PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Election Day Results & Discussion

FreakyLocz14
November 8th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Ohio Issue 3 passed by a 66% to 34% margin to reject the individual mandate clause of the Presidents health care law. Issue 1, which would have extended the age of judicial pursuants to 76, was also handily defeated.

Republican Phil Bryant was also elected Governor of Mississippi. Democrat Steve Beshear was re-elected Governor of Kentucky.

In New Jersey, Democrats added to their majority in the state legislature.

Mississippi Amendment 26, the "personhood amendment" was defeated by a large margin.

Mississippi also voted to require ID before voting, and to end eminent domain.

Maine voted to end restrictions on voting and voter identification matters.

Ohio Issue 2, which would have limited public sector collective bargaining rights, was defeated by a large margin, 61-29%

The author of Arizona's SB1070, Senator Russell Pearce, was recalled by his legislative district.

Let's all discuss the the results tonight, and what they could mean for the Presidential contest next year.

Stormbringer
November 8th, 2011, 09:26 PM
US district court of Appeals in DC upheld the constitutionality of Obama's healthcare law. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45208152/ns/politics-more_politics/#.TroI-7KwW9o)

Republicans got hammered all across the board. Especially in Ohio.

FreakyLocz14
November 8th, 2011, 09:30 PM
US district court of Appeals uphelpd the constitutionality of Obama's healthcare law. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45208152/ns/politics-more_politics/#.TroI-7KwW9o)

Republicans got hammered all across the board. Especially in Ohio.

We're discussing election results, not court rulings. There are several district court rulings and appeals court ruling against Obamacare.

Like I said before, I think this vote matters in that is shows that Obama might have issues in Ohio next year when he's up for re-election. Anything can happen between then and now, but it's something he'll be considering.

Esper
November 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Well, Mississippi isn't quite the hell-hole I thought it was. It's still mostly a hell-hole, but not completely. I must say I was worried 26 would pass, but my faith in humanity has returned a little. If that reddest-of-the-red state couldn't pass the "personhood" amendment I don't think it'll fly anywhere else. Which is good news. But still, 43% is too high for my tastes.

Mr. X
November 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM
U.S =/= Ohio, Mississippi, Arizona, Kentucky

Misleading title much? Where are the results for all the other states?

FreakyLocz14
November 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM
U.S =/= Ohio, Mississippi, Arizona, Kentucky

Misleading title much? Where are the results for all the other states?

Only a select handful of states have statewide elections in off years.

Mario The World Champion
November 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM
My town had an election for a new mayor since the one we had for 12 years decided to try a new challenge in life. The new mayor got 70% of the votes, but my town has a population of around 28,000 and I think around 10,000 people voted.

The ironic thing is, the man who lost the election touted about how he was environmentally friendly, only to make fliers with nothing on them, stating that nothing will change if his opponent won. But that dude wasted a lot of paper when he said he's a friend to the environment. Seriously, he chopped down trees to make fliers with nearly nothing on them, trying to make the point that his opponent won't change the status quo in my town.

Mr. X
November 10th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Only a select handful of states have statewide elections in off years.

And my point stands. Misleading title.

lx_theo
November 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM
And my point stands. Misleading title.

Considering a number of them were battlegrounds over Union rights, abortion/life, and immigration, they were all important. While not the sole places in the country, a lot of them are very significant.

G.U.Y.
November 16th, 2011, 12:55 PM
My first time voting was this year, and I voted against Issue 2 and 3, but not 1. I am from Ohio, and if you don't want to go up to the first post, Issue 1 raised the age of what a judge can be to 76. Issue 2 limited public employee's collective bargaining rights. Issue 3 surrounded the individual mandate for health care.