PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Where do we go after we die?

Yoshikko
November 14th, 2011, 06:18 AM
There are literally countless of theories in the world, about where we go or what will happen when we die, and how it depends on the way we die, the age we die at, or if we have "fulfilled" our life. The most common one being heaven, hell and purgatory, but there are also others such as reincarnation, and variations of that. Most of the time these are religious theories, but there are also scientific ones, where people had near-death experiences and claim to have seen or felt the place that they would go to, and were also able to describe it.

I think about where we go when we die a lot, and the thought that there might also be nothing, scares me a little.

Where do you think we go, or what will happen, after we die? Maybe you also have an own theory that you would like to share, or maybe you want to give an analysis of the existing theories? Share your thoughts!

Forgot to give my own thoughts lol. Anyways, personally I think that when we die, we die. At least our body and soul does, I can't help but agree a little on what Live said about the energy that remains here.

I don't believe in reincarnation, and I think that if there would ever be such a thing, it wouldn't matter because we'd be literally reborn, having no memory of our supposedly previous life. In that case, for all I know I could be a reincarnation right now, but since I have no memory of it, I don't think that it can really be called reincarnation. I hate to think that when we die, we are gone, and as much as I'd like to believe that there will be something after because the thought of nothing scares me - I just can't, it sounds more of a dream to me than reality.

Went
November 14th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I think we just disappear from existence. Poof. No more. And if it turns out it's different and we do live on, well, I'll get the good news then. But since I don't believe in an after-death life, nor anybody can prove there is any, I'm free to only care about this one for now.

Alley Cat
November 14th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I don't care where I'm going. I mean, wherever I'm going, I'm going there regardless of whether I believe that happens or not. Also there is no gaurantee of such an afterlife. I do know that I have this current life, though, so I'm going to make the most , of it. Should such a concept as an afterlife arise when I am dead, then I will surely have the means to deal with it then.

Livewire
November 14th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Over to course of a lifetime, the human body puts out more energy than a nuclear reactor. That energy has to go somewhere, same with the matter of the human body. Your best bet is that you'll end up as grass or a tree of some kind in a cemetery.

That's just what would happen to the body. As for our notion of a soul, I don't know and don't particularly care.

Oryx
November 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I don't care where I'm going. I mean, wherever I'm going, I'm going there regardless of whether I believe that happens or not. Also there is no gaurantee of such an afterlife. I do know that I have this current life, though, so I'm going to make the most , of it. Should such a concept as an afterlife arise when I am dead, then I will surely have the means to deal with it then.

This is kind of how I feel. Unless someone comes out with definitive proof one way or the other, it's hard to make me think philosophically and come up with some theory because I can't prove any of it ever, and being asked to prove it would remind me of that and make me doubt it. I'd be more than willing to accept evidence on either side, but since neither side has any evidence whatsoever, I just try to live life the best I can and be a good person, because I do believe that being a good person is more important than every detail of your life.

Esper
November 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I think you stop existing as a living, thinking person. Your brain functions shut down as the brain dies (from lack of oxygen, damage, or whatever) and without your brain you're not really you anymore.

I think life after death feels like a mix of wish fulfillment and fear of the unknown. No one knows what happens to you when you die, and that's scary, so we wish it will be something pleasant. In other words, we wish it will be something desirable and familiar, but without any real knowledge about what comes after death the only thing we can think of is that there will some sort of continuation of what we have now, a.k.a. life.

Over to course of a lifetime, the human body puts out more energy than a nuclear reactor.
What?

Livewire
November 14th, 2011, 10:55 AM
What?

I forget exactly where I heard this, but the total electromagnetic and kinetic energy the human body puts out over an average lifetime is greater than that of your average output of a Nuclear Reactor over the same time. Something like that.

Mr. X
November 14th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Energy can't be created or destroyed. It can only change form.

I like to believe that the same thing happens to humans. We die, and our body becomes a source of energy for new life.

As for the soul, I think the same thing occurs. We die, our body is used to create new life, and our soul is used for new life as well. In this case I beleive in Karma. You do good, your soul is reincarnated as something good/powerful/whatever,yougetmypoint. You do bad stuff, your soul gets reincarnated as a maggot or something equally disgusting.

groteske
November 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Eh, I'll find out one way or another. Not worried.

Mr Cat Dog
November 14th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Over to course of a lifetime, the human body puts out more energy than a nuclear reactor. That energy has to go somewhere, same with the matter of the human body. Your best bet is that you'll end up as grass or a tree of some kind in a cemetery.
And for those who wish to be cremated: an urn! (Or to be scattered wherever they wish...)

But, to continue this relative echo chamber, don't know and don't particularly care. I'm concentrating on the here and now, and not particularly worrying about what, if anything, is coming afterwards.

2Cool4Mewtwo
November 14th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Nobody really knows. We could start a new life under a new body or go to heaven/hell or whatever.

Xeberos
November 14th, 2011, 01:35 PM
We just disappear and our souls go to new 'journey'.
And if we were good persons in our lifes we will be get rewarded.

Gold warehouse
November 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Your concsciousness is gone, so that's you gone. Reincarnation, but you have no memories of your past life? Is that not just the same as having a new life. That's not life after death, that's an entirely new life form. I can't bring myself to believe there's anything after death.

What's good and evil is subjective, not objective; so I can't believe in any form of heaven or hell either.

The afterlife is entirely faith, born out of fear and hope; no facts at all. It's just not logical to try and think there is anything after death.

miltankRancher
November 15th, 2011, 07:09 AM
i don't believe in the concept of heaven and hell. Evil and good is relative to each one of us; what may be good for me is evil for you.

However, I'm a reincarnationist. meaning I believe in that notion. After death, there must be this somewhere we must go. We cannot simply exist as non-thinking beings, with shut eyes, closed forever in eternal rest. No. I believe that we must go somewhere. And another life is the most logical, though barely, place to go next.

But, yeah. I'm still alive and I'm going to make the most of this life of mine.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
November 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I personally believe in an afterlife. Ultimately, I guess it's kind of just important to me on a personal level. It gives me strength to go through with the day to day stuff.

Ephemeral Euphoria
November 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I believe in the concept of heaven and hell personally since it's kind of a grim thought to imagine simply rotting away after I die, at least for me anyways.

FreakyLocz14
November 15th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I firmly believe in the Judeao-Christian Heaven and Hell.

Those who accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and savior will go to Heaven. All others go to Hell.

EDIT:
Someone who dies in original sin (hasn't been baptized), but isn't old enough to sin themselves go to Limbo first.

Technically, if you lived a perfect life and have never committed even the slightest sin, you would go to Heaven despite your religion. The problem is, no such person exists.

Sodom
November 16th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I believe in the concept of heaven and hell personally since it's kind of a grim thought to imagine simply rotting away after I die, at least for me anyways.

I found this interesting. Is it less grim to think of one's soul rotting for eternity in agony in the fiery pits of Hell than it is to think of their body rotting underground? Personally, I find myself far more comfortable with the latter image, especially considering the near impossible-to-reach criteria you have to meet in order to get into Heaven.

Ephemeral Euphoria
November 16th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I found this interesting. Is it less grim to think of one's soul rotting for eternity in agony in the fiery pits of Hell than it is to think of their body rotting underground? Personally, I find myself far more comfortable with the latter image.

Yeah there's hell too unfortunately but don't most people who believe in the concept of heaven and hell try to appeal to whatever faith they may have if one at all so they don't end up going to hell in the end? That's just a speculation though but I can imagine most people who have some kind of faith faith and believe in its concepts trying to work towards avoiding hell when they pass on, unless they're something along the lines of a satanist whom believe that hell's more desirable than heaven to them oddly enough.

Broken_Arrow
November 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
either Heaven or Hell...depends on the deeds though..

Sodom
November 17th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Yeah there's hell too unfortunately but don't most people who believe in the concept of heaven and hell try to appeal to whatever faith they may have if one at all so they don't end up going to hell in the end? That's just a speculation though but I can imagine most people who have some kind of faith faith and believe in its concepts trying to work towards avoiding hell when they pass on, unless they're something along the lines of a satanist whom believe that hell's more desirable than heaven to them oddly enough.

Right, but if you're thinking outside of yourself, are you comfortable with the image of others meeting their torturous fates in Hell, while you get to go to Heaven?

Ephemeral Euphoria
November 17th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Right, but if you're thinking outside of yourself, are you comfortable with the image of others meeting their torturous fates in Hell, while you get to go to Heaven?

Oh of course not, well at least not yet anyways. I know I'll have to cope with that thought at some point in my life but still that is a little grim to say the least not to mention a tad sadistic IMO if people actually enjoy the thought of others suffering for all eternity. I'll end up being more comfortable with the thought at some point in my life but I don't want to end up actually wanting to see others go to hell in the end.

Patchisou Yutohru
November 17th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I have my own theory. I believe in reincarnation, so I think when you die, your spirit and soul are reincarnated into a new life opposite your current sex. You don't remember things from your previous life, but things come more naturally in your next life than they did in your current life and the older your soul, the more wise you are in life. You aren't smarter, but you're just someone people tend to go to and you offer your wisdom to them in advice. But there's a whole list of rules and conditions that have to be met to be reincarnated, because I believe if you're an old soul, your soul has the chance to go to some heaven-like place where it resides with other old souls that have fulfilled a sense of purpose, being and wisdom. It's all really complicated to put into words, but it's all so clear and concise in my head and something I think is really fascinating to think about.

Yoshikko
November 17th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I have a question. I don't believe in heaven or hell personally, but when you supposedly go to either, your body stays on earth, right? Wouldn't that mean that your body does stay and 'rots' in the earth, while only your soul goes to some other place? So technically you rot away whatsoever. Also, scientifically speaking (so no heaven or hell after you die), you would be dead, so you wouldn't be experiencing the rotting anyway.

Ephemeral Euphoria
November 17th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I have a question. I don't believe in heaven or hell personally, but when you supposedly go to either, your body stays on earth, right? Wouldn't that mean that your body does stay and 'rots' in the earth, while only your soul goes to some other place? So technically you rot away whatsoever. Also, scientifically speaking (so no heaven or hell after you die), you would be dead, so you wouldn't be experiencing the rotting anyway.

Yeah the body does rot away regardless unless it's cremated at some point then it's just ashes in a jar. But spiritually speaking though, your body does decay eventually but your soul moves on to either heaven or hell then the body you left behind on earth isn't technically you anymore due to not being inhabited by a soul thus it's about the same as an abandoned house slowly but surely decaying as times moves on, don't recall anything about souls decaying in the afterlife though TBH. About the scientific saying there, that just reminded me of a story I recall reading online about a woman waking up at her own funeral then dying soon after, thought that would be interesting enough to point out but regardless the rotting of the body after death is pretty grim to think about whether we're around or not to experience the said rotting. I hope I answered your question there.

Barbie Jean
November 17th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I am a christian, but I will say this, it would be awesome to live as another person(starting out as a baby of course) after your current life span ends. That is just my thought on this subject.

Seki
November 18th, 2011, 06:07 AM
We will all go to nowhere. That is what I believe.

Twiggy
November 18th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Hmm...

I'm not sure myself... but it has to be somewhere.

If reincarnation exists, what are the chances of we all stumbling back into this thread... a long, long time later? Give it some thought.

Yoshikko
November 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Hmm...

I'm not sure myself... but it has to be somewhere.

If reincarnation exists, what are the chances of we all stumbling back into this thread... a long, long time later? Give it some thought.
Okay that's a little weird but I thought about it, and let's say that this thread would still be there when we would be the same age as we are now, in our new lives (that'd be over 100 years but ok LOL), I don't think we would know it was our previous selves because I don't believe that you keep memories from your previous life. So it would be strange objectively but we wouldn't know, so yeah.

Centiflora X
November 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Since death does not discriminate, I have unshakable confidence everyone will end up in the same situation after life, whatever that situation is.

The Prince of Sweet Sorrow
November 18th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Before you were born, you didn't exist. When you die, you stop existing. Simple as that.

E.C.
November 20th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Well i believe in the whole reincarnation thing,but have thought about not being reincarnated and ending up as a wandering spirit. Maybe because of a burden or something you wanted to say to someone before dying.

Weeaboo Name
November 20th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Valhalla is the simple answer, see you all there young warriors.

Chiar
November 20th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I believe in reincarnation. After you die, I think you immediately start a new life which is unaware of who you were in a previous life and what happens after death.

Hassan_Abdillah
November 20th, 2011, 05:27 AM
(-___-)

No brainer: this thread serves as an interesting discussion and means of procrastination (admit it, thats why we are all here) but has little empirical value.

Life AFTER death is beyond anything natural, hence human rationalizations and empirical data and what have you can never be reliable instruments to "figure out" the answer. It is by definition beyond us, we have no clue whatsoever as to what will happen. We can only guess. And a guess, just so we're clear, is nothing but the expression of one's personal prejudice. No guess can be said to be better than the next one.

tl;dr: the discussion is pointless.

If you seriously want to know what happens after death, go to the religious scriptures, check the different views, see if any one of them makes sense/clicks with you. Those are pretty much our only source of knowledge of the supernatural. I'm not necessarily saying religions are reliable, just that we have no other source.

Yoshikko
November 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM
(-___-)

No brainer: this thread serves as an interesting discussion and means of procrastination (admit it, thats why we are all here) but has little empirical value.

Life AFTER death is beyond anything natural, hence human rationalizations and empirical data and what have you can never be reliable instruments to "figure out" the answer. It is by definition beyond us, we have no clue whatsoever as to what will happen. We can only guess. And a guess, just so we're clear, is nothing but the expression of one's personal prejudice. No guess can be said to be better than the next one.

tl;dr: the discussion is pointless.

If you seriously want to know what happens after death, go to the religious scriptures, check the different views, see if any one of them makes sense/clicks with you. Those are pretty much our only source of knowledge of the supernatural. I'm not necessarily saying religions are reliable, just that we have no other source.
I don't think you got the point. I wasn't asking everyone here if they knew what would happen to me if I died, I was asking what everyone thinks might happen. It is a speculation/theory thread. I am not asking for an answer here because I know that there ultimately isn't one. Like I can't even wrap my mind around how you thought that I was genuinly asking. How can you not understand lol.

Hassan_Abdillah
November 20th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Like I can't even wrap my mind around how you thought that I was genuinly asking. How can you not understand lol.

Because, it's a serious issue. Heck, it's THE most serious of all issues. Afterlife, or lack thereof, is what gives this life meaning. Our purpose in this life is tailored with post-death issues in view. That is why I can't wrap my head around how one cannot genuinely ask about these things or take them seriously.

Then again, this is the internet.

P.S. this was not a personal attack. If you interpret it to be one then I'm truly sorry. It's just my "wth" face at this whole modern net-lectual culture.

Overlord Drakow
November 20th, 2011, 09:02 AM
(-___-)

Wow what arrogance, honestly. There's a limit to patronising people seriously. I'm certain everyone already knew the bold section as it's bloody obvious and I cannot even contemplate what ultimately made you type that out. Clearly, you've completely misunderstood what the OP was asking for and I truly question whether you read even a single response to this thread for if you had done so, basic common sense would indicate that the OP was looking for ideas, notions, beliefs on what happens after death NOT what actually happens since obviously no one definitely knows ¬___________¬

Anyway as for myself, I used to be a fairly strong believer in reincarnation but I think that notion has weakened for me over the years and I don't think I currently have any dominating point of view in regards to this matter.

Yoshikko
November 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Because, it's a serious issue. Heck, it's THE most serious of all issues. Afterlife, or lack thereof, is what gives this life meaning. Our purpose in this life is tailored with post-death issues in view. That is why I can't wrap my head around how one cannot genuinely ask about these things or take them seriously.

P.S. this was not a personal attack. If you interpret it to be one then I'm truly sorry. It's just my "wth" face at this whole modern net-lectual culture.
I didn't take it as an attack. That, and also, I am wondering where I'm gonna end up if I die, everyone does that by default, but why would someone even make a thread asking where they would go? It is just a given that everyone wonders where they would go, but NO one is asking someone because everyone also knows that no one else knows! I thought this was so obvious.

Overlord Drakow
November 20th, 2011, 09:14 AM

Strongly disagree with the bold statement. What gives my life meaning are my accomplishments, my achievements, my successes. Those are what drive me, motivate me, push me to strive even further in life.

Hassan_Abdillah
November 20th, 2011, 09:20 AM
It is just a given that everyone wonders where they would go, but NO one is asking someone because everyone also knows that no one else knows! I thought this was so obvious.

Okay, so I guess the not-genuine (I dont know the negative of genuine) nature of your question was based on the premise that no one knows about it, so all we can do is speculate.

I don't think this premise is as obvious as you think, people (some 4 billion of them currently) build their worldviews on the basis that there is an afterlife. For some it is reincarnation, for others heaven vs. hell. But the said people, the majority of them at least, hold their view to be true. Some among them, rendered a minority by the perennialist culture of the day, claim their view is objective.

Of course, I'm not assuming that all these people are legit in their reasoning. However I am also not for simply ruling out all their views on the premise "it's so obvious they are all wrong in believing their truth is objective."

...Why am I debating so much? :S

EDIT:

Strongly disagree with the bold statement. What gives my life meaning are my accomplishments, my achievements, my successes. Those are what drive me, motivate me, push me to strive even further in life.

So let's say you know, for sure, there is an afterlife, and such and such things are going to happen there. Are you or are you not going to take that into account in forming your worldview?

Also, although this is semantics, it seems you and I define "meaning" differently. I take "meaning" in its literal sense. You apparently take meaning to mean your motivations towards your goal, and not your goal itself. Is the definition of "goal" arbitrarily placed in your worldview? Just curious.

And EDIT (didn't notice Darkrow's first post): I don't respond to personal attacks. As for the only line in your post which bore any rational significance i.e.

NOT what actually happens since obviously no one definitely knows

has been responded to above.

Yoshikko
November 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM
[...]
W/e you are saying here, what I meant was that yes, I know there are people who belieeeeeve in that there is an after-life and I am not saying they are wrong or anything, but I am asuming that even those people know that that is just a theory they believe in, since obviously you can't be 100% sure, it's called believing for a reason. No one can be sure of it, it's just common sense.

"has been responded to above." Then why quote that bit still.

Overlord Drakow
November 20th, 2011, 11:22 AM
EDIT:

So let's say you know, for sure, there is an afterlife, and such and such things are going to happen there. Are you or are you not going to take that into account in forming your worldview?

Also, although this is semantics, it seems you and I define "meaning" differently. I take "meaning" in its literal sense. You apparently take meaning to mean your motivations towards your goal, and not your goal itself. Is the definition of "goal" arbitrarily placed in your worldview? Just curious.

And EDIT (didn't notice Darkrow's first post): I don't respond to personal attacks. As for the only line in your post which bore any rational significance i.e.

has been responded to above.

I'm not a huge fan of dealing with "what if" scenarios but alright. Given the premise you have described, I would take the after life into account while living my current life, though it wouldn't be an overwhelming factor. I don't want to go to hell or get reincarnated as an insect or whatever but I want to enjoy the present moment too and if I'm consistently thinking about life after death I don't think I could do that. Fact is that I don't know what the after life entails so I don't go living my life thinking that far ahead into the future.

-----

I do mean the actual goal(s) itself too by the way. That's kind of what "my accomplishments, my achievements, my successes" suggests. Working towards and reaching the targets I aim for.

インフェルノの津波
November 20th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I have no idea. But I will. We all die eventually, no point worrying about it. Live out your life the way you see fit. When you die, you die. What happens next is not my concern.

Jovi
November 20th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Nowhere. When we die, we die and will be forgotten with the passage of time. Just like everybody else.
Our souls ain't going anywhere.

Dakotah
November 22nd, 2011, 07:22 AM
When we die, we become fertilizer.

Jorah
November 22nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
I am more scared of the actual process of dying rather than what happens when I'm dead. You hear so many stories about people dying from cancer or heart attacks that it makes it seem as though no one can just die peacefully or pain-free :/

In any case...I am not sure. I mostly think that nothing happens most of the time. Just that its exactly the same sort of experience before you were born: nothing.

Yoshikko
November 22nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
I am more scared of the actual process of dying rather than what happens when I'm dead. You hear so many stories about people dying from cancer or heart attacks that it makes it seem as though no one can just die peacefully or pain-free :/

In any case...I am not sure. I mostly think that nothing happens most of the time. Just that its exactly the same sort of experience before you were born: nothing.
I agree with you on that the process of dying seems more unsettling to me than whatever might happen after that. Though, not so much the process of dying for me but the knowledge, seconds before it's gonna happen.

Hassan_Abdillah
November 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
W/e you are saying here, what I meant was that yes, I know there are people who belieeeeeve in that there is an after-life and I am not saying they are wrong or anything, but I am asuming that even those people know that that is just a theory they believe in, since obviously you can't be 100% sure, it's called believing for a reason. No one can be sure of it, it's just common sense.

Not trying to be rude or offensive, I swear. But this is just a rephrase of what you wrote above. You are suggesting the people who have an afterlife-oriented worldview have no rational justification for their belief, it's all "faith", in every absolute sense of the word. People do believe but they are not sure of their belief, it's just an arbitrary theory and that's the end of it. You're not giving their claim of objectivity any benefit of doubt. And this is where I take an opposing stance and say, we have to give them a benefit of doubt in keeping with intellectual honesty. We can't just start off from an assumption borne out of nothing.

Also, you yourself said this is an assumption, but in the last line of para you attribute this to common sense. Isn't "common sense" used in such a context arbitrary?

I'm not a huge fan of dealing with "what if" scenarios but alright. Given the premise you have described, I would take the after life into account while living my current life, though it wouldn't be an overwhelming factor. I don't want to go to hell or get reincarnated as an insect or whatever but I want to enjoy the present moment too and if I'm consistently thinking about life after death I don't think I could do that.

Firstly, you can label it a "what if" scenario, but let's not keep that label from giving it appropriate benefit of doubt. Also, the proposed hypothetical scenario was introduced to drive home the point that one's belief in afterlife does have a place in worldview building. Your post conceded this point, to an extent at least.

For you, enjoying the moment is more or equally important than/as concern for the future. Not to critique this view, this is just you. Other people, might have "sold their present life at the cost of hereafter" because the thought of eternal bliss or damnation keeps them from attributing any value to this life (this is assuming they have certainty of hereafter, not just a theory or blind belief). This is why it's a serious issue. Also, I think the reason such an issue is rendered not-that-serious is because of the assumption perennial philosophy makes: none of us can know which is the right way, so let's just pretend there is none.

As for the remainder of your post, I think we need to burrow a bit deeper than that. A worldview is not just about doing things, it's about how you look at life; how you define words like success, purpose, pleasure and so on. Actions come as a result of these "states of heart". But your post, apparently at least, uses words like "enjoy the present moment", "accomplishments", "achievements" and "successes" arbitrarily. These words are not objective by themselves. Their meanings are products of the worldviews we adopt.

To illustrate with an example: people involved in community services define success differently:

- A humanist, and perhaps a buddhist, would try his utmost to preserve life and end the sufferings of people (focusing on what result his or her actions bring).

- An alternative version of the humanist would not do it for the results, but for the sake of what he called moral values intrinsic to men (focusing on effort, because an itching conscience is put to rest mostly by intention behind an action, as opposed to an action with no substance).

- A Christian or a Muslim, on the other hand, would do the same actions to please God and to meet Him in the hereafter (not focusing on the results, but the effort put in, because God's pleasure is earned not by the action but the intention behind said action).

And the list of intentions go on: for the show, for entertainment, to get rid of boredom etc. So yeah, it's a long list. All these people define success or living the present moment differently. The concept of hereafter definitely plays out in this worldview choosing and hence their motivation behind what they do. So there is no "objective" definition of success. You think yours is objective because you are thinking in terms of your worldview, which has no concept of anything beyond the present life. This is why I said your goals are arbitrary.

Trance and Moss
November 22nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Where do we go when we live?

Yoshikko
November 24th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Where do we go when we live?
Actually that kinda reminded me of one crazy theory about how life is actually a dream and that "dying" is waking up from that dream. It's all weird.

Trance and Moss
November 24th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Actually that kinda reminded me of one crazy theory about how life is actually a dream and that "dying" is waking up from that dream. It's all weird.
If life is a dream, and dying is waking up, then what is going on when we dream while alive?

Just joking around - I've heard theories like that too, I think they use dreaming and waking up in a non literal sense though. Like we think we are so different from all other matter cuz we are alive, and grow, and think. But once we die, we become more similar to raw matter and energy that makes up almost everything in the earth, and the universe.

Livewire
December 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM
When we die, we become fertilizer.

Say you're buried, and you enter the soil. Plants draw nutrients from the soil, which in turn feed other animals and plants, then return to the soil. Many older pre-abramaic faiths had this figured out. Life is cyclical. Balance.

FreakyLocz14
December 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Our physical body becomes fertilizer.

Our spirit goes to Heaven if we accepted Christ in life. Those who did not burn in Hell.

Livewire
December 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Our physical body becomes fertilizer.

Our spirit goes to Heaven if we accepted Christ in life. Those who did not burn in Hell.

So several billion other human beings deserve to burn in hell then, simply for not being Christian?

FreakyLocz14
December 15th, 2011, 10:43 PM
So several billion other human beings deserve to burn in hell then, simply for not being Christian?

Every single person that has every lived and is currently living deserves to burn in Hell.

Every single person also has the chance to escape that fate by accepted Jesus Christ's free gift of forgiveness. Those who fail to accept it will perish because they made the choice to do so.

twocows
December 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Every single person that has every lived and is currently living deserves to burn in Hell.
Straight from the preacher's mouth: you deserve to suffer in eternal torment because you were born.

And people wonder why atheism is getting more popular.

Livewire
December 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM

I'll make sure to save you a seat.

FreakyLocz14
December 15th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Straight from the preacher's mouth: you deserve to suffer in eternal torment because you were born.

And people wonder why atheism is getting more popular.

Being born isn't the reason people deserve to go to Hell.
It's because of sin that people deserve to go to Hell.

Mr. X
December 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM
And we are born with sin, therefor we deserve to go to hell just for being born.

Its views like that that make it hard for me to stay Agnostic. After hearing crap like that I'm tempted to go full Atheist.

Still, what about the babies who die within the first year? You know, the ones that are incapable of rational thought? Do they go to hell as well? Or are they a exception to the rule?

FreakyLocz14
December 16th, 2011, 12:08 AM
And we are born with sin, therefor we deserve to go to hell just for being born.

Its views like that that make it hard for me to stay Agnostic. After hearing crap like that I'm tempted to go full Atheist.

Still, what about the babies who die within the first year? You know, the ones that are incapable of rational thought? Do they go to hell as well? Or are they a exception to the rule?

Original sin is cleansed with baptism. Original sin only makes you spend temporary time in limbo until you enter Heaven.

What makes us go to Hell are the sins we commit in life. You are doomed to Hell the instant you commit you first sin, no matter the severity. No amount of good works afterwords can save you. The only salvation is the grace of Jesus Christ.

Livewire
December 16th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Alright let's stop with the ignorant and flame baiting preaching. You stated your view once already, now leave it be and move on before someone falls for the bait and starts flaming you.

empty streets
December 16th, 2011, 02:05 AM
After death there is nothing. That is what I think at the moment. There may be a million theories, but none of them are proven for a 100%...

OriginGiratina
December 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
When we die, someone says, we go away from our body as a soul, we go in a strange place that we see what we've done those many years from our life and then our soul goes into another body, known as afterlife. It sounds very creepy. Some people may remember situations that they didn't attend...

The Author
December 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I firmly believe in the Judeao-Christian Heaven and Hell.

Those who accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and savior will go to Heaven. All others go to Hell.

EDIT:
Someone who dies in original sin (hasn't been baptized), but isn't old enough to sin themselves go to Limbo first.

Technically, if you lived a perfect life and have never committed even the slightest sin, you would go to Heaven despite your religion. The problem is, no such person exists.
YES! EXACTLY! I was wondering when someone would finally say that. :cer_boogie:
I found this interesting. Is it less grim to think of one's soul rotting for eternity in agony in the fiery pits of Hell than it is to think of their body rotting underground? Personally, I find myself far more comfortable with the latter image, especially considering the near impossible-to-reach criteria you have to meet in order to get into Heaven.
All you have to do is accept Jesus as your saviour. Yes, the Bible does say that humanly, it is easier to fit a came through the eye of a needle than to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. BUT it goes on to say that with God all things are possible. Therefore, all you have to do is accept Jesus as your saviour. Nothing complicated! :cer_smile:
either Heaven or Hell...depends on the deeds though..
Not exactly the deeds, but your personal belief in whether or not Jesus is your saviour.
We will all go to nowhere. That is what I believe.
That sure is hopeful. :cer_sneeze:
I am a christian, but I will say this, it would be awesome to live as another person(starting out as a baby of course) after your current life span ends. That is just my thought on this subject.
My Humanity 2.0? NOT IN MY HOUSE‼

Kayges
December 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I suppose I'll put my two cents in here, though religion seems to be playing in heavily at the moment. In that sense, I describe myself as Agnostic. I simply do not know if there is a higher being to believe in, so I will not. I choose to believe in myself, instead.

Anyways, to the topic! What happens when we die?

I have my own little feeling towards this and it's really quite simple.
I think whatever happens to you when you die is what you believe is going to happen to you. I know there's no...big theory behind it or some thorough description in a book about it. This is what I believe. I came up with it a couple of years ago when I was having a deep thinking night after some relatives passed away. Why spend my whole life afraid of what could happen or following the rules to a book? That all sounds so very stressfull. I enjoy life just being myself and as a relatively sensible person I can see right from wrong. So, in the end, I suppose it will be a very...intense or emotional moment. At that moment I may very well know what will happen and my belief will pull through. If not, then I'll be sure to find out anyway, hm?

I apologize if that seemed more like a rambling, but I think I got my point across.

Palladium
December 19th, 2011, 06:37 PM
All you have to do is accept Jesus as your saviour. Yes, the Bible does say that humanly, it is easier to fit a came through the eye of a needle than to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. BUT it goes on to say that with God all things are possible. Therefore, all you have to do is accept Jesus as your saviour. Nothing complicated! :cer_smile:

Sorry, but it isn't that simple, you also need to live in as less sins as possible, according to the Bible, and therefore the church.
You can commit sins every once in a while, but you must truly regret them later

Phantom
December 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM
If your Catholic you can buy a get out of hell free card, or go to confession every week and still be a bank robber.

/overdramatization.

We rot, no souls, just rot. Become worm food.

Philosophically I like to think that, even though I don't believe in an actual soul, I like to think that our 'soul' is the memories loved ones have of us. Just a wishful thought. No theology involved.

That or we rise in a zombie apocalypse.

Trance and Moss
December 19th, 2011, 10:09 PM
If you are Canadian, you generally believe that you go to Tim Horton's after you die.
This is by no means the belief system of all, just the majority.

I personally hope that there are Iced Capuccinos.

Yoshikko
December 20th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I know that every religion has their own view on what there is after death, but I'm not sure if that what we believe in based on our religion, is what is gonna happen (theoretically speaking of course). What I mean is that I don't think that someone who for example is hinduistic, would be more likely to re-incarnate than someone who is christian, because death is equal, and I don't believe that it's based on what we believe during our lives. So also, whether we believe in Jesus or not, I think all that isn't relevant eventually.

salpfish
December 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM
If it existed, it would be pretty awesome, but I don't believe in anything more than a mere consciousness after death, if even that much. I've always wanted to believe in an afterlife or reincarnation, but I feel like I'm only lying to myself. I don't see why I should believe in something that humans came up with themselves with no actual experience of what it is like.

To me, it's the same as the people who came up with the idea of the Rapture back in May. They were certain that it would happen, and they were even making up things like it all happening at 6:00 per time zone, but in the end nothing happened.

That's why I find it hard to believe in things people make up with no real knowledge of what will happen.

Briar
December 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM
If life is a dream, and dying is waking up, then what is going on when we dream while alive?

then that would be a dream within a dream. :-)
just recently watched the movie "inception" and it really made me think of that theory: what if the life i'm living now is just a dream?

as for the topic question, being a person with a religion (christianity), i do believe our "souls" will go somewhere. i'm not sure where exactly, seeing as "Heaven" is a relatively subjective concept. although, i did have a dream once, and it, in a sense, shaped my view of what the after-life is. i think that, when we die, our souls are just there. like, our souls are in a parallel dimension. we are able to see the things happening in the physical world, but we can't act on them. well, these are just musings of a person who hasn't experienced death yet (obviously), or a life-after death experience (or whatever you call it) as some people have, and my beliefs about the after-life may be subject to change in the future.

Overlord Drakow
December 22nd, 2011, 06:40 AM
then that would be a dream within a dream. :-)
just recently watched the movie "inception" and it really made me think of that theory: what if the life i'm living now is just a dream?

http://www.esreality.com/files/placeimages/2010/77104-inceptionp1.jpg

Obligatory.

There's this PS3 game called Eternal Sonata based on a famous composer named Frederic Francois Chopin and he is in a coma. The game is based within his mind and he eventually believes the world he has created mentally is the "real" world and in the end, he dies and supposedly continues living on in his own world. So I suppose the aforementioned theory isn't too outrageous as other people have considered it and based a game somewhat around the concept too.

--------------

I DEDICATE MY ONE THOUSANDTH POST TO OTHER CHAT - TO THE SITH LORDS LIVE_HADES666 AND RAZER SATAN!

Why is it that there are so many Jedi Knights with their own order and only two Sith lords at any one time? It is because the Sith follow the Rule of Two. One master. One apprentice. One who embodies the power and the other to crave it. Once the apprentice has learned everything the master has to teach, the apprentice kills off the master and seeks a new apprentice to continue the legacy. This is the way of the Sith.

LET US ALL CHANT THE CODE OF THE SITH NOW!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/8/81/BZZZZZZ.jpg

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!

twocows
December 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
In the ground. Usually.

I'd rather have my ashes buried at sea.

Maka Chop
December 22nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
As much as I would like to believe in an afterlife, I think we just disappear.

Alpha King
December 22nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
I don't have any idea, but I think reincarnation is an interesting theory. What if the light at the end of the tunnel when we die is really the light out of our new mother's..uh.. woman thing.

Harley Quinn
December 22nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
I've never been a believer of going to heaven/purgatory/hell etc when you die, it just doesn't make sense to me. Plus, I don't like the idea of living forever after my physical body has passed on. The idea of immortality scares me. I've always preferred either dying and thats it, you're done, bada bing bada boom or reincarnation. I know reincarnation is an endless cycle and that makes you 'immortal' in a way, but it's comforting to me that I'm not aware that I have been reincarnated. At least that's what I have been lead to believe? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Black Ice
December 23rd, 2011, 01:36 AM
I don't have any idea, but I think reincarnation is an interesting theory. What if the light at the end of the tunnel when we die is really the light out of our new mother's..uh.. woman thing.
And every time we're revived at the last second, a baby dies.

Life just seems too special for it to just all disappear when we die. But that's still what I think happens. Hah.

Degenerate
December 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Back to the source and get recycled in one form or another.

Overlord Drakow
January 3rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
I've never been a believer of going to heaven/purgatory/hell etc when you die, it just doesn't make sense to me. Plus, I don't like the idea of living forever after my physical body has passed on. The idea of immortality scares me. I've always preferred either dying and thats it, you're done, bada bing bada boom or reincarnation. I know reincarnation is an endless cycle and that makes you 'immortal' in a way, but it's comforting to me that I'm not aware that I have been reincarnated. At least that's what I have been lead to believe? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Speaking of immortality then, what are your thoughts on pseudo immortality? Let's take an example to clarify. Overlord Drakow has taken over the world, riding on the back of his Hydreigon to victory like a true Dark lord. The embodiment of the supreme ruler is sculptured and his image is also painted on massive canvases. His reign of terror is written down in the history books to be preserved throughout the ages. Although Drakow will eventually die one way or another, his impact on the world will never be forgotten. The concept is pretty much the same for any famous person. If the other extreme is considered, it could be argued that as long as one person remembers someone who has died, they will "live on in their memory". In essence it's a form of immortality. Even if someone dies and say that's it for them - no rebirth or going to Heaven / Hell - what would your stance be on the claim that they will still live on in the memories of the people who closely interacted with the deceased being?

Ayutac
January 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Funny thing I can actually be more objective in a thread about after life than in a thread about the probition of alcohol. Let's get to it!

I know that every religion has their own view on what there is after death, but I'm not sure if that what we believe in based on our religion, is what is gonna happen (theoretically speaking of course). What I mean is that I don't think that someone who for example is hinduistic, would be more likely to re-incarnate than someone who is christian, because death is equal, and I don't believe that it's based on what we believe during our lives. So also, whether we believe in Jesus or not, I think all that isn't relevant eventually.
Sad, but not true. There are beliefs that doesn't depend on the believer (such as Hinduism) and there are these who does. All Abrahamic religions belongs to the latter.

Sorry, but it isn't that simple, you also need to live in as less sins as possible, according to the Bible, and therefore the church.
Please don't mix Bible and church together so carelessly. If you think of yourself as a Christian for a moment, you have the bible as your bas. But the church was still invented by mere humans. Nothing in the bible says anything about churches as such.

unless they're something along the lines of a satanist whom believe that hell's more desirable than heaven to them oddly enough.
For the record, that's not what real satanists believe in. They believe there's neither heaven nor hell, so you are free to do anything you want to. (But they kinda despise anyone who believes in god, so you could say they despise a god himself.) But you have to accept anything you do could happen to you as well, so e.g. if you murder someone you could die very soon too. It has a flair of anarchy and I like that.
The satanic church certainly do some mass from time to time, but they also provide contacts between believers. So, if you look for a witch they will lead you to one. But that witch doesn't have to cooperative at all, you're on your own to convince her doing whatever you want from her (still she can't do everything, e.g. she can't make you a witch). So to say, there is no sense of community.
I like satanism for the responsibility everyone has for himself/herself, but don't like it's "we are all damned anyway" attitude.

What's good and evil is subjective, not objective; so I can't believe in any form of heaven or hell either.
If you imply there is an almighty god, then he is the ruler and the one who defines good and evil, as he is the supremum and so the objective itself. If you, aware of his existence, don't think of him as objective, then you are subjective by definition. Because if this almighty god wouldn't be the measurement for objectiveness, what else should it be?
Actually, if god would reveal himself ("him" as in "the Lord", I'm not implying anything), I think this is what most people would think :D

The afterlife is entirely faith, born out of fear and hope; no facts at all. It's just not logical to try and think there is anything after death.
I have to disgree with you right there. It IS logical too believe in an afterlife.

Proof: Imply you believe in an afterlife and there isn't one. Well, you will never knew and therefore you can live relieved. Even if you were wrong by objective standards, you always "knew" you were right, so in the end, you win. That is also in accordance in case there is an afterlive and you wouldn't notice (such as reincarnations without memories).
If there's afterlife you can experience and it matches your belief, you win.
If there's afterlife you can experience and it really doesn't match your belief, as in you go to hell and burn for all eternity, you finally loose.
But you loose as well if you don't belief anything at all, because hell or similiar isn't supposed to be fun.
If there's no afterlife (you can experience) and you don't believe in any, then you just die. But even if you were right by objective standarts, you will never now. And maybe some day in your live really, really terrible things will happen to your kids and they die afterwards (as teenagers or younger, for the sake of this szenario). So as an atheist, you just believe they were painful unlucky and do exist no more. That's sad. … After all, I wouldn't call the atheist-and-no-afterlife a total loose situation, but it is way more negative.
As shown, if you believe in an afterlife, you gain more without loosing anything that could even scratch the win. Which such a result given, I can only call the decision a logical one.
Disproof me ;)

I agree that's a difficult side. As FreakyLocz14 said, everyone is free to believe want he/she wants and has to take responsibility for it, even if she said it in an inappropriate way. From a Christ's or Muslim's point of view (and maybe some others too) that's just unavoidable. Because they know they can't convert everybody. Personally, for me it was the greatest obstacle hindering me converting to the Islam, because it would mean my parents would end in hell, as they were back then (and are still now, sadly). But after some time, I accepted it. Inb4 I'm a terrorist. I can't force them to their luck, just like I can't force any of you. What remains is hope.
But I have to say, on the other side, hell-burning for others can be a good thing for yourself as believer. From an Atheistic point of view it was probably "invented" to give the believers the security wrong-doers and criminals won't simply get away for not doing as (a) god says. Wouldn't you feel good thinking of the murderers of your parents burning in hell? Wouldn't you feel very good thinking of the rapist of your kids burning in hell? Well, neither my parents got murdered nor I ever had children to be raped, but I believe it would be some kind of relieve. On a personal note again, I remember one time last year someone REALLY made me angry (and I'm not soo easy to anger) and I was mad at him and all, but then I just thought "you'll probably end in hell" and I felt relieved, the anger almost completely vanished. So, I think the "burn-in-hell" consequence is actually good for a peaceful behavior: You don't really need to punish somebody (violently) because god will give him the ultimate punishment. Works for me :)
(And yes I know there are these idiotic religious extremists, in the dark age and now. If you ask yourself for a moment you will probably agree these people got something (or almost everything) entirely wrong, so please don't use these as an argument against my hell-makes-you-peaceful thesis.)

By the last quote answered, I think my personal believes of afterlive are covered in general. As the Koran stated, it will be great ;P
But there are some things I would like there to have which aren't mentioned so far or exactly. I would like to be freed of my (bad) desires – you could summon these up as the characteristics of the seven death sins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins#Development_of_the_traditional_Seven_Sins) – and I should be able to get anything I want (due to be free of bad desires, what about a cup of warm chocolate and a conforming house to live in?), beige would be a nice color for the place in general, I would like to be still able to watch the living world and a detailed book of my life would be nice (because I forget very much. Guess what, I just edited this parenthesis thought because I forgot it before). (Besides the last part, that's how I adopted Afterlife in my stories, still being not the final afterlife after all, so I don't say any religion would be wrong.) But if I wouldn't get all that I would still be happy.

By the way, the seven blunders of the world from Ghandi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Blunders_of_the_World) seem worth to be read for a second :D
The seven blunders are:
Wealth without work.
Pleasure without conscience.
Knowledge without character.
Commerce without morality.
Science without humanity.
Worship without sacrifice.
Politics without principle.

Another thing are the Deja Vus. I have the theory (but obviously don't believe it) that your whole life is already determinated and "written" into your brain. When you are dreaming, you may catch a glimpse of it (known as Deja Vu) and remember it later when you experience the moment. That said, our life itself has to have some purpose for a greater thing and so there wouldn't be a point in afterlife anyway if you already did your part for the greater thing. Well, maybe you will be revived in some form to witness it.
On a side note, I define destiny by that what you are doing. So writing these words now is my destiny, as it is your's to read them and probably doubt my theory. If you think life has no meaning if there's such a destiny, thinking that is your destiny too. You can't escape it as you can't escape death. And it's all written into your brain, you're just unable to get the key. (And that would be some kind of mind f*ck since you would read how you read how you read how you read *brain melting* Well, probably that's why everyone who unlocked his destiny chamber is dead by now. Oh, and of course that was his destiny, derp.)

Subsonic
January 8th, 2012, 01:31 PM
This is a very opinionated subject. You only know once you die. I do hope for reincarnation of some sort, though.

an illegible mess.
January 9th, 2012, 07:08 PM
it's a very odd subject for me. i don't necessarily believe in god or heaven or hell or the devil. i just believe that there is a kind of after life we go to, which is our own paradise that we always dreamed of. i don't believe that other people join you there unless you want them there.

as for the people who are evil or who have done evil things, i believe they get a second chance and are reincarnated into an animal. as an animal, they are willing to experience life in a different way and may embrace it more.

that's just my theory. i don't think anybody else has come up with it before xD.

twocows
January 10th, 2012, 05:16 AM
What's good and evil is subjective, not objective
Yeah, the majority of those who study moral philosophy would disagree with you, myself included. While some of us may disagree about how to define good and evil, most of us agree there is some sort of base measure by which we can associate something with either good or evil. If it's "all subjective," the words "good" and "evil" become meaningless.

Yoshikko
January 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Yeah, the majority of those who study moral philosophy would disagree with you, myself included. While some of us may disagree about how to define good and evil, most of us agree there is some sort of base measure by which we can associate something with either good or evil. If it's "all subjective," the words "good" and "evil" become meaningless.
I kind of agree, but I think only to a certain extent yeah, it can even depend on culture because morals are different everywhere.

Cariad
January 10th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I still believe that once we died we go to heaven. However, I don't believe we stay there. I believe in reincarnation as a reward, and a new start to do over your sins. I believe only people who kill without regret go to hell. Meh, my beliefs are varied.

Amachi
January 10th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I kind of agree, but I think only to a certain extent yeah, it can even depend on culture because morals are different everywhere.
No, there are such things as objective morals that span across cultures, religions and civilisations. For instance, in pretty much every religion and civilisation, "the Golden Rule" has appeared (do unto others as you would have them do unto you). However, that is a bit of a weak example, as it being the majority doesn't mean that it's 100% objective.

I think some good examples of morals which are natural are those which are adaptive, that help us to survive and to pass on our genetic material. For men, it is morals such as loyalty, independence, aggression and courage that help us do that. This behaviour has been passed down from our ancestors to us, because they had such morals, they were able to reproduce.

Of course, there are all different types of morals, so what I've stated above is just part of one type.

I need to sleep, this is ridiculous.

Gold warehouse
January 10th, 2012, 03:53 PM

I study philosophy as well yeah.

Everything in society is subjective, and morals are totally a social construct. We were not given a natural instinct to base our morals upon. They've merely been established across the centuries humans have existed. "Value the life of others" a common one, most people agree it is morally correct to value life. But how long has murder been condemned universally by society? Not that long. As little as 70 years ago, it was accepted by much of the population in the western world that murder was okay in certain situations. Even today, it is acceptable; in war, it is perfectly fine to murder somebody, yet very little people claim that soldiers lack morals, or that a soldier is evil.

The words good and evil are meaningless. They are simple terms used to give simple descriptions to simple actions.

Harley Quinn
January 10th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Speaking of immortality then, what are your thoughts on pseudo immortality? Let's take an example to clarify. Overlord Drakow has taken over the world, riding on the back of his Hydreigon to victory like a true Dark lord. The embodiment of the supreme ruler is sculptured and his image is also painted on massive canvases. His reign of terror is written down in the history books to be preserved throughout the ages. Although Drakow will eventually die one way or another, his impact on the world will never be forgotten. The concept is pretty much the same for any famous person. If the other extreme is considered, it could be argued that as long as one person remembers someone who has died, they will "live on in their memory". In essence it's a form of immortality. Even if someone dies and say that's it for them - no rebirth or going to Heaven / Hell - what would your stance be on the claim that they will still live on in the memories of the people who closely interacted with the deceased being?

Sorry, I forgot I posted in this, lol.
Of course it's a form of immortality. It may not be a physical form of immortality, where you, 'Overlord Drakow', are living, breathing and conscious of your existence (well, you don't technically 'exist', at this point you're a skeleton or adamantium or whatever you are made out of) but you have been made immortal through your actions. To address your question, though: what would your stance be on the claim that they will still live on in the memories of the people who closely interacted with the deceased being?
Well, immortality would mean that you would live forever, whether it be a physical form or in the form of a memory, as you stated. As time goes by, the people who were with you in your lifetime will die and their children will die and so forth. Assuming your explots and teachings were passed down through the generations, it will be like a game of chinese whispers. The solid objects your teachings were written on will eventually degrade and the stories about you that were told by word of mouth will eventually change or stop completely. But, the way I see it is, as long as someone you put in place is still going around, no matter what form it may be in, you are technically 'immortal.'
Does that answer your question, Overlord Drakow?

The Void
January 13th, 2012, 10:41 PM
It's a shame we don't faint like Pokemon so we wouldn't die lol

Well, I am Catholic, which means I believe in heaven, hell, purgatory, etc, etc.
So I'm not really afraid to die or anything but I'll be sad to know that I will die without leaving any mark whatsoever here one Earth.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
January 14th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I would love to belive we relive our lives, but i really think we just perish, we enter an eternal slumber.

Riko
January 14th, 2012, 08:00 AM
we go to the result of our good deeds or bad sins

femtrooper
January 15th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I don't think anything happens at all. I think you are gone...but not necessarily forgotten. I suppose that it bothers me that I believe that, but it's logical. Why would I go to some magical place afterwards. I don't believe in religion, thus I don't believe in heaven. If something awesome happens, so be it, but for now, I think nothing happens.

Nutella
January 16th, 2012, 01:28 AM
As an atheist, I think that when we die, that's it. There's no such thing as an afterlife, reincarnation, etc. You either rot in your coffin or get charred and placed in an urn.

Controversial?
January 16th, 2012, 02:08 AM
We either go to Heaven or a plane full of constantly screaming babies.

Gamzee
January 16th, 2012, 06:48 AM
When we die, our brain functions cease and our bodies shall be returned to the universe, whether in the form of ashes, or our flesh in coffins, at the bottom of the ocean, under a tree, wherever it might be. It will be returned, just like the future generations will eventually be returned, as the Earth itself will be returned to the universe in a form of energy once the sun consumes it.

As for our consciousness? Oblivion. However, I like the idea of there being some sort of paradise or reincarnation, but I ain't getting my hopes up.

ナギ
January 16th, 2012, 07:34 AM
when i was little, i used to think the same as someone posted above: if there is no scientific proof of what happens after death, and all religions have their own idea of the afterlife and no religion is superior to others.. i thought then that that must mean that whatever you believe in, that is what will happen to you.
at the time, that thought scared me though. my parents aren't religious, so i'm not, either. so i don't believe in heaven, nor hell, nor purgatory, nor reincarnation, nor an Underworld of some sort. so then what will happen to me? i didn't want to disappear into nothingness, after all.

later on.. i guess i just started caring less. i now really do believe that when we die, our bodies decay, and as our brain function stops, so does our consciousness cease to exist.

in high school, we read the old greek text of Socrates' death. if i remember correctly, Socrates describes death once as an endless, dreamless sleep, and thus not as a particularly bad thing. if i had a night like that, i'm usually well-rested even though it felt like it it was a short night.
i guess if it 'feels' like that when you die, i wouldn't mind being 'asleep' like that forever.

whoops, sorry.. in the end it really became a huge ramble :x

Oryx
January 18th, 2012, 11:34 AM
it's a very odd subject for me. i don't necessarily believe in god or heaven or hell or the devil. i just believe that there is a kind of after life we go to, which is our own paradise that we always dreamed of. i don't believe that other people join you there unless you want them there.

as for the people who are evil or who have done evil things, i believe they get a second chance and are reincarnated into an animal. as an animal, they are willing to experience life in a different way and may embrace it more.

that's just my theory. i don't think anybody else has come up with it before xD.

How does the intelligence of animals factor into your theory? For example, animals can't really tell the difference between right and wrong in a reasoning way the way we can. They seem to know things are wrong in our house, but usually that's just because they know they've gotten punished for something in the past or something similar. How would an animal be able to 'embrace life' in that way? Do you believe they retain their human memories?

It's a shame we don't faint like Pokemon so we wouldn't die lol

Well, I am Catholic, which means I believe in heaven, hell, purgatory, etc, etc.
So I'm not really afraid to die or anything but I'll be sad to know that I will die without leaving any mark whatsoever here one Earth.

Are you Catholic because you believe in these things, or do you believe in them because you're Catholic?

lucario giavlés
January 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Valhalla is the simple answer, see you all there young warriors.

c ya thar!

When we die, someone says, we go away from our body as a soul, we go in a strange place that we see what we've done those many years from our life and then our soul goes into another body, known as afterlife. It sounds very creepy. Some people may remember situations that they didn't attend...

i hope its true... i hope its true

That or we rise in a zombie apocalypse.

not possable, a virus is needed fer it 2 happen aswell as a living host

good point

Back to the source and get recycled in one form or another.

liek a computer program getting parts erased... or an animation resetting

anyway, i belive we r all 1 person in diffrent bodies, its called "an egg (http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/An_Egg)"

shenanigans
January 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I don't really know what I believe, lol. On one hand I have some beliefs that God exists, but I don't follow the idea of heaven and hell. On the other I don't really believe (or want to believe; it's the same outcome lol) that there's nothing at all. Maybe some part of us (I don't know if it'd be called a soul) comes back in some other life, but without knowing it? So right now you could have had a load of previous lives that you didn't know about. That's what I'm most comfortable believing.

...but since you have no recollection of it, you might as well as have just died and that's the end of it lmao.

Inler
January 18th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I can't be sure. I'd like to believe in the concept of heaven and hell; seems the most consequential, no? Also, reincarnation would be interesting.

Fluorescent Dinosaur
January 18th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I'm constantly amazed by the beauty of the world. I honestly have no idea what happens after death - no one does. I'm content in knowing that anything is possible.

XEL
January 18th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Honestly, I believe that nothing happens. Heaven may seem nice but it's all too convenient. I'm perfectly content with nothing happening, too. From how I see it, humans are afraid of death. Heaven was just created as a mechanism to lessen that fear. Being afraid of death means you'll always be tied down because of that. If you just accept that death will happen and is inescapable, I feel like you'd be set free. I know I'll die some day, but I don't let it worry me.

Pudz
January 20th, 2012, 01:48 AM
I never really was satisfied with explanations for the after-life, so one day I sat down and came up with my own. It's... mm... I guess it's sort of like Buddhism with a romantic, humanistic twist.

In my belief, what people call "souls" are made up of energy, and when we die that energy leaves our bodies. But the difference between what people think of as "souls" and energy is that a soul is one unified being, whereas energy is a quantity. Who's to say two souls can't converge into one with a strong enough force of attraction? That's sort of the standard theory for this belief.

The theory originates a lot from the idea of reincarnation, where when one organism dies its soul transfers into another organism. The only real difference in my belief is that if two people form a strong love for each other that attraction can pull two souls together into one. Of course, since each body only requires a certain amount of energy to function, that soul would split into two mixed products with the exact same energy signature. In theory, this means that anywhere in the world you have that one other person who is destined for you.

Now, a lot of people find their soul mates, right? There can't possibly be only one person for everyone. The chances of finding that person are so slim.
But what if having the same energy signature as someone changed minor details in your life? Say your "soul mate" wanted a sandwich from one specific place. Because you both have the same energy signature, perhaps you also want that sandwich. And then you two bump into each other as coincidence. The point is that having the same energy signature can take the limitless number of variables in every day life and match them up between individuals, increasing their chances of meeting.

Not everything lines up perfectly. While it is true that the same energy signature can line up a ton of variables for you, they might not always be the right ones. Beyond that, some people don't even try finding their soul mates, or don't listen to their impulses. And some people don't even have a match yet - their energy signature never paired with someone in the past and they've yet to find someone they love enough to match with. In short - get out there and do stuff. That's really the best advice.

There is no doubt you can love more than one person in your life. Say your husband died serving your country and you found someone else years later. And you love them both so much. That's because while you can only share an energy signature with one person, you can still come close to matching other people. And you could live the rest of your life happily with one of those people. But anyone who found their "one" will tell you - when you have your soul-mate you know it. And there isn't a doubt in the world.

And that's... my belief on the after-life. Phew...

Empoleon144
January 24th, 2012, 06:24 PM
We become a part of a greater existence. It's called the Earth.