PDA

View Full Version : Huge Eruption on the way?

Azure
October 13th, 2011, 04:09 PM
So those of you from Europe will be more familiar with this story but I'm sure it would have been heared of all around the world as it had a great impact on the world.
Last year in April 2010, an Icelandic volcano named Eyjafjallajokul erupted, It wasn't a seemingly large volcano but what it produced was devastating, so major that it cancelled ALL flights in and out of Europe for several days and cost the economy over £1 Billion.

However now there is an even bigger threat as a volcano not far from Eyjafjallajokul is expected to erupt some time soon scientist and volcanologists warn as signs have been showing up such as increasing and intensfiying earthquakes around the area. It's name is Katla and it is approximately ten times larger than Eyjafjallajokul which makes it much more dangerous. It usually erupts twice a century however, the last eruption of Katla was 93 years ago as it last erupted 12th October 1918 when it did it melted ice sheets, blocked out sunlight and killed crops across farmlands over Europe. We are majorly overdue for an eruption and the longer it takes, the more powerful the eruption will be..

What is your take on this? do you think this is a cause for concern? or is it a hoax that will blow over within a few days..

littlebrother
October 13th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Yet another tectonic calamity to look forward to.. I understand the cause for concern but sometimes I think we get battered by news like this way too much.

marz
October 13th, 2011, 04:45 PM
It's definitely cause for concern. Even if it Katla doesn't errupt in the next year, Iceland should still be preparing for a possible eruption. Better safe than sorry, really. If Eyjafjallajokul was measured as a small eruption and managed to cost the country over $2 billion, you can only imagine how much damage Katla would do to the society. Without proper preparation, the effects would be devastating.

Azure
October 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM
That's my thought exactly.. it's going to happen sooner or later especially due to the fact that it's overdue. It's out of our control, alls we can really do is wait and prepare ourselves because like you said, if Eyjafjallajokul is strong enough to cause the damage it did and Katla is ten times stronger well, it would be catastrophic and it potentially could effect the whole world, or the majorty.

Lance
October 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Oh god. We can't catch a break. Iceland has a great Geological task force, being a country prone to volcanoes and earthquakes, so hopefully they'll make the right call and play it safe here. I'd rather everyone be evacuated for nothing than have everyone die.

Mariah Carey
October 13th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I was wondering if Katla would erupt, because Eyjafwhatever and Katla are 'twin volcanoes' or something like that, if I remember correctly. They're supposed to erupt within a close time frame of each other. Iceland better be ready for another devastating eruption and the rest of Europe should be on their toes too.

Azure
October 14th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I was wondering if Katla would erupt, because Eyjafwhatever and Katla are 'twin volcanoes' or something like that, if I remember correctly. They're supposed to erupt within a close time frame of each other. Iceland better be ready for another devastating eruption and the rest of Europe should be on their toes too.

That's true, I remember reading an article saying Katla follows shortly after and has the past 3 eruptions within a space of 1-2 years.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
October 14th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Wow,this type of news does seem common these days...makes the people who say the world is going to end a bit more credible...
Anyways let's hope that it isn't truely devastating or as wide spread as feared.

daigonite
October 14th, 2011, 04:50 PM
If they're recording increased seismic activity, its a sign that people probably should be taking this seriously. I don't mean crazy rations seriously but people shouldn't blow it off either. Iceland is a notoriously seismic region so it shouldn't be shoved under a table.

Azure
October 14th, 2011, 04:58 PM
There's been signs throughout 2011 and it's a slight coincidence that it's becoming more seismicly active shortly after a nearby Volcano erupted. Unfortunately, I think there's a good chance it might erupt within the next few months if the seismic activity doesn't subside.

littlebrother
October 14th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Right in time for the holidays. Nice.. That's gonna make it all the more of a disaster to Europe, especially considering all the other factors.