PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Revolution/N5

Carlito-san
January 1st, 2005, 09:00 AM
Ninty said it WILL NOT have A,B,and a D-pad/Analog stick.Speculate?

Shinin
January 1st, 2005, 09:09 AM
They did? What the heck? That's not true.

Carlito-san
January 1st, 2005, 09:23 AM
No,they said that.NP mag even said it.I wonder how you will play the games.0_o

Shinin
January 1st, 2005, 09:54 AM
It says that in NP? Lemme check...

EDIT: Where does it say that?

Flaming Torchic
January 1st, 2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I read this on Nintendojo.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but if it is, then it makes me wonder what Nintendo is up to. The D-pad and A and B buttons are essential in playing most games (well, maybe no so much the D-pad), so I'm curious about what they are planning. Perhaps you'll just use a mic for the next console, and say what you want your characters to do, or maybe it'll be like virtual reality games.

Still though, I'm having trouble believing that is true, so I'll take with a grain of salt for now.

Shinin
January 1st, 2005, 10:12 AM
Give me a link to where it says that.

Lucifer
January 1st, 2005, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by IGNCube
December 23, 2004 - Earlier this week, the respected Japanese business magazine Shuukan Diamond reported in its 2005 Preview Edition that the Nintendo Revolution Controller will not feature a directional pad or A and B buttons.

If the news turns out to be true, Revolution would be the first Nintendo console to not feature a D-Pad and the A/B button combo. Nintendo has long said that it seeks to innovate with new control mechanisms, as evidenced by the inclusion of a touch screen on the Nintendo DS.
Given the focus of setting the A and B buttons on the GameCube controller apart from the now industry standard four-button layout, it will be interesting to see what new setup Nintendo is planning to bring to the table.

According to Shuukan Diamond, the wait will not be long. The magazine reports that Nintendo will debut GameCube's successor at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, May 2005.

None of the magazine's claims were substantiated by Nintendo, but given the publication's track record of accurate business reporting since 1913, we'd be surprised if Diamond's claims turned out to be false.

More soon.

This news worries me.

Shinin
January 1st, 2005, 10:20 AM
They never said anything about X, Y, L, R buttons, the C stick and the control stick :)

Lucifer
January 1st, 2005, 10:27 AM
Yes, but it also means that the controller's focus could shift to other areas. It's widely-known that the N Revolution won't be your standard next-gen console, which paves the way for all sorts of weird and non-wonderful gimmicks such as infra red motion sensoring. You could be playing the next Zelda game by waving a makeshift sword around in the air like a spanner.

Nintendo want to "go back to basics", since they feel controller configurations have become too complex and are alienating new users. Quite how they figure that one out I'll never know.

Kairi
January 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM
Yes, Nintendo fears games like Kirby Air Ride (which uses only the A button) are so much more complex, thus not as popular as games like GTA (which uses every button on the controller)…

This –is- disturbing. Pulling this little stunt on the DS is one thing, but if they try to “innovate” too much they’re going to find themselves done in. Controllers have worked this way and provided excellent control for years and years. They can’t see that?

Pogiforce-14
January 1st, 2005, 10:59 AM
the DS was a good innovation. I surprised you people don't see that. Afraid of change, I suppose. Such old schoolers. Zelda WW was looked at as a terrible game since it wasn the realistic graphics shown at E3. But look at how it turned out. Possibly teh best game ever on GC. You people need to have an open mind.

Shinin
January 1st, 2005, 11:19 AM
Only losers thought that WW would be horrible. And it's not the best game on the GCN. It was too short.

Carlito-san
January 1st, 2005, 11:31 AM
It has props in the top 10,though.And yes,I knew it!Thanks for posting the article,lucifer.
But Innovation is a good thing.I think it will have motion detectors.That tech is used already.They will probably enhance it to put in a video game.

Kairi
January 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM
I -do- have an open mind, and I’m not saying the innovations are poor. I don’t have the right, nor do you to say the DS’s are good. There aren’t enough games out yet to make that call.

They are however, risky, in the sense they’re very new and much different. And what this article states is the next Nintendo Console is going to tamper with the very fabric of gaming that has done so much for us over the past twenty years. Again—risky, and IMO not the smartest move.

The graphic style in TWW wasn’t an original venture. Others had done cel-shading before. “Old-school” is part o Nintendo’s appeal, I wouldn’t think you’d condemn it.

Carlito-san
January 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM
I -do- have an open mind, and Im not saying the innovations are poor. I dont have the right, nor do you to say the DSs are good. There arent enough games out yet to make that call.

They are however, risky, in the sense theyre very new and much different. And what this article states is the next Nintendo Console is going to tamper with the very fabric of gaming that has done so much for us over the past twenty years. Againrisky, and IMO not the smartest move.

The graphic style in TWW wasnt an original venture. Others had done cel-shading before. Old-school is part o Nintendos appeal, I wouldnt think youd condemn it.
That directed to me?

Kairi
January 1st, 2005, 11:43 AM
Directed at Pogiforce. Sorry for the confusion.

Carlito-san
January 1st, 2005, 11:53 AM
Ok.But Pogi has a point.Innovation is good.The DS is making money because of....Innovation!!!

Kairi
January 1st, 2005, 11:58 AM
It’s making money for the same reason the PSP will.
Not because of innovation.
Not because of graphics
Because of games, and dedicated fans. That’s why.

Lucifer
January 1st, 2005, 12:01 PM
Only losers thought that WW would be horrible. And it's not the best game on the GCN. It was too short.

Game length has nothing to do with quality, and TWW wasn't that short anyway.

Nintendo claim that the usual console updates such as improved graphics and power no longer encapture the gaming public. Obviously their market research team is doing far from a bang-up job at the minute...

Carlito-san
January 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM
Look at it this way.

DS-No microphone,no touch screen,1 screen.No wirelessPlays N64 graphics.

Would anyone in they're right mind want that?That is **** compared to the PSP.But,the real DS,is what is innovative,and that is why any one wants it.A 8 year old that want it probably doesnt evej know how to spell Nintendo,yet they want it.Why?Features.

Kairi
January 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM
They want it because it’s marketed it to them. And a lot of those “features” don’t hide the dated technology underneath. The features nor the graphics pull the people, it’s the game, the marketing, the fandom.

Yes, Nintendo has stated more power has stopped wooing gamers. While it’s nice to try new things, basing your entire platform onto them? Very very shaky foundation.

Carlito-san
January 1st, 2005, 12:09 PM
I Did'nt make this topic to debate about the Future.I made it to Speculate what the N5's features,designs, and styles of play would be like.

Dratini927
January 1st, 2005, 12:13 PM
I think it could mean we could have a touch screen as a controller. If they are taking away they standard moving, then...how else are you going to move? The touch screen would seem like the only logical way of moving then. Unless Nintendo is going to figure out, and show us some new way of maneuvering in the game, the touch screen would be possibly the only way to move. Unless the system itself is going to be some futuristic model that we have never seen before in a gaming system.

Lucifer
January 1st, 2005, 12:16 PM
I think it could mean we could have a touch screen as a controller.

Na. Nintendo have already rubbished that. It'll have nothing to do with any touch-sensitive stuff.

Carlito-san
January 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM
Maybe a eyetoy type thing in the controller?Heat sensors?Mind reading stuff?(that's possible,it was on FOX news)

Dratini927
January 1st, 2005, 02:49 PM
Hmm, then we'll just have to really wait and see. We do have some thoughtful ideas here, and when we get more information on this new system, I'm sure at least someone here will have had an idea that is actually true about it.

Shinin
January 2nd, 2005, 05:20 AM
Maybe a eyetoy type thing in the controller?Heat sensors?Mind reading stuff?(that's possible,it was on FOX news)
Mind reading stuff? That would be awesome.

Pogiforce-14
January 4th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I -do- have an open mind, and Im not saying the innovations are poor. I dont have the right, nor do you to say the DSs are good. There arent enough games out yet to make that call.

They are however, risky, in the sense theyre very new and much different. And what this article states is the next Nintendo Console is going to tamper with the very fabric of gaming that has done so much for us over the past twenty years. Againrisky, and IMO not the smartest move.

The graphic style in TWW wasnt an original venture. Others had done cel-shading before. Old-school is part o Nintendos appeal, I wouldnt think youd condemn it.It was, however, the first time it was applied to a zelda game, plus Cel-shading was rarely used before and was seen as a risky innovation, much like you think the DS is. In fact, I would venture to say it was thanks to WWs success that increased the number of cell shaded games on the market, the newer Budokai games for one.

and you contradict yourself. If you think neither of us can judge the DS since it just came out, than you have no right to judge the Nintendo Revolution and call it a bad move when for right now all this is is speculation. The system doesn't even have an specs provided. :\

And there is a difference between "Classic" and old school". "classic" means long lasting franchises that have proven themselves worthy over the years. the way you defined "Old school". "Old school." is just plain old. like the original NES with it's 8 bit graphics and plain storylines. In comparison to modern gaming, that is nothing. And that is old school. And as the years progress, what we have now is starting to look old school. I say Nintendo is making the right move deciding it's time to move on to the next step.

Shinin
January 4th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Classic=Mario
Old School=Mario Bros.

Ryoutarou
January 4th, 2005, 12:33 PM
It was, however, the first time it was applied to a zelda game, plus Cel-shading was rarely used before and was seen as a risky innovation, much like you think the DS is. In fact, I would venture to say it was thanks to WWs success that increased the number of cell shaded games on the market, the newer Budokai games for one.

and you contradict yourself. If you think neither of us can judge the DS since it just came out, than you have no right to judge the Nintendo Revolution and call it a bad move when for right now all this is is speculation. The system doesn't even have an specs provided. :\

And there is a difference between "Classic" and old school". "classic" means long lasting franchises that have proven themselves worthy over the years. the way you defined "Old school". "Old school." is just plain old. like the original NES with it's 8 bit graphics and plain storylines. In comparison to modern gaming, that is nothing. And that is old school. And as the years progress, what we have now is starting to look old school. I say Nintendo is making the right move deciding it's time to move on to the next step.
That wasn't contradicatory at all, she just said it would tamper with the way most games have been known to run, anything that isn't part of the handheld world at least.

Pogiforce-14
January 4th, 2005, 01:32 PM
she is contradicting herself, because she said it isn't right to judge an innovations so fairly new and then goes and judges a system not even out yet as a bad idea.

If that isn't contradictory, then I guess instead it would be called "not practicing what you preach."

Ryoutarou
January 4th, 2005, 02:09 PM
She didn't say it would make it a bad system, just that it would really change the way something works. And it will, I mean this seems like a REALLY unneeded change.

Pogiforce-14
January 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Right there she basically condemns the new innovation of the Revolution as a bad idea before the sytem is even made. So yes, she did not "practice what she preached."

frankly, that sort of conservative attitude doesn't run a game company. The make their living coming up with innovations.

WolfWood
January 4th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I just hope the Revolution has online. That would help Nintendo out so much.

Pogiforce-14
January 4th, 2005, 03:11 PM
That I believe it would. BEcause that and Halo is all that is truly Carrying Xbox IMO, I think it would be a good addition to the Nintendo REvolution.

WolfWood
January 4th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah Halo and KOTOR is the only thing the X-BOX has that's worth playing.

Shinin
January 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I play KotOR on my PC. It's better than the XBox version, and KotOR 2's PC version will be better then the XBox one.

Carlito-san
January 4th, 2005, 04:02 PM
it will be.The DS willbe online,the GBE will most likely be online,this will likely go online.

Ryoutarou
January 4th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Ya, not sure about the GBE though. But this one should be online, there would have to be a bigger amount of good games that'd play well online.

WolfWood
January 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah I just wish the GCN had online I want to play Super Smash Bros online.

TRIFORCE89
January 5th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Oh my the D-Pad is gone. Is that a huge loss. Has it really been used at all on the GCN? Nope. The majority is all the Control Stick. That doesn't bother me at all.

It's the A and B button loss that irks me. I have heard some slight speculation that the A and B buttons will be replaces with something that you can apply pressure too. Kinda like the GCN L and R buttons. That would be interesting I think. I think I couold see that working. Driving...speed changes depending how far down or how fast you hit the button, in a fighting game the strength of your punch depends on the force you apply to the button, etc. I hope that's the way it's going.

I certainly hope that it's not a touch screen. I can't see that in a controller at all. Voice technology might be present, but hopefully it's something above Mario Party 6 and not the only support.

Pogiforce-14
January 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM
I personally think they're jsut renaming the buttons at most and that it's all just speculation. :P

Brittany
January 5th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Right there she basically condemns the new innovation of the Revolution as a bad idea before the sytem is even made. So yes, she did not "practice what she preached."

frankly, that sort of conservative attitude doesn't run a game company. The make their living coming up with innovations.
She didn't condemn it, she just said it's risky. Also, note the 'IMO' part- If she thinks it's a risk, then let it be. Since the system isn't released yet, attacking an opinion is risky itself, and also rude.

And the innovations aren't known yet, so whether or not they will make a living on this system is unknown. For all anyone knows, these new 'innovations' might just run it into the ground.

Personally, I think that Nintendo is only focusing on innovations right now, because they can't keep up with Sony's PS3(and it's spectacular cell) and PSP, and Micro$oft's next X-Box. I think that these 'innovations' are their last resort. Just my two cents though- nobody knows what they're really up to.

Carlito-san
January 5th, 2005, 03:29 PM
No analog stick either.^_^

I really think pressure pads.

Pogiforce-14
January 5th, 2005, 03:48 PM
She didn't condemn it, she just said it's risky. Also, note the 'IMO' part- If she thinks it's a risk, then let it be. Since the system isn't released yet, attacking an opinion is risky itself, and also rude.

And the innovations aren't known yet, so whether or not they will make a living on this system is unknown. For all anyone knows, these new 'innovations' might just run it into the ground.

Personally, I think that Nintendo is only focusing on innovations right now, because they can't keep up with Sony's PS3(and it's spectacular cell) and PSP, and Micro$oft's next X-Box. I think that these 'innovations' are their last resort. Just my two cents though- nobody knows what they're really up to.System bashing, Brittany. You should know the rules, being a mod. Your opinion, albeit just your opinion, is offensive and an instigation for a heated arguement, most of which end in flaming. You need to be careful about what you say, because if it is offensive people like me who don't approve of such an offense will strike back.

And a suggestion about opinion making: if you truly want to avoid an arguement, be more objective and don't be so biased towards Sony you can't see the forest for the trees. The point of a debate (even though this originally wasn't intended to be.) Is to make them understand your point in a calm mature manner. Not through aggressive use of negative comments.

And attacking an opinion is not rude. It's called debating. If you can't handle a mature debate, you can leave.

Brittany
January 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM
System bashing, Brittany. You should know the rules, being a mod. Your opinion, albeit just your opinion, is offensive and an instigation for a heated arguement, most of which end in flaming. You need to be careful about what you say, because if it is offensive people like me who don't approve of such an offense will strike back.

And a suggestion about opinion making: if you truly want to avoid an arguement, be more objective and don't be so biased towards Sony you can't see the forest for the trees. The point of a debate (even though this originally wasn't intended to be.) Is to make them understand your point in a calm mature manner. Not through aggressive use of negative comments.

And attacking an opinion is not rude. It's called debating. If you can't handle a mature debate, you can leave.
The reason of why most arguments I'm in end in flaming, is because some people can't accept the fact that their personal preferance isn't shared by all, and can't cease to leave people's personal preferances and opinions alone, and/or let them be.

Nobody here is trying to debate, except for you. Why? Nobody has evidence to back their opinion, let alone disprove or approve another's. This isn't a debate thread, it is just discussing the veiws and opinions on the machine at this point in time.

Unless you're developing Nintendo's next console, you(nor anyone else here) knows anything about their plans, so debating on something non-existant isn't really fun or smart. Just my two cents- but to continue arguing about such a trivial matter(at the moment), is arrogant, and some may consider it rude.

If you want to reply, please do it via PM.

Pogiforce-14
January 5th, 2005, 04:22 PM
then frankly, if you don't want to debate don't post an offensive opinion. show some tact for a change.

and the reason why all debates you are in end in flaming is because you push your Sony worship in an offensive and rude manner that is frankly very frustrating. So don't go blaming your short temper on everyone else.

I'll be dropping this issue here, because more than likely I'll be recieving more of that infamous short temper from you. have a nice day.

TRIFORCE89
January 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I think we can get rid of a dual screen console idea. I found this at IGN (don't make a comment. I can't see any way they can mess up a quote).

No. At a June 2004 analyst briefing in Japan, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said: We have no intention of making a two screen console akin to the [Nintendo] DS."

Brittany
January 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I think we can get rid of a dual screen console idea. I found this at IGN (don't make a comment. I can't see any way they can mess up a quote).
Very good news in my opinion.

Carlito-san
January 7th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Wha....how could a console be dual screen?that isnt posible.>.<