the shorthand. Once typing becomes second-nature to you, there's really no need to use tricks to speed up or be lazy anyway. And yes, it now does bother me when people use the shorthand - I find it messes with my head lol

Saryka
September 4th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Nope. I feel like it's too much effort for me to use shorthand typing. Typing out in full sentences is just more natural for me, although I will use some abbreviations like "wtf" or "idk" or I won't capitalize the first letter of a sentence (although I will always capitalize the first-person pronoun "I") from time to time.

Harley Quinn
September 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM
It's only when I'm trying to be ironic that I use shorthand typing, for it annoys the **** out of me and I can't stand it. It takes more effort for me to do shorthand writing anymore, lol. I don't mind abbreviations, but the sentence has to be readable and make sense.

Perrie ✿
September 4th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I can't stand it. When I first joined PC I used to literally type every word like it. ;-; I don't even do it on Facebook/Texts, I may do it on twitter if I need to shave a few characters off a word, however.

Avishka
September 4th, 2011, 11:03 PM
When I chat with my friends I sometimes type "u" instead of you and "r" instead of are.
I sometimes don't capitalize in chats, but that's it; I use apostrophes.

moments.
September 4th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I try and use correct grammar and spelling and stuff. Texting, chats and stuff are no exceptions. Honestly, it just makes it look messy and it doesn't actually save THAT much time, what, you save a few characters per message?

Then again, I can appreciate people who do it, I'm just a bit OCD in that sense... Although, ones like 'u' bug me quite a lot because it literally is two characters... That is like half a second of time if you're on the computer.

Eh...

zappyspiker
September 5th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Majority of the time I use the correct spelling and grammar. It might just be the fact that I fanfic write now so it's kinda been in bedded into me.
Though usually it when I'm on skype where I use short hand.

Mostly for when it's group chat since I need to type fast before the other people in the group chat do. Texting, sometime but rarely since I have the full keypad on my phone.

Patatas Fritas
September 5th, 2011, 01:27 AM
No, I really hate shorthand it's just annoying and half the time I don't even know what people are trying to say when they use it. xD
I use abbreviations like lol and stuff like that, but you'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't of this generation.
I try to use capital letters and correct punctuation in chats and texts but it's more annoying with texts and I just capitilise the first letter at the start of a sentence. In chats I tend to use correct grammar - But it depends who I'm talking too and how lazy I feel on the day.

Mew~
September 5th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I only use it for stuff like idk, or ikr. I don't really use abbreviation like lol or lmao. I like to use full proper words as much as I can to help with my literature skills.

Alinthea
September 5th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I do not; I blooming hate chat speak.
When I see someone typin liek dis, an cutin of dier wurds, somting mus be rong.

*Shudder*

PlatinumDude
September 5th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I don't use shorthand typing even when I'm on YIM because I feel like a noob when I use it. Also, there are times when I leave out periods, but that's because I don't feel like putting the period in.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
September 5th, 2011, 04:52 AM
"LOL" and the like are about all the shorthand I use, and I only use it on occasion. I'm a firm believer in using proper grammar, so I stay away from using chat-speak - unless I'm joking around with my friends or something.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
September 5th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I hate it when people use a LOT of shorthand typing 'cause it's REEEEEALLY hard to read especially for those that has dyslexia. ;w; I do occasionally use shorthand typing such as 'Lol', 'Idk', 'Tbh' and 'imo' but that's pretty much it.. xD;;

Toshiro.
September 5th, 2011, 11:33 AM
When I text I tend to usually spell everything out, maybe a few times use "ur" instead of "your" and little things like that.

-Jared-
September 5th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I try to have fairly good grammar and spelling, although when typing quickly as I do in chats I tend to be a horrible speller. I also sometimes have grammar issues when trying to get my thoughts across quickly. Basically I try to make everything perfect when I have time to and tend to care less when I don't. /shrug

I shouldn't even bother posting here. I should just say "Same as her, like always." XD But yeah, when I am typing an actual forum post, like this, I take the take to spell everything out and make it look nice.

In chats, it all goes out the window. >__> I shorten my words, I makes TONS of typos, and I generally look like my grammar level is that of a worm.

Dr. McNinja
September 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
i use it all d4 tyme u kno, im rly in wit da grammar thin. its rly important to type propaly cos it like makes u sond mor offishal.

Innit.

Ephemeral Euphoria
September 5th, 2011, 12:41 PM
When I can, the character limit here doesn't agree with me on that though lol.

Know-Nothing Bozo the Non-Wonder Dog
September 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I don't use shorthand typing. I don't like to, nor do I really need to. I can type pretty fast so it's not like I need to save time or anything.

But I don't mind when other people do, to a certain extent. As long as I can still read it, it doesn't bother me.

Xyrin
September 5th, 2011, 04:55 PM
i rly h8 wen ppl use cht speak cant u just talk normal

rrly bro

Ugh I hate chat speak. It's horrid. The most I do is not capitalize or not use apostrophes on irc and stuff. Unless I'm joking around of course

2Cool4Mewtwo
September 5th, 2011, 05:01 PM
shrt& typing iz convenient @ times, bt overdoing it makes u look v dumb. I wud advise not 2 typ lik dis unls you're talkin w a clos frend or sth.

Brendino
September 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I can't stand shorthand typing, and it actually makes it harder to understand than if you took the time to fully flesh out your sentences.

Actually, I never used to have much of a problem with it until a year or two ago. I was proofreading someone's essay for them in English, and they actually used both imo and tho (instead of though) in their essay. Really? You're in high school...

OriginGiratina
September 6th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I h8 shrthnd typin n I dnt use it. Y shud I use shrthnd typin if dis ding hasnt gud grammar. I c many ppl speekin lyk dat n I tell em ''Wut r u sayin?''

This thing took me some time to write it. It is funny!

marz
September 6th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I mostly use full words but I do use certain shortcuts like u and cuz. I also use abbreviations like idk and tbh. This is mostly over text and MSN though, not on forums and such. Like I'm actually using capitals, apostrophes and punctuation here but on MSN I never do haha.

Alley Cat
September 6th, 2011, 04:27 PM
the only time i use short hand is when I am texting a long text to someone and i dont want to make multiple messages because it takes too long and i lose my train of thought. otherwise i basically don't use it. like in this post sometimes i dont bother with grammar really. ladidadidaaaaa.~~:*)

wcdaily
September 6th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Well my phone has a full keyboard, (on it's touchscreen.) so I see no problem with spelling my words out, and when I text I usually do it to send a short message, If I want to have a conversation I will call. I really have no reason to do it on the computer either, I can type at a good speed.

TwilightBlade
September 13th, 2011, 08:04 AM
@texting: i do type properly because my phone automatically fixes the issues, haha

@msn/ chatrooms: i type in shorthand case because it is faster. sometimes i type in proper case when i want to be understood a little more.

@ forums: sometimes i do type in all lowercase. do not think of it as being lazy, noob, or whatnot... sometimes shorthand typing is a good indication that the user is tired, rusehed, tense, crampy, idk ! you better watch out when i am typing in shorthand. ;o

Althea
September 13th, 2011, 08:11 AM
*twitch*

Chatspeak and shorthand typing is one of the few things that has the power to immediately irritate me. I use a few acronyms every now and then, although that is more for shortening titles etc, I never use the standard ones like "lol" or whatever; they're conversation killers, because there isn't really anything you can say to them.

Even when I first started posting on forums, I used near-perfect (everyone makes mistakes) spelling, grammar and punctuation, and whilst I don't mind typos and whatnot, chatspeak or anything else is the best way to get on my nerves online. I had it all drilled into me from a very young age, and it isn't a habit I intend to break anytime soon. I can tolerate the occasional shortening of words here and there, but otherwise I have absolutely no tolerance for it whatsoever; my generally easygoing and hopefully passably friendly manner goes right out the window, and I turn very unpleasant. It is just THAT aggravating for me, because I don't really see the need for it. It doesn't take THAT long to type out "you" in place of "u" or whatever.

/mini rant

River
September 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Y U GAIZ NO UHPREESHEATE SHRTHND T_T

I..don't even know. I think I just butchered the shorthand language or whatever. I can't write it, it takes forever, and I can barely read it. I do tend to overuse emotes, though >.>

But yeah, I try to always type normally. It isn't even really trying anymore, 'tis just...normal. Even in chats and stuff, I capitalize and punctuate and all that jazz. It feels like people would look down on me if I used shorthand, like I was just a newb or something. Sooo I don't do it :3 I do change my words around, though. Saying okies instead of okay, saying 'tis and 'twas, saying haii instead of hello, little things like that.

Jovi
September 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I don't bother with capitalizing when I'm in a chatroom.
...Yep. That's just about it.

Graceful
September 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I only use shorthand typing when I'm actually really desperate or can't be bothered. I use 'Ikr' and 'lol' but that's about it, really.
But,I just hate people who use shorthand typing on a regular basis. I also hate people who don't use grammar enough. An example of what people would write (and what I have to live with -_-), just before I literally have an emotional breakdown due to the bad spelling, grammar and shorthand typing, would be like this -
"hi bbe how r u lol dat was funnii earlir 2day im stil laffin lol"

It literally just kills me.

Axeliira
September 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Shorthand typing is just a lazy way for me to type. either i type like this, or jst typ lik dis. ...okay, that was weird. xD It depends on the energy I have for typing, really.

Went
September 13th, 2011, 09:26 AM
When I'm talking to my Spanish friends on MSN, I'll never use accents unless they are absolutely necessary to understand the word. If I'm talking in English, I'll never capitalize the first letter of the sentence unless it's an I. Otherwise, I always try to write as correctly as possible- it doesn't really take that long.

The Corrupt Plague
September 13th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I hate it with a passion. Text speak can be hard to read and it's just plain annoying to have to sift through. It also makes you look uneducated when everyone else is typing out full sentences.