PDA

View Full Version : #@&%!!!!!!!!


shenanigans
September 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Without using any examples in this thread please do you swear a lot?

If so, why? Do you feel it adds more impact to what you're saying, helps show that you're irritated / impressed / whatever, or something completely different and if so, what? And another thing for those of you who do swear, is it a habit you'd like to change or does it not matter very much to you? Also who do you find yourself swearing around most?

For those of you who don't, why not? Do you not believe you need to swear to get your point across, or do you just feel generally unpleasant when you swear? Or again, it might be something completely different. Under what circumstances, if any, do you swear?

And a few general questions.
> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.
> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?

Fire away and yeah uh keep it clean please!

Gold warehouse
September 30th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I swear many times a day on and offline, I doubt there are any days where I Don't swear. It's out of habit, more than anything else. I don't think about saying it, I just do it. I totally do not want to change it; it's just a word, anyone who thinks it's bad is either middle class or uptight for no good reason. I think it's a part of modern culture and there's no reason to reject it or be offended by it.

Only time I hate hate HATE swearing is in literature/poetry; it has no place there and it annoys me so much to see people including it in writing. When you are creating literature you have the entire language at your disposal and using curses is just a stupid cop out when you could choose something so much better. Music and film are different though, it's okay there.

Harpalyce
September 30th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I tend to swear when I'm being earnest (and frustrated)... or when I'm driving.

I'm trying to cut down on the first bit simply because, well, it's not a very good habit to suddenly start cursing left and right: it's something I'd like to control instead of having it control me. People tend to take arguments - however well-reasoned - less seriously if there's an inclusion of a tactical F-bomb.

As for the second case... well...

In my defense those eighteen-wheelers deserved it. :P

-Jared-
September 30th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I don't swear much at all, partially because it just seems weird to me when I do say swear words, and partially because I know that when I do cuss people shut up and listen to me. XD Pretty much the only time I would swear is if someone REALLY got me angry, which doesn't happen often. Of maybe if I got shot or something. Idk. XD

> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
No I do not. I am perfectly fine with it. ^__^

> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.

Again, no I don't. In fact, people who know me and know I don't cuss often will sometimes cuss and then apologize because they think it will offend me. I just laugh and say I don't care. ^__^

> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?
Pretty much, I swear equally in both. XD Maybe a little more online, just because it is more prevalent in my online life than in my offline life.

Raizhu
September 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I say "Dammit" quite often, but other than that I don't actually curse a lot.
> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
Not really.
> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.
It depends. If the person is swearing to express their anger, that's fine. But if they're swearing at somebody, I find that to be pretty offensive.
> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?
I probably swear more offline. But again, it's mostly "Dammit."

Ayselipera
September 30th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I swear a pretty good amount on and offline. I probably do a bit more offline though since it seems more natural just to say a lot of swears then to type them all out in succession if I'm on a rant or whatnot. I don't get irritated by people who swear regularly and I don't find it offensive. Generally speaking though I'll hold back on my swearing if I'm around someone who I can tell wouldn't appreciate it, but those kinds of people usually aren't friends of mine so this only happens in casual conversation anyways!

Not really sure why I swear as much as I do. I mean sometimes I feel as though certain sentences just need a swear in them to emphasize whatever I'm trying to say or sometimes they add humor. Most of the time though if I start swearing a lot I'm ranting about something that annoyed me.

Kevin
September 30th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I don't swear that much out loud. But I have like an inner demon within me with all sorts of crazy thoughts, which includes cursing, rudeness, etc. But outside I'm all quiet.

QuilavaKing
September 30th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I haven't sworn since 9th grade. At all.

> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
Yes, it's pretty annoying. If every other word you say is a curse word, I'm just plain not ever going to talk to you.

> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.
Yes, I do find it offensive. They're bad for a reason. (Why that reason is, who knows, but that's still how I take them.)

> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?
I type acronyms like wtf, but I don't really think that counts. If so, then I do online more.

Sora
September 30th, 2011, 12:49 PM
It honestly depends on who I'm around, just like many other "parts" of me, so to speak. As far as I know, there are only two people that I would actually be willing to swear around, and that's my sister and my best friend. Mainly because I know that don't mind it (because I don't do ti excessively) and they don't find it offensive if I do.

Like many other things, I guess swearing is another way to show how comfortable i am to showing my 'real' self around you. Nothing means that I don't know how you feel about it/haven't really gotten to know you (or I know how you feel about it so I don't do it if you're uncomfortable). Then there is 'freakin' which I say irl alllll the time, and when I'm talking to someone/people I'm comfortable with I'll probably say it every now and then.

As long as the person I'm talking to doesn't say it excessively of offensively to someone, then I don't really mind it. It's just another way to express someone's thoughts and opinions to me. While yes there are other ways to do so, it also shows some personality, I guess you can say.

With that said, I definitely 'swear' more offline than online. I think online I've just begun saying 'freakin or flippin' and I think I've actually stopped (or tried to) because every time I have someone have said that I'm being rude or mean. And people wonder why I don't express myself how I really feel a lot.

Chikara
September 30th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I make sailors blush.

> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
Nah. I only get annoyed if they started cussing a LOT out of nowhere because they think it makes them look cool. I've approached people about it before haha.

> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.
It can be offensive, depending on the context used. Otherwise, honestly bad words are just ways of expressing what you're talking about.

> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?
I'm actually trying not to cuss as much as I have been. But I cuss less offline, just because I only remember not to do it offline haha ;__;...

PlatinumDude
September 30th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I say, "dammit" and "crap" out loud sometimes, but I say the S and F words to myself.

> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?: I don't really mind.
> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case: If you're doing it too much, then it's offensive because people may not respect you much for using too many swear words.
> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?: Not that often.

Mariah Carey
September 30th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I swear way too casually for my own good, online and offline. It annoys me when people constantly use swear words (every few words), but apart that, people can swear whenever they want and not annoy me. It's not the big deal some people make it out to be. I understand why swearing would be frowned upon in very formal occasions, but outside of that? Swear all you want, sailor.

Xyrin
September 30th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I hate it when people swear constantly. Makes them annoying. Everyone once in a while it's okay. But too much is stupid.

I don't swear. I never did. I think that if you need to use swear words to get across your point frequently then you have some vocabulary problems.

Mr. Downstairs
September 30th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Swearing means absolutely nothing. I don't find them offensive or not offensive as long as they aren't used in a derogatory or disrespectful manner. To me, they're just like any other word. I curse moderately, and I really don't care if someone curses as long as they don't throw it in every other word they have to say. That can really get irritating and it makes it seem like they're just trying to impress people around them by showing that they can curse, which isn't at all impressive.

2Cool4Mewtwo
September 30th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I swear quite often, but not like every other word.

> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly? Nope. Not unless in extreme situations.
> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case. latter, because I've been pretty much "desensitized" by it by this time.
> Do you swear as much online as you do offline? Not really. If I did have opportunity to swear in this forum freely, I would do it here, but it's against the rules so I try to stay away from this business.

jvpski3
September 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I sorta get my swearing from South Park, all though it's addicting to watch, but pissed of Comedy Central because they don't play as much anymore.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
October 1st, 2011, 03:51 AM
I swear quite a bit, but actually more around my family than my friends at college...

> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?: I don't mind.
> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case: I personally don't find it offensive, just unprofessional if it's someone who's in some position of power doing it. Among friends, I'm fine with it.
> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?: No, it's against the rules here on PC :P

Sammi
October 1st, 2011, 04:46 AM
I tend to swear a lot offline, but it depends on the situation. At work I am usually good about not swearing when I'm at the front, because that would be bad for customers to hear. When I'm out of work, haha, I do. Online, obviously I don't on PC (I don't even let myself hit the censors) but while on MSN I will. I think I swear a bit less online. I'm not really sure why I swear at all outside of stressful situations. tbh it's probably a bad habit I should break.

I don't care if people swear or not, that's their business. Just as long as they're not one of those people who swears every other word, anyway. So I don't take offense.

Uh, is it offensive? It depends on the word. Some really are, and I try to avoid them (and fail when speaking, online not as much). Others, not so much.

Alley Cat
October 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
I use my fair share of foul words. I do not get irritated by people who use the word every so often. I probably have started swearing just a little too much. What bothers me, though, is when someone is talking to me and I hear. "So, then I <insert swear word>, and he <insert swear word>, so I uh.. <insert swear word>. Just, dude, <insert swear word><insert swear word><insert swear word><insert swear word>." True conversation. .-. Mainly one word in particular.

> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.
Not really. It's my mouth, I'll say what I damn well please. If someone chooses to get offended by it, then that is their choice. I can't control what does and doesn't offend them. I think, that in excessive cases(like the one above) it is quite trashy. It doesn't look good, you should have some class. Curse words aren't meant to be everyday vocabulary, they are meant to be used was they are needed. They are strong words, with strong meanings, and they should be used when you need you get your point across, strongly.

> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?
No. Because I'm typing. Most of my swearing is because I'm just so used to hearing it all around, that it just comes out naturally. Yeah, kind of sucky I know. But it is what it is. I don't say them as often as some people do(haven't said one today.) I think I probably typed a few today, but those pretty much had reasons for them to be.

aruchan
October 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
No, because I swear really, really often.
> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.
I find swearing offensive when they're swearing at me. I find swearing inoffensive when they're swearing with or for me.
> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?
Probably less online than real life. :D

zappyspiker
October 2nd, 2011, 12:32 AM
> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
Before when I heard people swear at my new school which they didn't at my previous, I kinda was annoyed and irritated but eventually when you live through the school you just get used to it as well as change with it.

> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.
Depends really, I mean I can understand if they're joking or if it wasn't directed completely at me. But I do when it's completely direct at me and not in a joking way... hard to explain?

> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?
Haha I swear online than I do offline. Although I tend to try and keep my personality similar offline and online.. the swearing just tends to sway my personalities apart. Even so I try not to swear as much even online

Pokemon Trainer Touko
October 2nd, 2011, 04:29 AM
I swear so much offline I don't even realize I'm swearing o.o I swear a lot online too, especially on facebook :'D I don't get irritated by people that swear regularly because I swear a lot. xD; Aaand I find swearing inoffensive because everyone in my school swears a lot and I kinda got used to it loool

Truality
October 5th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I try my best not to swear, but sometimes word gets spouted out from my rage.

> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
Mm, no, unless the swearing involves insults towards someone I like or God.

> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.
It's offensive, of course. I don't like swearing being passed off as a strong form of emphasis. That's force of a habit. It's a bunch of foul words who have a meaning, why wouldn't it be offensive?

> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?
I swear more online than offline, because things online are a lot more laid-back. Excluding the forums, of course.

Jack O'Neill
October 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God.

But yes, I curse frequently and profusely, both offline and online. I clearly don't find it to be that offensive (depending on the situation, of course), I don't really begrudge people who curse frequently, and I constantly find myself frustrated by the fact that the pervasive censorship on this forum won't allow me to express my true sentiments.

Galukxy
October 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM
> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
Not really, I'm pretty much use to it.
> Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.
I do find it a little bit offensive because I don't like swearing.
> Do you swear as much online as you do offline?
Yeah, but I swear more IRL.

Saryka
October 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Yup. Online and offline. I'd say I still swear a lot, but not as much as I used to. My best friend and I swear the most when we're together but I do swear a good amount around other people, too. That said, I have friends who don't swear and don't really like hearing it so I try to keep it clean around them.

I'm pretty desensitized to people using swear words as long as they're not being rude or derogatory. And I certainly don't get offended by people who swear regularly since I hang out with quite a few people who swear like sailors, haha.

Zorua
October 6th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Eh. I cuss every now and then, I suppose. I normally I don't like it when I cuss, and only do it for situations whereas I wouldn't have any other word to replace it, or I just utilize swear words for emphasis purposes. As far as hanging out with other people, I'm fine with them swearing and whatnot, as long as it isn't like every single sentence and whatnot. x_x;

Pokea X
October 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I do get irritated by people who swear a lot, find it offensive, and actually don't swear at all.

Perfection
October 7th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I. Always. Use. Bad. Words. Or swearing. See, whenever I make a mistake, I always shout out an accidental swear. Sometimes, I do it on purpose, but I recieve a spank on the butt by my mother. At school, I always swear, because my mother isn't there and I feel free. I feel so alive, free, and happy when I swear. I don't get irritated by people who swear. My best friend accidentally said a bad word, and I didn't even care. See, I think I'm a bad influence, and I love it. I don't think swearing is offensive, because, as I've stated before, can make you feel free, and I think that's what democracy is about. Again, I always swear, and I'm a little proud of it.