PDA

View Full Version : Media fear merchants

ben cousins
October 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
i'm an ''aussie'' and the media here is devolping a fear approach like in the states. i assume most of yous are''yankees'' so what's your view on this. i think it's annoying and very ''american''[no offence] i'm not saying americans arn't smart just..........watch fox news from australia and you'l understand how it feels, i mean as if foreigners are inherently ''evil'' ETC.

Black Ice
October 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM
protip: don't watch fox news

also your point, it is not very clear.

ben cousins
October 20th, 2011, 11:12 PM
protip: don't watch fox news

also your point, it is not very clear.

i don't but i've seen clips and boy is it dumb also politicans, old people etc. are copying republicans it's very sad and dont give me this ''Australians are inherently dumb'' crap, most are immigrants from second / third world countries trying to make a decent life for themselves and the news used to be libreal etc. the ''aussies'' you see on the news[oprah] are our version of rednecks- we call them bogans[' it's amazing what 5 seconds of another countries culture can teach you. oh and we have american breakfast news at like 4pm in the morning and it sucks.

psyanic
October 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Are you trying to say that the "fear approach" in the media is developing in Australia? This is new?

The media does not try to strike fear but tells news that is usually negative. They can say a lot more about what someone did wrong rather than when they got it down right.

ben cousins
October 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM
i'm not saying our media used to be perfect but now it's just crazy if you don't believe me go on youtube and type in today tonight add it's almost as funny as fox news

marz
October 24th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Well get used to it, buddy. Even if the media loves to dish out the "fear," you've got to do your own research and see what it is they're saying. The media is full of disinformation and it's your job to inform yourself correctly.

ben cousins
October 24th, 2011, 06:18 PM
wel all this fear based propaganda is pretty funny i must admit [fox news is comedic gold]

Went
October 24th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Hello I'm a journalist.

The greatest majority of channels need ads to survive. Ads will become more expensive the more people watch them. So they have to get series that attract people, blockbusters people will watch... and news that people will also want to hear about.

Now what's more attractive for people?

a) The elections in Tunisia
b) Gaddafi being brutally executed
c) The Eurozone rescue plans
d) Some guy being shot in a robbery in your neighbourhood

Well, one of my teachers said: "if you want most people to care about it, it rather had naked people or lots of blood", and I think he's absolutely right. There is only a few channels that would actively pay attention to a and c, but most will show b and d because hell, are they attractive for people who know nothing about politics.

Of course, when you can't find any of those in political news, the closest thing you can do is scaring people. Evil aliens will take our jobs, the EU will remove Queen Elizabeth and exile her, Obama eats babies for breakfast... not only it will attract people who will go to your channel to know the "hidden truth" about everything, but you'll also get some nice propaganda down their troaths. That's always useful.

ben cousins
October 24th, 2011, 11:11 PM
why do the majority of westerners have racist views about muslims...THE NEWS!

Forever
October 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM
i'm not saying our media used to be perfect but now it's just crazy if you don't believe me go on youtube and type in today tonight add it's almost as funny as fox news

Like Went, I'm also involved in journalism, just a student for now though!

Today Tonight isn't a good thing to base your argument on. Most good journalists would actually say that the show is promoting bad journalism, because really, who cares if there are going to be large price increases on shampoo, or a new virus that attacks people who use -insert brand-. The show in itself is pointless and aims to promote products through its "journalism practices".

Watch 6:30--well, 6:30 with George Negus is finished, but that is generally an example of good journalism, sure it may mention things that could scare you, but hey that's how the news always is, because that's the reality you're living in. If you're going to complain about the media, at least look at examples of good journalism rather than all the commercial stuff.

Also no, the media isn't the cause of people being afraid of the Muslims, the news reports it like it is and the public dramatizes it. Just because Osama Bin Laden was apart of a certain race, it doesn't mean that everyone from that race is evil.

Did you ever consider that parts of the world are becoming more dangerous to live in and it isn't actually always the fault of the media? Technically, while the media may make some things sound more dramatic than they are - it actually is true that the world is becoming more dangerous, aka, 40 years ago you could leave doors open w/o being locked and leave the house in many places, and now even in Australia that just isn't possible. It's gradual, but it's occurring.