PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Problems

Morkula
December 31st, 2004, 07:41 PM
I'm having trouble with my dialup (don't say anything... XP) internet connection. It works fine on my laptop (which I'm on now, with it's 28K modem...-_-) and my parents' computer. But on my computer it dials and establishes a connection, but won't let me view any sites. It says "Looking for http://www.-insertsitenamehere-.com", then pops up an error message after a few seconds that the site could not be found. It does this with all sites, and in both Firefox and IE. I also can't log into my FTP client or MSN. Is there anything I can do to fix it?
Thanks! :)

Shining Arcanine
December 31st, 2004, 10:00 PM
Well for one thing you can reformat Windows but that is a bit extreme. The most likely cause is that something is up with Winsock. I'm a bit fuzzy on how to resolve issues with Winsock (or verify that the issue is Winsock) so I suggest you run a google search for advice.

I hope that helps.

Morkula
December 31st, 2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks SA! Long time no see :D
I'll try it after I wake up, because it's 1AM here and I'm lying in bed half-asleep while using my laptop. :P
I noticed that after I cleared my cookies/cache, it worked for a little while, but it stopped again. And it's not a problem with the servers, because I called and all the servers are working right, plus it works fine on all the other comps. I'll check out that Winsock thing though.

Shining Arcanine
January 1st, 2005, 08:48 AM
If it works for a little bit it probably isn't Winsock. Try increasing the amount of cache IE has to 80MB.

pokejungle
January 8th, 2005, 05:53 PM
What ISP do you use?

I have earthlink, and sometimes it "Signs On" but really isn't connected. I just restart the computer =/

PsYcHo_LuGiA
January 8th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Perhaps it is the wires of your dial-up? When I had dial-up, sometimes the wires would jiggle out and cause me not to able to view any websites even though it said I was online. I'd suggest checking all your internet connection wires.

Anarchytekt
January 8th, 2005, 11:13 PM
If the wires come out the connection gets disconnected:confused:
You have got any firewalls? Try disabling them. Especially if you have norton. And if you don't have a firewall, you should try one lol. Probably someone from the outside is....er....tampering with your connection by hacking into your PC???

Geometric-sama
January 9th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Have you checked all your connection settings and made sure they're pointing to the right places?