PDA

View Full Version : The staff member's intimidate lowered your attack!

Forever
September 30th, 2011, 08:46 AM
To somewhat compliment my other thread on power. :)
This one, however, is entirely PC based.

(Note, don't say anything rude about anyone etc, you know the drill).

1. Which staff member do you think is the most intimidating? If you're not intimidated by anyone, were you in the past - either with previous staff members or in your early days?

2. If you've been intimidated by certain staff members at a point has it been harder to talk to them due to being intimidated?

3. How easily can you approach staff members in general when asking questions?

4. Do you think there should be more ways for staff and the general userbase to communicate? If so, how?

Also if there are any members who intimidate you, you're free to mention them too, but the thread is primarily about how you feel about staff / user relations.

Gold warehouse
September 30th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have never been intimidated by staff. I used to be worried about ever getting on the wrong side of Jack O'Neill or Superfairy, but now nothing on PC intimidates me.

Question #3: really easy, because I just always go straight to Hiiro or Nick. Simply because I know I will get a straight answer from them. I'm not scared of asking an admin a question, but some of them wouldn't even bother to reply most of the time so there's no point. Nearly all moderators are reasonable too. But I usually don't have questions for admins anyway, if I did I'd go to Arcanine he's a bro.

#4: I just think some admins need to get off their high horse.

Zorua
September 30th, 2011, 08:57 AM
1. Which staff member do you think is the most intimidating? If you're not intimidated by anyone, were you in the past - either with previous staff members or in your early days?

k imma post the staff members im intimidated by and the reasons but no one judge me for it ok. :(

Lightning: I find that a lot of people would be shocked by my answer, but I find Erica to be the most intimidating staff member on PC(this title used to belong to David, but he lost his spot to Erica because I dont find David intimidating anymore :( SORRY DAVID). I don’t quite know why exactly, my best guess would probably be her name color and/or rank, but with that logic, I would be scared of the other staff admins as well…but Erica just sticks out as most intimidating to me. The other staff admins aren’t as intimidating, maybe except for Jake, I get kinda scared when he sounds serious and stuff. XD; Which means..!

Hiroshi Sotomura: Second SA I'm intimidated by. I dunno, I always think he's serious and thats probably why I'm scared of him .XD

Hiiro: I'm only intimidated by Shivi just slightly. :( Same reason as Jake. I have this weird logic that people are serious when they dont use smilies in their sentence. I guess that explains everything...

Ausaudriel: I did mention once on IRC that Audy was least intimidating....I think I was lying to myself at that time. Audy is...kinda intimidating. I'm not so sure why, and I can't put my finger on it, but I do find him kinda scary sometimes. n___n;; I keep thinking he doesn't like me or something, that's probably why.

Luke: Yes, I'm very intimidated of Luke sometimes. He's a really awesome guy to talk to, but I dunno...again, the whole "scared that he doesn't like me" kinda thing that makes me intimidated by him ultimately. I have weird reasons to be intimidated by people, I know. And I think that's it so far.

Patchisou Yutohru: Same reason as above pretty much. ): "he doesnt like me/find me annoying"

Morkula: Same as the above three, I think. Actually....why am I still intimidated by Geoff? :(

Arcanine: Same reason as the above four. The whole "he might not like me/find me annoying" kinda thing. ;__;

DONT JUDGE!!

2. If you've been intimidated by certain staff members at a point has it been harder to talk to them due to being intimidated?

Omg yes. .___. Kinda, I mean, it's not that hard for me to VM them or anything like that, but as far as like asking questions or something, I'm always scared I'm going to get yelled at or something, idk. XD;

I always get nervous when asking staff members questions, because I'm afraid I'm either going to get judged by it or get yelled at for it or something idk XD;

4. Do you think there should be more ways for staff and the general userbase to communicate? If so, how?

Not really sure how to answer this question. D:

Alli
September 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Morkula used to scare the **** out of me, but he's really just a teddy bear. Klippy and Penatrait used to scare me too. idk why. But I find it hilarious now that we're good friends and talk all the time when their usernames used to strike FEAR INTO MY HEART. To be fair though, Penatrait was L'Viaquez at the time, and that's a weird ass name and I didn't know what to think of it, lol. Oh and ummm...what's her name. Color Me Evil was intimidating. No comment on that.

I just used to not talk to staff really. I didn't think they'd reply.

As if I was speaking to my pillow. aka easily because we're not really scary lol

Um I don't know? I myself think I do well. I try to reply to everyone, regardless of status here. That shouldn't be an issue. I'm not above anyone.

Oryx
September 30th, 2011, 08:59 AM
1.Which staff member do you think is the most intimidating? If you're not intimidated by anyone, were you in the past - either with previous staff members or in your early days?
Mmmm, I'd have to say without a doubt Hiroshi Sotomura. xD A lot more people used to intimidate me before I was staff, but when I got onto staff myself I realized that the mods at least don't have a ton more info than the members, or more guidance, they're really similar to members just with more power. So mod stuff stopped intimidating me and it's now just h-staff!

I've actively tried to not let it affect the way I talk to anyone. I still talk normally, I just feel more nervous.

I guess you could say I'm a big believer in questions - even irl I constantly ask questions the second I have one because I have no problem with looking silly by asking a question and I know that most of the time you're more worried about it than you should be. So if I have a single tiny question I usually ask it. xD

I like the way it's been tending more towards openness, especially on suggestions (thank you Nick <33333). I feel like a lot of this is in the member's court - staff is always there, but they can't help it if someone's intimidated by them :<

Yoshikko
September 30th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I think it really depends on the first impression you got from someone. I used to think Nick was pretty intimidating but not anymore.

I remember having to ask Anna something about the Pokémon Claim Thread, I thought she was staff and I was kind of nervous to just straight out ask her (I did it, but still), and when she told me later on that she wasn't staff, I relaxed and realized that it was actually strange that I was nervous at the time, the only thing that had changed for me about her was the status.

Idk I think the staff is pretty approachable, when I have to ask a staff member something I just say to myself that there is no reason to be nervous because I should just be able to ask a question, nothing strange about that. But I agree with Vendak a little lol.

Livewire
September 30th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Before becoming staff, the only Higher Staff I thought was intimidating was Morkula, but now Morkula is my bfffl and once you know him, you will realize he's a giant teddy bear as Syd said and probably the most approachable H-Staff along with Yutohru and Hiiro.

Live used Intimidate

Mew~
September 30th, 2011, 09:17 AM
There aren't any certain staff that I find intimidating. But I do find it hard to approach many staff members, since I'll be afraid they'll think I'm annoying and too busy to talk to me, due to a lot of my VM's to staff being ignored. But that isn't always the case, most of the time I'll get into a conversation with a staff member, but that'll usually only happen because they'll VM me for some random reason. If I want to ask a question, then I'll usually just PM them, I guess that isn't so hard to do due to that being their jobs really. I can't say it wouldn't be interesting for more ways to be put into place to communicate with staff, but I can't really think of any ideas. xD;

-Jared-
September 30th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I don't tend to find the staff intimidating because of their personality or anything (in fact, I really like all the staff here. XD) I find them more intimidating based on how often I see them doing their job, and how they go about doing it. Like, I don't typically go into the art sections or Pokemon sections, so I don't see the mods there doing their stuff. But I hang out around OVP and OC (kind of...more like lurk. XD), so I see Sammi-san and Livewire a lot, so they intimidate me more because I feel their presence more.

Plus, you all do such a good job that I REALLY don't want to mess up, not out of fear, but out of respect for you all, so that's pretty much how you all intimidate me. XD

Oryx
September 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Plus, you all do such a good job that I REALLY don't want to mess up, not out of fear, but out of respect for you all, so that's pretty much how you all intimidate me. XD

This reminded me of something I wanted to add!

Sometimes I get intimidated more when people above me (mods when I was a member, now h-staff) really have a lot of faith in me. xD Because what if I don't live up to their faith? What if I do something wrong and mess up a lot and they end up being disappointed in me?! :( It's easier to exceed low expectations than live up to high ones, lol.

Kevin
September 30th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I used to find Patchisou Yutohru intimidating, but now I don't really care/pay attention.
I also found Morkula intimidating, but if you actually talk to him he's pretty awesome.
And parallelzero was always that quiet admin, which kind of creeped me out. But honestly I'm not really afraid of him.

...Besides that, no one else...

Ayselipera
September 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
In the past I generally just steered clear of all staff members just because I felt like if I said anything it might seem like I was just talking to them because they were staff and I never wanted to be grouped into that. Plus I'm horrible at starting conversations to begin with ogogmgomg.

I just ask Patchisou Yutohru whenever I have a question since he enjoys my presence and all.

Perhaps just actually answering vms from members would be nice.

PlatinumDude
September 30th, 2011, 01:39 PM
1. Which staff member do you think is the most intimidating? If you're not intimidated by anyone, were you in the past - either with previous staff members or in your early days?: The admins in general.

2. If you've been intimidated by certain staff members at a point has it been harder to talk to them due to being intimidated?: Not really. I talked to Lightning over MSN once.

3. How easily can you approach staff members in general when asking questions?: Not that easy because I'm afraid I might get in trouble.

4. Do you think there should be more ways for staff and the general userbase to communicate? If so, how?: I honestly don't know how to answer this, sorry.

Also if there are any members who intimidate you, you're free to mention them too, but the thread is primarily about how you feel about staff / user relations.

Harley Quinn
September 30th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I'm not intimidated by any of the staff nowadays, because they're just members with powers. Though, about two years ago, I would've been crapping my pants if I pissed off Luke or Morkula (which I think I did once or twice). Chibi-chan scared me back then and she still does, ahaha. But I'm friends with both of them now so it's fine. I'm still very wary about getting on their bad sides, though. But saying that, there are a couple of non-staff members who intimidate me a bit, them being Cassino and wakachamo (judging myself rn).

Not really, I just avoided contact with them. Which I guess answers your question?

I don't have a problem at all. My go-to person is usually Toujours, but thats mostly bout signatures and blogs. I don't really ask staff members questions relating to the forum, I just chat.

It's perfectly fine the way it is, lol.

giggling @ the amount of times mork has been/will be mentioned in this thread

Ryanna Jameson
September 30th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Baw idk. Morkula or parallelzero, if only cause I don't think I've had any interaction with them. They are an unknown quantity.

Nah. If I need to talk to them about rules or w/e, not at all. On a personal level it's more intimidation of the aforementioned unknown quantity, which applies to most everyone really.

Easy as reciting the first five digits of pi.

...I think we've got enough communication options tbh.

Xyrin
September 30th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Lol. Why are all you guys afraid of Geoff. :< Geoff's awesome and it was weird when he first PMed me and stuff but now we talk a whole lot. But I was scared of him but I was afraid of all of the assistant admins because they didn't post much.

Um. Is it just me or are Super Mods scarier... Like I can start chats with Staff Admins easily... But S-Mods and Assistant admins scare me. :x The only members of those categories I actually feel comfortable talking to are Geoff... Um Hiiro... And um... That's all. :x The others scare the crap out of me.

I normally don't have many problems but when I do... I'll just ask whoever's on twitter or MSN I'm following or have added. Which is normally Geoff. Or I'll PM some random staff.

I thought I'd like to mention that I feel worse when staff say something bad about me or act like I'm annoying them. It makes me feel extra bad because staff shouldn't be biased and that means what they say is normally an observation, which means others might make the same one as well.

marz
September 30th, 2011, 03:26 PM
The whole staff and ex-staff just skimmed all these posts to see if their names were mentioned. I guarantee you that.

1. No staff member is intimidating to me cuz i know i could whoop their asses irl. cept syd she scares the fok outta me.

2. Not at all, like I said I could whoop their asses.

3. Pretty easily cuz I always imagine myself whooping their asses.

4. Uhh, I think we have the easiest ways of communication set up. VM someone if you want to strike up a chat and if you want to keep it private, PM them. It don't get much simpler. For all the nooblets that wish they could speak to them then you just have to grow balls and do it cuz the staff members are no less human than you are and have personal issues of their own and all dat. And if they take advantage of your painfully obvious noobletness, just remember: you can probably whoop their asses irl.

Exile
September 30th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Karpman's attack rose two stages thanks to defiant! B)

Morkula and Parallelzero. I'll readily admit that Morkula's username is probably half the reason of why he intimidates me, that and he just seems to get the job done quickly and lays down the rules hard. Parallelzero just seems to have a generally strong opinion on certain matters, albeit I haven't really gotten to know either.

I'm not the type of person who just approaches a staff member, I may have done it once or twice in the past. Nowadays, I tend to steer clear of pretty much all higher staff and confine myself to my current group of friends.

I don't really ask questions to staff members, I assume I can either find out the answer by reading stickies, or ask it in CQ/F and get more priority.

Maybe a staff contact section like they have at Serebii, although I don't see that working.

Alley Cat
September 30th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I don't think any in particular are intimidating. The only intimidating thing I felt intimidating was that on like the first day I joined here, the last ten viewers on my page were all staff. 0_0 I be all scurred like then.

It's pretty hard to intimidate me. Especially over the internet. It'd be kind of silly to be intimidated imo. What are they gonna do... not agree with what you say? They can't ban you just because they don't like you. Plus, they have to remain relatively peaceful. Either way, I've learned not to live my life in fear. No fear, bro. All. The. Way. Fear is just a paralysis that stops you from reaching your hopes and dreams. Don't be crippled. I learned you gotta just go for what you want, don't let anyone hold you back. <insert inspirational song/no boundaries kris allen>.

Pretty easy. AVID taught me how to talk to teachers. It's pretty much like that. They are normal people, tend to be reasonable. The way I see it is, if I don't ask, I won't get an answer. So if it's important, then I'll ask.

I don't really see what you could do. Unless you did like some sort of staff interview type thing.. I guess it would help the people get to the moderators better?

MasterLink742
September 30th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I am generally intimidated by staff in general. I treat them as a normal person until I have to talk to them about, well, anything, then I get a bit nervous

That would make sense... I have never directly spoken with a staff member.

Not very easily. As an introvert, one of the things that I worry about is people judging me. When I speak to staff members, or rather consider it, I am afraid people will see that I am talking to staff and judge me as a "suck up" or something similar, stopping me from saying anything.

I think the ways we have now are good enough. There are ideas that I have, but none of them are in a way that would be plausible or, in some cases, understandable.

assassinjay1229
September 30th, 2011, 08:37 PM
1.Which staff member do you think is the most intimidating? If you're not intimidated by anyone, were you in the past - either with previous staff members or in your early days?

This is kind of funny but in my NOOB days (a few weeks ago lol) I saw Live_Wire466 was one of the last 10 visitors to my page, I was freaked out because I thought mods were GODS lol (this is/was my first forum).

2.If you've been intimidated by certain staff members at a point has it been harder to talk to them due to being intimidated?

Nope ^_^

3.How easily can you approach staff members in general when asking questions?

I can approach them as easily as anyone else on PC, I've even become friends with Live_Wire466, TwilightBlade, Spinosaurus, and Twistedpuppy. I've also talked/asked questions to Forever, Meganium90, and Sydian

4.Do you think there should be more ways for staff and the general userbase to communicate? If so, how?

No comment -_-

Team Fail
September 30th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I'm actually still kinda intimidated by many of the h-staff, but I seem to not be as intimidated if I can find some kind of common ground. Jake's pretty cool, plus I found some common ground with him. But I am usually intimidated not only because I don't know of common ground, but also because I don't want to look like a complete idiot in front of people.

That's because I am self-conscious.
I think so. I know there have been a few select times that I have had to talk with staff, but I just try to put on my "professional look" and look presentable. But it's hard when you're intimidated ;_;
It more or less depends on the question that I must ask.
I think there is. If staff members integrated with the rest of the community more, intimidated members may not feel as bad because, as I said, they could find something in common, or they'd just feel comfortable around them because they know they wouldn't be judged.

Hybrid Trainer
October 1st, 2011, 02:03 AM
Which staff member do you think is the most intimidating? If you're not intimidated by anyone, were you in the past - either with previous staff members or in your early days?
Pretty much most higher staff really, like Twilight Sky for a few of theirs I'd be scared i was annoying them :x Also quite a few mods because all the staff is really tightly knit so if I did anything that I thought was wrong I'd immediately start thinking "OMG THEY ALL KNOW AND ARE LAUGHING AT MEEEE D;"

If you've been intimidated by certain staff members at a point has it been harder to talk to them due to being intimidated?
Yup xD There's quite a few staff members I'd love to talk to and seem really interesting but I've never been able to make myself go talk to them because of the above reasons.

How easily can you approach staff members in general when asking questions?
Well if it's a question forum related I'll usually just go up and ask them. I'll probably spend about twenty minutes proof reading the message though and then still wind up spelling something wrong or not making sense xD

Do you think there should be more ways for staff and the general userbase to communicate? If so, how?
Well not really, I think the fear of making an ass out of myself will always be there no matter how many ways there are to communicate.

Zeffy
October 1st, 2011, 02:28 AM
I've lived a whole year at PC being intimidated by anyone with a color in their usernames, supporters included. I was such a small child back then that I thought everyone who has a different username color can ban me just for fun. Oh God, that was a horrible year...

But then Netto proved me wrong. He was probably the first staff member I approached, and I was surprised he can speak my language too! Staff had never intimidated me like they used to before. 'cept maybe Jake, but that should be understood.

Asking help from staff is as easy as opening an irc client and going to #tpc. lol

vaporeon7
October 1st, 2011, 02:30 AM
Jake (Hiroshi Sotomura) scares me a lot. When I first joined I was scared by everyone but Nica, Nica (Forever) is not at all scary. She is the kind of Herdier without Intimidate, she has like Scrappy or something. I just remember to not mention Naruto around Jake. I can ask questions without getting scared. When I first joined I was scared because I thought I was just being an idiot but now it's all good. MAKE NICA REPLY TO HER VMS, I FEEL SAD WHEN SHE IGNORES MINE :(

Oh and Toujours is nice and not at all scary too :)

Went
October 1st, 2011, 02:32 AM
Geoff and David used to scare the hell out of me, until I realized they didn't bite. I'm still afraid of talking to David sometimes though XD

Also, being afraid of Erica is like the most uncomprehensible thing ever. She's like a pink ball of fluff.

zappyspiker
October 2nd, 2011, 01:38 AM
Now? No one really...
Early day: ALL OF THEM - Why? Because PC was my first ever forum and THEY ALL HAD DIFFERENT COLORS - Why else should I not get scared of that :/

Back then when I was very active in the Pokemon Groups section I was slightly intimidated by Midori Chi because I kept asking to close my groups ... waaay to many times </3 2008-2009

Depends who it is, if I've talked to them before it makes it easier than never talking to them previously

Can't really say?

Truality
October 2nd, 2011, 04:02 AM
>Which staff member do you think is the most intimidating? If you're not intimidated by anyone, were you in the past - either with previous staff members or in your early days?
Manipulation, because of his attitude. I didn't find anyone else to be intimidating at all. I more felt like I don't know anything about 'them', rather than something else.

>If you've been intimidated by certain staff members at a point has it been harder to talk to them due to being intimidated?
Not really. It makes it harder to come up with a manner of conversating, though. I could go right now and spam 'yo, staffey' on your profile but that's uncalled for. It's also harder for me to think of what to say when I'm interested in 'them'.

>How easily can you approach staff members in general when asking questions?
I'm used to asking questions either by public posting or on MSN to someone I know, so I guess the answer is 'not often, but easy to'.

>Do you think there should be more ways for staff and the general userbase to communicate? If so, how?
Let's have a MiRC party! (everyone sing nao) Wait, that's not about communication.

Patchisou Yutohru
October 2nd, 2011, 08:08 AM
1. Which staff member do you think is the most intimidating? If you're not intimidated by anyone, were you in the past - either with previous staff members or in your early days? I used to really be intimidated by David (parallelzero) and Scizz back in 2007 or something like that.
2. If you've been intimidated by certain staff members at a point has it been harder to talk to them due to being intimidated? That's what intimidation does! It makes you nervous and it makes it more difficult to talk to someone about something.
3. How easily can you approach staff members in general when asking questions? Oh, very easily. But I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I've been staff for like almost three years or something like that and have gotten to know mostly all of them by now. And I think being hstaff really helps out with that as well. I usually go to someone higher than me when I need to ask something, though. Unless I'm trying to gather opinions for something. Usually I go to Morkula, Lightning, Ausaudriel, and Hiroshi Sotomura, since I talk to them the most out of the admins.
4. Do you think there should be more ways for staff and the general userbase to communicate? If so, how? VMs are pretty good. And I accept anyone who adds me on MSN. I try my best to be open to people talking to me and coming to me if they need something done or to talk to someone.

WHOEVER FINDS ME INTIMIDATING NEEDS TO DROP THAT AND PLUCK UP THE COURAGE AND TALK TO ME BECAUSE I DOUBT YOU'D FIND ME INTIMIDATING AFTER THAT!!!
unless you're derk, who is intimidated by anything that moves...

Jack O'Neill
October 2nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Staff members? Intimidating? Quite the contradiction there. Hell, back in my early days, I actually found it easier to approach them than I do now. I've burned all my bridges since then, though; I'm content to ignore them, and they're content to ignore me.

See above and below. I just don't bother actually talking to them at all.

It used to be that I could easily approach a staff member about anything, but that was long ago. My faith in the current staff's ability to solve problems is severely diminished, and as such, I simply don't bother asking them questions; I know they won't deign to answer them anyway even if I did ask.

Existing methods of communication should more than suffice.

STAFF MEMBER used INTIMIDATE!
It's not very effective...

King Gumball
October 2nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Initially I only really posted in B/W section, so I was intimidated by Kaori and Forever, and also Bobandbill because he gave me my first ever and only ever warning on like my second day here or something :3

Nope XD I'm not scared of the staff here anymore

Easily.... I just ask XD the staff here are all easy going so there are no problems.

Nope I think VMs, PMs, IRC Chat and the CQ&F cover it all.

Kyoko
October 2nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
When I first joined the reds and blues freaked me out a bit, but over time that wore off and now i'm not intimidated at all. In fact, a few years ago almost all of my close friends were on the staff so for me to be intimidated by ~staff members~ seemed ridiculous when I knew a big chunk of them. So no, staffers don't intimidate me but they did when I joined.

the only thing that bothers me with approaching staff now is that i'll find some members who I think are cool and will want to talk to them, and then they'll get modded before I got the chance to talk to them. I was then worried if I popped a random vm by them, they'd think I was doing it just because they were on the staff, not just because I wanted to. This particular case happened to Ausaudriel and Live_Wire for me.

Chikara
October 2nd, 2011, 09:06 PM
NO ONE SCARES ME.
Some of them did in the past, but a few months ago I kinda stood up to a moderator for another member because the mod was being a jerk in some thread blah blah I don't remember what happened. I won. Since then, I'm like "they's people too".

As I said before, in the past yeah. Now, when anyone talks to me, I'm just surprised they're even lifting a finger to click on my username haha ;____; /boring

I don't really ask questions. I'll ask a staff member I'm buddy buddy with if it's like... a simple "can i get away with posting this without getting banned" question. Other than that, nah.

Nah. I mean, some staff could give themselves a more approachable way of typing(if you know what I mean), but there's so many ways for people to talk to the staff, why do we need anything else.