PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if Pinnochio says, "My nose will grow now."?

The Void
September 9th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Another version of the Liar Paradox (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=258161) made to counter the solutions for the other kinds of Liar Paradoxes.

We all know that Pinocchio's nose grows whenever he lies. So what would happen if he says, "My nose will grow now."?

Does his nose grow? Because his nose would only grow if his nose doesn't grow. But if his nose does grow, then that means Pinocchio's nose won't grow since what Pinocchio said was true.

So what happens to Pinocchio's nose?

Actually, it could be possible that the fairy appears and breaks the spell. This sentence might be a way for Pinocchio to counteract the spell. A wild but possible possibility.

Esper
September 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I thought there would be a general question here because the title was put in quotes.

Obviously this question revolves around how you define words, what constitutes a lie, and the nature of truth. But since this is OVP a simple answer should do: at the time he says the word "now" it is not currently growing because the statement hasn't finished being said so it is therefore a lie and his nose will grow very shortly after but not at that moment.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
September 9th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Uhh.. The fairy would appear and break the spell and turn Pinocchio in to a real boy for outsmarting the spell because if his nose grows it means that he was lying about his noes growing but it does grow and if his noes doesn't grow it means that he was lying about it but his noes doesn't grow so yeah. Don't blame me for not making sense it was because I didn't even know what I was talking about. o.o

PlatinumDude
September 9th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Okay, I was meaning to vote for the last option, but whatever

Anyway, I think the fairy would break Pinnochio's spell because when he said his nose would grow, then it could be implied that he was telling the truth. Or he could be lying and the nose would grow or he could be lying that his nose wouldn't grow

Okay, that didn't make sense at all. My head hurt when I read the OP

Kevin
September 10th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Uh... I think his nose would grow, since he said it'd grow and he lied because if it lied...

Nevermind, just let that fairy pop out and break the spell since Pinocchio outsmarted it.

Patatas Fritas
September 11th, 2011, 01:14 PM
The fairy would brak the spell of course. It's like a paradox almost because he's telling a lie but at the same time because he's lying he's telling the truth.

So either the fairy breaks the spell or he explodes from the paradox of the whole situation. Whichever you prefer.

Yoshikkko
September 12th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Paradox, so the fairy would just break the spell or the world would explode.

Althea
September 12th, 2011, 02:08 AM
If I were the fairy, I'd be inclined to make his nose explode for being such a smart-ass; he shouldn't be able to get out of having that spell placed on him that easily.

The Void
September 19th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Okay, I was meaning to vote for the last option, but whatever

Anyway, I think the fairy would break Pinnochio's spell because when he said his nose would grow, then it could be implied that he was telling the truth. Or he could be lying and the nose would grow or he could be lying that his nose wouldn't grow

Okay, that didn't make sense at all. My head hurt when I read the OP

That's what these stuff could do to your head...

Zet
September 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I'm sure the fairy gave Pinocchio paradox-absorbing crumple zones; so when his head explodes, a new one will appear.

Kura
September 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I don't believe that a false prediction or expectation is considered lying.. therefore I don't think it'd grow ._.

TornZero
September 19th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I thought of another way to think of what Pinocchio says: "My nose will grow if I tell the truth." Obviously, this is a lie, so his nose would grow. But, if it does grow, then it will appear that he's told the truth. Think of it from the point of view to the person listening to him.

Brendino
September 19th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I don't believe that a false prediction or expectation is considered lying.. therefore I don't think it'd grow ._.
I agree with this. Pinocchio is making a prediction that his nose will grow by saying "My nose will grow now." If it doesn't grow, he just guessed wrong, but didn't really lie.

I thought of another way to think of what Pinocchio says: "My nose will grow if I tell the truth." Obviously, this is a lie, so his nose would grow. But, if it does grow, then it will appear that he's told the truth. Think of it from the point of view to the person listening to him.
If his statement were worded the way the sentence that I have bolded is, then he would be lying. Because of this, his nose would grow. However, he still told a lie (even if who he told it to doesn't see it that way), because on all other occassions of telling the truth, Pinocchio's nose doesn't grow.

Alley Cat
September 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM
http://www.justsaypictures.com/imagesthumb/divide-by-zero-pt-2.jpg

Sssh! You might break something!!! Like my brain....

Okay. My solution: He says it, and then it grows. When it grows, what he said becomes true, so it shrinks again. It won't grow again unless he says it again.

U_Flame
September 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM
If Pinnochio said "My nose will now grow." The universe will rip apart, his nose would explode, and everything that is everything will cease to exist.

Jak
September 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I think his brain grows, implodes on itself, and then we don't have to worry about the question anymore. The last option in the poll will work too though.