PDA

View Full Version : So apparently gay people don't exist according to this right-wing nut

Zet
September 19th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Linda Harvey, the founder of Mission America, says that LGBT people don’t exist. She made the comments during her weekend broadcast while she was attacking the Gay, Lesbian, And Straight Education Network.

Harvey was particularly perturbed by the GLSEN Sports Program which works towards “creating and maintaining an athletic and physical education climate that is based on the core principles of respect, safety and equal access for all students, teachers and coaches regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.”

Harvey believes there is no need for such a program because according to her, there is no proof that LGBT people exist.

Harvey: “There’s one big fact that’s not backed up. There is no proof that there’s ever anything like a gay, lesbian or bisexual or transgendered child, or teen or human. One of the other things you’re gonna see as I mentioned is a big campaign GLSEN’s gonna roll out this year calling for ‘respect,’ respect! Not just for people, but for homosexual lifestyle. The PR campaign to hold up gay as a good thing: the lifestyle, not the person, because there are no such humans.”

Mission America’s major area of focus is homosexuality from a conservative Christian viewpoint, particularly as it relates to American youth. It also opposes the influence of Pagan and feminist spirituality, and provides a range of apologetics for Christianity.

Linda Harvey is hateful and in denial. There are many LGBT people in the public eye who are living proof that gay people exist like Rachel Maddowz, Barney Frankz, and Ellen DeGeneresz, just to name a few. If you are part of the LGBT community, feel free to contact Harvey and her organization to let them know that you exist.

Mission America
P.O. Box 21836
Columbus, OH 43221-0836.
[email protected]
www.missionamerica.com
source: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/09/18/anti-gay-christian-right-wing-activist-says-theres-no-proof-lgbt-people-exist/

Now I've seen a lot of stupid articles in the news lately, but this one takes the cake.

What is your opinion on this?

Also if you're gay, can I have your stuff since you don't exist? It will help me get over the loss of you

Lalapizzame
September 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
How can you lose what does not exist? ;)

I'm not surprised they would say that. Every part of the political spectrum has lunatics that no one but the lunatics themselves take seriously.

-Jared-
September 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I really am trying to wrap my mind around this, but I think I am failing miserably. Maybe it's because I don't exist? Idk.

SolWolf
September 19th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Gay people totally exist. A couple lives right next door to me, in fact after reading this article, I tried putting my hand through one of them, it didn't go through, so they're real.

Just like Santa and the Easter bunny.

Harley Quinn
September 19th, 2011, 09:45 PM
yeah, gays don't exist
we're in the same boat as jesus
by boat, i mean ark
something else that didn't exist either

Ellen DeGeneresz
lol

Look, everyone has their views, but to completely deny that a group of people exist? How ignorant can you get?

Alice
September 20th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I believe what she's saying is not so much that Gays don't exist, but that you can't, by human nature, be Gay, and have to adopt the lifestyle of your own free will. Iow, she's just saying that it's a choice.
Really it's just a convoluted way to change the definition of being Gay to support her cause. (That's just what I got from this one article though, I haven't heard anything else about this.)

Shining Raichu
September 20th, 2011, 04:10 AM
This calls for the re-use of my "oh no you didn't" gif:

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpljaeanzg1qe9r2fo1_250.gifhttp://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpljaeanzg1qe9r2fo2_250.gif

I agree with QuilavaKing's point. It sounds like she's saying it's a choice, but the way she worded it does indeed call for lols. And really, if she's so ignorant that she thinks being gay is a choice, then she shouldn't be in any profession which involves her talking to other people. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there are opinions and then there are facts - and gay not being a choice is exactly that. A fact. It's not something she - or anyone - gets to have an opinion on.

Impo
September 20th, 2011, 04:40 AM
...Gay people don't exist?

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpn29qI5Fg1qffb31o3_250.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrp1qcdzAg1qbmf8z.gif

I have so many gifs relating to this matter.

...I know some people could not like homosexuality, but to dismiss it (and gay people) entirely is something else.

King Goodra
September 20th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I have suspected this for years, and now I have solid proof. Homosexuality is just another conspiracy theory to overthrow the government and promote global terrorism. Linda Harvey, the voice of the people.

Briar
September 20th, 2011, 05:28 AM
hnnh. that's funny; i thought i saw a gay guy just this morning?
all jokes aside, i think i see what she's trying to say here: that gay people weren't "born that way."

Esper
September 20th, 2011, 07:39 AM
So if you're bi do you only half exist?

Another pandering, ham-fisted attempt to undermine honest attempts to create a safe and supportive environment for everyone just to appease the bigots.

Obviously people aren't really gay. It's clearly not enough for someone to say they are gay and act in accordance with their self-proclaimed stance of being gay. No, no. But I think we need to apply this idea further. Let's take everyone who is, let's say, a Christian. Now, they say they're Christians and they act like Christians, but I think we can all plainly see that they aren't really Christians. Those people with disabilities? Fakers. Did you say you were Asian? Where's the proof? No, I'm not going to take your word for it.

But don't listen to me. I don't exist, and we know what happens when you listen to imaginary people who don't actually exist.

Kura
September 20th, 2011, 08:12 AM
There are tons of misconceptions about homosexuality and gay people, and unfortunately, I believe it'll take a long time to educate everyone on it.
Remember when people would should "He'll catch the gay!" or the fact that AIDS started with "gays"? (When in fact, with a little research, it is found that the most likely origin of HIV began with chimps infected with SIV which the disease then gradually mutated into HIV when butchers were in contact with the blood.) AND the fact that 90% of cases where people contract HIV in a 1st world country is actually through blood transfusion (and another 8% is from a mother passing it onto her child during labour.)

It's ridiculous.. and I wish that people would actually look into the information regarding all of this- and realize, (as a christian especially) that no one should be denied rights or even acknowledgement.

It's a shame, as someone with her "status" should have undoubtably known better. This is just ignorance on her behalf. Regardless of whether people are born gay or "decide" to become gay, they should have no lesser rights than a heterosexual.

BareBones
September 20th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Oh... well. Damn. I guess I don't exist. This is news to me, and quite upsetting. All this time I believed I was real...

On a more serious note, this is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. You can dislike gay people, that's okay, that's your opinion. You don't need to protest against them or deny them rights. You can dislike them the same way as most people dislike someone - quietly. You especially have no need to deny their very existence.

I get that she is simply saying that it is a choice and not something that naturally occurs - even though there is evidence (something about animals taking part in homosexual intercourse, but I cannot find the article about it) that says otherwise. But there are better ways to word it.

The way to get equality is not making the human race all your ideal image of a person.

Blue Nocturne
September 20th, 2011, 09:48 AM
She's 100% correct. I'm not actually posting this. You're all just going mad.

Akarui
September 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
The only thing good about this article is the laughs. What do you expect from someone like Linda Harvey? LOL.

FreakyLocz14
September 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
You're misunderstanding her. She's trying to say that we shouldn't have to pay respect to LGBT children because it singles them out for special treatment on the basis of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity. Being treated equally means receiving the same amount of respect that everyone else receives, not more respect. That's unequal treatment.

I also fail to see what in that article identifies her as right-wing. Nothing tells us her political preference.

Esper
September 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM
You're misunderstanding her. She's trying to say that we shouldn't have to pay respect to LGBT children because it singles them out for special treatment on the basis of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
If that's what she meant to say then she should have said that instead of the nonsense she did say.

Not that I think the idea you propose is much better, but at least it's more straightforward direct. It ain't about special treatment. It's about correcting for negative treatment like how bullied kids need their schools to pay attention and address the bullying. And so on.

Melody
September 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hmmmmm?

Well if, as they say, "Ignorance is bliss" then we should probably try not to burst this poor hater's bubble. By simply feigning ignorance, she's probably confirmed to her peers what they may have already suspected...she's not that smart because she's obviously trying to get rid of a problem by simply ignoring it.

FreakyLocz14
September 20th, 2011, 11:03 AM
If that's what she meant to say then she should have said that instead of the nonsense she did say.

Not that I think the idea you propose is much better, but at least it's more straightforward direct. It ain't about special treatment. It's about correcting for negative treatment like how bullied kids need their schools to pay attention and address the bullying. And so on.

The solution for that is enacting strict rules against intentional bullying. Singling LGBT children out only sends the message that they are weak, fragile, sensitive, etc. and should be handled with care. It makes them look inferior to heterosexuals.

Melody
September 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Well I agree that separating LGQBT children from the rest of the class is a bad idea, that just marks them to the rest of the students and would bring on more bullying whenever a normal child encounters one of these children.

But that doesn't excuse the ignorant statement she made...so personally I think, take whatever you can from her statement but with a grain of salt and move on. There are certainly individuals out there who can do a better job of pulling off what she means.

Yoshikko
September 20th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I don't understand how you can just deny the existence of sexual preference, but also of those people themselves lol. I hope she meant that the labels don't exist and that there is no such thing as BEING GAY, or BEING STRAIGHT, and nothing in between, but she probably didn't mean that lol. Unfortunately.

Dixie Kong
September 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Who is Linda Harvey? Probably doesn't exist. I don't believe in trolls.

Alley Cat
September 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM
You're misunderstanding her. She's trying to say that we shouldn't have to pay respect to LGBT children because it singles them out for special treatment on the basis of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity. Being treated equally means receiving the same amount of respect that everyone else receives, not more respect. That's unequal treatment.

I also fail to see what in that article identifies her as right-wing. Nothing tells us her political preference.
Valid point you make here. A lot of people fighting for "equality" are truly just fighting for the upper-hand. All I want really is the right to marriage. No, not a civil partnership, a marriage. Husband & Husband.

The solution for that is enacting strict rules against intentional bullying. Singling LGBT children out only sends the message that they are weak, fragile, sensitive, etc. and should be handled with care. It makes them look inferior to heterosexuals.
That is also true. But right now, they are weak. If they were strong, then they wouldn't be the cause to their own genocide. (You know, the suicides and whatnot.) Not everyone is weak, and the community as a whole is strong, but many many many individuals are weak. So, if you are only as strong as your weakest player, then the community as a whole is weak until it can make those who are weak among them strong. If that makes sense.

Esper
September 21st, 2011, 08:54 AM
But there is a difference among motivations for bullying. A bully who is just a bad egg and picks on people needs to be dealt with as you would deal with a bully, but one who bullies with the support of anti-gay feelings from large segments of society (like, say, from family members) requires more than just a talking to and a time-out. That doesn't address some of the reasons for the bullying in the first place and if you don't address all the underlying issues you're more likely to see that kind of bullying repeat itself.

If you think trying to address specifically anti-gay bullying makes queer kids look weak then that's your view. I think it shows that queer kids have support against disproportionately higher amounts of bullying and nothing more.

LadySurreal
September 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM
I don't?
<Fades into oblivion>

FreakyLocz14
September 21st, 2011, 07:45 PM
But there is a difference among motivations for bullying. A bully who is just a bad egg and picks on people needs to be dealt with as you would deal with a bully, but one who bullies with the support of anti-gay feelings from large segments of society (like, say, from family members) requires more than just a talking to and a time-out. That doesn't address some of the reasons for the bullying in the first place and if you don't address all the underlying issues you're more likely to see that kind of bullying repeat itself.

If you think trying to address specifically anti-gay bullying makes queer kids look weak then that's your view. I think it shows that queer kids have support against disproportionately higher amounts of bullying and nothing more.

I was raised to stick up for myself and not rely on others for help. In my culture, I'd be viewed as weak if I did that.

Seriously bullying can legally be dealt with by expelling the student if they have been warned and give smaller sanctions multiple times before, as well as criminal and civil penalties. What parents decide to teach their children is within their own discretion.

Livewire
September 21st, 2011, 07:49 PM
Bullying is getting a bit off topic here.

And asking for help is not weakness. If you honestly believe that, you need your priorities re-examined.

Carry on.

Spinor
September 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
I think what this unfortunately radical Christian woman was trying to say is that homosexuality is a lifestyle, and 'homosexual' is an adjective for a person's lifestyle rather than a person. The problem with this is that an adjective that describes a lifestyle is also an adjective that describes a person. Because a description of a 'lifestyle' is a description of how one lives their lives. A person's life reflects a person itself. You cannot live a homosexual lifestyle if you are not a homosexual person. Can you live a vegan lifestyle if you're not a vegan?

So far, one month of Critical Thinking classes is telling me that her argument is complete crap anyways, so I just guessed what she probably intended to say.

So if you're bi do you only half exist?

Schrodinger's cat was bi! Eureka!

FalconsDrummer
September 22nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Wha-...huh? So, is she saying that . . . rather than being attracted to members of the same gender, people who "claim" to be gay are just . . . pretending to be attracted to members of the same gender? I don't really . . . I can't wrap my mind around this. Because it makes no sense.

Is she saying homosexuality is just another myth made up by the left to scare people?
Amurrica!

BlooMilk C.
September 23rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
I have suspected this for years, and now I have solid proof. Homosexuality is just another conspiracy theory to overthrow the government and promote global terrorism. Linda Harvey, the voice of the people.

Of course, it says so in my Bible right here. They will bring ruin to the world! In fact, I think that it was an experiment to stop verpopulation, but went terribly wrong. I guess I'm right now.

guise i don't exist
Like, I'm like all the other fictional people.

Alice
September 23rd, 2011, 09:42 PM
guise i don't exist
Like, I'm like all the other fictional people.
I guess I should be happy that I at least half exist.

Mr. X
September 23rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
The bible? I think that was the name of the book that had all my favorite bedtime stories in it.

Nothing agenst right wing nut's. They are extremely useful. After all, don't want the right wing of a airplane to break off when its flying eh? Airplanes use rivets you say? Um... Quit finding flaws in my otherwise perfect logic. k?

Oryx
September 23rd, 2011, 09:55 PM

Her trying to defund the left (http://blog.mattalgren.com/2011/07/loose-lips-linda-harvey-if-we-want-to-defund-the-left-we-need-to-take-the-teeth-out-of-the-unions/)

Her equating being gay with being liberal, while being staunchly anti-gay (http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2010/10/clearly-the-recent-suicides-have-hit-linda-harveys-nerve-but-at-least-she-still-feels-nerves-dead-gay-teens-do-not.html)

Her claiming that Harry Potter is actually bashing conservatives (https://blogs.emory.edu/rel100/tag/linda-harvey)

I understand not wanting to be on the same side as her, but the best you can do on this one is to let everyone know that she's a crazy and that not everyone on the right is like that. There are crazies on both sides.

aruchan
September 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I'm pretty sure gay people exist. I know a few. xD

Saturday's Child
September 25th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Wow. I guess I'm not typing this, and my church didn't have a pastor for twenty years before seven years ago. Oh, and I guess there is no talk show called "ellen."

And I guess that this ignorant woman who said that all of this is true and right.

I'm sorry, but I am just mad as hell after reading that intro post. Grr.

Black Ice
September 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I can't begin to imagine how courageous gay soldiers are, fighting for a country that is filled with these kinds of people. But that's just the result of the anti-intellectual society we have.

Sunny Castform
September 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Like many posts have pointed out here already, I believe she was saying that to be gay is a choice. But it's still a silly statement as you could apply it to other divisions of people.
Vegans don't exist.
Environmentalists don't exist.
Terrorists don't exist.

I don't know if people are actually born gay or not. And really, I couldn't care less. I wonder if this Linda Harvey was born religious? Because if not, then can I say she doesn't exist?
Oh, and if I don't exist can I not pay taxes and not deal with government procedures concerning my recent immigration? Would make my life a lot easier.

2Cool4Mewtwo
September 30th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Nothing more than an attention *expletive*. At least she's making herself look like one.

assassinjay1229
October 2nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
My next door neighbor is gay, and i'm like 99.99999999% sure he's real
I've also been asked out by a couple of dudes :o, must of been ghosts lol
This lady is clearly nuts, there are plenty of gay people. there are even gay pride parades, how in denial can a person be >.<

FreakyLocz14
October 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
Her trying to defund the left (http://blog.mattalgren.com/2011/07/loose-lips-linda-harvey-if-we-want-to-defund-the-left-we-need-to-take-the-teeth-out-of-the-unions/)

Her equating being gay with being liberal, while being staunchly anti-gay (http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2010/10/clearly-the-recent-suicides-have-hit-linda-harveys-nerve-but-at-least-she-still-feels-nerves-dead-gay-teens-do-not.html)

Her claiming that Harry Potter is actually bashing conservatives (https://blogs.emory.edu/rel100/tag/linda-harvey)

I understand not wanting to be on the same side as her, but the best you can do on this one is to let everyone know that she's a crazy and that not everyone on the right is like that. There are crazies on both sides.

She's crazier than an outhouse rat. Opposing LGBT rights is one thing. That's pretty common among loons like her, but to believe that these people don't exist really makes me question her sanity.

Sevrah
October 5th, 2011, 12:42 PM
There is not evidence of why individuals find themselves to be gay, however it does not mean that they do not exist in the first place.

People that don't believe such people exist, are possibly afraid of them in general, among many other possible reasons.

One word: Intolerance

Massacre.
October 8th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I.... I don't exist?

Anyway, it's things like this that make my head hot and my hands shaky. I mean, if LGBT people don't exist, then how would people like Ellen DeGeneres be here? I see that this example has been used too many times, but overall Linda Harvey is just an insane person. This isn't the first time I've heard something like this.

ArrT
October 9th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Ok so the next time I see a gay person, ill put my fingers in my ears, my hands over my eyes and yell "LALALA YOUR GAY SO YOU DONT EXIST"

PkMnTrainer Yellow
October 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
...It would appear that the woman is not trying to claim that LGBT people don't exist, but that it is a lifestyle, not some sort of "type of human". To be honest, I find the notion that being LGBT is a lifestyle far less offensive than the notion that LGBT people are some alternate creature within the homosapien species.

Perhaps her wording was less than ideal for the concept she was trying to get across?

Regardless... Even if her concept was worded well it would still be kind of ...flawed, though a lot less offensive.

I don't know what's less believable though, the fact that there are people like the woman quoted making arguments this obviously flawed or the fact that this supposedly warrants an in-depth discussion. I mean honestly! Are we really surprised by this? Haven't we demonized the right wing enough by kicking a horse that should idealistically be dead at this point that this sort of thing should come to no surprise to anyone by now? <___>

Oh wait... This is the demonizing at work. My bad.

FreakyLocz14
October 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
...It would appear that the woman is not trying to claim that LGBT people don't exist, but that it is a lifestyle, not some sort of "type of human". To be honest, I find the notion that being LGBT is a lifestyle far less offensive than the notion that LGBT people are some alternate creature within the homosapien species.

Perhaps her wording was less than ideal for the concept she was trying to get across?

Regardless... Even if her concept was worded well it would still be kind of ...flawed, though a lot less offensive.

I don't know what's less believable though, the fact that there are people like the woman quoted making arguments this obviously flawed or the fact that this supposedly warrants an in-depth discussion. I mean honestly! Are we really surprised by this? Haven't we demonized the right wing enough by kicking a horse that should idealistically be dead at this point that this sort of thing should come to no surprise to anyone by now? <___>

Oh wait... This is the demonizing at work. My bad.

I don't agree with the point she's making, but I do think her words were misinterpreted. I don't think even the most homophobic people can deny that LGBT people actually exist.

I do; however, think that this thread is extremely biased and doesn't create an intelligent conversation. It just stereotypes and attacks people with conservative views.

Livewire
October 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I do; however, think that this thread is extremely biased and doesn't create an intelligent conversation. It just stereotypes and attacks people with conservative views.

This woman is a conservative, and a raging lunatic homophobe. The attacks here are centered at her asinine comments, not conservatives in general, nobody has said anything like that. So don't attempt to play that card here.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
October 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I don't agree with the point she's making, but I do think her words were misinterpreted. I don't think even the most homophobic people can deny that LGBT people actually exist.

Yeah... at the very least her opinion is flawed in that she's pointing out a fact that is irrelevant to the final conclusion. Basically her argument seems to be "Dude, your argument is poorly phrased!" in which she proceeds to not only promptly stick her foot in her mouth but fail to provide an actual counterargument.

The internet is also generally a pretty liberal place. I can't say exactly why, but I do have a couple of theories. Every time some conservative sticks their foot in their mouth, you'll find outrage and implied attacks on the conservative belief system using said foot in mouth comment as a stepping stone for propaganda. Regardless, it seems to me that the original article did what news articles are very prone to doing, taking something and twisting it to make a good news story. That or they're a liberal newspaper. I mean, it wouldn't make a very good story if they didn't fly off the handle and assume the worst of her statement, now would it?

"Two people make poorly worded arguments; clarification soothes situation"

Yeah...