PDA

View Full Version : Outrage after toddler run over, ignored.

Owl
October 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Chinese express horror at public indifference to toddler hit-run victim

Surveillance video of passersby ignoring the plight of a Chinese toddler hit-and-run victim has sparked international expressions of shock and horror--together with a bout of soul-searching in Chinese society.
The video is obviously disturbing. It shows a 2-year-old girl who was run over by a van that then drove off, leaving her bleeding on the street in the city of Foshan, in China's southeastern Guandong province, on October 13. For the next seven minutes, passersby ignored the injured toddler, who was then hit by a second vehicle.
Video of incident, since aired on Chinese television and posted to Twitter and Chinese social networking sites, shows "more than a dozen people over the next seven minutes walk or drive past the girl on bicycles" as the girl is then "run over by a second truck," Reuters Michael Martina reported (http://news.yahoo.com/hit-run-china-sparks-soul-searching-114932177.html) Monday. "A woman then pulls the girl to the side of the street before her mother, a migrant worker in the city, rushes into the frame."
The girl is now in a coma and hospitalized, Reuters reporting, citing a dispatch from China's state-run Xinhua news agency.
"Both drivers who ran over the girl have been arrested, Xinhua said, but Internet users have flooded microblogs decrying the apathy of the people who left her for dead," Reuters wrote.
"The shame of the Chinese people," wrote one user, Xiaozhong001, on Chinese social networking site Weibo, Reuters reported. "Really, what is up with our society? I saw this and my heart went cold. Everyone needs to do some soul searching about ending this kind of indifference."
"Many people in China are hesitant to help people who appear to be in distress for fear that they will be blamed," Reuters' Martina wrote in his report. "High-profile law suits have ended with good Samaritans ordered to pay hefty fines to individuals they sought to help."

When I read this, I honestly felt pretty ticked. I mean honestly, nobody helped her after the first car hit her, then a second car hits her and the driver doesn't care? The world ticks me off sometimes. Opinions?

Alli
October 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Wh...why would you do that? :( I couldn't even read the passage without squirming. Poor baby. Where are her parents in this? Just terrible. Shame on the passerby in this also. I find that person worse than the drivers that hit her, to be honest.

Harley Quinn
October 17th, 2011, 04:18 PM
At least she's alive...
That poor, poor girl. Why weren't her parents around? You don't leave a 2 year old child alone by a what was clearly a busy road, because stuff like this will happen. But dear god, those pathetic people who just left her there. Terrible, worthless people.

-Jared-
October 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Wow. Just...wow. This is just...Jesus crimeny people, a little girl is lying on the streets bleeding to death! What is wrong with you? 0__0

Also:

"Many people in China are hesitant to help people who appear to be in distress for fear that they will be blamed," Reuters' Martina wrote in his report. "High-profile law suits have ended with good Samaritans ordered to pay hefty fines to individuals they sought to help."

First off, just grab the little girl, pull her to safety, and shout "Call 911" (Or whatever it is in China). That way people will know "Hey he/she obviously didn't do this" -__- Unless I am missing something here...

And second, if this is the case that is even more messed up that people have to worry about getting in trouble for helping someone. >__<

2Cool4Mewtwo
October 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Usually when something (mostly minor) happens to a stranger on the streets, I don't want to get involved and take responsibility, but ignoring something like this is unforgivable. And don't say that because "it's China." Look up Arce Torres - 78 year old man who got hit by a runaway driver and NOBODY tried to help him until minutes later (Incident happened couple years ago in CONNECTICUT). How humans can be so careless and indifferent makes me sick, especially when I hear news like this.

Wings Don't Cry
October 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM
This is actually all related to some old Chinese lady a few years back who fell over and some nice stranger helped her out and she sued him for everything he had. After that no one is willing to trust strangers any more since all they know it could be a trap to get them sued. But honestly I just don't get why the parent wasn't around.

Alli
October 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
This is actually all related to some old Chinese lady a few years back who fell over and some nice stranger helped her out and she sued him for everything he had. After that no one is willing to trust strangers any more since all they know it could be a trap to get them sued. But honestly I just don't get why the parent wasn't around.

My God, that's weird. :| In regards to the parents though, I kinda realized that the fact the child is a girl, she might be an orphan.

Zet
October 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
here's the video of what happened. I recommend not to watch it if your stomach churns easily.
v/Ys9DPhAMJr0
(skip to about 1:14)
I wonder where the parents were when this happened though.

Weeaboo Name
October 18th, 2011, 02:31 AM
The little girl ran out of the parents shop.

I saw the video on another site and it was horrible. I guess this is another case of the Bystander Effect. Human psychology can be scary sometimes.

Aizuke
October 18th, 2011, 03:27 AM
What the hell, that is bloody horrendous. The poor little girl, and I can't believe that all those people could just walk pass her and leave her there on the verge of death. My faith in humanity has sunk to a new low. I mean, heck she's only 2 years old, I'm pretty sure a kid that age wouldn't sue, and I'm sure her parents would have been forever grateful if those people had saved their child.

I mean, if that would ever happen to my nephews and nieces, god forbid it ever would, I would be extremely pissed off at all the people who just left them there to die. And the first car knew it hit something and didn't even check to see what it was and continued to run over the poor little girl.

To fear helping someone in distress? That's stupid and obviously means people don't give a crap or value others lives. The world seems too selfish these days and it sickens me. Everyone fends for themselves and leaves those who can't help themselves, the strong prevail over the weak.

My thoughts go out to the little girl and her family, and I hope she recovers okay. I don't think the parents are to blame, children can be a unpredictable at times. I know what it's like, but I still do keep an extra eye on my nephews and nieces. It must be devasting to the little girl's parents. Even just watching that made me want to cry.

Edit; Actually, a friend just told me that apparently the little girl died, because the injuries she sustained to her head were too much for her. Freaking world.

The girl, known as Yue Yue, died yesterday after slipping into a coma following Thursday's accident. The vehicles struck her after she wandered out of her parents' shop in Foshan, part of the southern Guangdong province near Hong Kong.

linku (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/passers-by-ignored-dying-child-who-was-run-over-twice-in-street-in-china/story-e6frf7lf-1226169281030)

Binary
October 18th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I haven't taken a look at the video yet, and probably won't. I'ts just heartless really. How could anyone have done nothing about the poor little girl who was left bleeding in the middle of the street? For SEVEN MINUTES. That must've been like an eternity for the poor girl. I can guess that she must have screamed or something.

And then she was hit by a second vehicle. That's just depressing. You can't really blame the parents for the entire accumulated accident, but I mean.. they should've kept her close by. I can't imagine parents not being able to notice their child run off somewhere.

The girl, known as Yue Yue, died yesterday after slipping into a coma following Thursday's accident. The vehicles struck her after she wandered out of her parents' shop in Foshan, part of the southern Guangdong province near Hong Kong.

That is just... ;___;

Diamond1304
October 18th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Oh....My.....God. I feel like vomiting right now. I heard the news immediately when it came out (since my time-zone's similar to that of China) but oh gosh, I didn't watch the video. My heart really aches for the little poor soul. She DIED because of the people's self-centered "not-my-business" attitude. Really what is the world coming to? And it's much more heartbreaking to have the fact that she was not only run over ONCE, but TWICE by another utterly BLIND driver. This also reminds me of a video I saw months back of all the traffic accidents caught on the traffic camera. I would have posted it but I can't find it now since I can't type in Chinese on the computer.

This...I don't know what to say. How on earth in the first place do these people get their driving license? It's really heartless to say the least. That's the word- heartless. Oh dear, I think I'm going to have nightmares soon. ;__;

Esper
October 18th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I'm going to admit that if I were there I might not have done anything. First, I'm squeamish about blood and that sort of thing. Second, I would be afraid that I'd make things worse by trying to help. I know I'd call for help though. (Okay, so I'd do something after all... at least I hope I would and not just assume that someone else had.) Of course it's still absolutely horrible.

As for why someone wasn't watching her... it said the girl's mother was a migrant worker and from what I understand of that situation in China it's a pretty crappy life of working all the time for almost nothing and you're happy to have that much. I wouldn't be surprised if the mother had no spare time and no one else to watch over the girl.

Owl
October 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
here's the video of what happened. I recommend not to watch it if your stomach churns easily.
v/Ys9DPhAMJr0
(skip to about 1:14)
I wonder where the parents were when this happened though.

linku (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/passers-by-ignored-dying-child-who-was-run-over-twice-in-street-in-china/story-e6frf7lf-1226169281030)
I swear, people honestly tick me off to the point where I'm starting to hate humanity. Honestly, who the hell would do such a thing?

Yangcheng Evening News quoted the man who first struck Yue Yue as saying, "If it was you who hit someone, you'd run too. You can see the little girl, looking around when she walked. If she walked properly, how could I hit her?"

Hell no I wouldn't run. How is a two year old supposed to know what's going to happen? I honestly want to go to China just to run over those two guys, twice, and then see how they would react. If they survive, which hopefully they wouldn't.

(=Nemesis=)
October 18th, 2011, 04:03 PM
There's a lot of apathy evident when this sort of thing happens, but I think the key ingredient is fear. We're taught to fear strangers and, to a lesser degree, to fear responsibility. So when this kind of thing happens and people pass by, they ignore it because it's not their responsibility, don't want to get involved, etc.

I remember a biology teacher telling my class quite plainly that if she encountered someone injured on the street, that she'd avoid him for fear of HIV or other blood-transmitted diseases. I was as disappointed then as I am now.

Aizuke
October 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I remember a biology teacher telling my class quite plainly that if she encountered someone injured on the street, that she'd avoid him for fear of HIV or other blood-transmitted diseases. I was as disappointed then as I am now.

Being a teacher, they should know better. You don't have to touch someone who's bleeding, all you need to do is call the ambulance. In fact you shouldn't be even moving a person's body if they're hurt or bleeding, in case you do more damage than what has been done. If people are scared of that sort of thing, like encoutering diseases, you still shouldn't leave someone alone who's dying. The most important thing to do when someone is injured is call for help if you have no experience at professional first aid.

Melody
October 18th, 2011, 07:53 PM
What gets me is that the least they could have done is stand in front of her and called the ambulance. Stopping the second car from hitting her would have been the least they could have done, and a good start...even if they were too scared to touch the girl for fear of worsening her injuries.

No one who witnessed that had a viable reason to avoid assisting the child. It's pathetic that they think that their reasons were enough.

twocows
October 19th, 2011, 04:37 AM
This sort of thing happens all the time. It's not surprising, but it still upsets me. There's a quote by someone along the lines of "evil occurs when good men do nothing." Stuff like this just makes me sad.

PelipperMail
October 19th, 2011, 05:20 AM
This is just very, very wrong. But it reminds me of something that I read about conformity the other day: there was one a woman that was beaten, sexually assaulted, and no fewer than 50 people heard her, and no fewer than 15 actually saw it - but according to leading psychologists, bystanders and witnesses didn't do anything because nobody else was. In effect, the first person to witness it, and not do anything about it, essentially starts a "chain" because people will follow their actions, and they will assume nothing is wrong.

Now, I'm a bit of a 'pussy' and I'm not really keen on watching any footage, so I would like to know, did people walk passed individually or in a group?