PDA

View Full Version : Detroit-area father has his 9-year-old daughter be a designated driver

deoxys121
October 19th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Brownstown Township, MI -- The 9-year-old girl, sitting on a booster seat behind the wheel of her father's large van, asked the police officer why she was being pulled over. After all, she had been driving well. She even used her turn signal. Twice.
"She was doing fine," Brownstown Township Police Detective Lt. Robert Grant said. "And, in fact, as heinous as this is, the little girl looks at the police officer and says, 'What did you stop me for? I was driving good.' Incredible. Obviously, the officer told her she was too young to drive."
It was 2:46 a.m. Oct. 8, and the girl had just left a Citgo gas station at Telegraph and West.
In the passenger seat was her 39-year-old father, suspected of being drunk, police said.
The father, Shawn Weimer, 39, of Brownstown Township now faces charges of felony child abuse and being a habitual offender. A preliminary examination is scheduled today in 33rd District Court in Woodhaven.
The Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20111018/NEWS02/110180337/Child-driver-9-tells-cops-driving-good-dad-drinking-whiskey-all-night?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE) could not reach Weimer or his attorney Monday.
On store surveillance video, Weimer brags to a clerk at Citgo about his daughter.
"I got a designated driver," he said. "Nine years old. Nine. Dad, drinking. Listen, we're leaving, and she's driving."
At one point, the girl said, "And I parked," as Weimer told the clerk the girl drove all the way to the store.
Police learned about the 9-year-old from a caller who watched the girl get behind the wheel and her father get in the passenger seat.
"She's like 7 years old, driving," the caller told the 911 dispatcher. "She's got her turn signal on and she's turning right on Beech Daly."
The 62-year-old New Boston man, who asked that his name not be used because he fears repercussions, said he noticed Weimer talking loudly to the clerk at the gas station, calling his daughter his "little angel."
The man said he and the clerk remarked that the man seemed drunk.
"I said, 'That's nice -- he's got his little angel and he's going to drive drunk.' And (the clerk) said, 'No, he's not driving -- she's driving.' "
The New Boston man followed the van west on West Road and called 911.
"She's driving pretty good, I'm telling ya -- I can't believe it," the man told the dispatcher.
Officers caught up with the girl at King Road and pulled across the intersection as she approached.
"She's right there and put her turn signal on," the caller said, chuckling. "She just went left. She just went right past your cars -- she's still driving. She's going west on King."
Officers finally pulled over the pair near Dean, Grant said Monday.
Weimer told officers he was teaching his daughter to drive, Grant said.
"He was argumentative with us, that it was his right to teach his daughter how to drive," Grant said.
The girl told officers her father had been drinking whiskey all night, took her out to drive, and then decided to stop at the station, Grant said.
The girl's parents are separated, and she was with her father for the weekend, he said.
At the police station, Weimer refused to take a breath test, Grant said.
He was charged with second-degree child abuse, a four-year felony, and fourth-degree child abuse, a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail.
He also was charged with being a habitual offender and could be sentenced to up to 15 years in prison if convicted.
The habitual offender charge stems from Weimer's convictions on four felonies: receiving and concealing stolen property, unarmed robbery, felon in possession of a firearm and felony firearm, Grant said.
According to the Michigan Secretary of State's Office, Weimer was convicted of operating while impaired by liquor in connection with an October 2007 crash in Wyandotte and had his license restricted for a year, spokesman Fred Woodhams said Monday.
Weimer currently has a valid Michigan driver's license with no points, Woodhams said.
Judge Michael McNally of 33rd District Court arraigned Weimer on Oct. 10.
McNally gave Weimer a personal recognizance bond, with the conditions that he not have contact with his daughter and pay $25,000 if he does not appear in court.
Wayne County Child Protective Services also is investigating the case, Grant said.
Source (http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/article/195445/1/Suspected-Drunk-Father-Has-9-Year-Old-Drive-Van)

I thought I'd seen some of the lowest of the lows from people, but when I saw this on the news last night, I was shocked. This man, drunk out of his mind, was having his 9-year-old daughter drive him around in a big van. Where he slipped up was when he bragged to the convenience store clerk of how good a driver his daughter was. The convenience store in question is literally 3 miles down the road from where I live. Other people who live in the Detroit area probably saw this, as well. Glad to know that this man is being charged for child abuse and is not allowed to see his daughter. There's a video in the link if you want to check it out.

Shiny Celebi
October 19th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Thats horrible, I hate how irresponsible some adults can be. Even though she may have been driving good, she's too young to drive. Some parent he is.

Forever
October 19th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Don't kill me, but I heard it earlier and I thought it was kinda adorable. Like I know it's illegal and dangerous, but the fact that she could drive so well at that age, well... goes to show she'll have experience when she obtains her licence when she's older. :x I know I certainly wouldn't be able to drive at 9 (nor now, considering I haven't tried yet), so congrats to her. Not the best thing for her father to do, though, next time hopefully he'll just get a friend, lol.

Dixie Kong
October 19th, 2011, 09:37 AM
This sounds so redneck. I was surprised this took place in Detroit, and not like...Alabama or Mississippi lmfao. At least she has a good driving future. As for her dad, his future is kinda ruined. That's what you get for being illegally efficient. :3c

Oryx
October 19th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I mean yeah yeah this is bad and all but...no one got hurt, etc., so it's fine imo to laugh at it. xD

Gold warehouse
October 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Yeah the daughter is adorable, and yeah nobody got hurt, but that doesn't mean it's not that big of a deal. The girl could have died if there was a crash... bless her little heart, but her dad is an idiot.

2Cool4Mewtwo
October 19th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Where he slipped up was when he bragged to the convenience store clerk of how good a driver his daughter was.
What a plonker... :facepalm:

And if he has a driver's license, then he should know when the legal driving age for that respective state is... :double facepalm:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
October 20th, 2011, 06:59 AM
He was stupid enough for having her drive in the first place, but even stupider for (a) stopping at a gas station where they have surveillance cameras that would record who got out of which seat, and (b) bragging to the employee inside the store.

And that's a pretty big van... I don't know how she could've seen over the dashboard and reach the pedals. One also has to wonder what her dad had her doing while he was getting drunk... did he leave her in the van for hours or bring her into the bar? Either one, I don't think it would be very good for her...

twocows
October 20th, 2011, 11:14 AM
This sounds so redneck. I was surprised this took place in Detroit, and not like...Alabama or Mississippi lmfao. At least she has a good driving future. As for her dad, his future is kinda ruined. That's what you get for being illegally efficient. :3c
Have you ever been to Detroit? I can safely say that it's the worst city in the US.

That guy's pertty irresponsible.

Otter Mii-kun
October 20th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I was so baffled when I first found out about this. What the heck was this man thinking!? Why didn't he ask someone else of age to be his designated driver?
The fact that he let a 9-year old drive and then bragged about it at the Citgo was an immediate red flag.
Have you ever been to Detroit? I can safely say that it's the worst city in the US.Flint, Saginaw, and Grand Rapids are pretty bad also. The school systems in all four cities (especially Detroit and Flint) are dysfunctional train wrecks also.

Alice
October 21st, 2011, 01:31 AM
He seems to care about his daughter, and she didn't seem to be against it, judging from this article... so I don't know if you really should consider that child abuse... I don't know what else to call it though.

One also has to wonder what her dad had her doing while he was getting drunk... did he leave her in the van for hours or bring her into the bar? Either one, I don't think it would be very good for her...
Yeah, that's true... we don't really have the full story I guess.

FreakyLocz14
October 21st, 2011, 01:35 AM
He obviously knew that his daughter is a good driver. Age ain't nothing but a number.

Bluerang1
October 21st, 2011, 06:30 AM
She drives better than me :/ I'm sort of jealous. Regarding the dad, meh. No one got hurt.