PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic rats cured with their own stem cells

Zet
October 6th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Another long article but an interesting read. (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21019-diabetic-rats-cured-with-their-own-stem-cells.html)

Now if we were to do this with humans, there would be an outrage of how "immoral" it is. I know I've heard that human stem cell research is immoral but can anyone tell me why it's immoral?

Alley Cat
October 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I do not believe that stem-cell research is immoral when it comes to things such as curing Diabetes, many others feel the same way. My problems with it come in when they try to A) Clone People for Organs and B) Make People. There are some things we just don't really need to do, no matter how many benefits there might be. Creating human life is one such thing that I believe humanity has no right to dabble in. Let the universe take its course, it's made us perfectly capable to survive for longer than anyone can remember.

To answer your question in shorter terms: People don't believe we should play "God" by creating life. I am one of those people.

Shiny Celebi
October 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Another long article but an interesting read. (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21019-diabetic-rats-cured-with-their-own-stem-cells.html)

Now if we were to do this with humans, there would be an outrage of how "immoral" it is. I know I've heard that human stem cell research is immoral but can anyone tell me why it's immoral?

Some people view it as immoral because it involves creating Human embryos soley for the purpose of producing stem cells. These people believe that destruction of Embryos is wrong because they believe life begins at conception.

Stormbringer
October 6th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Yet another way to save thousands of lives that will take years to go mainstream becuase of backwards thinking like that. It's a shame.

You can get viable stem cells for things like this, as mentioned in my thread.

Lalapizzame
October 6th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I agree with Alley Cat. There are certain boundaries in which stem cells can operate for me.

-Jared-
October 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Yet another way to save thousands of lives that will take years to go mainstream becuase of backwards thinking like that. It's a shame.

You can get viable stem cells for things like this, as mentioned in my thread.

This is exactly what I thought. People get "stem cells" mixed up with "embryonic stem cells".

Because, and correct me if I am wrong, you can get stem cells from living people, right?

PkMnTrainer Yellow
October 7th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Stem Cell research is not immoral. Nobody has ever technically claimed that. People get angry at stem cell research because of the methods used to get the stem cells, not because of the concept itself. We are currently trying to find less immoral ways to get stem cells.

See, in the article you presented, the stem cells are not gotten from embryos. They're literally from the nose. >3>

A short wait today for a permanently better tomorrow. Sounds like we stole a real bargain to me.

femtrooper
October 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I am a HUGE supporter of stem cell research. This is what could very well be the cure for many things and help out humanity, however, people (mainly religous folk) believe otherwise... Stem cell research for the win, literally, like it could save millions of people, but again religion holds us back. Absolutely ridiculous.

Stormbringer
October 12th, 2011, 07:39 PM
This is exactly what I thought. People get "stem cells" mixed up with "embryonic stem cells".

Because, and correct me if I am wrong, you can get stem cells from living people, right?

You can get stem cells from any system in the human body. Bone Marrow is an especially great place to get them from.

Shiny Celebi
October 12th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I dont have a problem with stem cell research if it can cure Diabetes, a chronic illness that affects millions of people and kills people. What if this is the only cure? Id say its worth persuing if it can help millions of people affected by this illness.

littlebrother
October 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I'm of the view that it's good to research, but science will find a way to make it replace instead of cure the problems stem cell research is proposed to fix.