PDA

View Full Version : Do you put effort into your signature/avatars/etc

God
September 28th, 2011, 10:32 PM
When, or if, you change your theme, do you put a lot of effort into the theme?

I don't make my themes, but I put a lot of work into finding the right images to use for the themes. If the theme isn't going to be ~fabulous~, then whats the point of having one? Saying that, I think I'm let down by my next-to-nothing knowledge of CSS. My themes usually end up having the same CSS codes, just a different image and different colored text. Thats not to say I don't think they're beautiful, though. I'd love to be able to make my own themes! The people here who wield Photoshop like a god are my heroes, lol. They're always so stylish~

Alice
September 28th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah, my signature is easily the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life... unfortunately, no one else seems to be able to see it.

But seriously, no I don't actually have a theme, and really didn't put any effort into my avatar other than just finding it.

Signomi
September 28th, 2011, 10:43 PM
The signatures and avatars I usually have were made completely by me—I draw the art myself and I also make the graphic effects around them.

So yes, I do put effort into my signatures and avatars, especially when I know it's an avenue where you can show off your personality.

Impo
September 28th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I like my signatures to look good, so I spend some time making them, and coding them.

I'm usually pleased with the results

Drew
September 28th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I never put my full effort into a theme, usually it's half way, or sooomewhat close, but in general I'm usually lazy with my themes. Usually, I take a few minutes and throw together a banner, and sometimes I make my own icons, or sometimes I switch through 92348 of them that I already have. If I like what's in my theme enough, I don't feel like it has to be awesomely made for me to want to use it for a good amount of time.

The most time I've ever spent on banners are probably the Angel Beats banners that I use sometimes. Pretty sure that I spent the most time on them, as well my rotation Joshua TWEWY banners, but even those I didn't use my full amount of creativity / skill on. XD;

PlatinumDude
September 29th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I keep things simple with my signature and avatar. I don't like working too hard with them.

Talli
September 29th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I have to take time to draw out each Ninja Squirrel Squad Avvy/sig for the theme of the Ninja Squirrels. Each take an hour to do so I am pround of them.

Melody
September 29th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I do put effort into my own signature/avvy themes.

Though I tend to go through a process of revision on my signature. Of course I'll find images to use for my signature and I'll edit them down to size for use usually. I don't usually go for making eyecandy in GIMP because it's not worth it always. 9/10 times I can be very whimsical and so this makes for some themes not lasting as long as others.

Of course I always have used CSS in my signature but I take a no-nonsense approach to it. I keep it simple. Very simple. I do however allow myself to re-imagine things a bit when I make a new signature...depending on the size I pick for the image I'm using. Every time you see a new theme on me, you can know for sure that it did indeed take at least an hour to make. I do tinker with CSS a bit to do various things and achieve various effects in browser. I find it easier to take my CSS and re-work it until it works with the image and text content I have in it.

I don't believe in minimalistic configurations that skimp on text usually...I make an effort to list PC relations always, and I enjoy writing alt texts for almost every piece of text I use. So I tend to use all that I can in a signature when possible.

Currently? That gradient the pony is on? Is CSS. Of course I used a CSS gradient generator to make it, but I was able to convert it down to PC-Usable CSS pretty easily. It's also nicely written to work on all the major browsers for that consistency.

In all honesty I wish the signature wasn't character limited to about 28k characters. I'd like to experiment with MORE CSS, but when I try I always run into that limit. :<

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
September 29th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I do use CSS, but the actual CSS code has stayed the same for my past few themes... I've just changed the banner image. I do take some effort looking for some good fanart (mostly of Leaf from FR/LG, but I've done a few of my original trainer character, Pretty Cures, and even a Quality Inn hotel :P) and spend a bit of time in GIMP removing the background/white to fit the image on an attractive background.

So I do put a fair bit of effort into my signatures. Enough effort that I feel the need to save each of their coding in a blog entry in case I want to go back to an old theme in the future.

Cassino
September 29th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I only do avatars. Find source image, crop, add alpha, adjust saturation and levels/contrast, resize; sometimes other things.
Not much of an effort after hundreds of times, even to work with something low-res and/or poor quality.

Oryx
September 29th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I put tons of effort into my signature. I like to think that each theme I have is unique. :)

Forever
September 29th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I can't really remember how much effort, but I know I used to put effort into signatures. Avatars, however, not really.

Actually, this signature even took about an hour to design (lol cause we fussy, aka the signature text took nearly forever and a day to agree on!)

Out of everything I definitely put more effort into profiles overall with this one = bad effort.

Alli
September 29th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Little to none. I used to work on themes for an hour or so earlier in the year, but my preferences for themes have just dwindled since then, and I prefer simple themes, like what I have now. Usually my themes are just a big avatar and random song lyrics in my sig and two words from the lyric that link to my pairs. Maybe some icons above it, but nothing more than that. I wish I still put effort in them sometimes, but maybe my creativity has died some also. lol

Liliana Vess
September 29th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Yup xD
I spend way to long on my themes. My current one took about two hours for the signature, getting the images to float to the left of the words took forever to do xD Not to mention coming up with the colour scheme and finding the right font. As fro the avatar that was about half an hour, but I did practice a lot before actually making the icon so I'm not entirely sure if that counts towards it.
My last signature, the YMCA one, took about 4-5 hours to get to the final stage xD It happened over a few months but overall that's about how long it took me to be perfectly content with it :3

Mew~
September 29th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I try to put in as much effort as I can. I do tend to change them like, every few days, but I still make sure they look nice n' what not. Take my current signature for example, I spent a lot of time making it in photoshop, and then getting the CSS right. So yeah, I try to.

-Jared-
September 29th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Um, I don't, like, put a month into each and every sig, but since I make my own tags, I do spend at least a few hours on a sig, if I know exactly what I am doing. XD Sometimes, I do take a couple days to fiddle around with stuff, either when I am experimenting with the tag to see what kind of stuff I can do, or when I want to try and alter the layout of my signature itself. Lately, I haven't put much effort into the format of the sig, which I would like to change as I have had it this way for ages. .__.

Mr Cat Dog
September 29th, 2011, 10:26 AM
If by "effort" you mean find a suitable image on Google Images for my avatar then... I probably barely do that, to be honest. I just type in what I want to be for the week, adjust the settings so that only 150x150 images come up, copy and paste the URL into the "change avatar" setting, and am done. I don't even have to think about which avatar I'm going to change to, as my waiting list of avatar requests is about two months long.

So, little to no effort done on my end, unfortunately.

Raizhu
September 29th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Sort of. I sometimes have a theme, but right now my avi and usertitle are pretty random. Oshawott and "Fullmetal Idiot" don't really go together.
As for my sig, I put some effort into it. The Raichu sprites took a while.

flight
September 29th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I spent 3 1/2 hours trying to make the animation that I currently have in my avatar(then again, it was my first time trying to make something like this, and I had to self-teach myself a lot of things). And I also spend days and weeks trying to find the perfect stock to make an icon out of.

Yes, I'm very picky on what I should make my themes out of, and I put lots of effort onto them. Nowadays I'm just too lazy to make icons and just go with sprites instead.

Sweet Candace
September 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
My themes aren't spontaneous, and it requires me to think about my theme and I try to make it aesthetically pleasing as possible.

I spend a good half-hour/hour on my theme, and I try my hardest to keep my theme for a month. (Which I broke with my current theme, but I'm making sure my next theme is goes for one month solid.)

Aquacorde
September 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM
The images for my themes never take more than an hour to do. But the CSS I spend wayyy too much time fiddling with and tweaking. I don't really know how much effort I put in though... I mean I never just toss something together, it's always thought about and messed with and changed. I usually just do whatever strikes my fancy and never really concern myself with making it THE BEST or FAB MAX. Just decent-looking. Like my last proper theme was of myself... I like the pic so I did minor edits and tossed it on PC. The ones before that and ones that are on my alts, same thing. Whatever I feel like. And thinking about it again, I'm gonna say say I don't put a lot of effort in. Effort feels like lots of hard or frustrating work, which I never do cause then it's not fun.

Alley Cat
September 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM
My whaaa-? As you can see, I invest no effort into my avatar and theme and whatnot. Never got around to making/requesting one, never found one that caught my eye etc.

shenanigans
September 29th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Not really. I just pick something I'm randomly into, take a crop or two, add some gradient text, some CSS padding and all, and I'm all done lol. And honestly I find it looks alright that way so I'm not bothered about putting in any more work that that.

Tho I don't like my current theme and I should change it.

Tapioca
September 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Nah.

I just find pretty fanart, crop, resize, recolor, add border, done. I'm lazy =w=

Neosquid
September 29th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I usually make my own banners, and I usually do some kind of editing to my avatars. But not that much. I do some work, but not as much as I should.

Cordelia
September 29th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I finally put some effort into my signature, but my avatar I simply resized and added a border. I learned how to do the image within text in GIMP just for my signature!

Know-Nothing Bozo the Non-Wonder Dog
September 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Not anymore, really... I just resize the images and that's about it. I used to make them look nice, but I haven't done anything with graphics in so long that I can't really get back into it.

So yeah, not much effort.

Ash
September 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Yup! Sometimes more than others, but I always put some effort into my avatar/signature in some way shape or form. Either it's making the banner or image that goes into the signature, the avatar, the CSS, the text, and so on and so forth. This current one that I have took quite a bit of time, most specifically with the image and the text.

Of course, I do have times when I just toss things together quickly or just use an older style and edit it, but that's what happens when I'm being in decisive and I don't have a set theme to keep for a while.

Harpalyce
September 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Very much so. I tend to only put things in my avatar and signature that I've drawn. If anything I may get a little too persnickity! For example, on another forum I have an edited animated gif of my version of Shepard from Mass Effect (based off of sprites from Phoenix Wright)... that took me around 2 hours to edit... singing lyrics from eight little speech bubbles that randomly rotate.

Problem? I don't have a problem... >>

Ayselipera
September 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Not at all! I never put up a signature and all my avatars are just randomly found. Often times I don't even like them, but I keep them up because I can't find/I'm too lazy to find another one or the one I have currently just looks better than anything else I've tried.

Also I don't know how to CSS anything or use it or whatever the proper terminology for it is which just gives me more of a reason to not even bother. I don't ever crop, recolor, or make any editing to my avatars because I just can't. Which I'm sure you've all been able to notice this by now<33

Osiris
September 30th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I put a little effort into my avatar, and none into my signature.

I think since I first started at PC, I've had maybe 2 avatars (plus my current one) where I took a picture I found and edited it a bit to my liking. Any other time I just used a random picture that I liked.

I've also had a grand total of one signature (that I didn't even make), and right now I don't even have one. I actually don't even bother with signatures any more, and I have them disabled.

zappyspiker
September 30th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Yup I usually do. I only put as much effort in until I am satisfied with the final product. Whether it's the CSS or simple edits to a stock I don't usually stop till I'm really like the final product whether it is a tag or icon.

Pokemon Trainer Touko
September 30th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I used to spend hours and hours just to decide what theme should I make and coding+making them but now I just can't be bothered. o3o

Hikamaru
October 6th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Yes I do, I often use simple images and make them interesting.

I often like to use Oshawott in my signatures, but don't expect to see any Wikileaks stuff in my signature (I HATE JULIAN ASSANGE!)

Pokea X
October 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I make my own banners and avvys. Nothing special though.

Saryka
October 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I used to put a lot of effort into my themes and Photoshopping them to look good and stuff, but now I just kind of find images, do a little colour editing and voilà. I really don't have the desire/energy to put thought into themes anymore.

Perfection
October 7th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I'm so terrible at CSS. I don't know a thing to it. All that I know is that I'm a looser, and nobody seems to notice it. Haha. I put a lot of effort to my siggy, but my siggy isn't what I actually wanted, so I'll probably change it.