PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs, Apple Co-Founder, dead at 56 from Pancreatic cancer

Gumball Watterson
October 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'm serious

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/05/us/obit-steve-jobs/index.html

Inb4 terminal disease conspiracy? Well, he did have cancer. This is a sad day for Apple fans, though.

Livewire
October 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Details to follow when available.

Netto Azure
October 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM
http://images.apple.com/stevejobs/images/t_title.png

http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

No matter the technology arms race and PC vs. Mac debates we have, all I have to say is he made it cool to like technology, made MP3's so widespread and having a Tablet cool again. ;___;

AND HE HELPED FOUND AND FUND PIXAR. HE HELPED FOUND AND FUND PIXAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patchisou Yutohru
October 5th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Someone comfort me while I adjust to this tragedy. :'(

Zet
October 5th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Apple has confirmed it: http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

The only good thing I can say about him is he sure did know how to market stuff to stupid people at expensive prices. RIP Steve Jobs, you won't be seeing the days when Apple starts selling stuff at an affordable price for everyone.

Gumball Watterson
October 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Beat ya both to it.

Someone comfort me while I adjust to this tragedy.

If this had happened a few days ago, I'd tell you you'd have the iPhone 5 to look forward to. But then it would have been more disappointing. Timing can be quite a Jynx.

Sweet Candace
One of the "computer godfathers" who helped usher in computers into our homes and our lives. A true visionary, he will be sorely missed.

R.I.P Steve Jobs; 1955-2011.

Bela
/me hugs Nick

It seemed as though this was going to happen soon, considering there had been persistent rumors about his health and his resignation as Apple's CEO. Still in all... rest in peace Steve Jobs.

Kaori
I was seriously shocked when I heard the news. I don't know what exactly to say about this, but it's a sad day. He was sick, and I guess this should have somehow been expected, but this soon? I would have never.

It really is sad, and I expect to hear this news from quite a lot of people from my school, the news, and just everywhere. RIP, Steve Jobs. 1955-2011

Livewire
October 5th, 2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44794300/ns/business-us_business/

Steve jibs has passed away at the age of 56.

Patchisou Yutohru
October 5th, 2011, 04:04 PM
/me hugs Nick

It seemed as though this was going to happen someday, considering there had been persistent rumors about his health and his resignation as Apple's CEO. Still in all... rest in peace Steve Jobs.
His resignation letter heavily suggested that he was nearing his end.

Livewire
October 5th, 2011, 04:06 PM
DAMNIT WHY IS THIS MERGING STUPID

Lalapizzame
October 5th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I agree with Patchisou.

He had been in decline for years, his resignation was simply a sign of things to come.

Ziggster
October 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM
RIP Steve Jobs. Apple will not be the same. He almost single handedly re-shaped the way we live our lives.

Stronkadonk
October 5th, 2011, 04:10 PM
This honestly made me sad... I now do not hate my MacBook Pro, regardless of it screwing up. I'mma keep it forever :/

Mario The World Champion
October 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I'm not an Apple fan. I don't have any iProducts, but losing someone to cancer is a very tough and sad time. I just didn't expect Steve Jobs to die all of a sudden, but I didn't expect my Dad to die all of a sudden as well.

Condolences to Steve Jobs' family and friends on his passing. He was a rare genius in computers and business.

Harley Quinn
October 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
...Wow. This a complete shock. Of course something was wrong when he resigned, but... wow. Rest in peace, Steve.

Toshiro.
October 5th, 2011, 04:31 PM
This is really sad news. I really didn't expect this.

RIP Steve Jobs. Apple will not be the same.

Alli
October 5th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Shocked really. I'm not an Apple fanatic, but I do like Apple products and funny thing, today I was really considering to start saving for an iPad. No doubt this man changed the world and the way things clicked. One of the heroes and legends of our generation, really. RIP Steve Jobs.

This better be in my kids' history books by the way. Or I better be teaching this to elementary kids when I'm a teacher. Like I said, the guy's a legend. Deserves a place in curriculum really. I mean, his products are already a teaching tool.

-Jared-
October 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I didn't even know he HAD cancer! ;-; I will be praying for his family...And man, this is such a shock! I figured he stepped down so he could relax. D:

Patchisou Yutohru
October 5th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I'm so proud of the fact I have an Apple inspired username that just so happens to be a username that I've kept the longest out of all the usernames I've ever had. Funny thing to be proud over, I know, but something I think people who know me will understand and appreciate.

Bluerang1
October 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I told my sister half an hour ago that I finally give Apple props as the iCloud is just a genius idea. I told my parents I want an iPhone 5, well 4GS now. I was finally turning around and wanting to start "Thinking Differently", then I hear this. May he rest in peace.

Zorua
October 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM
.___.; I'm not so sure what to really say about this. Like Sydian said, I was also kinda considering saving for one of their products too...

RIP Steve Jobs.

Kura
October 5th, 2011, 04:59 PM
One of the "computer godfathers" who helped usher in computers into our homes and our lives. A true visionary, he will be sorely missed.

R.I.P Steve Jobs; 1955-2011.

Not only this; he's helped to shape the world. All forms of communication and media wouldn't have been the same without him. His time came way too early. RIP Steve Jobs.

marz
October 5th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I've got as much respect for Steve as the next guy, but anybody else think Apple is taking his memorial way too far? They're practically sucking the guy's.. u know. Terrible picture, too lol.

But in all seriousness, Steve Jobs was a genius and not only is he no longer CEO of Apple, he will have absolutely no say in what advances Apple makes, not even as a consultant. Very sad. But the man made his mark on the world and will always be remembered for that. Wozniak on the other hand...

Zet
October 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I wonder how Bill Gates is taking the news. And I wonder if he will do anything special in memory of his good friend.

Team Fail
October 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM
He had many visions that revolutionized communications as we know it. Apple- No, the world will not be the same without him. My condolences to his family, and may he rest in peace.

/needs hug

Lucy Lu
October 5th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Truly a sad day for the tech community. I cried when I heard the news. I knew he was very sick, I didn't think his time will come so soon. He was truly a genius and inspiration to all. He made me realize that even though their products were overpriced, they pave the way of technology as a whole. I love my iPod Touch and iPad. Two great devices. He will be truly, truly missed. Rest in Peace Steve Jobs. My condolences to his friends and family.

Pavel95
October 5th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I'm deeply saddened by his death. He will be sorely missed, and he truly changed the world of technology. I know I shouldn't be crying, but I am. :'(

Cilerba
October 5th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I honestly don't know how to word how I feel about this. It sucks, it really does. Apple will never be the same without him there.

Patchisou Yutohru
October 5th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Bill Gates released statement saying "I'm truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs' death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work. Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives. The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come. For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it's been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely."

Zet
October 5th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Bill Gates released statement saying "I'm truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs' death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work. Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives. The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come. For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it's been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely."

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Gates does something else to make sure everyone remembers who Steve Jobs was.

Also do you have the link to that?

Exile
October 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Gates does something else to make sure everyone remembers who Steve Jobs was.

Also do you have the link to that?

It's right here (http://www.thegatesnotes.com/Personal/Steve-Jobs), I believe, but regardless, that was quite a heartfelt message from Gates and shows the level of respect the two had for each other.

On the topic of Steve Jobs' death, well this is truly a tragic event and it's sad to see such a revolutionary in the field of technology leave this world, may only the best happen to his family and friends.

twocows
October 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Death is death; it's sad whenever a person dies. My condolences to the family and friends of a very successful businessman.

Harley Quinn
October 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/margiejphelps

..Sigh. If anything is to be believed by this, the Westboro Baptist Church is going to picket at Steve Job's funeral.
Look, regardless of how he acted as a businessman or how he should have used his platform as one of the most influential people in technology, he shouldn't have to have these sickening people protest at his funeral. This is just stupid.

Zet
October 5th, 2011, 06:43 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/margiejphelps

..Sigh. If anything is to be believed by this, the Westboro Baptist Church is going to picket at Steve Job's funeral.
Look, regardless of how he acted as a businessman or how he should have used his platform as one of the most influential people in technology, he shouldn't have to have these sickening people protest at his funeral. This is just stupid.

It's best to avoid reading anything Westboro related to save brain cells.

LadySurreal
October 5th, 2011, 06:54 PM
R.I.P Steve :( My first computer was a mac.

Alli
October 5th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Westboro still exists? Don't they hate anything and everything that's outside their walls?

leews24
October 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Today, is a sad day.
I am no Apple fan, in fact I hated Apple's recent actions against competitors.
But Steve Jobs was amazing.
Like it or not, mankind has lost another amzing man in history of IT.
Without him, Android, WP7, BB would not be all here. He had created an amazing new market.
RIP Steve Jobs, MobileTech maniacs like me will miss your sayings like "7inch tablets are a fail".

However I am seriously worried of Apple. Although I do hate iOS(iPod,iTouch,iPhone,iPad), as I am a big android supporter, I do not want to see Apple go downhills.
To me it looks like it is.
Tim Cook, please do a good job. And quit suing Samsung.

CureYoshiDarkness
October 5th, 2011, 07:15 PM
At least it is known that he died peacefully at home, surrounded by his family.
Rest in Peace, good sir. May your soul be at peace.

leews24
October 5th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I can't tell if you're serious or not about this sentence, considering smart phones existed before the first iphone.

I'm serious. iOS showed how good a smartphone can be.
It was a major stepping stone in history, the release of iPhone.

TJgamer
October 5th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Such a great minded person.
He'll never be forgotten.
R.I.P

Jorah
October 6th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I almost cried, I thought it was really sad. Rest in peace, Steve Jobs.

Mr. X
October 6th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Isn't it iRonic that Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple, died of something with the initials "PC"?

RubyJB88
October 6th, 2011, 07:34 AM
There never has been a CEO who put so much passion and heart into his creation. Face it, without Steve Jobs and Apple, there would be no Angry Birds, one of the most popular app downloads in iOS. I'm going to miss the way he talks. Especially in his keynotes.

I actually shed a few tears, though I hardly knew the guy. Looking at my Macbook Pro I feel like hugging it [awkward]. I found this really nice wallpaper of the Apple logo, but the bite resembles Steve's silhouetted face. It's the best I could do as a tribute.

Hikamaru
October 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM
This is just a tragedy for the technology world.

I listen to my trusty iPod Nano as a tribute.

He was called the "Thomas Edison of the 21st Century".

So many people paying condolences, including celebrities, IT figures and politicians (i.e. Barack Obama, Mark Zuckerburg, Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, even Australia's own PM, Julia Gillard)

Sheep
October 6th, 2011, 07:57 PM
This came as quite a shock, and I wasn't even a big Apple fan. I hope he rests in peace; he more than deserves that.

A Pixy
October 7th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Frankly, I never cared for Apple.

However, Jobs is one of Pixar's three founding fathers so, I'm very saddened. :C

Mew~
October 7th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Regardless of what I think of apple. I have to say, he was certainly an icon. RIP.

Sodom
October 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM
/late

This is terribly sad news for the entire world. I hear that he had been sick for quite a while, though, so at least he is out of pain now. It's always terrible when someone who changed the world so profoundly meets an untimely end. May he rest in peace.

Houndour2005
October 9th, 2011, 05:55 AM
I'm not much into Apple, but such a shame.

May he rest in peace.

pokefreak51
October 10th, 2011, 07:41 AM
It seems unreal. He was only 56. I hate cancer. I’m submitting my thoughts and pictures to the Steve Jobs living memorial wall via [email protected] Title is subject line, add the photo as attachment, and body is where you say what’s on your mind.

Zet
October 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Update: Steve Jobs has died from respiratory arrest

Even though it doesn't change anything, I thought you should all know.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
October 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM
It took me a long while to think of what I wanted to say about this as someone who never really paid a whole lot of attention to Steve specifically. I do not like Apple at all, but I can say with good heart that I never allowed myself to hate Steve by extension. I never expected him to die so quickly after leaving the company. It did come as a bit of a shock, but I suppose cancer can do that.

I suppose I'm not really sure what to say. It's... sad.

shenanigans
January 6th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Bumped. By an adbot. How wonderful.

-closed